Spurs Result

Just watched Spurs dismantled by Fulham ? Old kebab face getting interviewed afterwards was moaning about the lack of defenders they have ? down to their last five apparently.

I wonder if the Neville move will go through tonight or tomorrow....
John Reid, Manchester     Posted 30/01/2011 at 19:32:21

Comments

Ian Tunstead
1   Posted 30/01/2011 at 20:52:37

It was good to see their midfield destroyed by the likes of Simon Davis, Danny Murphy and Greening. Osman would fit right in with that lot.
Glen Anderson
2   Posted 30/01/2011 at 20:54:53

How did Pienaar do? He was supposedly joining because of their ambition...
Christopher McCullough
3   Posted 30/01/2011 at 20:53:23

Phil Neville isn't going anywhere. He's already got his man.

Just as a general comment: I'm one who believes Everton are better with Neville in the team, as counter-intuitive as at that opinion may seem.
Peter Dry
4   Posted 30/01/2011 at 20:50:12

I've noticed a lot people poking fun at the appearance of Harry Redknapp's face on here. I'm sure he was involved in a bad car accident years ago which affected his face. I may be way off the mark but it just seems unnecessary. I'd have him in a heartbeat as manager of Everton by the way. Hopefully the first thing he would do would be to throw all of Moyes' and Round's coaching manuals in the bin and just apply common sense and his vast experience of the game.

As for Neville, I've never been his biggest fan but if Redknapp sees something in him, maybe I'm wrong.
Jon Beck
5   Posted 30/01/2011 at 21:04:29

He was indeed in a near fatal car crash in Spain whilst Bournemouth Manager, Peter. The Bournemouth Chairman died in the same crash. The crash destroyed the nerves in his face apparently. Still won't stop the unthinking abusing him though.
Ian McDowell
6   Posted 30/01/2011 at 21:09:38

I have never understood the abuse Redknapp gets on here. I hope Neville will stay and I am sure he will.
Christopher McCullough
7   Posted 30/01/2011 at 21:07:38

He deserves abuse for his dodgy dealing and pseudo-genuine comments about other team's players, rather than his face.
Glen Anderson
8   Posted 30/01/2011 at 21:09:38

Peter (No 4) - I've always thought that Redknapp is only as good as the cash that he is permitted to splash. Seems to me that he does have a good eye in the transfer market and likes to play attacking football with wingers but, if he were Everton manager, do you really think he could do that job with zero cash from Kenwright?
Luke Berry
9   Posted 30/01/2011 at 21:16:45

Found this and thought it was hilarious. Sums up 'the lion from the wizard of Oz' completely.
Following injury to keeper Heurelho Gomes Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has publicly declared his interest in every player in the world during a marathon 27 hour press conference on Monday night that left four journalists in critical condition and two dead.

Redknapp, former manager of bankrupt Portsmouth, who literally don?t have two brass pennies to rub together, stated that:-

?Our squad is looking a little thin, we?re down to the bare bones ? especially in Midfield. I keep saying to the Chairman that if we want to compete with the big boys we?re going have to get the facking cheque book out. Are there players out there who catch my eye? Course there are you nonce! My squad is thinner than Kate Moss after crash landing in the desert. Like a bleedin? twiglet!?

The Tottenham supremo then outlined ambitious plans to reinforce his defence, midfield, forward line, back room staff and to purchase an industrial strength bench the size of the Titanic which would stretch half of the White Hart Lane pitch.

?We?re quite interested in Klass Jans Huntlear, Ashley Young, Wesley Snejider, David James, Rafael Van Der Varrt, Patrick Vieira, Cristiano Ronaldo, John Terry, Carlos Tevez, Kaka, Ryan Shawcross, Nani, Gilberto ? not the waster we ?ave ? the ather one, that Benzema geezer, anyone who West Ham want, Victor Valdes, anyone in the Championship who is good on Football Manager, Clint Dempsey?..?

?It got dull pretty quickly,? stated David Hampton, writer for the Observer, ?at first we all chuckled but after 16 minutes we realised he was deadly serious. There was a dead look behind his eyes. He just kept reading out names one after the other in a consistent, monotonous voice, like a horrid, lopsided metronome foretelling our doom, only stopping to catch his breath and to say ?but obviously this is between us lads? and then surreptitiously winking at us, although he might not have been winking, it?s hard to tell sometimes?.?

Things went from bad to worse for the beleaguered journalists, as Redknapp showed no signs of stopping, continuing to name every player in the Premiership, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and all four Swedish divisions.

?Something seemed to go wrong in the fifth hour,? explained acclaimed sports correspondent Matty Lister, representing the Daily Mail, ?suddenly he started dropping Ashley Young?s name in after every third player or so, as if he was hypnotising us to believe he?d leave Aston Villa for them, it was too much for two guys from the Evening Standard, they fell to the floor and started shaking, they later died of a brain hemorrhage?..?

It was then that the news hounds realised they had to act, texting, emailing, skype-ing and tweet-ing desperately for help as more of their number perished in this senseless act of excess.

It was only after police officers attempted to talk Redknapp down that things got worse. As trained negotiators failed to convince Redknapp that Ashley Young wouldn?t leave Villa for a team that finished lower than them.

?He just kept saying Ashley Young over and over and over again,? said Detective Inspector Roberts of the Flying Squad, ?eventually he stopped but then said he wanted Everton?s Mikel Arteta and Glen Johnson. We knew at this point he would not be reasoned with so we responded with rubber bullets, which unfortunately bounced off his rubber face, so we used stun guns on him instead?? ?

?It smelt of burning plastic.? Said David Hampton.

Copyright 2009 Crab Football.
Genius.
Ian Tunstead
10   Posted 30/01/2011 at 21:15:06

Harry Redknapp is one of the last managers I would have in charge of Everton. All Harry does is copy Moyes's homework when it comes to bringing in players. He is a disgrace to football.

To go from Portsmouth to Southampton and back. I think it was when at Portsmouth he said something along the lines. "I wouldn't leave the club, I couldn't leave these players I have brought here." Then he was gone in a matter of weeks. Then turned down the Newcastle job with another bullshit story and then was at Spurs within a few weeks. He's full of shit.
Tim Spring
11   Posted 30/01/2011 at 21:17:19

I don't like Redknapp, something doesn't fit right with his transfer dealings. I'm sure I heard somewhere that he used to bet on the first throw-in when at Bournemouth and would get his team to kick the ball out straight from kick off. People cottoned on and they switched from the team winning the toss and choosing to kick off, to choosing what end to kick towards instead! I might be wrong, but as it adds to my dislike of him I am going to choose to believe it!
Rob Murphy
12   Posted 30/01/2011 at 21:19:57

Redknapp is an example of all that's wrong in football. For anyone who'd take him at Everton, see Tom Bower's brilliant book 'Broken Dreams' which has a chapter dedicated to Redknapp and his 'good eye in the transfer market.' The man is a fucking crook and who should be moaning about the slop 'n' shit he's being served in jail ? not moaning about a lack of defenders.
Dave Lynch
13   Posted 30/01/2011 at 21:22:06

Redknapp is a snake of the highest order. Here's how he conducts buisness:

Get's someone to leak to the press that he has enquired about a player.
Denies it when asked by the press but states, if the player was available, he would be interested.
Therefore unsettling the player and alerting said players agent to the possibility of a pay day.
Agent approaches player and the wheels are set in motion.

He is a bung-taking dishonest twat of the highest order.
Cathal Naughton
14   Posted 30/01/2011 at 21:35:50

I have great difficulty listening to the man in interviews. He seems to be lacking integrity in his transfer dealings. He deluded the boardrooms at Saints and Pompey and both clubs went bust.

I'd take Moyes any given Saturday ahead of that guy.

Mark Wayman
15   Posted 30/01/2011 at 21:47:09

Redknapp has a history of leaving his clubs in financial difficulty as well.

He brings in a lot of players for millions, then often lets them go in a year or so ? again for millions. I found out some time ago that it wasn't illegal for a manager to make money off selling players, and have suspected this is what he is up to.

Didn't he complain about lack of players last year, and it was reported that Spurs had 18 (correct me if I'm wrong) players out on loan!

Personal comments about his appearance ? especially considering the circumstances ? are uncalled for.
John Daley
16   Posted 30/01/2011 at 21:54:25

"I've noticed a lot people poking fun at the appearance of Harry Redknapp's face on here."

Favourite line of the day!
Colin Malone
17   Posted 30/01/2011 at 22:04:28

Luke Berry. Excellent, still laughing.
Thomas Williams
18   Posted 30/01/2011 at 22:14:46

Anybody else put 2+2 together yesterday?
Phil Neville out and brother Gary in?? Just me???
Steve Green
19   Posted 30/01/2011 at 22:03:07

I had to leave the hometown and have lived and socialised in or near to Bournemouth since 1989. Whilst mad blue, I am a keen football fan so took an interest in Bournemouth 22 years ago. In fact, my 15-year-old son was born there and I dropped him off there this very afternoon following him spending the weekend with me ? took him to the Saints v Man Utd game for my sins... I've been a fucking bad boy, eh!

As a result of the opinions I formed about him as a "manager" at Bournemouth in the late 80s / early 90s, I have followed his career with interest ever since. In fact, the guys in work may be well sick of my opinion by now but I think the penny has dropped with them and I have a bit of credence as a result ? at last. One look at the players Bournemouth sold in that period can only lead to one conclusion given subsequent events at Dean Park.

A few earlier postings on this thread have been on the money with this. Other clubs have subsequently experienced the same issues ? post his departure, of course.

Meanwhile, down in sunny Sandbanks, at the 3rd highest real estate property area in the world, all is well my friends, all is well.

Oh, and just as a final thought, where did Tottenham manage to get £35m for that Athletico Madrid bid from? Trust me, Mike Walker is the better option ? even now!

Colin Malone
20   Posted 30/01/2011 at 22:11:03

Is Harry going to do a David O'Leary [Leeds] at Spurs as he did at Portsmouth? I fucking hope so... bent bastard.
Leon Perrin
21   Posted 30/01/2011 at 22:14:51

Yeah 'arry's a slippery twat, not like our Davey ? straight as a die. For fuck's sake he's Kenwright's biggest ally, Fergie's appointed successor.... no self-interest there.

Some of you need to grow up: football is full of spivs and sharks ? always has been; at least 'Arry knows how to use them and gets good players. He suffered for years as being unfashionable never considered for any of the big clubs but still played attacking football; now he's at Spurs and immediately they're lightyears ahead of us.

One thing's for sure: give him 9 years and he'll have more than a 4th place to crow about.

Mike Green
22   Posted 30/01/2011 at 22:40:20

Correct Colin. He's a crook ? all day long.

Steve ? (nice to see another Green posting by the way), not sure I got the gist of your post...??
Steve Green
23   Posted 30/01/2011 at 22:55:19

Read between the lines, cousin... read between the lines.
David Hallwood
24   Posted 30/01/2011 at 23:06:08

I've just been on a Spurs website and guess what they're slaughtering... Awwyy. Just goes to show all football fans are the same.
Ian Tunstead
25   Posted 30/01/2011 at 23:01:23

Leon,

Moyes took over an ageing squad fighting relegation every season. Harry took over a talented squad with lots of potential but on a bad run of form. They were a top 6 side for the most part under Martin Jol. Harry came in and spent millions more to improve them further. I wouldnt say they were light years a head either.
Peter Dry
26   Posted 30/01/2011 at 23:01:10

Glen, I think he'd get more out of the squad of players we have than Moyes has or will. He seems to have more tactical nous than Moyes and the ability to make changes, sometimes imperceptible, that win games. No doubt there would be players he would want to bring in and if he were allowed to break our transfer record four times maybe he could get them players. Obviously this may mean some wheeling and dealing but Harry seems good at this.

When we were trying to sign Dave Watson, Norwich were adamant that he was going nowhere. Kendall told Watson to go on strike and when he was close to putting pen to paper it was very close to the deadline so Kendall altered the clock in the room where they were signing, enabling the signing to go through. Watson signed and we went on to win the league. So Kendall didn't exactly show integrity or do things by the book, maybe Redknapp doesn't at times.

As for him being a crook, this just seems to be confabulation and innuendo although i haven't read the book mentioned above. Even if he is, so what? I'd have Jack the Ripper or Dick Turpin as manager as long as they played some attacking football and won some games.
Andy Smith
27   Posted 31/01/2011 at 01:14:57

(Glen No 2) Taken from Spursweb player ratings v Fulham:

"Pienaar 3 ? Poor game ? tried too many first-time flicks and passes, which didn?t really come off. I?d have taken him off for Gallas, and I was very surprised that he was kept on for the full 90."

Nuff said.
Tony Waring
28   Posted 31/01/2011 at 09:45:14

Can't understand why so many people think he's a brilliant manager. Apart from leaving clubs in financial disarray if he's so tactically aware how come we ? with a tactically naive manager, as some would have us believe ? wiped the floor with Spurs? Oh and what about the Premier League pacemakers Fulham (tongue in cheek) who wiped the floor with them yesterday? He's no better than DM and he's got a hell of a lot more cash to pay with.
Tony Waring
29   Posted 31/01/2011 at 09:48:08

Forgot to mention that he can have Phil Neville (reluctantly) as long as we can have Van der Wonderfart in exchange.
Matthew Mackey
30   Posted 31/01/2011 at 09:58:08

I have no problem with 'Appy Arrys appearance. If he sustained facial injuries during a car crash in Spain some years ago then I feel sorry for him. But that does NOT excuse him from some of the dealings and antics he has shown in the transfer market.

In particular the way he stole Kyle Naughton from us a couple of seasons ago. Has everyone forgotten about that? Moyes tracked Naughton for a long time, did his homework, put the effort into going and seeing him play and then made a move. The club (Sheff Utd) and the player agreed a deal, Naughton even came to Finch Farm and had a medical only for Redknapp to then shit all over Moyes and Everton because he had a bigger cheque book. Unforgivable. I doubt there would have been any other managers who would hijack a deal like Redknapp did with Kyle Naughton.

Funny how Naughton has now just disappeared into obscurity once more. Redknapp never had his best intentions at heart. I'd never trust that bloke again.

Oliver Molloy
31   Posted 31/01/2011 at 10:41:53

I don't like him, he is a spin doctor, knows how to unsettle players and his son talks a load of crap too!
Max Fine
32   Posted 31/01/2011 at 11:54:54

In a team that "plays it safe" 90% of the time, as has been Moyes ethos at Everton, Pienaar's willingness to "have a go" made him a hero with the fans. Despite 50% of his passes and 90% of his shots being poor, it was nice to see his attacking intent.

Spurs certainly don't play safe. And in a system where all the players want to get forward, shoot, and pass with pace, Pienaar will be shown to be what he was in the Dutch and German leagues; just a fairly average footballer with a little bit of skill but without the pace and a truly world-class touch to make him a great player.

We'll still miss his work-rate and his defending, but the real reason nobody bid £8-9million for him in the summer is because he's not really worth it. And the real reason that he didn't get his wage demands on our infamous tight budget is that he's not really worth them.

I wish him well, but I think there's going to be a distinct lack of love for him down at White Hart Lane. I hope he enjoyed his FA Cup game, as I've a feeling domestic cup matches might become his specialty.
Robert Johnson
33   Posted 31/01/2011 at 12:07:02

In June 1990, whilst watching the World Cup in Italy, Redknapp was involved in a car crash with Bournemouth's managing director Brian Tiler, who died along with four other people. Though Redknapp made a full recovery (apart from being permanently without a sense of smell), he eventually quit Bournemouth at the end of the 1991-92 season.
Eugene Ruane
34   Posted 31/01/2011 at 11:59:13

Richard Keys: - "Er...yeah THAT'S what I meant when I said 'Redknapp, you smashed it', I was talking about the car.

Same goes for 'bet Redknapp was hanging out the back of it' - the back of THE CAR after the crash!

Some people are just looking for trouble, it's political correctness gone..(sees young girl standing at bus-stop)..SMASH IT!!"

(morphs into Cosmo Smallpiece, yells "Knickers, knackers, knockers)
Brian Waring
35   Posted 31/01/2011 at 15:50:07

Hang on, when we went for Beckford at Leeds, they were far from happy about it, because it unsettled the player? Also, weren't we involved in a deal involving one of the young lads at Leeds, and I think it was Bates who was set on reporting us to the fa because of the way we went about it?
Rob Murphy
36   Posted 31/01/2011 at 17:10:10

Pienaar was all foreplay & no sex, all fur coat & no knickers.
Trevor Lynes
37   Posted 31/01/2011 at 18:59:00

The 'good' reasons for signing new players is to freshen up the squad and hopefully benefit the team as a whole.....I am really sorry that loans were ever legalised as it gives the likes of BK a way of reducing the payroll.....Its stupid to give the so called better players inflated salaries as it unsettles the others and the only way we seem able to pay for players like Arteta, Heitinga and Cahill is by upsetting other players eg; Pienaar (who did a great job for us and always tried his best).....it now seems that the only course open to us to continue to pay these 'STAR' players is to loan out all and sundry to compensate.
I would suggest wage cuts for the board members and DM and to also stop the pre-season jaunts to Oz and the USA...they are all useless !!
Our start of the season slump has not yet been rectified and if we draw every game it will not save us from a relegation battle.
Other bottom of the league clubs are at least trying to put things right by getting in some fresh blood but we continue to trot out the same faces and the same old tactics.
Jon Cox
38   Posted 31/01/2011 at 19:37:06

Halory Redknek says to Steven Pornaar, "either your signiture's on that contract or your brains will be"

It was just an offer he couldn't refuse.