Members:   Log In Sign Up

Phil McNulty's perspective

Found this interesting article regarding Everton's current plight by Phil McNulty on the BBC Sport website.

Covers mostly the same ground thats been covered on here the past few weeks but thought it'd be worth a read by any Evertonian.

Tony Hale, Liverpool     Posted 02/02/2011 at 10:50:40

Comments

Mike Hughes
1   Posted 02/02/2011 at 14:03:46

There's nothing new we don't already know but it sums the situation up nicely.

I found some of the responses from BBC viewers interesting.

None of us know all the facts of what's going on behind the scenes. There is rumour and speculation ? administration, Hollywood investment etc ? but one thing is for sure in my opinion. Obviously there needs to be some kind of change, behind the scenes, management whatever.

It looks like 2011 will be a landmark year for EFC. We can't stay as we are. So what will change?

Tom Winek
2   Posted 02/02/2011 at 14:18:59

This is the second article the BBC's Phil McNulty has written about us in a week. He doesn't mention Administration but it's a pretty bleak picture he paints of our team. I think it's a good bit of journalism and highlights most, if not all, of the concerns fans have expressed on TW pages over the last few months.
Tom Winek
3   Posted 02/02/2011 at 14:18:59

Simon Jenkins
4   Posted 02/02/2011 at 14:45:20

I do not understand why non-Evertonians, particular journos, ever challenge Kenwright's theory that there is no-one out there looking to buy us.

Given investment in other lesser clubs, Kenwright is doing something wrong, be it using the wrong person to look (the hopeless Keith Harris), or looking in the wrong place, or talking to the wrong people, or asking for too much. Why does no-one ask what Kenwright's asking price for the club is, or why he hasn't appointed a proper financial service like Liverpool did (in Hawkpoint) in order to seek out potential buyers?

This total inertia, the 'there's no money out there and that's the way it is' defeatist attitude is killing many different aspects of our club - morale, optimism, fanbase, ambition. Something seriously has to change.
Adam Carey
5   Posted 02/02/2011 at 14:53:17

Simon @ 4, I may be slightly incorrect here but I'm sure the last time Bill allowed an AGM/Shareholders meeting this question was indeed asked. If memory serves, it was asked by a shareholder in a polite and measured manner, and the reply was along the lines of a childish "I'm bored with that question". We never have got an answer either!
Lee Mandaracas
6   Posted 02/02/2011 at 15:21:32

I must highlight a very carefully selected word repeatedly employed on the part of Mr Kenwright. To the very best of my knowledge he has always vehemently asserted he is searching 24/7 for an 'investor' and I do not recall him so much as once stating he was looking for a 'buyer'.

If my interpretation is correct, he is basically saying "I want some random with no particular interest in my club and squillions of quid in the bank to throw some of it my way to do with it what I wish. That way I will still hold the controls of the train set and in return, they will be an 'investor' in a club for which they have understandably no passion. They would not have a standing such as chairman or owner to raise their profile in return for the investment but that's okay because they would have a 'true blue' at the helm and look what a great job I have done so far."

Assuming my analysis is accurate I struggle to think why billionaires are not beating a path to our door. It's the deal of the century!
Lewis Morrison
7   Posted 02/02/2011 at 15:28:42

Simon Jenkins, great point.

Its probably a few backhanders that keep the 'Nosey' journalists quiet.

I find it hard to believe that no journalist has ever run a story on the so called silent owners of our club. It is common knowledge amongst Evertonians and with all the storys, rumours and accusations from fans 'in the know' at our club you would think someone would have raised a few questions at least. Strange, Very strange!

Am i wright in saying that a certain Phillip Green would probably know a few people in high places when it comes to the media???
Roberto Birquet
8   Posted 02/02/2011 at 15:53:50

The BBC piece manages to admonish Moyes among the praise for keeping the entire squad in the summer last year. And I agree.

I am usually a Moyes supporter but I was disappointed last summer. He had no money to make signings, and that is the hand he's dealt, so fine. But I felt then - not just some hindsight - that he should have juggled the squad to get a better balance.

He held out for more money on Yak, which may have been no more than a tactic that backfired - I don't know. But I thought then that we could have got up to £15 million by selling Yak and Pienaar - it was evident to me the one could not continue as our top striker, and that the other would not stick around long enough for it to be worth our while keeping him. Now we'll get barely half that.

Maybe I was a bit optimistic in thinking the sales would have got us Donovan plus a new striker. But it seemed obvious that sticking with what we had would mean little firepower, just when the rest of the squad was looking good enough to challenge for 4th place.

My advice now would be: use the sales of Pienaar, Yak, Vaughan and Yobo to pay for a £12-13 striker. Whoever is the best we can get for that money. Then sell one of the jewels to fund a better balance(assuming we would be allowed to reinvest money from sales).

We may have our hands forced on this: Fellaini has a new contract offer, but will he sign? Do not allow more than one of the jewels to leave. We have most on longer contracts.

But the sale of - say Fellaini - would be sufficient to get a very good replacement AND sign Donovan or a younger winger. Hopefully cool heads, and a better financial position than what many of us perhaps fear can get Everton back competing.
Steve Cotton
9   Posted 02/02/2011 at 16:29:14

the problem with the clubs current financial position is that the sale of players goes to offset debt not to reinforce the squad.

so 15 million for Fellaini would not mean 15 million for the manager. Also we probably still owe 5 million on him the way we structure deals.

therefore where is the incentive for Moyse to lose any player he likes as he would not get someone better in return
Liam Reilly
10   Posted 02/02/2011 at 16:43:58

If there's no money in the summer, it will be easier playing pick up sticks with our butt-cheeks than holding onto Fellaini, or indeed any of our top footbballers.
Denis Richardson
11   Posted 02/02/2011 at 18:14:55

At least the impotence of the board is now being discussed outside everton fansites.
Al Reddish
12   Posted 02/02/2011 at 18:17:17

Bill has finally done what you lot thought was impossible under his leadership. HE HAS FINALLY UNITED ALL EVERTONIANS. (With maybe the exception of Doddy!)
Jeremy Benson
13   Posted 02/02/2011 at 18:17:47

Lots of flack here for BK it seems.

Personally, I hold no grudge.

Would the majority of posters here, if given the situation where they owned Everton FC, really give it up so easy for the sake of the club and new investment?

Be honest with yourself.

Nah, I didn't think so. I'd love to think everyone is so altrusitic, but the reality is we'd all have our fingernails dug into the doorframe as someone tried to pull us away from our beloved club, rather than easily given up for some roubles or euros and to an investor who isnt a fan, and let it slide from our grip.

I think you're too hard on Bill.
John Ford
14   Posted 02/02/2011 at 19:34:28

Jeremy...without question yes I would. Id recognise my own limitations and the limitations that puts on my club. It doesnt mean I have to relinquish all ties, but it would become obvious when other clubs of similar or less income and potential are able to do better business,

Lee @6 That's my understanding too . It is the core problem at our club. Kenwright is looking for huge investment without offering control of the club. Its completely unrealistic
Garry Martin
15   Posted 02/02/2011 at 21:30:02

You have to remember that Bill Kenwright is essentially an actor, he demonstrates his love & passion for our club in a trained theatrical manner.
He probably does love our club, however, his dieing love could be actually damaging our long term future. Please Bill do the best for the club & sell in order to safeguard our club
Gavin Ramejkis
16   Posted 02/02/2011 at 21:58:52

I think if nothing else it has finally killed off the myth that being a fan is the most important thing to running the club and that being a successful and capable businessman or woman should be.

Look at past examples

Peter Swayles - the most similar example to BK if ever there was one, outlived his stay and destroyed Man City at the time

Peter Ridsdale - crippled Leeds and only now do they look like their long rebuilding/recovery seems to be showing decent fruition

We are all fans but our other skills earn us a living.
Brian Waring
17   Posted 02/02/2011 at 22:10:29

Jeremy, I would give it up. I love the club, and if I thought I couldn't take it any further, I would let go of the reins, instead of watching it waste away.
Jim Lloyd
18   Posted 02/02/2011 at 23:48:11

Jeremy,
I suppose it depends on what a person thinks is love, as to whether he/she would give up the club.
You've asked a question and presumed to give us all the answer. It would appear then, that you would not relinquish control. Well, it is a hypothetical situation but you have maybe not knowingly shown up your so called love of Everton to follow the motives of our current Chairman.He'll let it die before he gives up control.
He loves the club....as long as its his. Some love, some chairman.
Howard Don
19   Posted 03/02/2011 at 07:54:42

Didn't like "McNasty" when he was with the Echo, but this is a good summing up of the situation. Pat Nevin's comments are worth a read also. I believe if Moyes walks we could go into freefall.
Richard Parker
20   Posted 03/02/2011 at 09:09:43

I mentioned the problem that was clearly coming a couple of years ago, when it became clear that we were in a sell-to-buy situation. (Fellaini in on the back of selling AJ and Faddy with no investment).

There is no other option than to break up the squad, it is ageing and unbalanced. As much as I hate saying it, we need to move on our older players who will still fetch a decent fee - the likes of Arteta, perhaps Cahill, Bily, Heitinga are all good candidates.

With the money from these sales, Moyes needs to go out and buy twice the number of players. He needs to find the next Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar, Jagielka, Lescott, plus a decent striker or 2... £5M or less players who develop into top Premiership players.

Ideally, amongst all this, he needs to hold on to the Colemans, Fellainis, Rodwells, etc.

Moyes has done it once and while it is far, far easier said than done, I reckon he can do it again. Although, looking at Moyes, I don't think he's got it in him to do it all a second time over. Something's going to give very soon, for better, or more likely for the worse.
Gavin Ramejkis
21   Posted 03/02/2011 at 09:55:55

Howard given BK's MO he will most definitely blame everything on anyone besides himself and DM will be the first person on that list if it means he stays as Chairman.
David Israel
22   Posted 04/02/2011 at 14:21:53

All the supposed explanations for the fact that Everton haven't been sold, such as "second club in a «small city»", "old and inadequate ground" and so on are essentially a load of rubbish and most of us recognize them as such. The fact that the media insist on peddling this version of events, along with the fantastic line that BK has been looking for a buyer for 10 years, although not evidence of dishonesty ? only of PC thinking and intellectual laziness ? is truly preposterous.

Besides, as pointed out in this thread, BK never actually said he was looking for a buyer, only for "investment". As if anyone would give him their money for him to manage it! I mean, if that were easy to achieve he wouldn't need to look far, all he'd have to do was merely to convince Lord Grantchester to part with some of his money. But something tells me that if I were Lord Grantchester I wouldn't do that!

So, what needs to be done, clearly and unambiguously, is for BK to appoint someone to sell the club, not just "look for investment", and be done with it. If this is not done quickly, within a couple of seasons we'll be relegated.