FA Cup and beyond

Decent article by Phil McNulty about our FA Cup tie against Chelsea tomorrow.

In a twisted, bizarre and ridiculous way I sort of wouldn't mind us getting beaten tomorrow. I just can't handle the thought of us just plodding along, regressing until we ultimately get relegated in a few years' time. I'd rather just lose, Moyes resign and the shit hit the fan now and let it all play out!

I'm a fan of Moyes but our relationship with him is coming to an end. Like McNulty says, next year he would've been with us 10 years. Even if we win tomorrow, Moyes will be off soon. I'm depressed.

Tom Winek, Kent     Posted 28/01/2011 at 13:57:35

Comments

David S Shaw
1   Posted 28/01/2011 at 14:48:33

I'd rather we won the FA Cup myself... but hey ho!
Sean Smythe
2   Posted 28/01/2011 at 14:48:59

We need Moyes more than He needs Us ? So says Pat Nevin...

"What I will say is that if David Moyes wasn't at Everton, I would be delighted to see him at Chelsea if there was ever a vacancy. I don't know one person who could have done a better job at Everton in the circumstances," Nevin commented.

"Things may not have gone right for David so far this season but I would say Everton need David Moyes more than David Moyes needs Everton. If he was relieved of his post on Saturday afternoon, which he won't be obviously, there would be a queue for his services. He would not be out of work for long because he is so highly regarded within the game."

Rob Hill
3   Posted 28/01/2011 at 15:00:13

"I'd rather just lose, Moyes resign and the shit hit the fan now and let it all play out! "

Wow.
Chris Keightley
4   Posted 28/01/2011 at 15:08:07

Lets be realistic can we beat Chelsea at present ?? my answer unlikely - will we lose to a rampant gunners side - my answer Yes. Could Blackpool turn us over at home - again Yes.

Would Moyes walk if we lost all three? more than likely - its a matter of time a major transformation will happen - and im dreading the outcome!!
Rob Hill
5   Posted 28/01/2011 at 15:25:59

Of course we can beat Chelsea.

And what happens if we beat Chelsea, beat/draw with Arsenal & beat Blackpool?

All of which can actually happen!

It won't change the major problem which is the finances.

*link to any other Toffeeweb thread. *
Kieran Kinsella
6   Posted 28/01/2011 at 15:36:55

I fully expect to lose and have not doubt that we will after which we'll probably win 4 meaningless league games so Moyes can get a MoTM award and then play out the rest of the season in mid table until the summer rolls round and well sell Rodwell/Fellaini.
Christopher McCullough
7   Posted 28/01/2011 at 15:41:28

Not the correct attitude, lads.

We can win tomorrow! Glory is possible, this year. I'm looking forward to the game.
Mike Green
8   Posted 28/01/2011 at 15:45:45

Cup Tie. At Goodison. Against one of the Leagues top, sides. One of the most obnoxious sides with certainly some of the most obnoxious support. The side that beat us in the Cup Final a couple of years ago. Millions v A biscuit, a golf tee and a worn down rubber.

Hmmm..... yeah, I cant be arsed with it any more either.
Mark Wayman
9   Posted 28/01/2011 at 15:53:25

Rob (5) - I agree completely.

I REALLY don't want us to lose tomorrow - I can't believe some people do! I would love to win the FA Cup, maybe unlikely, but you never know.

Fan and players could do with the boost of beating Chelsea.

Although I don't think Moyes perfect, and question some of his decisions this season especially, I don't think he would find job offers hard to come by.
Trevor Lynes
10   Posted 28/01/2011 at 15:48:42

Dont forget Middlesborough reached the final and were relegated !!
I reckon even if we beat Chelsea it will be a backs to the wall fight until season end and the places lost in the league table would equal more than the money gained from selling Pienaar....I reckon old harry has done very well for £3 million and then had the cheek to turn us down over Krankjar...we should stop selling players to him at bargain basement prices...BOYCOTT the Spurs !!
I am rapidly losing interest in football as it is run in this country..its getting more like the SPL every season and the league title is still uncompetitive, resting between two or three teams each season.
Before the influx of foreign players and the ridiculous infusion of money for the BIG clubs we had a pretty level playing field with lots of different teams winning the league.
When Liverpool dominated the title some years ago it was without foreign players and oodles of money...Even we had won as many titles as Man Utd before the premiership was formed.....BUT according to the biased media football history only started with the F.....G premier...Im sick of the whole crap..
Dave Charles
11   Posted 28/01/2011 at 15:57:40

Thank God it's Friday eehh.
Andrew Lawrenson
12   Posted 28/01/2011 at 16:01:00

I never never never want Everton to lose a game
Marc Williams
13   Posted 28/01/2011 at 15:52:59

Christopher McCullough 7#

Are you Elstone ? Are You Elstone ? ...Are you Elstone in Disguise?

Are ..You ..Elstone .. Disguise ?

You all know the tune fella's & please feel free to change Elsone to Doddy if you prefer...after all with this post, either of them could be impersonating poor Christopher on here !

Andy Whittingham
14   Posted 28/01/2011 at 16:05:57

A biscuit, a golf tee and a worn down rubber ..I didn't realise the accounts were public yet?
Christopher McCullough
15   Posted 28/01/2011 at 16:07:12

I am, indeed, Robert Elstone.
Rob Hill
16   Posted 28/01/2011 at 16:14:38

...then spend less time on the sunbeds and more time finding some money!
Christopher McCullough
17   Posted 28/01/2011 at 16:21:13

Can't make any promises re: sunbeds.
Marc Williams
18   Posted 28/01/2011 at 16:18:50

Christopher 15# .... Brilliant, spotted you first time.

Make up another name to post under, get another crappy bit of PR from Ian Ross & try again.

I can then play a game of trying to spot you until I can go home... I hate this time on a Friday.

Oh and THANKS Mr Elstone, that'll be the most useful thing you've ever done for an Everton fan.
Larry Boner
19   Posted 28/01/2011 at 16:23:58

Just as an aside, albeit a relevant one, read up on the Green Bay Packers, who have just qualified for the Superbowl.
Fascinating reading, a community based and owned, non profit making club and the most successful in NFL history, which must have the longest wait for a season ticket in the world.
What can be done if you stick to your roots.
Christopher McCullough
20   Posted 28/01/2011 at 16:32:14

Thanks, Larry. You've just given me something o do in work. It's quite ironic that they've made it to the Superbowl as their story contradicts the American Dream.
Craig Taylor
21   Posted 28/01/2011 at 16:41:23

I think we can be giant killers.
Mark Wayman
22   Posted 28/01/2011 at 17:21:17

I've quite fancied us to win this game since it was drawn. My personal belief is thst no matter who you are you should win your homes games, even against the 'top sides' of whatever era.

We actually have a decent record against Chelsea of late, I'm not convinced with them even though they've won their past few, I think they lack quality, and their better players are getting on.

I'm looking forward to seeing how we line up tomorrow. Really we need to go for it, no replay!
Phil Martin
23   Posted 28/01/2011 at 17:11:02

No-one truly wants their team to lose. But the OP's point is that this inevitable slow slide into oblivion is even more intolerable then simply losing a game.

After 20 years of shite we were almost there again. But for the abysmal financial management of this club we could have been back among the elite now.

However for me it's not losing games that's the most painful any more. It's knowing even IF we win, we're still screwed. The fact we'll still being selling one of Baines/Fellaini/Rodwell to a more ambitious rival in 12 months time.

Thank you Bill, Robert and Sir Philip. and,
Jalil Noor
24   Posted 28/01/2011 at 17:57:58

Fuck me... the shite just agreed a deal to bring Suarez from Ajax. Now they will have 2 prolific strikers!

How come we can never find any fucking investment or new owners... what they fuck we need to do to get some money in besides the bleeding obvious and sell our top performers.

Even clubs like Blackburn, Birmingham, Portsmouth (Twice! granted they are in bad shape now more cos of 'arry than anything else) so why can't we? Even when we were on the up, don't tell me no one was interested. Ah! that's right, they weren't good enough as according to Kenwright

It's just fucking depressing to be an evertonian right now. Mostly gloom and doom and not even a freaking signing yet.

Sorry lads... just need to get this rant off me chest.
Karl Masters
25   Posted 28/01/2011 at 18:18:24

Tom Winek: You want us to lose? You utter tosser!

I live in Kent, like you do apparently. Please stand in the middle lane of the M2 somehere between the Gillingham and Chatham junctions and I will do my very best to knock you into a nearby field with the bonnet of my car!

You're depressed? Not as depressed as it makes me seeing so called Evertonians wallowing in this anti-Moyes drivel BEFORE the match has even begun. And wahtever has happened in previous games, tomorrow is another game, another chance, so stick your whining where the sun don't shine.
Ian McDowell
26   Posted 28/01/2011 at 19:05:15

And now Anichebe is doubtful when we have just let 2 strikers go.
Chris Hannon
27   Posted 28/01/2011 at 19:08:22

This site is either getting quite sad with the moaning and winging or more and more red shite r making accounts due to being sad bastards or having way too much time on there hands! We have no money we haven't had no money for a long time! No matter who ur manager is, David moyes or Jose mourinho if you spend nothing and don't strengthen your squad and nearly everyone around you does then it doesn't take a Genius to work out that your not going to have te best season ever! Everyone knows our situation and it's not gonna change anytime soon unless investors come in! I can't change it and neither can all u negative sad moaning pessimists! So either get behind the team we have left and try and make a difference tomorrow and any game from now till may possibly or just stay on the couch along with your negativity and boring moaning!
Leon Perrin
28   Posted 28/01/2011 at 19:23:42

Tom

You might have been better saying if we lose and it brings things to a head you wouldn't mind, certainly how I feel.
Mike Green
29   Posted 28/01/2011 at 19:40:30

Ian (26) - Anichebe injured? Best news I've had all day!

Andy (14) - RUMOUR has it there was some money in there too- proper money - not big money, not paper money but definitely hard cash. I heard it was a quid. I did. A whole nugget. The big 1. By all accounts it's this revelation that's stalling the whole thing. Watch this space......
Paul McGinty
30   Posted 28/01/2011 at 19:38:24

As to the Packers and the NFL Superbowl
Probably the main reason the NFL has competitive balance is that right from it's beginnings the league has revenue sharing. So Green Bay competes with all the big markets on an equal footing.
Mike Green
31   Posted 28/01/2011 at 20:00:27

Paul - I thought it was down to the draft system and fans being loyal to a club (franchise.....) regardless of their geographical proximity? My lot got dumped out on Sunday night by the Steelers. Yes. Let's talk Gridiron. It beats listening to Evertonians wanting us to lose tomorrow.....
James Elworthy
32   Posted 28/01/2011 at 20:19:35

Liverpool sign Suarez for 25m and we sign Apostolos Vellios for 250k, marvellous
Karl Masters
33   Posted 28/01/2011 at 20:25:19

Suarez in fior £25m, Torres out in the Summer for £40m. Watch this space! :)
Brian Waring
34   Posted 28/01/2011 at 20:41:16

So, we send one 19 year old out on loan, and replace him with another 19 year old??? At least he'll be able to keep Silva company in the reserves.

Signed from Hercules for a rumoured £300,000, scored 4 goals in 22 games, in a piss poor league, got to have been bought for the future.

Kieran Kinsella
35   Posted 28/01/2011 at 20:58:26

Hopefully he's as good as Lukas Jutkieweicz, Turner, Vidarsson etc.
Paul McGinty
36   Posted 28/01/2011 at 20:51:58

Mike ..check out this link

If the NFL was just forming now given the amount of TV and merchandizing cash around in todays world maybe the owners might not have voted to revenue share TV and Merchandizing equally. But way back then thats what was agreed and thats why the big population areas like New York split the money equally with Green Bay Wisconsin.
There is some pressure to end or at least reduce the scope of sharing..if it does then look to see the NY Giants, NY Jets, Dallas Cowboys and other big market teams year in year out competing for the major prize.
Sounds familiar ..there is no competitive balance in the Premier League because the haves are simply not going to share with the have nots.
Col Noon
37   Posted 28/01/2011 at 20:59:24

Anichebe is doubtful? ...only doubtful?
Thats a shame. Get your teeth into these stats : Dirk Kuyt has scored moe goals at Goodison than our very own Emile Heskey - "BIG BAD VIC". But with a new contract to boot I am sure he will become the 20 goal a season striker we crave.. Lord help us!!
Gavin Ramejkis
38   Posted 28/01/2011 at 22:11:59

Where's Doddy after his we will sign someone before the deadline and my bet they will be a bullshit signing going nowhere near the first squad as they would have to pretty amazing to replace the five or so we have lost.
Kieran Kinsella
39   Posted 28/01/2011 at 23:27:18

"Doddy" is probably out with his girlfriend Jenny Seagrove.
Mike Green
40   Posted 28/01/2011 at 23:37:10

Very droll..
Tom Winek
41   Posted 29/01/2011 at 08:44:01

Karl - Ouch! Why would I lie about coming from Kent? I don't really want us to lose but winning won't change a thing and won't masquerade our decline in my opinion. Is that alright by you?
Martin Mason
42   Posted 29/01/2011 at 10:15:58

I want Everton to win more than anything then to have a good run in the league but I have a feeling that we will lose. It really does feel like the end game.
Karl Masters
43   Posted 29/01/2011 at 10:30:27

Tom. I 'm sure you do come from Kent. I only said apparently as it's in faint print at the end of your posting.

You are entitled to your opinion, but to come on here bleating on about how depressed you are before the match has even begun is pathetic.

I'll be interested to read your opinions and an update on your mental state should we happen to win. Somehow, I doubt you'll be as depressed and I won't have to have the dent removed from the bonnet of my car!

For God's sake, Cheer up! Negativity is usually a self fulfilling prophecy isn't it?