Members:   Log In Sign Up

We Go With What We've Got

We are skint. You know it. I know it. Kenwright knows it. Moyes knows it. The players know it. And now the rest of the Premier League know it (if they didn?t know it already). I think even my old man?s dog knows it.

We are firmly sat eating from the table of the have-nots whilst the usual four of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and now Man City and even fucking Spurs wallow around in oodles and oodles of cash, at a table far, far away from ours.

When you look at the paucity of our squad, my reaction to the loans we?ve agreed was one of bemusement to say the least. However, we are clearly so skint Moyes must?ve been told ?If they?re not good enough for the first team, send them out for experience / regain their form and save some money on the wage bill?. Fair enough. We are skint after all.

Injuries aside (and I know that?s a massive aside) we have the players in a very small, tight squad, to perform in our remaining two competitions though. It is simply a case of them pulling up their socks and performing from now until the end of the season.

On their day our first eleven?s pretty much is as good as any in the league and have proven so by getting results against the clubs I mention above.

Players such as Baines, Distin, Fellaini, Coleman and Cahill have been fantastic this season, it's just a case of Saha, Beckford, Bily, Rodwell and above all Mikel Arteta to step up to the plate and start performing to the best of their ability. Week-in, week-out. It is also Moyes?s responsibility to play them to their strengths and in position.

That?s it for the next 4 months though, like it or not. The boys are just going to have to dig us and them out of it, on a wing and a prayer that we don?t suffer some serious injuries.

In the meantime, Bill, enough does seem to be enough. If you and your mates can only take the club backwards, it's time to find the right person to take it forwards before it?s too late. We are drowning. Time to chuck the Life Ring in to see if anyone?s holding the other end.

Mike Green, High Wycombe     Posted 01/02/2011 at 12:41:45

Comments

Paul Olsen
1   Posted 01/02/2011 at 13:41:48

Well written and for a first on ToffeeWeb, I agree with everything you say here.
Lee Mandaracas
2   Posted 01/02/2011 at 13:59:24

Amen!

The only omission (and it is a nightmarishly scary one) is that of fatigue. As the season draws to a close our wafer-thin squad will really start to feel it. Increased fatigue means greater risk of injury, thus compounding the issue immeasurably (see the FA Cup final of 2009 for evidence of this.)

Let's just hope we can drag ourselves over the line of this season safely (bang goes my expectation of top 6 and hope of top 4 before it all started back in August). The only question is, assuming and praying we are safe by the end of this season, what the Hell do we do for 2011-12 onwards???
Anthony Hughes
3   Posted 01/02/2011 at 14:14:59

A good question, Lee: What does happen next? I think we can scramble through this season and maintain our Premier League status but what will happen to this squad during the summer?
Marc Williams
4   Posted 01/02/2011 at 14:11:31

It's a shame we didn't take our chance on Saturday as Chelski are going to be a lot stronger now & I guess we'll be 'concentrating on the league' soon enough. You're right of course, we are where we are & we probably have the squad to survive until the summer... but what then ?
Mark Murphy
5   Posted 01/02/2011 at 14:27:07

Hmm... I've been repeating the "our best eleven is a match for anyones" mantra for so long now I can't believe we haven't won the league already! Maybe, just maybe, our first eleven isn't as good as we think?

Yesterday could have been much worse ? the big clubs could have raided us for our superstars. But they didn't... Maybe there's a reason for that? Maybe they are not as super as we think?

Sorry but I'm getting thoroughly disenchanted by the whole fuckin debacle that this season has become.

Anthony Jaras
6   Posted 01/02/2011 at 14:34:17

Chelsea won't 'be a lot stronger' mate, Torres is cup tied, isn't he?
Paul Dalton
7   Posted 01/02/2011 at 14:42:34

Don't usually post but well said Mike!

Let's just get this season over and worry about the impending dome that is next season without proper investment in place in the summer.
Roberto Birquet
8   Posted 01/02/2011 at 15:09:12

Mark
Maybe, just maybe, our first eleven isnt as good as we think?
-----------------
what is our strike force in this first 11? Does it include Saha? who is injured half the time?

Does it include a player recently brought up from the third division who, for even optimists, will need time?

If not, what is our first 11 strike force? 'cos I'm lost. First 11 as good as anyone? We almost have no strikers, and we have just released two in the past freakin' fortnight!

What a useless press. Any journo worth his wage packet would be seeking to uncover whether Everton Football Club ? a once mighty name ? is on the edge of a precipice.

I am talking insolvency. I see no other reason to explain the past two weeks, and that hideous look of doom etched onto D Moyes's face on Sky yesterday.
Ian Bonnette
9   Posted 01/02/2011 at 15:16:17

Just heard on Talk Sport that 'appy arry' wanted Neville on the never never, offering to pay us in £250k installments...

Does this guy just do this to wind people up? The cheek of him..
James Marshall
10   Posted 01/02/2011 at 15:30:12

I was speaking to a Chelsea fan this morning who said that the replay will be played during/near an International break and that loads of their players will be away - not confirmed or verified but wouldn't half be handy.

Personally I reckon it'll be 1-1 as it so often is and then we'll lose on penalties.

It's great to see the Ladyboy off to Chelsea though ? I don't care how strong it makes them as we don't have a squad worthy of competing at the top table anyway, but it was funny to see him leave the RS. I just hope the overated, new Big Dunc they bought turns out to be the lemon I reckon he is. Shame they bought Suarez though cos that kid can finish.
Alex Robinson
11   Posted 01/02/2011 at 15:37:06

We shall fight them on the beaches...

Very Churchillian-style post there Mike, and I can't diagree with any of it. As you say, certain players need to up their game and, to be fair, some of those you mention have. Saha got the goal on Saturday, and Arteta looked a bit more "with it", although still far from his best.

The one with the most to gain though is Bily. Pienaar's now gone, and he's the obvious replacement (sorry Osman lovers, but it's true). He'll never get a better chance to show what he can do in blue, plus he's already gone on record saying he's been frustrated by the lack of chances since his move. If he can improve his tracking back (which he did show evidence of in the Chelsea game), get a good understanding with Baines, and unleash the odd 20-yard Howitzer, he'll be grand.

Over to you Diniyar...

Mike Hughes
12   Posted 01/02/2011 at 15:54:07

I agree with your post and have made comments elsewhere that we're not getting the best out of what we've got. It's good enough for top half potentially.

My conclusion from reading your post though was that it focuses on survival this season / remaining in the Premiership which I agree is our immediate priority goal.

Once that is achieved, the more pressing and chronic issue of long term survival / direction / vision still needs to be addressed.

At the moment, if EFC were to adopt a new song / anthem, it would have to be "Alabama" by Neil Young - especially the last line, "What's going wrong?" I think NY wrote it with Everton in mind.
Robert Elliott
13   Posted 01/02/2011 at 15:48:47

Mike, a lot of good points made. Perhaps a bit of perspective is needed. We still have a group of around 14-15 players who we can expect good performances from and if, and I know it's a big IF, they can stay fit and regain a bit of form, we should still be looking at the top half of the table by the end.

The reason I think everyone is depressed is because we almost, almost appeared to be on the verge of something big a few years ago and now that optimism has gone. Failure to beat teams we should be burying at Goodison, a key player leaving and not being replaced, rumours of administration, Moyes looking even more miserable than usual, and it all builds up.

Our financial situation can only be improved by a change of ownership, we all know that, but nobody can predict when and if that will happen. I've done my own head in worrying about it, praying that from somewhere a billionaire, or at least someone who can relieve our debts, will appear. Last night was thoroughly miserable watching our nearest and dearest and Chelsea splashing it like there's no tomorrow whilst we brought in a kid for two hundred grand, but we've seen days like that before and we've still been able to go out and get good results on the pitch.

Our best team is still a good team, as we proved on Saturday and so lets hope for a good result tonight, another one on Saturday and then we can worry about what happens next in the summer.

Mark Griffiths
14   Posted 01/02/2011 at 16:28:06

That's the thing though, our best team has got us 5 wins from 23 games and a few points off relagation.

The only difference now being that we have less players, with the loanees out.

I always try to hope for the best and if I was to bet on it, I would say we will stay up this season.

However, the near future does look bad and this summer could be a huge moment in the history of EFC, because there could be an escalation of events that could make this last few days seem like winning the Champions League!

Lerts hope not ehh!
Neil Millichip
15   Posted 01/02/2011 at 16:31:29

A great post, Mike, I agree with everything you say. My big concern is that, without money for signings and some sort of meaningful financial backing, our players will soon be off.

I remember the great team of the 80s and how it was torn to shreds to pay off the clubs debts. I can't help feeling this is deja vu. David Moyes's body language said it all in his interview yesterday... Worrying times if Bill Kenwright stays.

Guy Wilkinson
16   Posted 01/02/2011 at 16:54:56

Good post. I fear the impact of our skintness on our better players. They will realise that the clubs ambition is way short of their own.
Gerry Quinn
17   Posted 01/02/2011 at 16:50:21

Mike #12 - "Alabama, Neil Young" - hah - more like "Where do we go from here? Alicia Keys".
I've been really fed up and frustrated with our performances since the start of the season - and now, I seem to have just got fed up and frustrated with some of the knee-jerk reactions, particularly the abusive ones, on here. Your article is a good one, Mike G, sensible and level-headed.
Mark Wayman
18   Posted 01/02/2011 at 17:44:39

"What's going on?" by Marvin Gaye would be a suitable song.

Can't argue with the original post, we have what we have, whether we like it or not.
Dan Brierley
19   Posted 01/02/2011 at 17:25:16

Personally, I think this season is a write-off. Bringing in loan players is a gamble, just to have an outside chance of getting into the Europa League which doesn't pay back the cost of the loanees. A couple of loan players on £45k a week would cost us a couple of million to the end of the season. My only hope, which is dwindling to say the least, is that the club recognise this season is a lost cause, and are saving money to use during the summer. I hope it's nothing more sinister, such as needing to get the players off our books just to survive.

The scary thing about this season, is what effect it will have on the players currently at our club. Before, the players wouldn't go to teams outside the top four, as Everton was the pick of the rest. Now, I could imagine that a few other teams may look far more attractive than our outfit.

Kenwright is in a situation where he cannot win. The fact that he is waiting for the right buyer with the right level of investment to take the club forward, is being interpreted as not wanting to sell the club. People are understandably now even overlooking the fact that not one serious bid has ever even made it into the press. But on the flip side if he sold up to the first vulture that came along, he would be guilty of destroying the club and everything it has stood for.

I am disappointed as the next person that no players came in to give the club a huge boost, just when it was needed. Although I am not quite ready to press the panic button yet, and declare that I would prefer any old Tom Dick or Harry to be in charge of Everton Football Club.
Leon Perrin
20   Posted 01/02/2011 at 18:01:08

I disagree.

I don't want rehashed backs to the wall shite.

Defenders of the dynamic duo will just continue with their delusions allowing the place to be dragged further into shit street.

We need a spineless, just avoiding relegation season to cause uproar, then we might see change.
Ray Said
21   Posted 01/02/2011 at 18:50:56

Mark (18) surely 'Ball of Confusion' by the Temptations hits the nail on the head...

Or 'You can't always get what you want' Rolling Stones or Paul Simon 'Slip sliding away, the nearer your destination the more your slip sliding away' Or Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes 'Bad luck'.
James Hollister
22   Posted 01/02/2011 at 19:03:22

Is Moyes going out of his way to get us relegated this season or what?

How many players out on loan and just how many in on loan? 4 or 5 out and 0 in?

Everton are looking down the fucking barrel of relegation and what does fat twat bill do? His usual fuck all... let's hope when we do go, fat twat Bill and bungling dithering Davie are gone...
Daniel Johnson
23   Posted 01/02/2011 at 19:47:32

Moyes is saving the cash as come summer hes gonna say Adios Amigos.
Trevor Lynes
24   Posted 02/02/2011 at 11:40:39

We do not have adequate replacements for Baines, Arteta, Fellaini,Cahill or Saha. If any of those players get injured or suspended... so how can we be realistically optimistic??? We do not have the luxury of a squad big enough to rotate so fatigue may well be a problem too. We have very little competition for places and our form is very inconsistent.

The games against the top 4 or 5 clubs have largely been reasonably successful due to effort and raising our game, as do clubs from lower leagues in the FA Cup. My genuine fear is relegation as I do not think our present squad could be kept together and regain promotion quickly.

Please don't think I am a pessimist as I have supported EFC since 1948 through many ups and downs but the way this club is being mismanaged and the way money seems to be no object to some other clubs... I do fear meltdown!!