I know we are broke...

But this is ridiculous! Everything we have done this January has been about money and in Premier League terms pitiful amounts of money.

The Yak goes, probably for a small loan fee and Leicester pay (some? all?) of his wages, saves us maybe 750k until summer. Pienaar gone for 3 million plus 750k in wages and Vaughan (possibly) to Celtic for 250k loan fee. S

o in the grand scheme of things we might have just made/saved 5m (being generous), I am sure a sizeable amount we just blew on Anichebe's wages?? (Of course I don't consider Coleman's contract a waste).

The Victor thing just highlights how the squad all of a sudden looks weaker, his signing looks all the more needed as we have virtually no quality or fit strikers available, hence why Chamionship (at best, was that to showcase him to clubs?) Vaughan got a run in the derby and now Chamiponship (at best) Victor gets a new deal.

Now I hope we are all surprised and we make a big splash in the transfer market but I do not see it coming. At best that 4 million will be used on some dodgy African striker we have never heard of, who has been plying his trade in France/Belgium for a goal return of 7 in 32.

Meanwhile Blackburn Rovers pick up Santa Cruz (why weren't we in for him?), Wheater to Bolton (I am sure we pulled out as we could not afford it), Hamill to Wolves (500k, surely worth a gamble?) and now I see Blackburn interested in Seb Larsson, out of contract in the summer from Brum (another player worth a look to bolster the squad?)....I could go on! In the meantime and our squad continues to deplete.

Unfortunately we seem to be stumbling through a period where a bunch of average teams are bypassing us in terms of position in the league and financial strength (Sunderland/Bolton/Blackburn) and we are accepting mid-lower half mediocrity (we hope!) for the foreseeable future. Depressing stuff I know, but true. If it continues I envision the loss of Baines, Fellaini, Rodwell and Arteta very soon.

Oh and I can't wait to see the rebirth of Leon Osman on the left now Pienaar has gone......(give Baxter or Bily a go please)!
Dick Bill, NY, USA     Posted 20/01/2011 at 16:16:00

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
1   Posted 20/01/2011 at 21:20:26

Blackburn are also being shopped Riquelme apparently...!
Jamie Carroll
2   Posted 20/01/2011 at 21:33:43

There is no doubt about ...Everton are broke and with the forecast projection of a lower league finish than expected , Moyes is having to cut his cloth accordingly and get rid of players who are on big money and not being used. Kenwright has to sell asap!!
Dave Lynch
3   Posted 20/01/2011 at 21:38:56

Damn.
I was saving him for the final day of the window.
James Stewart
4   Posted 20/01/2011 at 21:35:03

Lets just cut to the facts. Bottom line is we have a chairman with £0.

We are still most likely paying off the Fellaini and Bily deals and god knows who else on the never never.

The wage bill is obviously beyond our means and is now being cut.

How long can we survive and keep selling first team players without replacements?

Troubling times.
Wayne Mac
5   Posted 20/01/2011 at 22:07:33

Is it too much to expect a US style "State of the Nation" type speech with regards to the clubs finances / standing & future plans? Obviously it is.

Things have been dire in recent years but I've never had such a sense of dread, as do a lot of blues. To quote the Dragons from the Den.... EFC would seem nothing more than a "Lifestyle Business" to BK.

Evasive, Cryptic, Back Peddling, Non Comments... Surely Westminster awaits you Bill. Let go!
Richard Harris
6   Posted 20/01/2011 at 22:43:09

It shows how broke we are when we sign Victor Anichebe to a long term deal. I was impressed that an average player at youth level has worked hard to get into the first team but to be honest if we had better players at the club he wouldn't have made it this far.
Tony I'Anson
7   Posted 20/01/2011 at 23:03:37

Wayne, can you clarify what you mean by "Dragon's from the Den"?
Wayne Mac
8   Posted 20/01/2011 at 23:44:52

Sorry Tony. Not very specific...
When someone presents a piss poor proposition in the "Dragons Den" that is only likely to achieve an income to sustain the "proposers" current lifestyle, then they describe it as "Life Style Business".
Erik Dols
9   Posted 20/01/2011 at 23:49:20

I'm always surprised that when players, in which we have had no interest at all, sign for other clubs, this is seen as an omen that we are totally broke.

Of course I would like to see new faces in and so far we have only shipped out players. That's not good. But please stop the FM-posts saying we ought to be in for this or that kid from Mediocre FC. We only just did the Pienaar deal, I reckon we are going to use that money to get in a new face or two this transfer window. Patience. A deal is not made in one night.
Tom Collie
10   Posted 21/01/2011 at 00:36:38

Sadly we'll need more than patience Erik.

Cash would be a big help too.
Jamie Sweet
11   Posted 21/01/2011 at 02:03:27

Eagles is coming! You heard it here, erm, second.
Eric Myles
12   Posted 21/01/2011 at 02:22:26

In other words Erik you're saying "watch this space"
Kristian Boyce
13   Posted 21/01/2011 at 04:29:19

Coleman just signed his 3rd contract with us, and he's been here around 2 years. He even sounded a little surprised with the new offer. I reckon that some clubs have been sniffing around due to his current form, and Moyes signed him up. This is either to scare them off, or to jack up his price, so we can make a huge profit on him. I'm just waiting for the usual Harry Redknapp 'Coleman's a good player' press release tactic, which he'll claim he's not trying to tap him up.
Chris Keightley
14   Posted 21/01/2011 at 10:32:20

Jamie Ssweet - no hes not!!
Andy Crooks
15   Posted 21/01/2011 at 14:07:29

If James Vaughan goes to Celtic we'd do well to ask for Niall McGinn in return. He's a quick winger ,good crosser and hard worker. Also, he has international experience and has done well at that level. I've admired him for some time. He'd be good for Everton.
Ben Jones
16   Posted 21/01/2011 at 16:58:02

Not Niall McGin again Andy!! Average at best
Gavin Ramejkis
17   Posted 21/01/2011 at 16:19:00

Erik as I said to another poster in another thread, we have all known Pienaar was going, why the fuck haven't we lined up a replacement, answer we are fucking potless, we have lost Gosling without replacement, Yobo without replacement, Yakubu without replacement and Pienaar without replacement, you may as well add Vaughan to that as he's more likely to get a knighthood than appear in DM's plans. But not to worry eh?
Andy Crooks
18   Posted 21/01/2011 at 18:24:51

Ben, I spoke about Seamus Coleman some time before David Moyes picked him. I've hyped up Shane Duffy. Believe me Niall can be quality. In fact, at the moment he is the best of the three. I'll stick my neck out here,Ben, and say you will eat your words."Average at best" remember these words as you eat them!
Ben Jones
19   Posted 21/01/2011 at 21:53:15

To be fair Andy, I hope you're right. I just see you hype him up constantly throughout these pages and it just seemed a bit sceptical because he doesn't even play that much for Celtic does he? Or am I

Plus wingers like that are hard to come by these days