Members:   Log In Sign Up

Diego Castro

Apparently there's a rumour that we're being linked with Diego Castro. He plays mainly as a left winger for Sporting de Gijón in the Spanish Primera.

Reputedly this rumour is circling in the Spanish media and they are expecting Everton to make a formal bid imminently.

Some bright spark has entered this on his Wikipedia site. Made me laugh anyway!!

"Diego has expressed a preference to transfer to Everton FC in the EPL. He heard that Bill Kenwright cooked up a mean Paella."

This guy sounds like the real deal and his performances statistics for Gijón have been impressive. Has anybody heard anything?
Ben Howard, London     Posted 25/01/2011 at 11:07:08

Comments

Dan Parker
1   Posted 25/01/2011 at 14:25:30

We're more likely to sign Fidel Castro from Sporting Cuba.
Brian Williams
2   Posted 25/01/2011 at 14:39:35

Damn. The cat's out of the bag now.........He'll be holding up a Spurs shirt by the weekend!
Alex Kociuba
3   Posted 25/01/2011 at 14:38:19

Fidel Castro really dictates the play whenever I've seen him, would be an ideal signing though, Dan.
Sean Smythe
4   Posted 25/01/2011 at 14:44:41

And we've bid for Krancjaer, and we are after Mbokani.....I don't know, I just don't believe any of it. It's best for my sanity if I do that, I've been so disappointed in the past when I've got my hopes up.
Erik Dols
5   Posted 25/01/2011 at 14:51:26

He's already 28 years old and never played as a central defender!

But I guess he would be just like a new signing...
Aidy Dews
6   Posted 25/01/2011 at 14:51:51

Talk of any money bids for players either in the rags or online are to be taken with a huge pinch of salt as we have no money and we can only deal in loans this month, unless we sell more players.
James Marshall
7   Posted 25/01/2011 at 14:53:26

I'll be utterly stunned if we sign anyone at all before the end of January.

Pot to piss in, remember!?

The board should be ashamed of themselves, and thats the (clear) inherent problem at Everton. I feel genuinely sorry for Moyes as he's had zero backing of late. No money = no success. Its as simple as that.

Diego Castro? A left winger? Has nobody noticed we have a bloke called Jermaine Beckford 'playing' up front?!?!
Mark Griffiths
8   Posted 25/01/2011 at 15:00:51

Dan, ahhh funny! I spat out my coffee reading that! Now my laptop is covered in it!

I do not believe we will sign anyone, the usual shit of we tried and failed will be spouted!

Of course, I hope I am wrong!
Alex Kociuba
9   Posted 25/01/2011 at 15:04:22

It is forbidden to criticise Beckford, even though a growing number of people are realising he clearly isn't good enough for the Premier League.
Brian Waring
10   Posted 25/01/2011 at 15:08:08

You know things are bad, when BK is quiet. We normally have beauts
like " Watch this space "
David Denby
11   Posted 25/01/2011 at 15:30:50

I saw this post and I thought, "WOW"!

Seriously if any money goes onto our overdraft this month on a player purchase I will be amazed. My £40 quid on us finishing no more than 22 points behind the winners is already doomed. I just hope the rest of the season sees Moyes getting a knock on the head and daring to try what young players we ALREADY have, at least it would be a step in the right direction.
Andrew Ellams
12   Posted 25/01/2011 at 15:39:25

With less than a week to go in the transfer window, hold to your hats. We are going to be linked with every man and his dog.

Even when we do manage to bring new players in, it's never the ones doing the rounds on the web or the tabloids. Moyes is very good at sneaking them in under the radar.
Lee Mandaracas
13   Posted 25/01/2011 at 15:20:44

You're absolutely right James Marshall & Alex Kociuba. When we get a player with great potential for free and bring him up two divisions, then rarely play him for a long spell the thing he needs more than anything else is criticism. Especially when he has shown the potential you seem to deny exists.

Is he prolific in front of goal YET? No he isn't.

Is it guaranteed he will realise his potential with us? No it is not.

Is it helpful doubting him when he hasn't had a fair crack of the whip and has helped our overall play, especially when employed in 4-4-2? Absolutely not.

Let's face it, he cost us less to acquire than Jo did to loan and has already done better than a supposed Brazilian star! I am not saying he will be the answer to all our ills but I do think having a go at him is somewhat hasty.

Then again, I guess I am just another of those 'blind faith' Evertonians, eh?
Ben Howard
14   Posted 25/01/2011 at 16:06:19

Hear hear Lee Mandaracas!
Dan Parker
15   Posted 25/01/2011 at 16:07:03

Alex/Mark, Everton need a revolution and perhaps Fidel could be our new club captain when Pip leaves for Spurs. After all, aren't we the people's club?
Gerry Morrison
16   Posted 25/01/2011 at 16:16:26

Fidel takes over from Bill, Raul picks the team and the rest of us run down to the docks and jump onto rafts and head for the open seas.
Tim Spring
17   Posted 25/01/2011 at 16:17:10

We can't sign Castro..... We don't play in Red!!
Tony Waring
18   Posted 25/01/2011 at 16:17:47

Just for the record there is'nt even a hint of it in any of the Spanish sports papers. Apparently he is Sporting Gijon's leading scorer with 7 goals this season so they won't be too keen on him leaving. Wait until it happens.
Chris Leyland
19   Posted 25/01/2011 at 18:17:57

I reckon we should sign Kranjar from Spurs. Then Harry Reedknapp will immediately try to sign him off us once he realises that Moyes is after him.

Imagine of Castro got hit by a bottle thrown from the crowd during a game. Would that be a "cuban missile crisis"
Brad Eastwood
20   Posted 25/01/2011 at 18:30:37

Another left winger? Seems like Moyes must have a thing against Bily and Gueye.
Alan Clarke
21   Posted 25/01/2011 at 18:42:02

The Kenwright spin machine will be in full effect. Over the next week expect to see us making 'bids' for players we have no chance of getting. Also expect to see articles emerging in the press about potential buyers for Everton who then couldn't show Bill the money. This will be followed by quotes from Kenwright reiterating his desire to sell the club and how dearly he'd love to see 'investment' at Everton.

Come February 1st, the reality of Everton's situation will not have changed. Don't be fooled by Kenwright's bullshit.
Larry Boner
22   Posted 25/01/2011 at 19:06:11

Expect several links with "wow" type players for the last 6 days of the window, We tried for players you would not believe" said Bill Kenwright.
"Yeh, right," said 35000 Evertonians.
Kiss my fucking arse.
Jason Lam
23   Posted 26/01/2011 at 03:21:50

More chance of signing Anthony Gardner. On loan.
Matthew Lovekin
24   Posted 26/01/2011 at 08:00:32

If he is a left winger, he obviously won't get more than 5 mins playing time a month!

After all, we've got Osman for left wing!
Michael Stevenson
25   Posted 26/01/2011 at 09:02:27

Is he our new secret weapon? So secret he'll never ever play for us?
Neil Vaughan
26   Posted 26/01/2011 at 09:05:09

Sporting Gijon are 3rd from bottom of La Liga and Castro is no more than an average player in a poor side...what's more he has NO pace to speak of.

If you don't believe me watch the Spanish football every week like I do..

Real deal inded... I think not. If he was, we couldn't afford him... more bullshit from Billy Liar's spin machine as the transfer window deadline approaches... no doubt Stoke, Birmingham, Wigan, WBA, Fulham, West Ham, or Blackburn will enter the race at the 11th hour and steal him from under our noses.

But don't worry ? Bill is still searching tirelessly 24/7....NOT !!!!!!
Anthony Hughes
27   Posted 26/01/2011 at 10:45:15

I'm looking forward to hearing the "phantom bids" we put in for players after the transfer window closes. (£17 million for Bent we just couldn't go that bit extra to compete with Villa, or we matched Chelsea's bid for Kun Aguero but he wants to play in the capital). Oh i just can't wait for the latest bullshit to come from Kenwright.