Neville ? stay or go?

Is it just me or if the reported rumours of Tottenham offering £3 million for Neville are true we should bite their hand off?!

Neville may be a good leader but he is not a good footballer; limited in defence (see recent West Ham performance), very limited in attack and VERY poor distribution (if I see another floated loopy ball to the forwards I may cry).

Why don't we just cash in now?

Chris Meddins, Chepstow, S. Wales     Posted 25/01/2011 at 19:29:16

Comments

Chris Halliday
1   Posted 25/01/2011 at 20:51:01

Good servant, nice guy, 200+ games out of him... but he can't get past the half way line these days and hangs Coleman out to dry to do all the attacking on that side. sell him and put Coleman there for the rest of the season and give him a chance to develop in his natural position.

Although Spurs will not offer £3M ? more like a cheeky bid of £1M.
Ian McDowell
2   Posted 25/01/2011 at 20:59:46

So what if we get 3 million for him. We will never see it reinvested in the squad so might as well keep him.
Eugene Ruane
3   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:02:44

At the elbow!
Al Reddish
4   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:07:32

What worries me about it is the fact Spurs, who are a club on the rise, obviously see something in him that will strenghthen their Champions League squad. This will obviously weaken us, a club on the slide with our Championship (on current form) squad.

It therefore goes to show me that we should keep him as he is considered an asset to have at a team that 18 months ago were not even in our shadow, they were that far behind.

Ray Said
5   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:14:03

I would take 3 million Tesco points for him!
John Audsley
6   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:13:20

The money will just disappear... like the Pienaar cash.

No point in selling him.
James Carroll
7   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:24:18

Try to get a cheeky deal for Keane or Kranjcar out of it? Otherwise -- accept only £3 million plus -- no less.
Al Reddish
8   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:26:58

I thought we should have got Kranjcar as a swap with Pienaar in the first place.
Jamie Sweet
9   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:24:10

On football ability alone, it would be a no-brainer... take the cash. However, I fear that withoout his leadership we would look even more lost and even less arsed than we currently do, and it could potentially be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

And as stated above, the chances of the money being re-invested into the squad are so minimal that I'd rather hang on for now, at least until the end of the season. We've got a relegation battle to negotiate first!
Ryan Holroyd
10   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:15:32

I think it would be Catastrophic for us if Neville left. Perhaps not in footballing ability but from what the other players say he is the one they all look up to. What ever you say about him, he is a winner and it would send out very bad signals if he left.
Gavin Wadeson
11   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:37:10

We need a striker.

We've already got 2 other right backs.

If, at the end of this transfer window, we've lost Pienaar and Neville, but we've acquired Robbie Keane, I'll be ecstatic.
Frank McGregor
12   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:48:35

Things really do look bleak at the moment the team looks down the manager looks completely demoralized. I can see this being the end for Moyes and I would not be surprised to see Kenwright sell the club by season end. Maybe Neville is aware of this scenario and moves on before the departures.
Wayne Hogan
13   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:52:50

Keep him; we'll never see the £3M. Swap him for Keane... not a hope, Keane is shit and wants a fortune.
Paul Holmes
14   Posted 25/01/2011 at 22:07:11

I'll drive Neville to Tottenham myself (available 24 hours a day, name and address supplied!).
James Doran
15   Posted 25/01/2011 at 21:58:54

Happy Harry wants Pip purely because Pip is the only right-back who has had Bale in his arse-pocket (twice) this season. If Pip was re-located from EFC's right-back position to Spurs' bench (and that's where he would be re-located to if we sold him to Spurs, because Hutton has played very well for Spurs this season), Happy Harry would be safe in the knowledge that, going on Bale's successes this season, Bale would be too much for any opposing EPL club's right-back to handle.
Daniel Johnson
16   Posted 25/01/2011 at 22:19:29

Jesus for £3M I would drive him myself.

Its yet another example of a player who is a "Moyes Loyalist" who has made it into the "Moyes Club" and can now do no wrong.

For fucks sake, how and why has Neville become the glue that now holds the squad together.

He obviously had fuck all influence on Gosling, Yobo, Yakubu and Pienaar.

Its said that in Business given time most managers eventually surround themselves with brown nosers as it makes them more powerful, more influential and gives them more control.
Mike Rourke
17   Posted 25/01/2011 at 22:28:12

Won't happen unless Neville agitates for a move.

Phil, if you're reading this, start agitating.
Aiden Doyle
18   Posted 25/01/2011 at 23:05:57

With respect to Jonathan Wilson:

?Gianluca Vialli has a theory that the right-back was always the worst player on the team. If he showed defensive ability, and was of average height or above, he would be moved into the centre; if he was good on the ball he would be pushed into midfield. The only players left to play at right-back, then, were those who were outstanding neither defensively nor technically. Left-backs were different, partly because left-footers are rarer and tend to be nurtured.?

Explains why Baines is often one of our stand-out players, why Seamus has been shoved forward, why Neville is praised for his leadership but not his football and, most of all, explains why Hibbert is so criminally godawful. IF Neville wants out, I?d be inclined to grant him his wish and spend the remainder of this wasted season trying to develop Coleman in to a right-back who bucks Vialli?s trend.
Dermot Ryan
19   Posted 25/01/2011 at 23:05:27

I'd take the money in a heartbeat but... I guess we will miss his leadership. I don't see any of the other senior players stepping up.

On the other hand... on the strength of this season, his much vaunted leadership hasn't been that special, has it?

Don't think it is likely to happen alas.
Sam Hoare
20   Posted 25/01/2011 at 23:50:24

Give them £1M plus Neville for Kranjcar.

Put Coleman in at RB with Bily in-front, able to cut inside onto his deadly left while Seamus overlaps on the outside.

Meanwhile Kranjcar does the same with Baines on the left.

Bingo. Bob's your mother's brother. A younger team with balance and threat.

If only...
James Stewart
21   Posted 26/01/2011 at 01:10:20

Sell sell sell!
Sean McCarthy
22   Posted 26/01/2011 at 01:15:50

If nevile leaves hibbert will play in his place for a number of reasons. Two of which are he's a better defender than Coleman and coleman can't tackle!! Hibbert isn't the best player in the world but he's also not the worst player at everton!! The anti hibbert brigade on here is tiresome. Change the fucking record!! He's a better defender than englands right back FFS!!
Sega Kana
23   Posted 26/01/2011 at 01:51:15

Admire the man and his experience but time to cash in to give our youngsters a chance to develope for the rest of the season. Like Sam's idea. 3m is a lot of money for an aging star.
Jamie Sweet
24   Posted 26/01/2011 at 01:56:48

Sam #20... apart from the insignificant fact that Bob is actually my Dads brother - the rest of what you wrote actually sounds pretty good to me!

I could certainly see the Bily - Coleman thing working in an attacking sense. However this is a new and fresh idea, and one which I have no doubt will never even cross the mind of our manager!
Jason Lam
25   Posted 26/01/2011 at 03:21:00

The cash would be reinvested into improved contract for Fellaini. So it's like signing a new player.
Paul Olsen
26   Posted 26/01/2011 at 06:58:09

Blablablah , 3 millions are nothing. Sure he's limited, but he's one of our best 11(sadly)

We're already short on numbers, why further cut back, the money wouldn't go into strengthening the squad anyways(just like the Pienaar money)

Why sell first team players for scraps? Well, i sure don't know why.
Stephen Kenny
27   Posted 26/01/2011 at 07:15:01

If Paul Holmes car breaks down, I'll be more than happy to carry him there.

I'd still be more than happy to do this if Spurs reduce their bid to 100k and a bag of space raiders, Although I'd wnat first dibs on the space raiders.
Stephen Kenny
28   Posted 26/01/2011 at 07:15:01

If Paul Holmes car breaks down, I'll be more than happy to carry him there.

Liu Weixian
29   Posted 26/01/2011 at 08:12:22

£3 million for Neville makes financial sense, but principle-wise, to Pluto with that fat ugly twat Redknapp!
Dick Fearon
30   Posted 26/01/2011 at 08:31:02

I wouldn't let Spurs have my dog for that kind of money, er' you did say three quid didn't you, mmm'
Stephen Kenny
31   Posted 26/01/2011 at 08:42:22

Bluekipper, the club's unofficial mouthpiece, have given this five fish (highest rating) that he will go.

They also say from what they have heard at the club he won't be here next week. I don't believe everything I read but I reckon this will happen.
Ed Fitzgerald
32   Posted 26/01/2011 at 08:51:31

Paul Holmes

Are you trying to get a game at right back you must be knocking on now!

Sell Neville he is holding us back. Coleman needs to be at right back with Bily in front of him. Pip is vastly overrated by many if not all on Toffeeweb.
Tony Waring
33   Posted 26/01/2011 at 09:20:34

We have cover at right back - Hibbert and Coleman. As for Vialli's theory that RB is the "worst player" he obviously never saw or heard of Alex Parker and I am sure someone else can come up with some top choices. However if Neville goes we should insist on Krancjar being part of the deal and make Distin or Arteta captain.
Richard Parker
34   Posted 26/01/2011 at 09:33:02

Tony - how about Cafu, Maicon, Sergio Ramos or Dani Alves.....

Not sure how Philipp Lahm fits into this - a right footed left-back.....

Anyway, the only way I'd consider letting Pip go would be if we had a definite first XI player coming the other way in a position which needs strengthening. So the Kranjcar idea would be interesting.... if only we didn't desperately needs a striker skilled with banjos and cow's arses...
Chris Fisher
35   Posted 26/01/2011 at 10:16:36

Make Arteta captain! Bloody hell the pressure of being out top earner and the player we look to to create has clearly fucked him up enough making him captain would only make the pressure worse! If Pip went, it would just mean Moyes would start Osman every week so he could make him captain!
Derek Thomas
36   Posted 26/01/2011 at 10:56:07

1)This story seems to be gathering momentum, so far so standard.

2) Pips total drop off in form since it surfaced could indicate the he is in favour of it.

They may have made him an offer he can't refuse, Assistant coach/bench for the big games, player for the nothing games.

Just like we couldn't afford Owen, coz we wouldn't get enough bang for our limited buck. But SAF could afford to 'waste' to him a pittence if they get 10 games out of him.

Harry might see it throught the rich end of the telescope, that his long term pluses are worth it for him as his short term minuses, while major to us, are in fact minor and standard for a player coming towards the end of his playing career.
Dave Lynch
37   Posted 26/01/2011 at 11:10:08

Tony @ 33.
I wouldn't put Arteta in charge of the tea ladies at the moment.

To let Neville go will be insanity, he is the best organiser bar none at the club.

Why do you think Harry the bung wants him ?

If he goes watch the results dip. You have been warned.
Liam Reilly
38   Posted 26/01/2011 at 11:13:50

Arry' wants to beef up his squad numbers with experienced professionals, who are not cup tied in Europe.

Makes perfect business sense as he could surely offload them in the summer merry-go-round for the same cash (or more in Pienaar's case), as he's brought them in for.

'Business Sense', now there's something we don't have in abundance at Everton.
Paul Gladwell
39   Posted 26/01/2011 at 11:06:39

I wonder how many on here with their crazy shouts go the game.

I watched that shite on Saturday and they looked fragile as I don't know what, real relegation fodder. Over the next couple of months we are going to need our Cahills and Nevilles big time. Did you not see the impact it has when either of these is out the team, Neville may be limited and I would look to replace him in the summer But now would be suicide.

Sam Hoare, Coleman was terrible on Saturday mate and got skinned big time and on a number of occasions put us in big trouble and I looked at Moyes a few times shaking his head as he did so, and to put him right back would be suicide, you said he could overlap with Bily inside him FFS can you see Bily tracking back covering for his marouding full back in the same way Pienaar did?

That is going to be the big problem with Baines having someone who will cover like Pienaar did. We need players who will be stand up and be counted, as we are in for a struggle and no matter what you think of his ability he won't shirk responsibility like some big earners are currently doing.

Gavin Ramejkis
40   Posted 26/01/2011 at 11:04:19

Aidan #18 you had me worried for a bit as I ended up as a right back but realised it was because I was getting older and slower and moved there from the right wing, I didn't start out as one.
Kevin Gillen
41   Posted 26/01/2011 at 11:23:37

I don't fancy a relegation battle without him. Also if any of our players are sold will they be replaced?

We have not seen a penny of investment since Kenwright came to the Chair, only money redirected from other transfers. Neville is undoubtedly a good influence in terms of professionalism and attitude, he needs to get forward more effectively and perform against more teams than just Tottenham (it is hard to believe but he did nutmeg Bale on the edge of the box). He is a good deputy for injured players as a holding midfielder but his days are numbered.

Maybe the time has come to build a new team without him but if you were Moyes would you sell? I certainly wouldn't seeing as we cannot attract anyone seemingly to our club.

Anthony Hawkins
42   Posted 26/01/2011 at 12:51:36

Neville. He is probably the biggest enigma in our current team.

Where other plays generally play well with a few odd bad games or generally play poorly with a mix of good games, Neville doesn't have good games. Period.

What he does do is organise players on the pitch. His experience, determination and leadership has lifted the team in ways other individuals could not.

Move forward to this season and it's clear the impact is far from the same and the team doesn't appear to be as keen to follow his leadership as they used to.

I say it's time to move Neville on, if not in this transfer window, definitely in the summer and £3m is a great deal.

Moyes is unlikely to see the £3m but is it worth the cost of having a player who will unlikely ever play or make the same impact again?
Aidy Dews
43   Posted 26/01/2011 at 12:34:56

Haha, Sam #20, if only, aye.........

£3m for a 34 going on 35 year old RB that doesn't offer anything in help attacking wise for the winger and his distribution is shit at the best of times and is only good for his leadership qualities and experience is not to be sneezed at IMO!

That's all Spurs want him for, his experience and leadership as they have a relatively young and in-experienced group of players, it's not for his footballing ability surely, they want him so they have a wise old head in amongst those good young players they have in the big Champions League games and things like that.

If I remember rightly, I think Moyes said the same things when we bought him, we just started qualifying for Europe and he wanted a player that had been there and done it and had experience and it would rub off and help the other players.

£3m for him you would think we would take it but I'm not sure Moyes would, Moyes likes him too much but I did read elsewhere that Neville was thinking about the move and did fancy another crack at Champions League football at his age, which you can't blame him and, watching him against West Ham at the weekend it looked like his mind was still on it.

I'd let him go and either put Hibbo in there till the end of the season or start blooding Coleman at RB cos I think it's time we looked to get players like Neville out of the team and start looking to the future now cos for 2 years with this squad we haven't done anything so why not look to change the personal in the squad and first team. He's already got Yak and Yobo half way out the door, Pienaar's gone but I would of preferred to of kept him and we could sell Neville for a decent fee if the rumours are to be believed.

Moyesy should get rid of the dead wood in the team and start looking to blood some of the youngsters weve got and give them a chance and look to a fresh start and a new future.
Steven Twine
44   Posted 26/01/2011 at 12:58:53

Why didn't we insist on Kranjcar swapping with Pienaar ? no money involved just a straight swap?

If the rumours are true and they turned down a £3M offer for Kranjcar, how stupid are the people in charge? We had a bargining chip with Pienaar. Now we are left with no tidy replacement and a man down in the squad... it's a joke what goes on at our club. To answer the post I`d sell Neville for £3M no less or swap him for Naughton.

Aidy Dews
45   Posted 26/01/2011 at 13:09:19

Steven 46*, apparently we wanted Kranjcar in exchange but they weren't willing to swap at this present time and cos of Pienaar's contract situation, they valued Kranjcar more so would've wanted money from us plus Pienaar for Kranjcar and we weren't in a position to deal like that.

So I think we offered to sell them Pienaar and take Kranjcar on loan til the end of the season with a view to a permanent deal but Kranjcar and Spurs wanted something permanent this month and for more than the £3m we apparently wanted him for recently.

KPR Williams
46   Posted 26/01/2011 at 13:35:22

Mbokani going to Wolfsburg says SKY transfer clock..

TFFT
Aiden Doyle
47   Posted 26/01/2011 at 13:16:19

Tony, ?As for Vialli's theory that RB is the "worst player" he obviously never saw or heard of Alex Parker? - that?s entirely possible.

Richard, I totally agree with all of your suggestions and could probably add a few more. The quote I used was actually lifted from an article that Jonathan Wilson wrote chronicling the way that, after decades of being journeymen in teams full of stars, full-backs were starting to become the most important players on the pitch.

To be fair to Vialli, his comments were made before that resurgence and were a reasonable description of European football throughout the 70?s, 80?s and 90?s. Unfortunately, whilst the better sides are now making significantly greater use of far more capable right-backs, many other clubs, including Everton, haven?t been able to adapt in that regard.
Paul Gladwell
48   Posted 26/01/2011 at 13:37:45

Anthony, "Neville does not have any good games"! ? The lad is not great but he is a good full back who rarely gets skinned, to say he has no good games is just utter shite. Put Coleman there and see what happens. He was injured at the start of the season and the organisation in the back four went to bits.

As I said on Saturday, they looked a relegation battle in the making and people coming on here saying cash in on one of the few players we have with some bottle for a fight, after already losing three this transfer window, is fucking comical. This is no time to piss about experimenting.

Peter Warren
49   Posted 26/01/2011 at 14:03:02

It pains me to say it but we would miss Neville massively. We are a bunch of softies, get bullied, lack leadership and Neville is one of the few that have some fight (Cahill another). Their importance in the team, particularly away from home, is crucial.
Jay Harris
50   Posted 26/01/2011 at 13:55:07

There are two extreme points of view knocking around at the moment.

One that we are in serious financial trouble and Kenwright offered him to Spurs.

The other is that it's just paper talk and Spurs were told "No way" at Xmas.

If we sell any of our existing squad for what is a relative pittance, I will be highly disappointed and it would confirm to me that we are well and truly in the murky stuff.
Pat Finegan
51   Posted 26/01/2011 at 16:17:56

Sell the only Everton player ever to trend on twitter?! Not going to happen unless we are severely financially screwed.
John Coady
52   Posted 26/01/2011 at 16:22:09

As bad as Phil Neville is with a ball at his feet you just cant knock the guys leadership and team player qualities. You dont just aquire a player with his experience too easy these days and its his experience that will prove crucial to the rest of our season(if he wants to stay that is) If he goes we will lose all the organizational skills he gives us and we have seen it in the past when he has been missing from games or brought on as sub and hes steadied the ship. I agree that 3mill is a great price for his age and footballing ability but at this stage of the season it would be suicidal. At the end of the season defo, but that would prob be too late in Spurs eyes as they are looking at Champs league this season so they prob wouldnt be offering the same cash. I am getting the feeling though that the deal is all but done as Arry can be very persistent! We would not see any of the cash so should insist on a swap deal. I would think Moyes knows that but are his hands tied as he never tried it when Pienaar went and he was more of a bargaining tool to us than Neville? Remember Neville was the player who started it all off for Moyes. At the time he was considered our best player and he has been a great servant to us. But it shows how far wev come in the fact that now he is probably considered to be our worst. But like i say, at this point in time we need him. Certainly more than 3 miilion pound of which the team would not see a single penny.
Albert Veldhuizen
53   Posted 26/01/2011 at 17:33:29

Sell, sell... and I hope that Hibbert and Osman will be next!!!
Jon Cox
54   Posted 26/01/2011 at 19:08:39

Neville with leadership qualities. Well that's effin great isn't it. Tell you what; let's sell all the players in our current squad and buy 15 useless players all with leadership qualities. I'm not sure whether the leadership qualities brigade know this but footballers, more often than not, tend to make the grade on how good they are at playing football.

The very fact that Nev has played most of this season would suggest that this myth is sort of non-evident or provable. I made a comment quite a while ago about Bainsey playing for England against Mexico. This game had Gerrard on the left in front of him. What did the twat do? Every time he got the ball, he cut inside and NEVER forged a partnership with our lad. Thus making him look inept.

I can, with all qualification, since I saw the World Cup, claim that, had England had a situation on the left like we had with Bainsey and Pienaar, then we would have done a megadose better. Because of stupidity in management, this didn't happen.

Back to the point: Coleman isn't a right-back. But also neither is Neville. When did you last see a through-ball that dissected a defence for Coleman to run onto? Never.

Get a competent right back who can control and pass a ball then we'll see just how good Coleman really is.

One last point: If Moyes can't find another player who has leadership then it's Moyes's fault. Like what the fuck did he do before Neville came along? Sorry but the leadership argument is totally lame, it's rubbish.

We, or maybe I want players who play for Everton, who can play football and are comfortable with the ball at their (not there) feet.

Oh while I'm at it.... Question: How long has Moyes known that Pienaar was leaving? Therefore, how long has he had Gueye doing the business with Baines in training sessions?

It's not about money, it's about the fact that Moyes has known for a long time that we were going to lose our threat on the left and just like the right has done FUCK ALL about it.

Davey, yours, Mr Fuckin' Angry.
Tony Dove
55   Posted 26/01/2011 at 22:29:33

If we have been offered a reasonable amount for Neville, it should be accepted. Hopefully that would be the beginning of a long overdue clear out of the present deadwood (including Moyes).

There has been a lot of talk about Coleman in this post but in my view he has to make it at RB. He is never going to be a Premier League midfielder.