Andy Gray

Remembering Andy Gray fondly for his contribution to our success in the 80s, I was more than a little disappointed to read of his comments regarding the abilities of a female assistant referee. News of his sacking (for this and other similar offences which have now come to light) would suggest that he has an attitude to the world which is 20 years out of date.

Worse still for Mr Gray, I didn't watch the Liverpool game for obvious reasons, but I am told that he knows less about the offside rule than the lady in question; as it was later established that she was spot on in declaring a Liverpool attempt on goal to be offside!

This then got me thinking that, given the above attitudes combined with his lamentable commentary and "expert" analyses of games on Sky, we had a lucky escape when he decided to take the Sky shilling instead of the offer to manage Everton.

Steve Guy, Harrogate     Posted 25/01/2011 at 17:11:07

Comments

Andrew Gilbert
1   Posted 25/01/2011 at 18:46:31

Andy Gray? next Everton Manager?
Brian Waring
2   Posted 25/01/2011 at 18:47:04

See Andy Gray has been sacked by Sky.
Richard Tarleton
3   Posted 25/01/2011 at 19:07:46

Andy Gray and his co-idiot were caught metaphorically with their trousers down and possibly deserve anything that happens to them. But a slight irony occurs to me. Only one person who works for the Murdoch organisation , News International, has taken a writ out against the "News of the World". That person is Andy Gray. I've been wondering how often the mics are left on, how often stupid, sexist, homophobic or racist comments occur and what a surprise this time it's leaked.

I'm not saying that Gray and Keys are innocent or do not deserve to be sacked, I'm just saying it's ironic that this time they're caught.

Craig Taylor
4   Posted 25/01/2011 at 19:09:08

Okay, he said a stupid thing in the environment he was in. I am not condoning it but we have all said light-hearted things when having banter with our mates. But what about Andy Gray as Everton coach???

Now, Gray has always said he would never close the door to coaching again. Ever since he nearly became boss only to see right through Peter Johnson at the last minute.

I think he could be a good addition to the coaching staff. He has a very good tactical knowledge. He must know shit loads about every opposition team. And I think he would be a good 'Ray Wilkins' type character for the players.

Maybe keep him away from the Women's team!

Andy Codling
5   Posted 25/01/2011 at 19:07:35

Hope they get a proper fit bird with huge Knockers to replace Andy Gray the sexist pig.
Micky Norman
6   Posted 25/01/2011 at 19:09:50

Before I start, I know we don't have enough money to even consider it so treat it as a tongue in cheek question but here goes anyway...

Given that Andy Gray will be unemployed for at least some time, would you welcome him to Everton, and if so in what sort of role? Let the feathers begin to fly.

Micky Norman
7   Posted 25/01/2011 at 19:12:13

Peter Fearon
8   Posted 25/01/2011 at 19:13:41

I understand why, in this increasingly PC world, Andy Gray was fired by Sky, but I think it's a pity it has come to this. We may agree or disagree with his views about female officials, but he is surely as entitled to express them as he is to express a view on an offside decision or a stray shot from a striker.

Also, some of what he said was off camera and I think he need not be held accountable for that. It is ludicrous that people are not allowed to speak, or even think, certain views these days.

I was appalled by his behavior over the management crisis when he cynically used Everton's problems to leverage an enhanced contract at Sky but he is one of the few pundits on TV who knows what he is talking about. As he is an Everton Legend, I support him still.

Chris Taggart
9   Posted 25/01/2011 at 19:29:21

You would think he had sauntered down to the side of the pitch mid-match, slapped her on the arse, and said there's a good girl now go and get me a pint.

Those comments were not for broadcast; does he deserve to be reprimanded? Yes; sacked? No.

It's a zero sum game for Sky ? they will neither lose nor gain subscribers for sacking or keeping him... but will their product be poorer as a result?
Andrew Brown
10   Posted 25/01/2011 at 19:50:04

Yet another example of 'you can't say what you think anymore', especially if it's anything to do with women!
We are one step away from the thought police!
Dermot Ryan
11   Posted 25/01/2011 at 19:54:39

Good riddance to bad rubbish. And to the question of whether Andy Gray should manage Everton. Er, no.
Robert Elliott
12   Posted 25/01/2011 at 19:54:27

Personally I'll be sorry to see Gray go. I always thought he made little attempt to hide his affection for our club and in a media world which at times seems dominated by ex-Liverpool players, it made a nice change!

Only times he ever disappointed me were over the management fiasco (but does anyone blame him for not wanting to work for Johnson!) and screaming "You beauty... what a hit son!...what a hit!..." when Gerrard kept our beloved neighbours in the Champions League a few years back!
Larry Boner
13   Posted 25/01/2011 at 19:55:33

Peter Fearon, Mr Gray has not a clue what he is talking about, I find that the people who know least about the rules of football are ex-players.

Get him to put up £50,000 against this young kid and answer 20 questions on the rule of football and she would destroy and humiliate him.

She has gone through a male-dominated sport and progressed to be qualified enough to run the line in the most hyped football league in the world and do it faultlessly.

I am disgusted, basically every week, by the lack of knowledge regarding the rules of the game displayed by the likes of Hansen, Shearer, Gray, Lawrenson etc... Take the fucking exams and when you pass them, you will have the right to criticise people who have made the effort.

If I was the father of this brilliant and focused kid, I would punch the likes of Gray and Keys on the fucking nose. Mr Gray has been shown up for what he is, a bigot ? the fact that he played for Everton means nothing to me, he was paid to do this.

Howard Don
14   Posted 25/01/2011 at 20:07:43

Gray hasn't been sacked for the sexist comments over the female assistant ref. He's been sacked over a separate incident of suggestive comments/gestures to a female colleague. As for him joining Everton - No thanks very much.
Daniel Johnson
15   Posted 25/01/2011 at 20:07:52

Whats annoying me about this is the double standards by Sky.

Loot at the female Sky sports presenters they are blonde glamorous and quite hot because ? big shock ? they appeal to blokes.

They are hardly picked for their autocue reading ability.

I'm not sticking up for Gray but this was private banter between two blokes in their 50s. I'm sure when we have all been watching womens footie in the pub we have all said something far worse.
Andrew Brown
16   Posted 25/01/2011 at 20:19:29

Why do women want to officiate in the man's game anyway? Here's an idea....Men look after the men's game and women look after the women's game. No more problems!
Larry Boner
17   Posted 25/01/2011 at 20:20:11

Daniel, if you are in the employ of a company, when you are on the premises of that company you are subject to discipline regarding acts of racism, bullying, religious discrimination, sexism, sexual intimidation, the same as if you were to steal from the company. This is stated in your terms that you accept when you sign a contract of employment.

Would you be happy with them agreeing with Hitler's ideals because they were having a private conversation while off air, or discussing the rights of Muslims in Britain seeing as they believe all Muslims are terrorists?

Over exaggeration, I know, but I worked in Fords for 35 years and heard this type of stuff on a daily basis, until the company did something about it... Mainly because of litigation, true, but still, it stopped, because people were protected.

These people, like Gray, are being paid a fortune for doing basically fuck-all ? and they still can't behave themselves.

John Crook
18   Posted 25/01/2011 at 20:35:04

See what happens as soon as a women comes into the game? Trouble ? someone sacked from his job!
Brian Waring
19   Posted 25/01/2011 at 20:34:34

Seen it on the news Howard what he got sacked for. It was a christmas show or something, and they are recording the show, his shirt needs tucking into his pants, and he turns round to the female presenter and says, "Hey Charlotte, can you help me tuck this in?"

For me it was just a bit of normal banter like any workplace, hardly a sackable offence. Rumours were Sky wanted him out.

Shaun Sparke
20   Posted 25/01/2011 at 20:29:16

Larry, nobody can understand the rules of football because they don't exist. As far as I am aware they are called Laws!

Whilst shopping with the wife, she came out of the changings room and asked me what I thought of the new dress she had on. Before I could speak, a bull dog faced woman shouted out "What you asking him for, he is a man, he knows nothing about fashion". I laughed, and so did half the shop. In hindsight, maybe I should go back to the shop and demand that she gets the sack.

Andy Gray has been in a male dominated environment nearly all his life, Like it or not, men will sometimes talk about women in less than complimentary terms when they are in a group. As I have no doubt women do about men. Its the way of the world. I know that it doesnt make it right but its the way that it is.

Andy Grays sacking is a complete Joke.
Dave Heath
21   Posted 25/01/2011 at 20:54:01

The level Jamie Rednapp will stoop to gat a leg up the ladder!!
Leon Perrin
22   Posted 25/01/2011 at 20:49:47

Dreadful business talking about a young lady trying to break down barriers and improve football's image.

Weather girls, however, a gusset of a different colour. Particularly that Indian looking girl on SKY, a high pressure front every time, yummy.
Brian Waring
23   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:02:21

Did you see one of the reporters getting suspended? He turns to Andy Gray who is at the ground with him, he doesn't realise the camera is still running, and says "I see there is a female linesman today, supposed to be a bit of a looker as well." He got suspended for that.
Larry Boner
24   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:19:31

Shaun, yes, Laws of the game, I give up, Andy Gray is innocent. Then again, I haven't taken the ref exams either, so I am as ignorant as Gray... but, as the Law says, ignorance is not an excuse.

Seem to be a lot of Andy Gray types on here today though.

Peter Fearon
25   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:10:37

Larry Boner - bigot is a strong word. He is more likely just a child of his generation.

If, as you rightly suggest, the assistant referee has been through the mill to earn the right to officiate at Premier League level, then she is unlikely to be fazed by the comments of an aging footballer. The point is that he still has a right to his erroneous opinion. To remove him from the air because he disagrees with having female officials ? which is at the real heart of this ? is exactly the kind of politically correct bullshit we should all oppose.

As for the earlier nonsense. so he made an off-colour joke in front of a female colleague! Off with his head! He is an analyst. He is paid to have opinions. The more controversial the better.

As for knowing rule trivia, he may not get all the minutiae right in the hypothetical contest you suggest. I don't know. I do know that he knows the game and sometimes that is better than knowing the rules.

Eugene Ruane
26   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:04:22

Don't give a flying fuck about Gray losing his job - great player for us but I can't stick him on the telly.

Plus his comments when shown (as they were) out of context do looked bad/stupid.

However, to put things in perspective, it appears every dad in every commercial can be portrayed as a hopeless, out-of-touch, idiot nob-head and nobody says a word or gives a shite.

Seems to me someone wanted him out and a comment of the type that you hear in every office in the country (apart from offices in Hackney..obviously) was used to get rid.

All things considered, probably a bit unfair (but as I say, I won't be losing any kip)
Barry Thompson
27   Posted 25/01/2011 at 22:00:40

I wonder if Andy has still got his boots. Surely he wouldn't cost that much would he?

Be like a new signing. OK, I know, but if that useless twat Anichebe can get the contract offer he's just signed anything is possible.

Daniel Johnson
28   Posted 25/01/2011 at 22:13:40

@16 Larry Boner

Okay just because you censor the workforce and say its wrong doesn't stop the average man, "off mike" saying what he really thinks.
Larry Boner
29   Posted 25/01/2011 at 22:12:51

Peter, the issue here is, yes, everybody is entitled to an opinion, but you should have the knowledge to back up that opinion and if you think someone cannot do his or her job because of their colour, gender or religion, then you are a bigot (not you personally).
It's what pisses me off more than anything, just because people like Gray played professional football does not mean they know more about the game of football than the average person in the street. Mourinho, Wenger, never played at the level Gray did, neither did Villas Boas.
Danny Broderick
30   Posted 25/01/2011 at 22:15:13

The world's gone mad. A couple of slightly off-colour comments but surely he didn't deserve to lose his job? I hope he does get a role at Everton, because his enthusiasm for the game is contagious, and I will miss his analyses.

Sky have got previous for doing this, I'm still gutted they got rid of Rodney Marsh for telling that Beckham joke. Political correctness is killing everything -- we won't be able to swear at the match next. We're one step from the thought police, like another poster said...

Ste Blundell
31   Posted 25/01/2011 at 22:24:11

Who's arsed?
Paul Holmes
32   Posted 25/01/2011 at 22:31:56

Reunite Andy and Sharpy from our glory years, to turn this team around. Andy was a great player full of passion, and he has developed a good tactical brain since working for Sky. Sharpy is very passionate about the Blues, and when he covers our matches on radio, he speaks a lot of sense, plus he talks to the fans on phone-ins and understands our frustrations. Plus they have both played the game at the highest level (unlike Moyes and Round).

If Dalglish is good enough for them lot, then Gray and Sharpy would be a welcome addition for us.

Kevin Tully
33   Posted 25/01/2011 at 22:45:08

Never ever cross Rupert Murdoch.

Especially when he is paying you £1.7M a year.
Eugene Ruane
34   Posted 25/01/2011 at 22:28:34

Rodney Marsh?

I was fucking MADE UP when that twat got the heave-ho.

Mr cheery cock-sparrer - "It's only a laaaarf!"

Thick, Sun reading alehouse bore of the worst kind.

Talk about out of touch.

He told a fucking pitiful, contrived, unfunny-as-fuck joke (I'd have sacked him for that alone) - contrived around an event in which 200,000 people had recently lost their lives.

Crass and insensitive beyond belief.

Still, he'll be alright, doing his 70's after-dinner speeches, "So Besty turns to me.." (fucking yaaaawn!)

For me, when he got the welly, it was a case of "it's political correctness gone ma...rvelous!"
John Ford
35   Posted 25/01/2011 at 22:47:37

I watch footy on the telly with the sound turned down, have done for a while due to the complete horlicks they talk.

Gray probably got what he deserved ? made worse cos he wasn't having a joke with Keyes over the female assistant, they were actually serious, the fecking retards. I wouldn't mind, she got the big decisions rights.

Take a bow son... hah! right.

Eugene, good shout re Marsh. Prize knob!
Andrew Brown
36   Posted 25/01/2011 at 23:29:24

Oh what a surprise, Charlotte Jackson is a dirty redshite! Who'd have thought it?
Gerry Allen
37   Posted 25/01/2011 at 23:30:21

Spot on Eugene - great post!!

Nothing to do with football - but I look forward to your rant about the arrogant so and so Clarkson....
David Mathieson
38   Posted 25/01/2011 at 23:01:12

In my opinion, all women should be allowed to play with men; unisex teams at all levels. Anyone who disagrees with me is clearly a ?bigot? and ?sexist?... Shame on you, you are no different to Andy Gray. Many women work very hard to become professional/semi-professional footballers and it infuriates me that they are not allowed to show they are just as good, if not better than men, physically and mentally.

We live in a ?free? society where everyone is equal ? men, woman, poor and rich ? we are all treated the same except in the high reaches of the English game of Soccer. I believe re-education is the only measure which can be taken to stop ?sexism? and these evil ?bigots? within the game.

Re-education needs to start at the top, new guidelines should be passed to all FA members to ensure they back unisex leagues and any members who disagree or show contempt to women, should be disciplined and or relieved of duty.

Andy Gray is in the wrong and he clearly knows very little in comparison to this official, who has just passed her exams and made it to a high level. He is a sexist pig and re-education is the answer; bring him into line with modern Britain. It reminds of my employment, where graduates who have first obtained their degrees, come into the company and know far more than their work colleagues who have 30- 40 years experience at the top of the game.

Andrew Brown
39   Posted 26/01/2011 at 00:16:41

@37
What crap! Women want to get involved at ALL levels of whatever a man does. There's nothing left for men to do on their own. There are no men's clubs left, football is going the same way. Why can't a woman just strive to be top of her own profession, instead of trying to be BETTER THAN A MAN??? You appear to be another feminist apologist!
Sean McCarthy
40   Posted 26/01/2011 at 01:21:26

Number 37 come in your time is up!!!!

Women aren't as good as men at football!! Never have been and never will be. Ok the women playing at the top if the women's game are better than the muppet who always got picked last at school but there are thousands of men playing Sunday league football up and down the country better than those in the England women's team. Try watching a women's match. Pardon the pun but it's pants!! That's why there's so little coverage. Same with cricket and rugby.

As for Andy Gray.... It wasn't banter, it was clearly a serious view he held. You can see the disgust on his face with the Andy Burton interview and feel the venom in his voice. Keys can count himself lucky he hasn't been sacked (yet).

As for bringing him to Everton it would be a bit like Beckford. He's free and no-one else would wanna know!!! We've enough problems just now thanks. Jog on.......

John Daley
41   Posted 26/01/2011 at 01:48:28

The news that Andy Gray had been sacked from Sky Sports just came up on the TV and my girlfriend was going on about how he deserves to be sacked from Sky Sports. I told her it was just a joke that has been blown out of proportion and that it was over the top to sack him. She insisted that it was fair to sack him and I should look at it from a women's point of view,

So I unplugged the TV, took it into the kitchen and watched it there.
Jay Harris
42   Posted 26/01/2011 at 01:52:32

David #37
Spot on, sir.

"All women should be able to play with men".

Oh dear.... that's an Andy Grayism ? I'm sacked.
Jason Lam
43   Posted 26/01/2011 at 03:21:35

Every line-up should have at least 3 homegrown women players. Two if one of them is goalie (if the manager has the balls to play one in goal.. oh shit I didn't say that did I?)

John Ford
44   Posted 26/01/2011 at 08:48:35

37....talk about completely missing the point!
Guy Hastings
45   Posted 26/01/2011 at 08:48:20

Gray was fired because he's sueing the News of the World in the phone hacking scandal. Funny that this all comes out (particularly the 'recently discovered' foorage of Reds fan and occasional Nuts/Zoo feature Charlotte Jackson) in the week that his case is due in court. Cross Murdoch at your peril.
Lee Courtliff
46   Posted 26/01/2011 at 08:44:40

Complete joke. Look at how many times women slag men off on national television and everyone laughs about it. If you want equality it has to be across the board. So let's start sacking women who ever dare to say men are useless at anything! 90% of the women I work with would be on the dole come Monday morning. In fact, make that 100%! Complete fucking joke!!
Leighton Cooper
47   Posted 26/01/2011 at 09:27:55

David #37

So if a pro golfer or tennis player, for example aren't good enough to compete on the PGA or tennis tour, can they then join the women's circuit where they would probably do a lot better and earn more money??
Tony Waring
48   Posted 26/01/2011 at 09:28:48

I am absolutely gutted! My wife has just said I make lousy chip butties. Do I complain to Toffeeweb, KEIOC, the Equality Commission or the Justice Department ? Maybe Harridan Harman can help me. What a load of PC rubbish.
Ray Roche
49   Posted 26/01/2011 at 09:33:25

I would be happy for Gray to get his job back, in fact I would be happy if Dr Josef Menelé got the job, anyone, if it stops that arsewipe Jamie fuckin' Redknapp getting it. Redknapp, the only person in the world* who thought Clattenberg was right not to give us a penalty against the shite. What chances of an unbiased viewpoint in any programme HE chairs.

* Clattenberg KNEW it was a penalty but he's also bent...
KPR Williams
50   Posted 26/01/2011 at 10:00:58

#45 Lee...

Loose Women... apparently, it's a show based on the theory that men are useless, sexist etc etc etc an it's all a bit of a laugh at mens expense..
imagine if they commisioned a show called Loose Men... well they have a host now don't they?
Equality works both ways..
Alan Rycroft
51   Posted 26/01/2011 at 10:28:02

The Gray saga is absurd tittle tattle... well, the attitude was arrogant and disrespectful to the lineswoman but hardly a sackable offence. He really got the sack because of mildly lewd comments to a female on the staff... equally ludicrous! This in a society where you can't go into a newsagent without shelves heaving with 'adult' material and half the shows on tv have an large element of soft porn! How confused and hypocritcal can you get!
Tony J Williams
52   Posted 26/01/2011 at 10:35:20

I see the lino is being used for the Just For Men ads now. She was used once and the Gray went.....barum tish!
Liam Reilly
53   Posted 26/01/2011 at 10:22:52

Ray #48 - Abso-fuckin-lutely. I remember his comments very well and it was only because Reid was saying it was a clear penalty. Reckon its a given unfortunately, that Redknapp will get Gray's role, sigh.

Why can't big nose Thommo' or Lawro' tell a racist joke?
Bob McEvoy
54   Posted 26/01/2011 at 10:36:18

Eugene 34... Spot on. This was posted on a Guardian blog yesterday..well I thought it was funny:

"I think Andy Gray and Richard Keys should be sacked after their ignorant, sexist comments on TV. Sky Sports should set an example and give their jobs to female presenters. Preferably fit ones with really big tits."

Gray and Keys are tossers. I will be glad to see the back of them.

Stephen Kenny
55   Posted 26/01/2011 at 10:34:33

I take it the entire cast of Loose (old) Women will be getting the elbow in the not too distant?
Anthony Hughes
56   Posted 26/01/2011 at 10:34:41

Try watching most of the ads on the telly. Most of them are belittling men constantly. Sexism should work both ways but we live in a crazy, politically correct, right-on country now which, instead of improving things, makes them worse.
Matthew Mackey
57   Posted 26/01/2011 at 10:53:52

Richard Tarleton #3;- a very, very good point you have made. Criticise Murdoch at your peril.

Andy Gray was a knob. Maybe a slapped wrist and a fine, but not loosing your job, for fuck's sake.
Sam Morrison
58   Posted 26/01/2011 at 11:15:11

Men being regularly portrayed as useless in advertising and real people being criticised for their supposed lack of knowledge are two different things. One, because the portrayal of useless men is a 'joke' - we can debate how successful - and the Gray/Keys thing was not.

Two, because women are still fighting for equality on many fronts, one of them being unequal pay, another unequal opportunity. Seeing dads being a bit crap on telly does not really strike a balance.

And three, because one is advertising and the other is a real person doing a job. Stewart Lee does a great bit on political correctness for those who think it's "gone mad":
Dave Roberts
59   Posted 26/01/2011 at 11:41:51

Can't wait to see what will happen when this lass progresses to REFEREEING a game!

God help her if she has a Twattenberg moment!
Sam Morrison
60   Posted 26/01/2011 at 12:51:36

Clattenberg's whole life is a moment.
Paul Thompson
61   Posted 26/01/2011 at 13:07:01

Some of the sexist 'banter' in this thread is as hilarious and witty as the original comments from Gray and his fellow dinosaurs.

All this whining about poor old men and their threatened territory ignores a simple point ? football is no longer a "man's game". This is a fact. One in five fans attending games in 2008-09 were women and women are a third of new fans going to matches. No doubt there will be some knuckle draggers saying they should stay at home, but you won't be joined by Everton and other clubs, who would be in deep trouble without the money women bring.

And by the way, Andy Gray probably has more chance of becoming the Bew Head of the Equalities Commission than a coach at Everton.
Sean Stevenson
62   Posted 26/01/2011 at 13:38:12

No doubt the soccerettes will continue strutting every Saturday morning on Sky. Who said sexism is rife in football?
Brian Williams
63   Posted 26/01/2011 at 13:40:17

@Andy Codling #5.

Laughed out loud at that mate. Class, sheer class!
Ray Roche
64   Posted 26/01/2011 at 13:46:02

Paul Thompson #60

That's all very well quoting those statistics, Paul, but every women we see at a match means that there is an ironing board lying idle....
Paul Thompson
65   Posted 26/01/2011 at 13:53:37

Fucking hilarious, Ray. Now Andy's out of a job, perhaps he'll have a vacancy for a scriptwriter on the comedy circuit.
Peter Dry
66   Posted 26/01/2011 at 14:44:58

Larry Boner, you castigate Gray for his backward comments then refer to Sian Massey as a "young kid". She's 25 years of age for fucks sake, not some kid or "young kid".
Matthew Mackey
67   Posted 26/01/2011 at 16:34:17

Women are ok, but you can't beat the real thing!
Lee Courtliff
68   Posted 26/01/2011 at 18:28:25

Sam Morrison ? Complete bollocks. Who the fuck are you to decide who is joking and who is not? You're not a mindreader are you? I know for a fact that a lot of women genuinely think men are useless. I work in a hospital and I am surrounded by women.

The point is, Gray got sacked for something that a woman would never get sacked for ? a sexist /suggestive comment! Is your name Samantha? If so that would explain your post and I apologise for swearing, I hope I haven't offended you, princess? xx

Sam Morrison
69   Posted 26/01/2011 at 19:27:41

Not at all Lee.

I wasn't trying to imply it was up to me when something's funny. That would be ludicrous, and, let's face it, a hard rule to enforce. I do have aspirations but that's not one of them.

I'm not suggesting either that women can say what they like and should be able to get away with it. You may be right that a woman wouldn't have got sacked for a similar comment, but in football (I don't know about hospitals) there are clearly entrenched prejudices that need to be overcome ? as illustrated by the fact you thought I might be offended if you suggested I was female.
Max Levy
70   Posted 26/01/2011 at 20:17:18

[Mailbag item moved to this thread]

Maybe I've missed it but I've not seen any response to the current Sky Sports sexism fiasco in these columns. So here's my take on it. Twenty years of enduring Richard Keys and his inane, self-aggrandising drivel, has finally reaped its rewards with the current events.

As for Andy, I was there at the Bayern Munich game/Wembley etc etc and you will always be a hero. But you have sounded very tired and complacent in recent months and this was a disaster waiting to happen. I'm sorry for you but we all have to be accountable to our paymasters, however good our CV may be. Move on, take it on the chin and learn from your experience.

Jon Cox
71   Posted 26/01/2011 at 20:19:04

I hear Andy Gray's looking for a job. Would this canny Scot do better than the cannyless Scot we have now? Would he do better for our club? Of course I have to be politically correct, so all feminist comments welcome. Pidgeons cat amonst, works, spanner, in the, come to mind.

I think it's a sad day because give me Andy any day rather than the slimeball Lineker.

Richard Keys said in an interview that "dark forces are at work" What did he mean? What dark forces are there in football punditry. One things for sure I'll bet Jamie son of wobble face is chomping at the bit for Gray's job. If he takes over Andy Grays job my subscription will end.

Over to you guys!

Alan Clarke
72   Posted 26/01/2011 at 20:51:38

It's piss funny all this, I think sugartits running the line did a bad job at the weekend. If in doubt, don't give the red shite the advantage.

The punishment should have been Keys and Gray running the line in a Premier League game to see if they can keep up with play and then see if they can interpret and apply the nonsensical offside rule.

As much of a twat that Gray is, I shudder to think who they'll replace him with.
Lee Courtliff
73   Posted 26/01/2011 at 21:22:30

Sam ? To overcome these prejudices should we, A: sack people for making sexist/suggestive comments? Or B: use this instance as an example of how people's opinions can change once they see the replay and have no choice but to congratulate the female linesperson on making a difficult yet spot-on decision?

Andy Gray and Richard Keys deserved the chance to eat some humble pie on Monday Night Football. And just to correct you, I wasn't implying that I thought you were a woman and would be offended by that. I was suggesting you are acting like one of those women who constantly slag men off but hate it when men criticise women.

I have no problems with female officials, as you implied, I have a problem with certain people being punished for one thing but other people being allowed to get away with the exact same offence. Like I said, it's a fucking joke.

Craig Bellew
74   Posted 26/01/2011 at 21:22:10

Ste, post 30, my feelings exactly!!

One thing I've always noticed is whenever that ladyboy across the park plays, him and his bessie "Keysie" no matter how shit he is playing, have never got a wrong word to say about him and I'm certain they have BOTH been closet reds for years now!!

All the red loving, coupled with his antics in getting a bumper pay day at our expense when he chose not to take the Everton job (like he was ever going to) still angers me and I for one laughed my head off when I heard he had been sacked as he is an idiot and I DON'T ever want to see him at GP in ANY capacity.

ps: Some on here go on about his affections for all things blue/Everton. Either I have been living down under or been watching an alternative Sky Sports to these posters as he has been at best kind to us on the ODD occasion, but as for leaning towards us on a regular basis when covering Everton games is garbage. I would go as far as to say he isn't that far behind a certain Mr Lineker who never acknowledges playing for OUR BELOVED CLUB!

I'm sure while we all struggle to make ends meet, Andy will be sleeping easy off the £1.7 million yearly contract he signed many years ago, and all off the back of Everton FC too.

I'm sure many will be thinking, what they're going to do now on a Ford "Super" Sunday. I can tell you, watch footie without having to listen to those two muppets (just seen on news Keys has handed in his resignation ? shithouse). The only downside of this whole funny story is Jamie Redring could be in the running to take over Andy's magical tv's with all the red arrows and being able to drag players faces around the screen, so I suppose it's one idiot will then be replaced by another!
Sam Morrison
75   Posted 26/01/2011 at 23:49:07

The problem with your opening suggestion Lee is that had she got the offside decision wrong, what would have happened then? Would the sexism have been justified? You might not think so, but Gray and Keys probably would.

We can all cite instances - Clattenberg for instance - of horrendous, partisan refereeing, but it doesn't tend to be blamed on the fact the refs in question have a cock.

These guys are responsible for presenting sport on a national broadcaster. I don't agree with the witch-hunt going on, but I do think their position gives them a responsibility to reflect and represent their audience. If that makes me a man-hating something or other, then fine - though if you re-read my original post, and my replies to you, nowhere have I said they should be sacked.
Lee Courtliff
76   Posted 27/01/2011 at 10:45:57

Sam Morrison ? You didn't seem to disagree about the sacking which I obviously do. And all this about "what if she got it wrong" is rubbish because she got it right! "If your mother was a bloke she'd be your father" type thing... If you re-read my posts you will see that I said we should have equality across the board or not at all!

After our little spat last night, I went on YouTube and watched that Stewart Lee clip you mentioned. Very funny. I also listened to what Keys and Gray said. No more harmful than what is said by countless women on countless TV programmes. Equality or Sexism? Pick one or the other 'cos you ain't having both! Unless of course it's just a joke......

Pat Kennedy
77   Posted 27/01/2011 at 17:53:10

Delighted to the see these 2 self serving twats get the push. Only interested in spouting their fuckin drivel and how clever they thought they were.

Fuckin Dinosaurs the pair of them and good riddance.

Andy Gray back at GP sometime? do me a favour...what the fuck would he bring other than a large salary bill.

Game well & truly fuckin over - take a P45 son, see you on I'm a celebrity in 2012.

Had a chat with my RS cousin today- to my surprise he said most RS fans hated Gray & Keys and are fuckin delighted, - just shows you how much these 2 were despised when even the RS loathed them.

One downside though - Jamie (mr thomas cook holiday ads) Redknapp as the SKY football guru...aaaahhhh!