Ambition

Just thought I would try and see if everyone reading the TW message boards feels the same apathy as me.

Liverpool might well be losing a world class striker and gaining a decent striker and a young wannabe striker but at least it fires up the excitement in the bellies of their supporters. I am not saying that they will come out of this any better off but at least they are giving their fans something to debate and the young fans around the country more reason to ask for a Liverpool top each year.

On the other hand, we are drifting into surviving just below the half-way in the league, happy to get 'amazing draws' at Anfield, buying no-one, selling or loaning out our players... In fact, generally pissing off our fans as we show absolutely no ambition to improve. Before some of you say that we are better not taking players in January, then we should not be losing players in January.

For God's sake, give us the fans something to dream about. Don't take our ambition away to the point where people on here are deciding whether or not to give up their season tickets. Young fans are looking enviously over at the other lot who are proactive... we risk losing a generation of fans if we don't turn this fucking ship around.

Show some ambition and back the club. If you can't then tell us the facts... tell us we are broke... and sell the thing while there is a club to sell. Give us a fucking reason to turn up every week.

Rant over...
Steve Cotton, Liverpool     Posted 31/01/2011 at 19:13:52

Comments

Brian Garside
1   Posted 31/01/2011 at 22:41:26

With just over three hours to go befor the closing of the transfer window, I was wondering if it was a case of lights out and everybody gone home at Goodison or is it a place of feverish activity?
Andrew Lawrenson
2   Posted 31/01/2011 at 22:44:28

There are just two transfer windows during a calender year... can you imagine how we would all be feeling if it was open transfer market like the old days???

As I write this at teatime on Deadline Day, I actually wish they would only have one transfer window starting from the day the season finishes to one month before it starts... Bollocks to players' holidays, managers' holidays and whatever else like World Cups.

I have had a shit January hoping against hope that we would sign someone... we know that Bungling Bill will come out tomorrow and tell us they put in huge bids for Torres, Carroll, Drogba, and even Messi... He has history/form for that trick...

Dan Morris
3   Posted 31/01/2011 at 23:15:18

21:39 and the official website decides to announce that we've signed Greek youth player. I thought this was agreed a couple of days ago, or do I know more about the club than the official site do?

Anyway, as with many folk on here, I have spent the day hopefully watching the transfer updates on the BBC. Even convinced myself that Chris Eagles would be an exciting acquisition. How naive us Evertonians are to think that something might pop up in the final few hours.

Anyway, I feel extremely insulted by the club announcing the Greek deal 80 minutes before the end of the window ? almost as if to make us feel that we've got ourselves a catch, a silver lining and all that?!

I read this site daily, have done for years, but this is the first time I've ever felt so annoyed with the club ? something is definitely wrong with our current situation. Personally I blame the board, the way the club is run, not Moyes. I'd be raging if I were him right now, embarrassed too ? what a state we're in.

Jamie Sweet
4   Posted 31/01/2011 at 23:11:19

What a complete joke our football club has become! I apologise for my language but I'm fucking hacked off beyond belief.

We just signed another fucking player "for the future". Look at the fucking league table - we don't need a striker for the future, we need a striker NOW for the RELEGATION BATTLE we are in.

We already have some strikers for the future - and we've just loaned them out for christ sake. Do we really need another one?! What the fuck is going on?!!

Because of our gobshite of a chairman - who is nowhere to be seen, the prick - we are in danger of not having a future... yes it is that serious.

Fucking shambles!!!!!
David Cornmell
5   Posted 31/01/2011 at 23:54:54

Nice one Steve Cotton. You've articulated everything I feel, perfectly.
Jim Lloyd
6   Posted 01/02/2011 at 00:03:28

Arrgh! Feck, feck, feck and fecking hell. Well, there's our ambition for all to see. Not a fucking shred of it! Sorry about the language but I was hoping against hope that we might have brought in one or two players that would have livened up our team and given us all a bit of hope.

No chance!!! we are down to the bare bones and we will have to hope to god that we don't get any injuries.

Top Four??? My feckin arse. That what was being spouted at the beginning of the season. What a feckin sad joke. While othjer clubs continue to progresss, we're going backwards.

Can't we feckin well do the uinthinkable and call for the present bunch of shysters to fuck off from our club? Otherwise we are fecked.

Trevor Lynes
7   Posted 01/02/2011 at 00:22:52

I have never read so many articles from sad and broken hearted fans as today... The only way BK will be stirred is if we all stay away for one match. He obviously does not respect us and the only way we can genuinely attract media reaction is by staying away as BK needs 'BUMS ON SEATS'

So long as we just write articles and we manage to scrape through games by effort, he will do NOTHING. DM is obviously frustrated and unhappy but he will not resign as it will cost him money and BK cannot afford to sack him and that's quite obvious.

Eugene Ruane
8   Posted 01/02/2011 at 02:35:15

I believe financially we are horribly goosed right now.

Not buying anyone doesn't particularly bother me.

What DOES worry the shite out of me, is not buying/loaning anyone, YET loaning Yak to Liecester.

Yeah he's fat lazy etc blah, but he cost us millions and IS (when he's happy and in the mood) a proven goalscorer.

His loan was the move that suggested to me that we must have financial problems of genuinely disturbing levels and that the team and results will be taking second place to 'balancing' the books.

Believe me, I'm no massive fan of Yakubu, but certainly from a football point of view, the loan makes no sense at all.

Mark Stone
9   Posted 01/02/2011 at 10:36:54

"I am not saying that they will come out of this any better off but at least they are giving their fans something to debate."

I am from a completely different school of football supporting from you. Unless it makes us better I'm not interested. Not passing judgement ? nor am I saying that I am contented with the squad or with the lack of investment ? just clarifying a difference of opinion.
David Booth
10   Posted 01/02/2011 at 12:59:10

I'm a habitual glass-half-full person, but our situation concerns me greatly.

Yobo, Yakubu, Vaughan out on loan, Pienaar sold... and those that remain under-performing as a team. These are worrying times.

And this continual ? if refreshingly honest ? 'we haven't any money to spend' stance is becoming increasingly worrying.

To make it worse, while our loveable neighbours bring-in two cracking buys with Suarez and Carroll, we just sit and watch our squad disintegrate.

I do not want some anonymous 'foreign' meglomaniac to scoop us up as a plaything ? but what does the future hold?

The Everton I support is one of the biggest and most successful clubs in the country. Has that ideal disappeared forever?

David Moyes has done a fantastic job bulding such an enviable squad, but we clearly need something to help make us genuine contenders again.

Because let's face it, if we lose to Chelsea in the replay (and thankfully I believe we are more than capable of beating them), our season is over.

Europe is still a possibility, mathematically, but now Villa (thanks to Bent) and the Gobshites are further obstacles in our path ? never mind those already well ahead of us.

And even if we have to write this season of such high-expectation off, where do we go from here?

Can we see any improvement come the next transfer window? I can't.
Michael Brien
11   Posted 01/02/2011 at 13:23:37

David Booth 10# ? "One expects Chelsea and Man City to dominate the market, but we're not even players any more." Have you been on a different planet or something? When was the last time that we were able to compete very top end of the transfer market? It's been a good few years. I can recall Walter Smith (the much maligned Walter Smith) signing David Weir and Scot Gemmil for cut price fees ? around £250,000, when it was clear that his transfer budget was all but gone.

So Liverpool have signed Carrol? Do you think he is worth £35M? When we paid a record fee for Bob Latchford back in 1974, at least he had had a season and a half of top flight football with Birmingham City, following their promotion and he showed that he could score goals at the highhest level. Yes Carrol has had a good first season, but he is hardly the finished article is he? It could go either way. Realistically it is a big gamble for Liverpool. They knew they would lose Torres ? they had very little time to bring in a replacement ? it could also be seen to be something of a panic move.

So we didn't splash the cash, but not too many clubs did. Just because you spend loads of money it doesn't guarantee success. Ask any Evertonian who can remember the early 1970s. We spent far more money than Liverpool during that era yet it was they who had the success with a squad that included bargain signings from the lower divisions such as Keegan and Clemence.

How much money have Liverpool spent in the last few years? They have been amongst the highest spending clubs in the country ? yet they have come no closer to winning the title.

Yesterday's spending spree attracted headlines on front and back pages. We are living in a time of austerity, yet you would be hard pressed to think that Football belongs to that world. However, sooner or later, reality will set in. Yes, I would like to see us sign players ? but I would rather not see us become part of the madness that was taking place yesterday. It can't last and the economics of the real world rather than the fantasy world that these mega rich clubs exist in will take over.
David Booth
12   Posted 01/02/2011 at 16:20:05

Michael, I agree entirely with what you say, although I disagree slightly that we have been 'paupers' for as long as you suggest.

I am 100 per cent behind us treading water whilst others throw themselves in at the deep end - but concerned that we have signed no-one when we clearly have a need for some sort of mid-season influx?

Tony Waring
13   Posted 01/02/2011 at 16:37:49

I don't believe Carroll is a good signing. He likes the high life too much by all accounts and he'll get plenty of opportunity in Liverpool.
David Booth
14   Posted 01/02/2011 at 17:07:58

It's no so much whether Carroll is worth £35m either (and personally I think he's a great prospect - another Duncan Ferguson in the making).

Instead it's about the fact that the Gobshites have acted immediately to a need to replace Torres, by signing both him and another favourite of mine, Suarez.

I know that £50m from the sale of Torres helped, but it's their proactivity - compared to our inactivity - that is the basis of my concern.

We couldn't even attract (or afford?), Chris Eagles for goodness' sake!
Andy Callan
15   Posted 02/02/2011 at 09:44:38

Agreed - all hope has gone. I have got no movitation to go the game anymore, even being a season ticket holder.

I just can't be fuckin' arsed puttin' the effort in coz I get FUCK all back.

We'll NEVER win anything EVER again, so what the fuck is the point in wasting our cash.

We should all stop goin' and show our displeasure that way.....