The Kenwright Legacy

If any of you fellow Evertonians feel like I do, which an immense feeling of frustration in how this season is panning out, then I am not surprised. Its not really anger I am feeling, its disappointment coupled with a feeling of helplessness, especially as no new players joined the squad in this transfer window yesterday.

The defeat to Arsenal last is endemic of how the team is playing at the moment and it rubs off on the fans without them knowing its happening. Even before a ball was kicked last night I knew we wouldn't win, even though we had run Arsenal close (barring the 6-1 last season) in recent games and this acceptance of defeat could clearly be seen in how the team played last night.

I think there are a number of reasons that could easily blamed in how this air of defeatism and huge lack of confidence is eating into this club and its team. The level of expectation set at beginning of the season certaininly isn't helping, but I think the reasons are more deep seated and have been effecting this club for a number of seasons.

I think that David Moyes is quickly reaching an empasse in how far he can take Everton Football Club unless things radically change, confining Everton to being a 'nearly' club, like an Olympic sprinter running towards the tape but then pulling a muscle and being pipped in the dying seconds of the race by a cluster of better kept runners.

Without being blatently obvious we all know that a bit of investment in the playing squad is all that is needed to lift the asperations of the club and its fans, but getting absolutely nothing to spend from transfer window to transfer window is starting to take its toll.

The Kenwright legacy, just recently, is to continualy take advantage of the ability of David Moyes to work miracles with a limited transfer budget, its just that the budget has to be greater than zero for him to stand half a chance of performing a miracale at all. If Kenwright starting to take David Moyes for granted then he is playing a dangerous game.

What Kenwright seems to not realise is that all it will take is to provide Moyes with the meagre sum of say £15-£20 million each summer and about £10 million in January for the squad to keep Moyes happy and give him half a chance to keep Everton competetive. Would it have been more benefical to give Moyes money for the squad instead of spending it on some half-cocked retail block at the Park End?

Although Kenwright's heart is in the right place, has he been chairman just one or two years too long and is it time for some fresh blood to take up the helm?

Brian Baker, Aldershot     Posted 02/02/2011 at 11:22:43

Comments

Kev Lacey
1   Posted 02/02/2011 at 14:30:16

Just seen Moyes is evens with bookies to be the next Premier League manager to leave the club. Apparently this is all based on rumours (of which I've heard none) so if anyone has, please shed some light. Could be bullshit but I can't remember when times have been really bad with him before the bookies starting to chat about it.

He obviously would have to walk as he'd never get sacked, because 1) Bill wouldn't and 2) we can't afford it.

Personally I think it's too stale and time for a change. Other clubs with long-term mangers have had success which brings everyone together, our success (what success? ? I guess some would say) has been purely relative. But who the hell could we replace him with, given our limited funds?

Strange and worrying times at our beloved club.

Andrew Fair
2   Posted 02/02/2011 at 14:31:24

Im not pissed off anymore just fed up by it all. Kenwright has gotta go he is making a mockery of Everton. I know he says he is looking for investment but he isnt trying hard enough. All you would have to do is bring a rich benefactor to Goodison to experience the fans and the passion from us Evertonians and they would snap up the club. Kenright is letting us down and needs to go. If these rumours are true and we lose Moyes then thats one step too far.
James Hughes
3   Posted 02/02/2011 at 14:33:08

The next six months are going to tell me everything I really need to know about the character that is David Moyes. Anybody who seen the stare of agony and pain during his interview on transfers would agree that there is surely no way that Moyes's and Kenwright's relationship has not been fractured possibly beyond repair.

Moyes himself stated that he wanted three players in on loan during the transfer window instead we allowed our player of last season to leave and Yakubu to go on loan, add to that Vaughan and Silva. What must Moyes be feeling though?

If he had a shred of pride he should knock on Billy bullshits door and say "I can't do this anymore, it's best we part now as I have taken this club as far as I can." If Moyes had any backbone thats' what he would do and be honest who would blame him?

Does he stay and keep us up? Then what? Another summer of falling behind even mediocre clubs? Another summer where the vultures will be around our better players and we will have no money again? What if he cant keep us up? Does he want a relegation on his managerial CV?

Does he have the bottle to walk out on a lucrative deal? Or does he stay as Kenwright's puppet being told like a little boy that he has no money for sweeties? Does he want that?

Has the Moyes/Everton marriage gone stale? For some reason you get the feeling that things will reach boiling point very very soon...

Sean Smythe
4   Posted 02/02/2011 at 14:41:24

Only rumour I have witnessed is an email from a friend which I copy for you here:

Odds are crashing left, right and centre and the Twittersphere is rife with speculation that Everton and manager David Moyes are set to part company before the end of the day.

Sky Bet are currently rating the odds on Moyes? possible departure as ?evens?, after apparently taking a ?flurry of bets? on the eyebrow-less Scot walking by close of play tonight.

Could be nothing, could be a complete disaster from a Toffees perspective - but we?ll keep you posted either way?

Steve Smith
5   Posted 02/02/2011 at 14:40:59

So just a "meagre" 30M per season? or to put it another way 7M more than we take on the gate in a whole season, how do we get this money? borrow it? or possibly sell to buy? neither of which would go down very well with most contributors on here would it?
Dave Lynch
6   Posted 02/02/2011 at 14:48:29

Moyes could bring Kenwright down with one foul swoop.
All he would have to do is, go on Sky sports and threaten to resign.
State the reasons and be honest about it.
Kenwright would not dare sack him as every fan associated with the club will hunt him down like a dog.
James Carroll
7   Posted 02/02/2011 at 14:59:42

Please, David - you need to do a Peter Finch-style speech ('Network') and say "I'm mad as Hell - and I'm not going to take this anymore"...
Go on Sky Sports - stand up to Kenwright - and remove him.
It seems to be working in Egypt...
Lewis Morrison
8   Posted 02/02/2011 at 15:01:30

Dave Lynch, spot on!

Ive never seen Moyes look so pissed off and close to the edge. But he does himself no favours when he comes out with comments like "Ive got a great chairman and i wouldnt swap him for anyone".

Its just so confusing! Im beginning to think Moyes says things like that tongue in cheek and is really just taking the piss out of Kenwright.
John Audsley
9   Posted 02/02/2011 at 15:19:57

After all that Moyes has said in the past about how wonderful BK is it would be great for him to turn round and slate him for his lack of vision

I think Dave Lynch is spot on
Shaun Brennan
10   Posted 02/02/2011 at 15:38:58

Dave Lynch if Moyes was going to do that, surely he'll have to wait till the end of season then. There's no point in saying that now!

Andrew McGreavy
11   Posted 02/02/2011 at 15:19:37

Paddy Power, David Moyes 7/4 still behind Avram Grant
Mike Green
12   Posted 02/02/2011 at 15:53:12

Spot on Andrew McGreavy - Moyes is 2nd Fav to leave post next after Grant. Hills are offering 6/1 and the rest anywhere from 5/2 to 7/4 at Paddy Power for it to be Moyes.

So lets say the market is saying Moyes is 2/1 to be the next to go, they are incredibly short odds considering he wouldve been something like 50/1 I imagine at the start of the season.

"There could be trouble ahead...."
Brian Waring
13   Posted 02/02/2011 at 16:15:12

Tony J Williams
14   Posted 02/02/2011 at 15:54:38

Don't take any notice of the Bookie's odd. He has been even or odds on in previous seasons but he is still here.

A few bets and the bookies cack themselves and drop the odds.

Is Riquelme still signing for us? It used to be a odds on bet that.
David S Shaw
15   Posted 02/02/2011 at 16:24:10

To be fair £30m net a season transfer budget is a bit unrealistic for most Prem clubs.

Richard Dodd
16   Posted 02/02/2011 at 16:55:41

Don`t waste any `hard-earned` backing on Moyes to leave.Thankfully,He and Blue Bill are joined at the hip.(The op cost about 16M!)
Chris Keightley
17   Posted 02/02/2011 at 17:07:14

Brian Waring
18   Posted 02/02/2011 at 17:28:31

Seen that film myself Chris. One right sicko who made that movie. By the way Chris, Doddy would be the one in the middle, who, when the one in front has a shite, it goes through. I mean, its not as if he isen't full of shite anyway.
John Audsley
19   Posted 02/02/2011 at 17:35:57

Chris K

Can.t stop laughin!!

Nice One!

Paul Gladwell
20   Posted 02/02/2011 at 17:29:39

Moyes is on the OS saying we never got no one is because of lack of quality so he is covering and lying for him again, they are as bad as each other.
Karl Masters
21   Posted 02/02/2011 at 17:32:15

More defeatist moaning. ''I knew we'd lose last night before a ball was kicked...''

I was there and we played far better than you would think reading some of the comments above - mainly from people who were not there I would guess.

We kept the ball well, looked dangerous in attack and Fellaini was awesome. I was in with the Arsenal fans and we had them worried. My brother was with me ( a neutral ) and he said he could not understand how we were not in the Top 6 playing like that. We definitely deserved a draw.

We are not that far away from these teams. The Everton fans there got right behind the team and clearly our travelling support, which was sold out yet again, can see something the incessant moaners on here cannot.

No doubt I'll get all the comments about burying my head in the sand, blah, blah, blah, but the football we played last night was infinitely better than a few years ago. We just need to cut out the costly mistakes at the back.
Dave Lynch
22   Posted 02/02/2011 at 18:14:13

Shaun @10.
It might force the lying bastard into selling the club though.
Peter Dry
23   Posted 02/02/2011 at 18:09:03

James, Network is a great satirical film but i think we're beyond satire.

Ste Traverse
24   Posted 02/02/2011 at 18:23:10

It's time Mr Ego realised we are Everton FC, not Bill Kenwright FC and slung his bleedin' hook. He's got nothing to offer this club.

I fucking hate the man and whats he's doing to our club.
Phil Bellis
25   Posted 02/02/2011 at 18:36:03

Too good to go down, then, Karl?
Mmmmm
John Daley
26   Posted 02/02/2011 at 18:18:24

"With you attached as well Doddy its like a human centipede .....saw the film not great!!"

If only the wildly overacting Dr Deiter could really unleash his psychotic surgical skills on Kenwrights flabby cheek flaps. That would be a film well worth watching.

" By the way Chris, Doddy would be the one in the middle"

Nah, surely he gets stitched on the end? He's been happily swallowing the shit served up by Bill and
Dave for years.
Nelaj Behajiha
27   Posted 02/02/2011 at 18:45:04

What a loa dof nonsense it was Moyes who spent huge amounts on the like son Yakubu, Feliani and Billy. It is him who decided to keep Arteta, fail to sell Pienaar for a decent rpice in the summer. Failure to realise that Rodwell doesn't actually look like the supposed next big thing and hasn't for a long time. It was him that swapped injury prone goal shy AJ and to replace him with injury prone goal shy Saha. He has had chances to make good decisions such as sell players like Jagielka to fund transfers. It's him who continues to play people in the wrong position for years he failed to realise Lescott was better at centre back than on the left wing. It's Moyes who decides that his whole team revolves round 1 man Tim Cahill. Moyes has sailed to purchase a central midfielder who is capable of passing and can create things. There's utterley no creativity in our midfield we just basically score a goal then sit back for the whole game and hope they don't score. A lot of fans are deluded and most of the people on this site are cyber protestors. I'm totally support people who claim BK is not good for our club but sitting or your arse whining isn't going to acheive anything. I wrote a piece yesterday that dissapeared into cyber space about organising a protest at the Blackpool game. There's been hundreds of articles about BK yet has anybody ever even thought of organising a protest, no. If you believe that he's so bad for our club bloody protest. I'm sure he's terrified of Everton fans debating him on TW.
Alan Clarke
28   Posted 02/02/2011 at 19:19:39

Nelaj, where do you want us on saturday then for a protest you're obviously going to organise? Don't slag evryone off then do fuck all yourself.

The plan seems to be a sit in after the blackpool game.
Dave Lynch
29   Posted 02/02/2011 at 19:30:05

Come on Nelaj.
I'll even bring me kids to swell the numbers.
Franny Porter
30   Posted 02/02/2011 at 20:00:10

I'll bring me Nana.......
David Denby
31   Posted 02/02/2011 at 20:54:47

I think it's plain to see for everyone that Kenwright needs to go. I hope he reads this site every now and then and he'll realise that if he walked now or even came out with a statment of true intent he could go with his head held high. The longer he is charge the more of a laughing stock we become. Nobody can have a go at the guy for him ousting Johnson but over the last few years I along with many of you have become so feel so far removed from the club I was brought up to love. Why? Mainly because of Kenwrights actions. He couldn't wait to jump on the Peoples Club quote. No he doesn't want to know. No AGM, no questions being answered. I tell you now, it's a bloody good job for him our Egyptian following are bust elsewhere!

In all honesty I can't see him leaving for the foreseeable. That will just leave us more frustrated I guess. A telling point for me will be over the next few weeks. Terry Leahy is due to finish with Tescos next month. I apprecaite he'll want a break but I wonder, I just wonder whether Kenwright will even attempt to get a successful Evertonain onboard and see what he can do?

Please Bill, give it up, you came into this with nothing, you can walk away with nothing if the club means as much to you as it does to us. The last two transfer windows have been poor even by our recent standards. In this day and age where new money can afford 35M for an injured striker who has only played in the top flight for six months then the very least we need as fans is hope for the future and whilst your still at the helm it doesn't appear to be a wish that's going to be granted.

I'll always support this club but you're helping to make it a painful experience at the moment.
John Shaw
32   Posted 02/02/2011 at 20:52:02

Nelaj (27) - A couple of things:-

I'm not sure calling most fans deluded is the way to go about uniting everybody enough to stage a protest against Black Bill !!

Of the three 'huge' amounts you say DM has spent, only Bily looks less than worth it to date. Until he got injured, (one which as recently as 5 years ago would have completely finished a players career), Yak was our most potent goal scorer by some distance, his goals to games until the injury was 26 in 58 appearances, not bad I'd say. I also think most fans would say that Fellaini has been outstanding more often than not and I'd suggest he's probably destined for much better things at a more successful club than ours. So I would hardly describe these two purchases as 'wasted'. Now Bily I will give you, although it would be nice to see him given a run in his proper position, just off the front man.

On the point of Rodwell I very much doubt many fans would have been too pleased had DM sold JR in the summer, indeed most were extremely pleased when he signed his new deal ! Given that he is still only 19 I also don't think you should be too quick to criticise, I personally think he will turn into a great player once he matures and learns to use his obvious power to boss games, but that's just my opinion.

I wasn't aware that DM swapped AJ for Saha, I thought we purchased AJ for approx £8.5mill and sold him for over £10mill, which given he was two years older, had a bad injury and he scored just 22 goals in 74 games I think was good business. I believe Saha was actually a nominal fee, leaving us £10mill better off, if you want to compare apples with plums!

Yes, DM kept Arteta in the summer but did anybody foresee in the summer that Mikky would have been so poor this season so far? No, I didn't think so. If he was on form, and yes it's a big if, Arteta is the very type of midfielder you are proclaiming we don't have, creative, likewise Bily and Pienaar (before he went obviously).

Do you recall anybody actually being in for Pienaar in the summer, because I don't so how do you know how much we would have got for him, or if DM would have been given it more's the point !!

With hingsight the decision to keep Yak now looks to have backfired, but again a lot of lads I know and go the match with were of the opinion that with a full pre season under his belt, the Yak would be able to hit the new season firing on all cylinders.

Maybe we should have sold players to fund new purchases, but you are always taking a chance that the new players work out for the better, which isn't always the case. I personally was happy with the squad we came into the season with on the whole, (I would ideally have liked a new, more established (than Beckford) striker), but the fact is, a lot of our 'star' players just haven't turned up so far this season. Why ? who knows, I know I don't

Thomas James
33   Posted 02/02/2011 at 21:31:08

Hang-on....

William Hill have said on their website that it was based on nothing but rumours. They have no evidence to back this up. They even goes as far as explaining that for Big Sam large sums of money were laid giving the game away...this is not the case for Moyes

DAVID MOYES was cut from 16/1 to 3/1 by William Hill to be the next Premier League manager to leave his club as a gamble developed during the early part of Wednesday that he was about to leave Everton. But with no supporting evidence to back up the claims, his odds have drifted back out, doubling to 6/1. 'Given that the market often anticipates managerial departures - Sam Allardyce was gambled on significantly just before he quit out of the blue earlier this season, for example' said Hill's spokesman Graham Share, 'But in this instance as there was no particularly worrying pattern to the gamble, or substantial bets involved we quickly decided that this rumour was probably based on Moyes' frustration and outspoken comments after Tuesday night's defeat to Arsenal, and pushed the odds back out without being knocked over in the rush to get on.'
HILLS NOW MAKE AVRAM GRANT 4/7 FAVOURITE TO BE THE NEXT PREM BOSS TO GO, WITH MOYES 6/1 ALONG WITH DI MATTEO; 10 HUGHES; MARTINEZ; 12 MCLEISH; 12 ANCELOTTI.
David Moyes is 4/11 with Hills still to be Everton boss on the first day of next season, 2/1 not to. 'You can't really see Moyes leaving Everton where he is so highly regarded unless he is tempted away by one of the so-called glamour clubs' said Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe.

Andrew Gilbert
34   Posted 02/02/2011 at 21:38:57

What really pisses me off about this club is the official website which has reintroduced auto playing ads on nearly every page you visit!

Peter Fearon
35   Posted 02/02/2011 at 21:52:38

A few weeks ago everyone wanted Moyes head. Now I'm reading that Moyes could get Kenwright to turn the club over to - who exactly? - just by threatening to resign. It's such nonsense. Has anyone considered that the first thing any new proprietor would do after asking the way to the Gents is fire David Moyes? He has managed to turn a 4th place finishing club into a relegation threatened club in just a few seasons, spending some 50 Million quid along the way on players, some of whom have no business in the Premiership, meanwhile helping to turn some good prospects like Anichebe into mediocrities.
John Shaw
36   Posted 02/02/2011 at 22:19:42

Peter (35)

A new owner may well replace DM, however we'll never know unless BB actually puts the club up for sale, you know, not this bullshit about 'looking for investment, actually up for sale.

He may well have spent £50 mill along the way but how much did he raise in sales at the same time? It's not like he has spent the money increasing the size and strength of the squad so that he could drop underperorming players with equal quality, it's essentially our 1st team 11, no more.

Of our first 11 who honestly has no business in the Premiership?

And as for Anichebe, I have only ever rated him as mediocre to be honest and even then, I don't think he has been the same player since he was cut in half by shithouse Nolan.
Karl Masters
37   Posted 02/02/2011 at 22:37:52

stop wallowing in it, Phil Bellis. It seems that some of you would be happy to see us get relegated just so you could say ' I told you so.' Thank God the internet wasn't around in 1983. A few 'thirty thousand stay away fans can't be wrong' leaflets and painting 'kendall out' on howie's garage doors was all the grumpy old gits of the time came up with. Imagine if they could have spent hours typing away abuse like you can today. Two league titles and all the rest may never have happened.
Dick Fearon
38   Posted 02/02/2011 at 23:11:18

You can blame Kenwright all you want but it was Moyes who ruined the start of the season by not having the team properly prepared. It was Moyes who compounded the bloody awful start with mind numbing tactics and it was he who regularly made the most ridiculous substitutions, usually too late to make a difference.
So go ahead, tip the bucket over BK if you must but at least recognise that but for Moyes failure we could be challenging for a top four place and not in a relegation battle.
David O'Keefe
39   Posted 02/02/2011 at 23:29:33

I'll have what your having Dick.
Brendan McLaughlin
40   Posted 02/02/2011 at 23:29:30

Brian Waring @ 13
"One of the safest jobs in football, £65k in wages that makes me one of the highest paid managers in the prem, or walk, hmmmmm! "
--------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps you shouldn't judge everyone by your own standards Brian?
Jay Harris
41   Posted 03/02/2011 at 01:20:03

We're all assuming it's Kenwright that Moyes is pissed off with.

Have you stopped to think that Earl and Green are now wielding far more power in the corridors of GP and may well have clipped everybody's wings including Elstone who has been unusually quiet for the last 6 months.

Didnt Porky resign over Green's interference?
Eric Myles
42   Posted 03/02/2011 at 09:29:33

The club aren't paying for the retail block so that money could not have been used for players.
Gavin Ramejkis
43   Posted 03/02/2011 at 09:55:53

Eric I pointed that out on another thread but haven't added if we haven't paid for it we won't be making money from it either.
Dick Fearon
44   Posted 03/02/2011 at 14:03:43

David # 39, I deduce from your sarcastic reponse that you think Moyes had the team properly prepared for the start of the season. You also imply that Moyes's tactics were ideal and that his substitutions brilliant.
Peter Fearon
45   Posted 03/02/2011 at 15:17:13

John Shaw, this is slightly off the thread but the oft-cited statistic of how much a manager spends against how much he has raised by sales is irrelevant. Unless you are buying and selling nails it's voodoo economics. If you sell a good prospect and buy a fat lazy git, what difference does it make how small a net price you paid? If you sell a potentially world class player like Lescott and pay over the odds for players like Bilyaletdinov and Yakubu the arithmetic means nothing. The important things is: how much did I spend and what return did I get for the club's money? Where are we in the league thanks to the players I signed?
Brian Waring
46   Posted 03/02/2011 at 16:11:56

Brendan (#40) I imagine your trying to say Moyes is a man of integrity, and its not all about the money for him?

Funny, how it took an age for him to sign a new contract, and when he eventually did, it came with a huge pay rise, making him one of the highest paid managers in the Prem, and Moyes then having his head so far up BK's arse, it was unbelievable.

Maybe £65K is the going rate now to buy loyalty???

Maybe the reason it took ages, was because he was holding out for more money than was being offered? The thing is, you or I will never know.

Brendan McLaughlin
47   Posted 03/02/2011 at 23:20:44

Brian @ 46
There is an alternative explanation for Moyes stalling on his contract which revolves around what money he had for team building. Obviously I have no evidence for this but then again do you for the "more money" angle? Sorry but the old "innocent until proven guilty" still informs my view. Of course "you or I will never know" but as I said originally judge someone by your own standards!