Members:   Log In Sign Up

David Moyes must sell if Everton are to stop begging and borrowing

Very interesting piece in today's Daily Telegraph:

It?s no surprise David Moyes hates the transfer window. After all, when the vast majority of his peers are out in Europe?s boutiques, South America?s markets and even their local vintage emporiums, flashing their credit cards and pulling fistfuls of £50 notes out of their wallets to chuck at the latest fad purchase to catch their eye, the Everton manager, his pockets empty, is condemned simply to beg and borrow whatever he can.

That?s not the worst of it, though. As well as being forced to turn to football?s equivalent of the Woolworths Bargain Bin ? reaching in hoping to pick up a Dieumerci Mbokani but ending up only with a London Boyz mix-tape and a pair of pliers - Moyes has to spend the rest of his time desperately fending off the sweaty, leering, looming advances of the Premier League?s established powers, rather like an attractive Sky Sports presenter stationed next to Andy Gray in lascivious mood. Moyes, at least, does not have to contend with playground innuendo and Richard Keys?s filthy sidekick giggling. He just has to deal with Harry Redknapp trying to sign Steven Pienaar, or Mark Hughes chancing his arm and flexing Sheikh Mansour?s chequebook to entice Joleon Lescott.

Moyes takes solace in the fact that, more often than not, Everton seem to survive the vultures. Pienaar and Lescott have left, but Mikel Arteta, Jack Rodwell, Phil Jagielka, Tim Cahill, Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini have all remained. They provide the core of a solid, multi-faceted squad. But the drip, drip, drip of departures is starting to take effect. Everton began this season hoping for a Champions League place. A spot in the Europa League remains an outside possibility ? though the FA Cup is a more likely source of salvation than the league ? but more probable is the comfortable mediocrity of mid-table. Hope is eroding.

That is not simply because Pienaar has left, of course. But it is partially because his departure is symptomatic of Everton?s problem. Moyes has lost arguably his best player for £3 million (remarkably, a profit on his initial fee). But that money will only be enough to bring him a loan player, should one of sufficient quality be identified in the next five days, rather than a permanent replacement. Everton are at their financial limit. There are no funds to bolster the squad. Without money, the only way for Moyes and his side, sad to say, is down.

The Scot, one suspects, knows that, for all his steely-eyed determination and gimlet glare in response to the very suggestion that this incarnation of Everton have come full circle. Much is made at such times of what Moyes will do. Will he ditch Goodison Park for a club that can allow him a bi-annual shopping spree? How will he ever fulfil his potential? Such questions are valid, but they miss the point. Moyes, that long-term contender for a prestigious seat at one of the Premier League?s most revered institutions, now faces the sort of test that will determine whether he is cut out for Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge or the Emirates. After eight careful years building his team, he must break it up and start again.

Bill Kenwright, as everyone knows, cannot furnish Moyes with money. Quite rightly, the Scot knows that selling one player will weaken his hand substantially (though cashing in on Jack Rodwell may not be such a bad idea, given that his value outweighs his current usefulness). So how to get the funds to rebuild Everton? Sell four or five players, for premium fees. Replace them with younger, cheaper and ? most importantly ? slightly more numerous models. Rodwell, Arteta, Jagielka and perhaps even Cahill would fetch around £50 million at least on the open market. Imagine what the manager who spotted the latter three, as well as Pienaar, and bought them for chump change could do with that money.

Such a suggestion is anathema to Moyes, loyal to his squad, devout in his belief that one player, maybe two, at the end of this season would rectify Everton?s problems. Possibly, but it seems unlikely. He has nurtured this team?s evolution expertly. That process has stalled. Revolution may be his last resort.

By Rory Smith
The Telegraph
James Carroll, USA     Posted 26/01/2011 at 14:03:57

Comments

Dave Lynch
1   Posted 26/01/2011 at 14:34:46

With a heavy heart, I cannot really disagree.
Colin Ryan
2   Posted 26/01/2011 at 14:53:43

Was thinking the same myself over the last few days. Sell Rodwell, Jags and Arteta for £40M approx. Give Moyes £15M and throw £25m at our reported £60M worth of debts.

But I would only do the above if Bill was gone and I knew the £25M was going towards our debts and not towards Bill's latest theatre production or wherever else our income goes to.

Moyes could get semi-decent replacements in with £15M and wth lower debts to pay we give ourselves a chance at having transfer funds in future windows.
Lewis Morrison
3   Posted 26/01/2011 at 14:47:11

But how much of that £50 million would Moyes get to spend???

I think Kenwright's answer to that would be at best "Half for you, half for me, Davey".

The only person who should be selling up is Bill Kenwright before the rumours of administration become a reality!
Steve Cotton
4   Posted 26/01/2011 at 14:47:13

Hit the nail on the head.. only snag is Arteta is currently worth about £3 mill as he has no form and a huge paypacket to match. Rodwell is not even getting a game with us so may well be only worth £10 mill in the current scope of things. Jagielka probably worth £10 mill tops as he can be as big a liability as Yobo when he starts hoofing the ball. Cahill is in his twilight so probably worth £2.5 mill tops.

Of the rest, Fellaini is likely to be worth £15mill and Baines about £10 mill, Heitinger £7-8 mill if we are lucky.

I still think Adam Hammill for £500k would have been a bargain and possibly Steve Sidwell £4 million & David Wheater £2 Million, Paul Scharner free would have given us some strength in depth.
Dave Wilson
5   Posted 26/01/2011 at 14:56:37

Moyes is having to listen to unnecessarily spiteful and wildly inaccurate abuse from a growing section of Evertonians.

Why would he want to start again?
Al Reddish
6   Posted 26/01/2011 at 15:03:19

I would say give the lot to Moyes and let that shit house sort out his own problems.
Brian Waring
7   Posted 26/01/2011 at 15:19:06

"Why would he want to start again?"

I would hope he wouldn't. He's had 9 years as it is, I couldn't take another 9...

Gareth Fieldstead
8   Posted 26/01/2011 at 16:03:53

I also think players should be sold, isn't that how most teams have to do it? However, as Brian points out, I wouldn't necessarily give it to Moyes. He would still try and build his team around the piece of filth currently playing in empty stadiums in Qatar.

Is it only me who has a problem with Cahill? Here is a player on a fortune at our club when we can hardly afford it! His team have played woeful most of the season and entered January on the back of a defeat to Stoke which left us only a few points above the relegation zone with games against Liverpool and Spurs plus the small matter of the FA Cup.

What does he do, and let's not make the mistake that he didn't have a choice, because as he stated himself, he did. He decides to leave our club in the lurch to play in this two bit tournament that not even the locals are interested in, whilst continuing to get paid by us of course!

It's a shame a centre forward will not be arriving at the club to force him out. Kenwright, Moyes and Cahill out!

Paraic McCague
9   Posted 26/01/2011 at 16:31:26

Since we are called the "People's Club" maybe we just pitch in some cash and help the club buy a striker! Let us buy a striker for the club!!!

I get hours and entertainment of watching the club play, unfortunately all on TV. I am not sure what size of a fan base we have but let?s say 40,000 fans pitching in a £100 quid would result in $4M.

Plus I would get kick out of knowing I paid towards the striker... or I have I just gone mad?

Ste Traverse
10   Posted 26/01/2011 at 16:26:10

Gareth. Your comments about Cahill are a disgrace, nobody has given more for this club over the last 7 years. To call any Everton player "filth" is quite disgusting.

Fuck off you arrogant moron.
Trevor Lynes
11   Posted 26/01/2011 at 16:29:06

Surely the money wasted on pre-season 'Jollies' to the USA and Oz could be saved towards rebuilding our crumbling edifice? Why Oh why is DM and his journeymen heading to the far reaches of the world instead of honing their fitness levels against decent opposition in Europe at a much lower cost?

Every season we start poorly and recover towards the end so pre-season preparation cannot be doing the players any good. Maybe this season we will not recover sufficiently to get into the top half of the table; this again is revenue lost because of league end placing bonuses.

We are slowly but surely eroding and sagging towards eventual relegation rather than improving as other teams are. Our so-called strongest squad is being picked at like greedy vultures by the teams with REAL ambition. We have lost Gosling, Pienaar and Lescott plus Yak, Vaughan, Yobo on loan at lower clubs... It is glaringly obvious that BK and his cronies are NOT doing anything to stop the slide.

DM cannot lose in status as a manager as he has had no money to spend so maybe it's a good career boost for him not to have money so he cannot waste it.....

I am being really cynical but I am sick to my stomach... I supported the team during our last relegation in 1950 and that was a poor side. I have seen us rise again in 1953 and keep our place in the top league ever since. I hope I never see EFC go down again but I am deeply affected by the woeful and criminal mismanagement of the recent board.

We have consistently good gates and I truly cannot believe that we are seemingly worse off than EVERY other club in the Premier League and indeed some in the Championship. No one seems to want to play for us!!!

Roberto Birquet
12   Posted 26/01/2011 at 16:55:13

I only partly agree. I believe our hand will be forced in the summer as Felli decides to resist the new contract. With two years left on his deal, we'll have to invite a bidding war. It is probably needed to get more strength in key areas rather than loads of good centre mids and defenders, and no strikers and wingers.

The sales of Yak, Yobo and Pienaar will only be enough to get us one decent striker to have us competing for 5th again. We need possibly a Donovan (for £7-8 million) or someone younger. Felli would pay for that and a similar-priced replacement for himself.

It would mean we'd be more balanced. Donovan and Coleman on the right; Bily or other plus Gueye on the left. A £12 million striker with Saha and Beckford as extras. We have plenty of centre mids.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
13   Posted 26/01/2011 at 17:05:25

Gareth (#8) ? Yellow Card.... No make that a Red Card.

There is absolutely no justification for calling Tim Cahill a "piece of filth". That is totally unacceptable.

While I am in complete agreement regarding the point you are making regarding the ridiculous timing of this ridiculous completion, and the nonsense of professional players being allowed or required to play for their countries for extended periods outside of International breaks to the clear detriment of their paymasters, that is definitely no way to make such a point.
Marc Williams
14   Posted 26/01/2011 at 17:01:09

Gareth 8# ..... WTF "Cahill a piece of Filth"?

Get a grip eh fella!

Lee Courtliff
15   Posted 26/01/2011 at 17:11:23

Gareth *8 ? Maybe Tim loves playing for his country? Maybe YOU are a twat? In fact, you definitely are! Fuck off. If I was a footballer and anybody told me I couldn't play in the European Championships for England, I would tell them to do one. Playing for your country is an honour.

Good luck, Tim, come back with a winners medal and no injuries!!

Frank McGregor
16   Posted 26/01/2011 at 17:13:17

Rory Smith's article is in my opinion totally unrealistic in fact utter rubbish. As an ex-player and coach of many years and going through the struggle of building teams up to such a level that makes them reasonably successful and someone comes in and suggested to break the team up I would have walked away immediately. Did he suggest the same thing to Chelsea when they were going through the recent bad patch with all their OLD PLAYERS.
Ellen West
17   Posted 26/01/2011 at 17:24:12

What would £50 million get us these days?
2 x £5 million players
1 x £4 million pound player

£60,000 per week x 3 players x 4 years = £3,750,000

There you go! If you can find me 3 decent players to replace them and take us to the next level for that amount of cash. Sell 'em all.
Oliver Molloy
18   Posted 26/01/2011 at 17:27:11

Colin @ 2

Arteta,Jags & Rodwell worth a combined £40M you reckon? So which one of them is it that is worth over the £25M?
Trevor Lynes
19   Posted 26/01/2011 at 17:39:41

If teams know that a club needs money, they bid low, so we will be lucky to get much for Arteta or Cahill as they are both nearing the end of their careers. Baines may fetch £6-7 million... Jags about the same and I'm afraid that Rodders has not shown any improvement since his fine start and will only be about the same, which brings around £25M altogether for our three youngsters... about £10M for Arteta and Cahill combined.

I would move out Heitinga defo', Yak if possible, Yobo and Vaughan... give Bily a chance to improve as he has not really had a decent run.

Brian Lawlor
20   Posted 26/01/2011 at 17:35:32

I think our financial situation is a lot worse than we think. I mean a lot worse ? as in close to administration.

The Pienaar sale was forced through. He was always going to Spurs as that was agreed months ago between his agent and them. It was more likely to be the Summer. However, Everton suggested that we'd had a bid from Chelsea when they never even bid for him (Ancellotti even said so) and this was to force the hand of Spurs. I've also heard we touted Neville to Spurs.

The silence from the normal rent-a-quote Billy Bullshitter is deafening. Where is he? The only reason the Yak was allowed to go to Leicester was to get his wages off our books. We bloody need him! Now Vaughan has gone out again when we're short of strikers. That's 3 players out and none in. It doesn't look like we'll bring any one in either.

If we don't sign anyone and lose to Chelsea, I can honestly see Moyes walking. The unnecessary abuse and the non existent backing from the board and the expectancy for him to achieve miracles with his hands tied behind is back will have added to it.

This is seriously depressing.

Larry Boner
21   Posted 26/01/2011 at 17:40:22

Paraic McCague ? what an absolutely wonderful name.
I pay, upfront every season for my Dad's, my son's and my own season tickets, I think that is enough commitment for me and my family as I am guaranteed nothing by the club... and that is exactly what I get every season ? nothing.
Steve Edwards
22   Posted 26/01/2011 at 17:31:39

I agree that what Gareth said, calling Cahill a piece of filth, was completely out of order. He does have a point though.

Tim is now 31 years of age and it's about time he thought about jacking in the internationals if only to prolong his career in the Premier League. It's not as if he his playing down the road, is it? By the way, Tim, Australia won't give a shite about you if you have a career-ending injury. They don't even pay your wages.

I am one who quite frankly dosn't give a toss about international matches. If England were playing in my back garden I'd close the curtains. There's only one team that I care about and they play in blue and white.

It's about time clubs got together and told the likes of that gobshite, Seb Blatter and his bent cronies where to stick their international matches. After all, it's the likes of us who are paying for it by supporting our club. I'm sure there will be those who disagree with me but you may be singing a different tune if we are relegated.

Mark Wayman
23   Posted 26/01/2011 at 18:00:26

Selling off your best players isn't really a long-term solution, is it?

If all went well, we would have to sell the next lot of players on, and start all over again. If things didn't go well, we would have a group of rubbish players we couldn't get rid of.

Ideally you would want a few young players coming though the ranks every season or so, and the funds to add a little 'outside' quality to bring fresh ideas to the squad.

It seems like we do have some good youngsters waiting in the wings, but no money.

As mentioned above, our hand could be forced with Fellaini's contract up for renewal.
Matthew Lovekin
24   Posted 26/01/2011 at 18:15:21

I agree with the idea in principle but perhaps not the players mentioned.

I would certainly keep Rodwell and try a build a team around him and Fellaini. That leaves Arteta, Jagielka and Cahill, in fact any player aged 28 and over.

However, Arteta's value is dropping quickly, Jagielka's is slowing decreasing and Cahill is in the twilight of his career. How much would we honestly get for Tim? £4m? I'd rather keep him for another couple of seasons.

That leaves the over-28's (minus Cahill), would probably only fetch £20m.

Ideally, we would need 5 or 6 youngsters like Lukaku and Chamberlain (£20m for those 2 alone).

Catch 22 really. Ok, you could sell Rodwell for £15m, Fellaini £25m, Baines £10m, Heitinga £8m, but they are our best players with still a long career ahead of them. Sell those and you need 10-15 youngsters that WILL turn into world class players. It's a hell of a gamble.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Oliver Molloy
25   Posted 26/01/2011 at 18:22:27

Steve @ 22:
I agree with what you say regards Cahill but, if we are honest, he knows he's going to win nothing playing for us, so a winners medal in this Asia Cup will mean a lot to him!!!

Mark @ 23:
I would be very very surprised if Fellaini signs an extension to his contract given the mess we are in. Really hope I'm wrong because the guy is a rough-edged diamond. Can you imagine what Fellaini would be like playing for Arsenal....
Brian Lawlor
26   Posted 26/01/2011 at 18:36:15

I agree that calling Cahill 'filth' was out of order but he definitely has a valid point, especially as we currently really need him.

The argument that it's ok to play in this nothing tournament because he really wants to play for his country doesn't quite wash with me. He's not a true Australian. His Dad was English with Irish decent and Mother was Samoan. Ok he was born and raised there but he played for Samoa up until Under-17.

He also applied to play for the Irish team in 2002 but was rejected on grounds of eligibility. It was only when Fifa changed it's rules in 2004 (he couldn't play as he'd represented Samoa) that they allowed him to play for Australia.

Now I'm ready to be shouted down here but he's a not a true Ozzie ? just like Kevin Pietersen isn't English and Eduardo Da Silva isn't Croatian.

Des Kennedy
27   Posted 26/01/2011 at 18:25:25

Firstly, I'm disgusted that an interesting article with some thoughful responses has been hijacked by an attack on Tim Cahill.

He always gives 100% and if some of the line-up from last Saturday could match his committment we wouldn't be in this dire league position.

The World Cup didn't seem to affect his performances so hopefully he'll come back stronger than ever from Quatar.

Back to the article - Is anyone annoyed that the author indicates Moyes should re-build the team to enhance his cv, as the powers that be down in Mordor might take note? Bolloxs to that. And why should he re-build - age wise most of the players are near to if not in their prime (statistically speaking!).

Wegner was forced to re-build as the so called Invincibles had a back 4 with a combined age of 104. Every team whiskey-nose has re-built has cost money, lots of money, and if the likes of Darren Bent is worth £18m, how far would the sales of Arteta, Rodwell etc stretch?

We need a signing like Landon Donovan to spark things up again. Not a wholesale clear-out.
David Thomas
28   Posted 26/01/2011 at 19:15:30

Its funny how people are having a go at Tim Cahill for going off to the Asia Cup. A couple of weeks ago people were telling us that Tim Cahill should not be in the team and we are better off without him in the starting 11 and playing Saha and Beckford up front.

Steve Edwards
29   Posted 26/01/2011 at 19:09:42

Des(27) The thing is Rodwell hasn't actually proved himself yet. He's still only a 'great prospect'. The way Arteta has played this season you'd be lucky to a couple of bottle tops for him.

Sorry if I'm one who made you disgusted, it dosn't take much to disgust you.
Brian Lawlor
30   Posted 26/01/2011 at 19:38:27

It's funny how some 'people' point out that 'people' who say Cahill shouldn't be in the team must the same 'people' who are saying he shouldn't have gone the Asia Cup.

Unless you're got names of people who are contradicting themselves why say something totally pointless. Some people rate him, some don't. End of.

Random.
Jimmy Hacking
31   Posted 26/01/2011 at 20:25:15

Gareth #8; though I love Cahill more than any other Everton player, largely agree with your comments. He should have done the sensible thing and not travelled to that insignificant tournament, in the middle of a season when the club who have made him a multi-millionaire desperately need his services.

And before anyone points this out; Yes, I felt exactly the same way about Yakubu last year.
Des Kennedy
32   Posted 26/01/2011 at 21:09:34

Steve #29 - If we're going to debate the merits or not of Cahill going to Qatar then I think it should be on a different thread. That's all I was getting at.

Being disgusted is a great state of mind and one I have become regularly accustomed to this season!
Peter Bourke
33   Posted 26/01/2011 at 21:04:26

@Gareth 8.

Your vitriolic attack on Tim Cahill is the worst piece of shite i have ever read on TW. He is a club legend and a great ambassador for Everton.I can't believe an Evertonian would say that about Tim Cahill.

Oliver Molloy
34   Posted 26/01/2011 at 21:34:31

Would we have achieved any better results if Tim had not gone?...
David Thomas
35   Posted 26/01/2011 at 21:37:26

Brian,

By the way Cahill is a real Australian. He was born in Australia, grew up in Australia and has an Australian Passport.
John Shaw
36   Posted 26/01/2011 at 22:10:43

Brian - (26) Cahill is nothing like Pietersen. Tim was born in Australia, raised in Australia, has an Australian passport and plays for Australia. Pietersen was born in SA, raised in SA, had a SA passport but played for England. Notice the very obvious difference?

Just in case, Tim is representing the country of his birth, which is his right.

It's a pity the England footy side don't have players who are as committed, if they did I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have been taken apart in the last World Cup.
Dick Fearon
37   Posted 26/01/2011 at 22:24:29

Gareth #8, your Cahill comment is not worthy of an answer.

I do however agree about your Moyes out part. This is a man totally oblivious to the fact that Osman is not, never was, and never will be anywhere near good enough. Another example that he has lost the plot is paying £75,000 pw to a player who cannot lob a simple fee kick beyond the first defender and currently would not make the bench for most clubs.

Further proof of his crackpot tactical nous was pairing as twin strikers two bull-at-a-gate players with neither of whom having a first touch and bereft of any kind of subtlety.

Should even more proof of his incompetency be required, think back to those innumerable times over the past nine years when he made mind boggling substitutions usually far too late.

Defend him if you will but please explain why Rodwell, touted as England's future captain, is warming the bench while Moyes puts out a makeshift rabble.

I could go on and on about Moyes's limitations but like most I am resigned to suffering at a distance.

Steven Pendleton
38   Posted 26/01/2011 at 23:52:51

In total agreeance with you, Dick. Not gonna be long before Rodwell gets frustrated getting splinters and bored from watching our dour displays and asks for a move. Get the kid on. Let Osman watch from the bench.

Gareth, you're a disgrace.
Ryan Rosenberg
39   Posted 27/01/2011 at 01:26:14

Tim Cahill would do anything for his country. If it's anybodys fault it's FIFA for making the tournament during the season. Believe me I'm annoyed he isn't here, but get a grip, he loves playing for his country more than anything, it's an honor to him. If he wasnt playing in the tournament, the country would be dumbfounded. All Australian football fans all understand Tim's patriotism. Gareth fuck off.
Jason Lam
40   Posted 27/01/2011 at 02:06:20

That's no way to speak about our top goalscorer. He'll come back and get us even more goals. Just to prove his committment having to travel half the world to play for his country and back.

Unlike our 'shameful' center forwards who couldn't hit a barndoor (where are they now?). FFS life must be good if you're slating Tim Cahill's efforts. Blimey.
Paul Kish
41   Posted 27/01/2011 at 03:29:49

Exactly what is it on here with Tim Cahill and the Asian Cup? Why is it ok for England players to want to play in the European Championships but not Tim play for his country in the equivalent competition? It's ok for our African players to go the the Africa Cup of Nations but not Tim to Asia?

Get off the guy's back it's not his fault FIFA have agreed to run the competition when they have nor is our club the only one affected. Man Utd is too. Where do you think Park has gone??

There are clubs in Germany and elsewhere too who have Japanese and Korean players who have gone to represent their countries too. They have every right to.

We should be proud that Tim is an International who has made the final of an international tournament. Get off his back.

Michael Kenrick
42   Posted 27/01/2011 at 03:50:59

I think people are misunderstanding the target here: it should be Fifa, not Tim Cahill. Cahill should never be put in this position because Fifa should never allow such competitions to be scheduled during the primary northern-hemisphere season. Same for Afcon: it should not ever be scheduled such that professional players are stolen from their clubs. That is the ridiculous part of this nonsense.

Personally, I think it would have been great if Tim had made a statement that he would not play such a tournament during the regular season... but we all know that would never happen.
Liu Weixian
43   Posted 27/01/2011 at 04:02:35

Gareth (#8),

Your comment on Cahill is absolutely shocking. Cahill has been giving his best for the club since his arrival. While he is loyal to Everton, let us not forget that he is also an Australian. At least he is proud of putting on his country's colours, unlike some overpaid brats playing for England.

It is not Cahill's fault that he excels in a woefully negative and ineffective 4-5-1 formation Moyes chose to play. As a player you can only try your best and so far he's done pretty well for us, yea? I don't know what the bloke must do to earn the respect of some Evertonians. Score 40 goals in one season?!

Dick Fearon
44   Posted 27/01/2011 at 05:00:25

With Cahill in Asia bang goes any chance of Moyes landing another manager of the month award.
Liu #43, Some people form a dislike of certain players and nothing on earth will change their mind.
Constantly on the look out for any morsel and use any feeble argument that supports their jaundiced belief.

Michael #42, If the Asia Cup is to be played at all it must be at this time of year. During the English close season temperatures in the middle east often go as high as 50C. Things might change when Qatar builds the 13 air conditioned 50,000 seat stadia it promised Fifa for the 2022 World Cup.

Michael Kenrick
45   Posted 27/01/2011 at 06:31:23

Dick, the temperature argument is completely fallacious. Most of these South Asian and Middle Eastern countries are normally hot and that hasn't stopped them playing footy. In fact, it's the Asian Cup, so it should be played in whatever conditions apply in whatever part of Asia they chose to play it. It should not, under any circumstances be played when the major European Leagues are in action. This is classic Fifa/Blatter nonsense devaluing the established game to favour the minnows.
David Cornmell
46   Posted 27/01/2011 at 07:45:09

Gareth Feldstead wrote "Is it only me who has a problem with Cahill?"

Gareth Feldstead wrote "His team have played woeful most of the season and entered January on the back of a defeat to Stoke..."

Note the word 'team' in there.
Jason Lam
47   Posted 27/01/2011 at 09:30:42

MK, I'm not a particular fan of Fifa/Blatter but to state non-European leagues as nonsense minnows is not on.

Football is a global game. Not a closed monopoly of Premier League and Champions League. Every country that has a passion for footie has the right to aspire to hosting competitions. Whether they are Brazil, Russia or Qatar. Blame the weather if you must but that's just plain minnowist. Ironic that we sport Chang on our jerseys and rely on a 'minnow' to score our goals. FFS.

James Cadwaladr
48   Posted 27/01/2011 at 11:20:11

Gareth you ought to be ashamed of yourself.
David Chait
49   Posted 27/01/2011 at 12:18:48

Nothing has ever made me angry when it comes to opinions, hence why I'm always amused by the most vitriolic of posters... but #8 has made my blood boil. Disgrace to all Evertons fans.. I won't add to the insults... # 10 has spoken for us all.

To the point... Dave #5 that's how I see it too. If we went this route, it would feel like starting again. Ok, the plan got us so far... we hoped for more... but it didn't work. Back to the drawing board and let's see where the new batch is in 5 years time.
Darren Scotland
50   Posted 27/01/2011 at 13:07:33

Getting back to the original article; is it just me or would this route be a tiny bit short-sighted? Dare I say, simplistic even?

Selling 3-4 of your prize assets to replace them with ?younger, hungrier? players sounds great in theory but it?s based on the assumption that every signing Moyes, or any other manager for that matter, makes turns out to be a top one ? something I think is impossible.

It?s easy enough to point to some of his past masterstrokes; Pienaar, Areta, Cahill and Coleman; but for all those names there have been others that we?ve spent big on and haven?t delivered ? see Beattie, Davies, Krøldrup, Andy van der Meyde, Bily(?)...

My point then is this: if we somehow managed to raise £50M (in our dreams) selling 4 players and we then went on to sign half-a-dozen or so, we have to be realistic enough to expect 2 or 3 of those signings to flop ? this isn?t a dig at Moyes ? it?s just the nature of game.

The issue at our club ? and perhaps in football more widely ? clearly runs deeper and as a consequence needs a more sophisticated solution (one that I?m afraid my tiny brain doesn?t have!).

My fear is these ?articles? do nothing to move us any nearer a solution. At best only mask the problems and at worst, they distract the masses and delay us making any real progress.

Whether Blue Bill's or Moyes?s time is up is a matter of opinion. All I?m craving for is a little more openness and for the club to start engaging with its fans a bit more ? from the outside looking in, it smacks of clutching at straws at the moment and lord knows there?s an army of fans out there with a bags of ideas and barrel-loads of passion?
Dick Fearon
51   Posted 27/01/2011 at 13:14:04

It is only a matter of time until regions such as the middle east, Africa, North America and India assume domination of world football. The signs are already there for the Premier League. The majority of its clubs are already foreign owned and stacked with foreign players. The only English connection they have are the fans ? excepting of course for the RS.
Darren Scotland
52   Posted 27/01/2011 at 15:27:39

How many times have we heard that one too Dick??

Who knows what'll happen over the next century or two but there's no way we'll see those regions rule the roost any time soon.

What ever the problems are at the top of the game, at grass roots level footie still thrives and we'll continue to have far more resources that countries in the likes of Asia and the Middle-East.

Take the money out the game and Kids'll still want to play for their team.
Craig Taylor
53   Posted 27/01/2011 at 20:59:31

Bill Kenwright must sell if Everton are to stop begging and borrowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Garry Corgan
54   Posted 27/01/2011 at 21:44:40

@ Ellen West #17...

"£60,000 per week x 3 players x 4 years = £3,750,000"

Nope...

£60,000 per week x 3 players x 4 years = £37,440,000
Dick Fearon
55   Posted 27/01/2011 at 21:52:52

Darren #52, Look no further than Cricket, recently controlled from Lords, today India says jump and the taverners say how high.