Give them a hammering

Next up it's the Hammers and with Pienaar seemingly "gone" I thought the following setup would give us something we've been craving all season... a goalfest:

Howard
Coleman Jagielka Heitinga  Baines
      Anichebe   Neville   Fellaini   Arteta
           Saha     Beckford
With Rodwell coming on for Neville second half and Bily on for Saha.

Jay Harris, Florida     Posted 18/01/2011 at 13:47:14

Comments

James Elworthy
1   Posted 18/01/2011 at 15:23:03

Why on earth would you want Phil Neville alongside Fellaini, there is about as much creativity in that midfield as a nursery school arts and crafts lesson.

I see the little shit Pienaar the greedy mercenary is off to Spurs according to Twitter.

Phil Bellis
2   Posted 18/01/2011 at 15:26:22

Jay, what's happened to Distin? Has he signed for Barcelona?
Liam Reilly
3   Posted 18/01/2011 at 15:27:02

Never going to happen

Neville will be right back and Osman will be on the left. Moyes won't change that 11 after that "incredible" result across Stanley Park, except maybe to bring Saha back in for Anichebe.
Anthony Hughes
4   Posted 18/01/2011 at 15:31:13

Is that set up designed to keep Ossie away from left mid? No Anichebe for me thanks.
David Barks
5   Posted 18/01/2011 at 15:33:59

So you take an attacking player out of midfield and put him in defense, put a defenseman out of defense and into the midfield, and completely leave out our best defender all season. Is this a joke. I usually don't get sucked into these discussions but come on now.
Phil Bellis
6   Posted 18/01/2011 at 15:36:59

Hmmm...tough one - which goal machine would you want - Distin or Jags? Depends which way you're kicking, I suppose
Jay Harris
7   Posted 18/01/2011 at 15:48:24

What a typo it should have been Distin instead of Heitinga.

I feel with such an attack minded setup we need to contain their 2 big lumps up front and be wary of set pieces and with players who are comfortable on the ball there will be no need for Jags to lump it up front.
Alan Ross
8   Posted 18/01/2011 at 15:47:11

I'd change Fellaini for Hibbert........put him in goal and have Howard in attack in a 4-4-3 formation. With the March hare and the White rabbit coming on at half time.
Jay Harris
9   Posted 18/01/2011 at 15:51:45

David I feel this is a good opportunity for Coleman to get a runout in what will undoubtedly be his future position and we have been lacking a bit of modfield bite so I chose Neville but it was close with Rodwell who once he is back to form would be my first choice.

I also think big Vic who looks better on the right than the left will link up well with Coleman.
Sean McCarthy
10   Posted 18/01/2011 at 16:18:39

Have you been drinking????
Shaun Brennan
11   Posted 18/01/2011 at 16:24:53

Coleman has excelled on the wing this season, keep him there. Therefore Neville right back

I'd keep Heitinga and Distin together for now.

Saha will prob be injured, So big vic upfront.

Arteta back to midfield.

I'll bring my boots along so i'll go on the left.
Colin McBride
12   Posted 18/01/2011 at 16:18:50

I have not been craving to see Coleman at right back, he's not great at defending which is why he was moved to right midfield. Neville is useless in midfield, he is a right back (although limited at going forward). Arteta on the left will mean no support for Baines as he will always move infield and leave Baines unsupported and hence unable to attack as much as he does with Pienaar there. Better to have the big fella in midfield with Arteta and Billy on the left. Coleman or Osman right midfield. Don't know about anyone else but Heitinga scares me, I think he's gonna get sent off every game so I much prefer Distan's odd mistake to the worry about Heitinga. Saha or Anichebe and Beckford up front. That leaves Rodwell and either Osman or Coleman on the bench with Heitenga and Hibbert and one of the strikers.

So

Howard
Neville Jags Distan Baines
Coleman Arteta Fellaini Billy
Saha Beckford

Rodwell, Osman, Guaye, Heitenga, Hibbert (also Cahill to come back in)

Still attacking enough but could do with another baines type at left back, a better striker and if Billy doesnt set everyones world alight a replacement for Pienaar on the left. Still not a bad side with good bench. Why all the doom and gloom out there?
Colin Prendergast
13   Posted 18/01/2011 at 16:24:50

Neville in midfield? I'd leave Coleman where he is for now. And I'd rather have Osman or Billy rather than Anichebe on the left. If Arteta's 'form' continues, throw Rodwell on. Options starting to look limited...
Jamie Morgan
14   Posted 18/01/2011 at 16:29:53

So Jags walks right back into the team? i quite like Heitinga and Distin together, and i though big vic put in a great shift (especially second half) at the shite.

Moyes will stick with the same starting 11, unless Saha comes through in time
David Thomas
15   Posted 18/01/2011 at 16:35:50

Colin 12,

I certainly hope it's your team that starts at the weekend and not the OP's team.

Alan McGuffog
16   Posted 18/01/2011 at 16:41:08

I've heard that Saha has a nasty tickly cough./ athletes foot / farmer giles. ( delete as applicable )
So let's stick with Vic and Beckford....at least they want to play.
Neil Vaughan
17   Posted 18/01/2011 at 16:41:01

Why would you move Coleman from mid-field to right back (where he was sometimes found wanting) and move Neville to midfield where he is absolutely SHITE..!! Leave out our most consistant defender and play Arteta & The Oaf out wide ????? The Oaf is rubbish in midfield full stop and should NEVER play there...

This is surely got to be David Moyes writing this hasn't he...cos it's got all the ingredients for one of his team selections...
Neil Vaughan
18   Posted 18/01/2011 at 16:41:01

Adam Carey
19   Posted 18/01/2011 at 16:46:33

Injuries aside, I reackon it will be the same team who played Liverpool. Beckford has finally started to find his scoring boots, Coleman can give Bridge a 'welcome back' treat and Arteta can finally find a blue shirt in the box from a corner.
Moyes made a mistake last month with his line-up and we have to give this team a going over. I've no hard feelings against West Ham but they are so ripe for a tonking...
Phil Bellis
20   Posted 18/01/2011 at 16:44:28

I think the big issue revolves around Magaye Gueye - how is his name pronounced?

My Gay Guy, MyGuy ("nothing you can do `cos"...) but Maggie Gay has better potential for a drinking song (as in "they have taken her away"...)

Always secretive about things, this club

Paul Dewhurst
21   Posted 18/01/2011 at 17:11:06

Jay I would have to say thank fuck you are in Florida and not in charge!
Howard Don
22   Posted 18/01/2011 at 17:06:14

Couldn't go with that line up Jay. Least of all Coleman at RB, I like the lad but he's not good/ready enough to play there in my opinion. Also if you want Hetinga in then on current form it has to be alongside Distin.

For me Coleman stays where he is, Nev at LB, now or never for Bily to step up on the left with Vic as impact sub 2nd half. That leaves one midfield berth for either Rodwell or Osman.
Ian Kearney
23   Posted 18/01/2011 at 17:18:16

why on earth would anyone bring in Jagielka for Jonny, he was class on Sunday an the defence looks so much better with a calm 'ball player' there.

For all his qualities, lets be honest Jagielka is a bit of an oaf, and i've seen enough of his long balls to last me a lifetime.
James Doran
24   Posted 18/01/2011 at 17:17:24

Howard @ 22: Did you mean to type 'Nev at RB'? If so, I would keep him there. I'd put Jags in at Heitinga's expense, start Anichebe on the left wing where he ran the RS ragged on Sunday and put Ossie on the bench. If Saha is fit, I'd start him with Beckford up-front.

Howard

Pip Buzz Lightyear Jags Bainesey

Coleman Screech Arteta Victor

Sick note Beckford.
Damian Scott
25   Posted 18/01/2011 at 17:45:01

Colin McBride [12]

That line-up that you posted is bang on. I think it is the line-up that Moyes will go with.

Neville should never be in midfield unless there is an injury crisis. Felliani, Arteta, Rodwell, Osman would all be better options....

Howard
Neville Jags Distan Baines
Coleman Arteta Fellaini Billy
Saha Beckford

This team has balance. What we need now is Billy to get that run in the team to get his confidence up. He is our only real option now to replace Pienaar...
Norman Merrill
26   Posted 18/01/2011 at 18:00:27

Jay, Coleman is better left alone,
We need the skipper in as well.
Phil Owen
27   Posted 18/01/2011 at 18:11:27

Colin [12] - Bang on team selection :)
Jon Cox
28   Posted 18/01/2011 at 18:40:12

It's got to be Distin and Jonny at the back. Jags is not cutting the mustard. Jags is always flustered on the ball and can't wait to get rid of it. It's like the one thing about the game he hates. THE BALL.

Also can anyone tell me what is it about Moyes that he seems to have a problem on the left with Gueye? The guys got pace, he can beat a man and could easily imho take the place of Pienaar. What the fuck are they doing on the training ground? This should have been sorted months ago.

Sorry lads but after our draw snatched from the jaws of victory, and Pienaar on his C5 I'm a bit down in the dumps at the moment. In fact i'm off to have a chat with my pet Dalek.
Jimmy Hacking
29   Posted 18/01/2011 at 19:29:53

this has got 1-1 written all over it.
Alan Stafford
30   Posted 18/01/2011 at 19:26:26

I dont care what the team is this weekend I get to watch the mighty "BLUES" at the Old Lady.

Arriving from Canada this week and got a ticket in my back pocket.

Off to the Top House for a bevie before the game......Ahhhhh life is good.
Charles King
31   Posted 18/01/2011 at 19:41:46

Alan Stafford

Welcome home brother, lets hope it's a cracker for you.
Alan Stafford
32   Posted 18/01/2011 at 19:46:07

Thanks Charles,
I'm a really old git, supported EFC for over 55 years.

It's always special for me to go to a game, usually the only way I get to watch is on the telly.

Thank god for DVRs ? no more getting up at 5:00 am to watch on Saturday & Sunday mornings.
Howard Don
33   Posted 18/01/2011 at 20:24:01

James @ 24. Yes, good spot: it was a typo, I meant Nev at RB. I had a hard time deciding whether to start with Bily or Vic on the left and you're probably right that Vic has the best claim at the moment. It's just I feel we have to make one more effort at giving Bily a run to see if his undoubted ability can finally hack it in the PL. I also have a sneaky feeling that his ability to slip a great pass and score from distance could be utilised just behind a main striker. But it'd be a heck of a gamble to start him there just when playing two up is starting to produce a few goals
Andrew James
34   Posted 18/01/2011 at 21:06:13

I reckon if Moyes thinks Carlton Cole will play, he will go with Jags as opposed to Johnny. There were too many times on Sunday where Fellaini was coming back to head the ball away or we weren't clearing properly. As much as Jags drives me mad with his punts, the guy is good in the air and can clear the ball well. He's also quicker than Johnny I think.
Seamus Murphy
35   Posted 18/01/2011 at 21:10:52

Hang on a minute... do people not realise that putting Coleman to RB actually would make us more attacking?

Think about it. Currently with Neville and Coleman on the right we only have one player on the right with real attacking threat, Coleman. If we put Coleman RB with say Billy in front of him we would still get Coleman's marauding runs plus Bily's... well, glimpses.

Look at the amount of assists Baines has this season if you need to be convinced of the value of an attacking full back. He even chips in with the odd goal. He has 2 goals and 7 (yes seven) assists in the league this season. Imagine we got that from RB as well LB!

Neville has zero goals and zero assists. Big difference! I know people will say he brings leadership etc to the team but surely we would be better off with an attacking player at right back.

Jamie Sweet
36   Posted 18/01/2011 at 21:14:14

Well done Jay... you have proved that Moyes could be doing much worse with his team selections. That one stinks mate! Four players out of position and Neville in midfield. Is this a wind-up?

Colin #12 selection looks good. I fear Moyes will go with Osman instead of Bily, but I would love to see the Russian get the nod in this fixture.

I wouldn't mind sticking Rodwell in to give Arteta a little rest. Let him know he's not garunteed a start when he's playing so poorly.
Jamie Sweet
37   Posted 18/01/2011 at 21:25:33

What's the bet that whoever plays left midfield has an absolute stormer and gives Bill / Moyes an excuse for not replacing Peanuts?

Keep a close eye on that £3million we got for Pienaar. Now you see it; now you don't. Magic.
Steve Cotton
38   Posted 18/01/2011 at 22:12:12

Jamie (#38) spot on mate. We should be generating a min of £2.5M up front for the Pienaar deal and possibly £1M for James Vaughan and an up front loan payment for the Yak (possibly £500k) ?that money should be used now.

Forget the £8M we should get for Yobo and Yak in the summer, use that money now.

Adam Hammill and the Tranmere lad would be great young options for now and the future and we could get both for a total of £1.5M. We should then at least bring a quality striker on loan for the season.

Come on, Moyesey ? give us a bit of excitment in our bellies...
Jon Cox
39   Posted 18/01/2011 at 22:14:14

Money for Pienaar = Etherington. The money left over? Buy all Evertonians a pie and a pint at the next match.
Colin Prendergast
40   Posted 18/01/2011 at 22:41:17

Jon (#39) ? Money left over? They'd ask for at least £5m surely?
Jon Cox
41   Posted 18/01/2011 at 23:15:29

Colin, don't start me on inflation ffs.....
Jay Harris
42   Posted 18/01/2011 at 23:26:15

Seamus #35, ? thank God someone could see my point.

Seamus is full of energy and enthusiasm and to see him running down the flank with Vic dealing with the physical stuff would IMO be far more threatening than a Neville/Coleman combination.

After all we're not playing Real Madrid and their confidence is shaky anyway. I say all-out attack and destroy them early doors.
Jon Cox
43   Posted 18/01/2011 at 23:30:28

Howard Don (33)

I'll explain, a left winger. This is a player who has the pace and skill to beat an opponent and take the attack to the opposing team,. Overall, I have to say that at this moment in time a guy like Etherington WILL and big Vic WONT. Is there any game this season that you could show to me that dissproves my argument. Sorry mate but Vic is shite. He only did great things when we played at a slower pace in Europe. In short he's rubbish.

Wanna know what we should do? Buy Etherington, to work with Baines and buy a right back who can work with Coleman, because Nev I'm sorry to say has a great mouth but on the pitch is no more than a pub footballer. If he was mega then Coleman would have been MOTM on Sunday.
Martin Faulkner
44   Posted 19/01/2011 at 01:23:07

Howard
Nev Johnny Distin Bainsey
Coleman Arteta Felli Gueye
Saha
Becks
Subs: Mucha, Jagielka, Osman, Billy, Rodwell, Hibbert, Vaughan
Martin Faulkner
45   Posted 19/01/2011 at 01:37:07

Probably Vic instead of Vaughan on the bench given that it looks likely he's off to Celtic on loan.
Howard Don
46   Posted 19/01/2011 at 07:44:12

Jon Cox (44) thanks for the patronising sarcasm but perhaps you should pay more attention and actually read the thread. I wasn't advocating big Vic necessarily, I was responding to James (24) who was, in turn, responding to my view (22) that Billy has to be given a run in the team.

Also try to stay relevant to the thread which was about team selection for this weekend. I'll return the favour and explain this in simple terms for you. To be available for selection, players have to actually be registered with the club so the rest of us were actually discussing how to best utilise what we've got, not playing fantasy football with players we don't have.
Laurie Hartley
47   Posted 19/01/2011 at 10:55:29

Pienaar has gone, Yak has gone, Saha & Jags are injured and Tim is not available so I reckon David Moyes should take a punt against probably the worst team in the Premier League. West Ham at Goodison represents an opportunity to experiment ? faint heart never won a fair lady and all that.

Give some of the youngsters some responsibility and see what happens. Give Bily a chance in a position where he can succeed. Put Arteta out on the wing away from the 50/50 challenges.

My team for West Ham:

Howard
Neville, Heitinga, Distin, Baines
Coleman, Rodwell, Fellaini, Arteta
Bilyaletdinov, Beckford.

Regime change is what I am talking about. If you think I'm mad and "if you know yer 'istory" here are a few names to mull over: Allan Whittle, Joe Royle, Jimmy Husband, John Hurst, Roger Kenyon, Mick Lyons, David Johnson, Tommy Wright. All youngsters introduced into an established team ? all catalysts for change. COTB

Peter Warren
48   Posted 19/01/2011 at 12:03:13

Neville in midfield ? no thanks. Trying to be attacking but then no creativity in midfield. Why not play Bily or Osman instead of Neville in midfield?

Also, why take our best defender who just scored a goal out of the team?

My starting team would look nothing like that ? sorry!
BJ Farrimond
49   Posted 19/01/2011 at 11:53:38

Leave Neville out and replace him with a meat pie; give the secret weapon Gueye a go on the left.
Chris Keightley
50   Posted 19/01/2011 at 13:35:56

It's like a dolly mixture line up errrm let's put Howard at right back, Heitinga up the middle, a floating Arteta, and Beckford in the hole with Saha on his shoulders... WTF?!
Gavin Ramejkis
51   Posted 19/01/2011 at 15:28:16

If they put Spectre in defence again I'd send anyone out to run at him, he's gash.
Mick MacManus
52   Posted 19/01/2011 at 19:51:15

I would like to see:

Howard,
Neville, Distin, Heitinga, Baines,
Coleman, Arteta, Felliani, Bily,
Beckford, Saha.

I wish I could fit Rodwell into my team as well. Neville would have to be dropped and Coleman put into right back. The dilemma is it might curtail him going forward. Rodders needs more starts as does Bily. I would love to see how Bily would perform after a proper run in the team.
Mick MacManus
53   Posted 19/01/2011 at 20:02:20

Also, I believe Jags will have to bide his time on the bench as the current centre half pairing are doing well at the moment.