Members:   Log In Sign Up

Rodwell

I predicted a couple of years back Rodwell would be a great player and I mean great ? I mean a Neville Southall, a Beckenbauer.

I'm becoming increasingly pessimistic; don't get me wrong I haven't written him off, but I'm failing to see the potential as I did when we knocked Villa out the cup etc a couple seasons back.

I'm a great believer that you need 10 games in a run to find form and now Pienaar is gone, I would stick Rodwell in the middle with Arteta out wide. If Arteta finds form, I'd immediately put him back in the middle (and I was going crazy for ages that it took Moyes years to put him there) but enough is enough, he hasn't produced all season so let's see if our wonder kid is up for the job and can turn into a Gerrard, which I previously believed he could...
Peter Warren, Liverpool     Posted 19/01/2011 at 21:42:22

Comments

Jamie Sweet
1   Posted 20/01/2011 at 03:42:46

I'm not keen on sticking Arteta out wide. I'd rather see him benched for a few games, he simply is not performing at the moment. No place in the starting line up should be taken for granted and I think the best little Spaniard needs a little reminder of this.

However, I'm not sure Moyes always makes his selections based on form and I expect to see him start vs West Ham. Would be a good game to give Rodders a run though imo.
Les Martin
2   Posted 20/01/2011 at 04:01:32

Peter, I believe you are not wrong in your assumptions, Rodwell has the potential to do anything, he has the talent and the physical stature as well as maturity to be the hottest talent in the UK, there is no doubt about that.

The Premier League as we know is a rough place for a young player especially in midfield where there is a lot of thugs posing as footballers, Moyes wants to protect him a little.
Moyes knows what he has on his hands, and I think by the end of this season Rodwell will be given his head, and the Rodwell-Fellaini midfield will be envied by all.
A £50M player, in my mind no doubt; let's hope he is still wearing a blue shirt.

Graeme Hodgkinson
3   Posted 20/01/2011 at 06:03:48

Following Les's remarks of thugs:

Peter, don't expect to come on here and start shouting your desire for Rodwell to follow in the footsteps of one of the most despised gobshites on the planet, and get away with it. Rodwell has potential, but I'd keep your lines of comparison firmly in the direction of, say, Patrick Viera, perhaps Frank Lampard/Rio Ferdinand if he retains an attacking/defensive role long term. Even a Howard Kendall, Harvey, or Reid comparison might be fitting, if you know your history, o'course! But leave Liverpools over-hyped, under performing, media fuelled player romanticism to those who who are paid to do exactly that...lawrenson, Hanson and big nose are on the TV far too much for mine and many other peoples liking already...
Rob Teo
4   Posted 20/01/2011 at 07:15:13

I'm not sure if Moyes is actually protecting Rodwell by not playing him, Les.

I think Jamie's right in saying that Moyes doesn't always play according to who's on form and who's not. I'll even go on to add that it's my belief that he plays who he thinks are his best players on paper first than actually having the balls to go with the reality of who the best players are on the field.

Hence, Arteta or Heitinga will always take precedence over Rodders. Even Osman, presumably because he's got more premiership experience. That's my belief anyway....
Anthony Hughes
5   Posted 20/01/2011 at 08:05:45

A talent with great potential no doubt but a future 50 million pound player, really Les??

The likes of Ronaldo and Messi maybe, who score 30 goals a season with another 20 assists.

Rodwell has the chance to be a very good Premier League player but to be worth that sort of money he needs to be in the top 2 or 3 players in the world.

Andy Codling
6   Posted 20/01/2011 at 08:11:03

What's the point in protecting Rodwell? After all, it will only benefit some other club when we sell him in the summer, in another drawn out saga which will take weeks of sayings like "he's not for sale for fifty million pounds","he's simply not for sale", "I had the boy on the phone crying" and all the usual character assasination crap and then we will end up selling him for about £15 million with add-ons depending on the buying club's success. Deja Vu
Howard Don
7   Posted 20/01/2011 at 08:10:43

Graeme (3) Gerrard may be despised, over hyped, a gobshite or whatever else you care to throw at him. But unless you're completely blinded by bigotry one thing is for certain he is one hell of a footballing talent, and driving influence, (and ok a diving cheat as well) without whom the RS would have been sunk years ago.

We may dislike him intensely but I tell you what, the OP from Peter is right, I'll be delighted if Rodwell achieves that standard of play, absolutely delighted.
Lee Courtliff
8   Posted 20/01/2011 at 08:40:46

I just don't get all the hype over Rodwell. Promising, decent young player. That's it. Gerrard maybe a diving Kopite but I would have one Steven Gerrard over two Jack Rodwells. Obviously I hope he becomes as good as Stevie GBH but he has a long way to go. A long, long way.
Tony J Williams
9   Posted 20/01/2011 at 08:58:10

On his day that diving assaulting (allegedly) gobshite is one of the few worthy of the title World Class.

If young Jack gets to be half the player he is I will be a happy Blue. He has caught the Arteta bug, in that he can only pass backwards and sidewards. I miss the Jack that ran at Man Ure to make it 3-1
Dave Lynch
10   Posted 20/01/2011 at 09:14:41

Rodwell is not the dynamic explosive player the other red gobshite is.

He is though more of a Beckenbaur type player in that he has the capability, if ever allowed to display it. To control the pace of a game.

Beckanbaur was superb at this, he would run the game from the middle of the park and could link back to front the whole team.

If Rodwell becomes a shadow of the player Beckenbaur was, then we have a gem.

Time will tell.
Howard Don
11   Posted 20/01/2011 at 09:37:27

Dave Lynch (10) now you are talking about a player in Beckenbauer. I once bought a ticket for a RS European game against Bayern just to see the great man play. I wasn't disappointed, and yes Rodwell does have the same apparent ability, to some extent, to have time on the ball. Still a work in progress though.
Tony Hennessy
12   Posted 20/01/2011 at 09:33:15

This has nothing to do with being bigoted but it's spot on that gerrard is completely overrated anyone who thinks he's this amazing world class talent watches far too much sky, he is a player who when he's on form is capable of some fine goals and energetic performances but as a consistent performer he comes up well short, especially in recent seasons even alot of their lot will admit he hasn't strung together a run of good games for them in the last few years, for me he is the poster boy for why english football and the national team have and will for the foreseeable future fail on the biggest stage it's not even his fault the media then the gullible fans(some of whom are on this forum sadly)build these guys up when what they are is good players with decent fundamentals. as for Jack he can be a very good player again no world beater but the next year is huge for him he needs to have a break at the end of this season more a mental break than anything then come back do a great pre-season and kick on otherwise a parting of ways might be best for both parties as we would hopefully still get a decent fee and he could have a fresh start as i thinf theirs a risk of him stagnating
David Chait
13   Posted 20/01/2011 at 10:04:31

I also thought Rodders might be the best England player of he's generation (I still don't see that the lightie in Arsenal is any better if even nearly as good)...

However I think Rodwell might unfortunately take longer to get there than we hoped... reason for me is Moyes. You know and I know under Wenger, Rodwell would get an excellent chance and to learn and grow in a fantastic set up playing good football. I do worry what lessons he is learning under Moyes.

When he came on the scene how stole the show every time... not this season.... still holding thumbs.. maybe its the issue of the whole team struggling....
Dave Lynch
14   Posted 20/01/2011 at 10:08:18

Howard.
I have no doubt Rodwell can become a great midfielder.

The Beckenbaur analogy comes from the way i see him on the pitch.

He has the same stature as the great man and when on form always appears to have time on the ball.

His passing and reading of the game is great to watch at times and i only hope he is allowed to develop and is not overcoached as so many of our youngsters are these days.
Matthew Mackey
15   Posted 20/01/2011 at 10:05:49

I have thought for some time now that our midfield seems stronger and more capable when young Rodders stands alongside big Fallaini in the middle. When these two "click" we look pretty good. This would allow us to see what Rodwell is truly capable of. (Is he the real deal or is he just another false prophet?) For him, it's time to deliver, but to deliver he needs a regular starting place and not just sporadic starts here and there.

As for the best little Spaniard,- he has gone AWOL for some time now (where was he last Sunday at Anfield?) so i'd suggest we take him out of the equation for a while and allow Rodders to take ownership of the centre mid. Arteta then needs either a spell on the bench or alternatively a position out wide for a while. Could he take Pienaars place and help out Bainsy on the left? Why not?

I don't care where Moyes sticks Arteta at the moment (wide left or on the bench) as long as we continue to operate under the general impression of a 4-4-2 set up and not a 4-5-1. Beckford + one other up front until the end of the season please Mr Moyes.
Graeme Hodgkinson
16   Posted 20/01/2011 at 10:26:23

Howard, (7.11) it isn't blind bigotry that motivated me to post. I was careful not to detract from his talent as a footballer, as I wanted to avoid the topic.

My point was more to highlight that a Discussion Board on an Everton Fan Site was not the place to state your hope one of ours would in future turn out like one of theirs...

Now, Beckenbauer (who Pete intiially drew comparisons with), there is someone to aspire to! Likewise the other players I mentioned earlier.

But of all the players Rodwell might turn out like, Gerrard is certainly in my top 5 least favourite. I'd rather him be 'the new Scot Gemmill' than turn out like the 'diving cheat', as you put it.
Nick Entwistle
17   Posted 20/01/2011 at 10:45:06

Rodwell, the new Ebrell !
Dave Lynch
18   Posted 20/01/2011 at 10:52:18

NICK @16.

Ever the optimist mate. LMAO.
Danny Broderick
19   Posted 20/01/2011 at 10:51:36

Very petty Graeme.
James Crolla
20   Posted 20/01/2011 at 10:57:17

New Ebrell - brilliant.....

How about a combination of Pembridge's pace and power, Gemmill's driving influence and attacking skill, combined with the flair and potential of one Ebrell? Now that would be some player! :)

Sorry couldn't resist, it's quite depressing being an Evertonian during a transfer window and I needed something to make me smile!

COYBs....
Howard Don
21   Posted 20/01/2011 at 10:54:53

Graeme (15) yes I understand all your points, I just think Gerrard love him or hate him is/was one hell of a player to have in your team. That seems to me and the rest of football undeniable (although at international level that's a whole other story!) . A similar talent coached the "Everton Way" might not turn out have as many bad points in the dark side of the game - who knows?

I'd still love to have someone with blue blood and that drive and talent coming through though. To me that's a no brainer.
Howard Don
22   Posted 20/01/2011 at 11:05:30

Dave Lynch (13) Amen to that.
Tony Doran
23   Posted 20/01/2011 at 10:06:41

I think Rodwell has always been very much over-hyped. I think some so called experts just look at the build and looks and go by that. I've always spotted very basic mistakes in his game which should be well installed in him now even going by his age. If he was that good he would have gone by now, would love to be proved wrong but we'll see.
Alan Clarke
24   Posted 20/01/2011 at 11:08:13

Peter, are you complaining that Rodwell hasn't reached his potential yet?

This is ridiculous considering he's either been injured or played on the right wing this season. He's started about 2 games in the centre of midfield when for the most part the rest of the team ha've been shit this season. Are you expecting at his tender age he should be completely dominating games and putting in match winning performances?

Peter, do you work for Everton? Are you trying to prepare us for the sale of Rodwell by suggesting he's not that good?
Anthony Millington
25   Posted 20/01/2011 at 11:57:05

Rodwell was starting to look really good towards the end of last season, remember his goal against United and a couple of screamers in europe too and he was pinging the ball around at ease. He was also looking very impressive in pre season scoring quite a few long range efforts, but unfortunately that injury against Villa set him back and he'll need more games to get back to that level again. He's got great potential though, he is streets ahead of other clubs supposedly up and coming talents like Jordan Henderson and Jay Spearing.
Michael Evans
26   Posted 20/01/2011 at 12:17:23

Saying that a young player, in this case Rodwell, will be a future great is just wildly speculative and helps nobody least of all the player.

Rodwell has POTENTIAL and that's it ... no more,no more.Whether that potential is fulfilled will depend on a lot of factors some of which are in the player's/club's control and some note.

The lower leagues/non-leagues are filled with "could of/should of/would of been greats".

Wasn't there someone called Martin Murray years ago ? Wow - what a player he was going to be.

Jason Thomas
27   Posted 20/01/2011 at 12:30:26

Peter, I would love to see Rodwell in a 10 game run in centre mid with Felly and stick Arteta on the right until he finds form. Rods had a lot more game time last year and in pre-season was looking sharp. I hope DM goes with the following team v WH and sticks with the midfield for a run of games.
Howard
Neville, Distin, Heitinga, Baines
Arteta, Rodwell, Fellaini, Billy
Saha, Beckford
Dave Lynch
28   Posted 20/01/2011 at 12:37:19

Mike @ 25.
I think the posts are highilghting his potential and not hi future guaranteed greatness.

As for Murray, a combination of homesickness and injuries put pay to him, not lack of abillity.
Anthony Hawkins
29   Posted 20/01/2011 at 12:46:12

I'd go so far as to say a lot of managers, not just Moyes, pick players based on who SHOULD be best and who COST more rather than current form.

Take Michael Owen for instance. Everyone knows he's made of glass and can barely put a run of games together yet lots of teams still want him as his history has been great. They forget where he is at right now.

Even Ronaldinho whos legs have gone is getting bids to play in the premiership. Go figure!
Ian Tunstead
30   Posted 20/01/2011 at 12:41:55

Jason, where is Coleman going to play then? He?s been one of our better players over the last few weeks.

Right from the beginning people got carried away with Rodwell. People tried to slaughter me on here, the whole of toffeeweb it seemed, especially when I tried to say that Fellaini was much better and should be played in his place. Now look what has happened, those same people are on here are writing Rodwell off.

I knew the comparisons with Beckenbauer were way off but I don?t think Rodwell should be written off completely; he is much better than Osman at the very least and is a good replacement to have for Arteta and Fellaini if injured or suspended.

Rodwell still his plenty of time to develop to become a good reliable player at this level, but it is still far too early to compare him with the true greats of the game or to say he could end up in the lower leagues with other potential greats that didn?t make the grade. To be fair he hasn?t had much playing time this season and it?s not fair to judge his performances from what we have seen so far.

If I was Moyes, now that pienaar has gone I would try Bily in his place and maybe experiment with playing Arteta on the left and give Rodwell the odd sub appearance in the centre.

Arteta should NOT be dropped, he might have been quite in the derby but when he did have it he used the ball well and kept possession, he looked more composed on the ball than he has in recent games, perhaps a small sign that his run of bad form could be coming to an end.
Alex Robinson
31   Posted 20/01/2011 at 13:17:48

Rodwell and Fellaini - the new Dogs of War! :P
Ben Jones
32   Posted 20/01/2011 at 13:44:15

Rodwell and Fellaini are too similar for me. You can't play both of them and you have to play one of them with Arteta and unfortunately Fellaini's been too good.

We need a creative midfielder to ease the pressure off Arteta. But we need 2 wingers and a striker before that of course.
Jason Thomas
33   Posted 20/01/2011 at 13:39:10

Ian, after I hit the submit button, I realised I'd missed him out. He has been without doubt the one to watch and you're right he has to be involved. But he has played a lot of football over the past few months, so it maybe a good idea to bring him on for impact for a few games. I guess I'm frustrated that we all talk about Rodwell's potential, but until he gets a 10 game run who knows what he can achieve or how good he can be.
Brian Waring
34   Posted 20/01/2011 at 13:47:08

2 players who were talked of being the future of the England team, Rodwell and Jack Wilshire, one of them has stepped up to the plate and shown his quality, because his manager had confidence in him to prove it, and not try to wrap him up in cotton wool, and thats Wilshire. Out of the 2, Wilshire looks the far better player at the moment.

Tony Doran
35   Posted 20/01/2011 at 14:18:05

Anthony #28 talking of Owen, Some bloke Billy Bullshit says he's on his way and back to the main post Rodwell couldn't lace Wiltshire's boots. Just look at other players who were playing regular at that age even the likes of Barton and Nolan, well practically every English prem midfielder playing now who is reaching 30 played when in late teens in the prem excusing probably the newly promoted teams like Blackpool.
Oliver Molloy
36   Posted 20/01/2011 at 14:23:05

Les @ 2..
Rodwell £50 million..!!! .I can not think of any midfielder / centre back that has been sold for any thing close to this.

He reminds me of G.Hoddle but has a way to go.
John Daley
37   Posted 20/01/2011 at 15:25:41

Some of the criticism of Rodwell seems a bit harsh. If he's not getting games then he's never going to progress is he? He's had a couple of starts this season, interspersed with a spell out through injury. The rest of the time he's been warming the bench watching out of form / out of position teammates undeservedly starting ahead of him. He needs to be trusted and given a regular run of games soon if he's ever going to achieve his obvious potential. Moyes seems to think young players always need to be used sparingly no matter how mature or unfazed they appear to be and is typically cautious instead of just throwing them in and letting them sink or swim. Wilshere has come on a hell of a lot simply through playing regularly for Bolton the second half of last season and again for Arsenal this season.
Jason Thomas
38   Posted 20/01/2011 at 16:30:18

Brian @ 33 & John @ 36 very good points "his manager had confidence in him to prove it" / "If he's not getting games then he's never going to progress"
This is going to sound a bit crazy, but if we are not going to play him, why not send him out on load to another prem side who WILL play him. That way we will get to see if he's got it, just like Ars did with their Jack. Just have a clause that we can call on him if injuries hit.
Liam Reilly
39   Posted 20/01/2011 at 17:45:41

Cant believe Rodwells getting stick on here. The lads hardly had a run in the side this season and is only getting the odd 10 minutes here or there now.

If he's not playing, he'll want away and rightly so.

That'll really give ya's something to moan about.
Alan McGuffog
40   Posted 20/01/2011 at 18:37:24

Highly promising young players need to be nurtured and need to play alongside good players who can look after his development on and off the pitch. Simple.
At Everton we see a youngster with potential as some kind of saviour who, single handedly will return to us to the big time.
Used to be a kid called Rooney, some of the older readers will recall him. Highly promising but only really achieved what he was capable of by moving to a side with better players.
You watch, when we move Rodwell on in the next season or so he will hit the heights.But at least the board can use the cash to get the pipes lagged !
Robert Daniels
41   Posted 20/01/2011 at 18:55:02

I was listening to Tranmeres manager today,
talking about Jennings.

He said where ever he goes, he needs to be playing to continue to develope, not sit in someones squad for two or three years, he needs to play now or he wont develope.

In other words exactly the opposite of Moyes way of bringing on young talent, the same applies to the Future England Captain that is Jack Rodwell.

I make know appologies for calling Jack that, as i believe he has greatness wrote all over him.

That is , if Moyes plays him!

Rodwell when he gets up to speed via gametime will show he his class , just as he did last year.
David Holroyd
42   Posted 20/01/2011 at 19:38:53

We have to many players who play in centre midfield Rodwell has lots of ability but he is not getting any games. Osman, Fellaini, Arteta, Billly all want to play there as well as Rodwell. Left side looks a bit short.
Lee Courtliff
43   Posted 20/01/2011 at 19:53:05

Graeme *15-Does that mean whenever we have a promising striker coming through you hope he doesn't turn out like a prime Rush,Fowler or Owen just because they are all-"one of theirs"? I suppose we could just hope this fictional promising striker of ours turns out like Branch or Cadamateri!!!! You know,"one of ours"! You sound like a very childish,blinkered man! I personally,would be over the moon if we produced players like Gerrard,Fowler and Owen.Just because they play for the RS doesn't mean we have to pretend that they are not,or at least once were,top,top players! Don't you think other fans think that we have had some diving(LImpar),dirty(Van Den Hauwe) or just plain violent(Dunc) players represent us over the years? Every club has.
Andrew Laird
44   Posted 20/01/2011 at 20:12:11

Jason #37 I also thought about the same type of loan arrangement at the beginning of the season, insert a clause so we could get him back when needed. He gets the game time he needs to progress and we have a better/exoerienced/more confident player back in the fold.

The guy has potential, nothing more. We have seen infrequent glimpses of what a player he could be but never seen anything like the run of games he needs to be that consistent.

Moyes has been lauded as a champion of giving young talents a chance but unless he has no other options he wraps them up in cotton wool.
Sega Kana
45   Posted 21/01/2011 at 04:15:03

Rodwell has the potential to be a top player but he needs the games. The few matches that he played alongside Fella was not impressive. He was pushing the ball side ways more than running with it. His passes to Coleman was always to the back and cause Coleman to stop his run and collect the ball. Rodwell needs a good run of matches and a loan deal could help him get it. With Fella in the DM position, Arteta or Billy can play further up and link with the strikers. Still got hopes for Rodwell.