Irvine return?

Now that Alan Irvine has left Sheffield Wednesday, I was wondering if you'd like to see him hook up with Moyes again and let Round go?

I always got the impression thay had a great working partnership, maybe it would be a boost to have him back? Especially since Round seriously divides opinion.

Sean Smythe, Cheshire     Posted 03/02/2011 at 13:04:27

Comments

James Cadwaladr
1   Posted 03/02/2011 at 14:16:03

I've just seen that Alan Irvine has lost his job at Sheffield Wednesday.

I'd love to see him come back to Everton.... Any chance????

Anthony Jaras
2   Posted 03/02/2011 at 14:18:50

As much as it would give me hope for the future to reunite Moyes with Irvine, on what grounds could we sack Steve Round and more importantly, would Moyes want to?

Yes, we have declined since Round got involved and despite our second half to last season, our football was never up to the standard it was with Irvine coaching, however, I really don't think we could sack Round 'just because' Irvine is free again.

Add to this to fact that we don't have a penny to pay both of them simultaneously, I can't see this happening.
Marc Williams
3   Posted 03/02/2011 at 14:17:36

No chance...unless he fancies doing some unpaid voluntary work !
Mark Hill
4   Posted 03/02/2011 at 14:34:47

It s funny how short memories we have because i seem to remember Irvine being roundly chriticised and chastised at times when he was here at Everton....
Anthony Jaras
5   Posted 03/02/2011 at 15:29:55

I don't remember the criticism of Irvine in comparison to Steve Round Mark. I certainly didn't anyway. Never knew that bud.
Sean McKenna
6   Posted 03/02/2011 at 15:42:08

Ooooo yea... let's get Irvine back ? after all, he done a great job with Preston and Sheff Wed didn't he? Oh yea... he got sacked by both!! Give it a rest, guys, Moyes could have Alex Ferguson as a number two and he would will still be a negative twat.
Brian Waring
7   Posted 03/02/2011 at 15:56:37

Beat me to it Mark. I can remember people asking the same question of Irvine, as they do of Round now, what does he actually do?
Gaute Lie
8   Posted 03/02/2011 at 16:17:16

I had a look at the coaches currently working with David Moyes. As far as I can see all of them are former defenders, execpt from Jimmy Lusden, who was a (defense) midfielder.

When all of the staff are former defenders, who's gonna teach the players how to attack properly? For most of the part our play lacks attacking skills. I think it's foolish to believe a defender can teach an attacker how to attack, tactics etc etc. We should have someone in the coaching staff who truly knows how to attack, and the tactics in attacking play.

We aren't bad when it comes to defendig, but then again, it looks to me that defendig is all Moyes and his staff knows. When I was in the army I was taught by other army staff. Would I as an infantry man learn my lessons from a navy man? I don't think so..

Any other opinions about the lack of attacking minded coaches, or the lack of them?

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
9   Posted 03/02/2011 at 16:17:44

Hi Gaute, the point you raise is a good one, but it's one we have discussed at length quite recently. I could probably add a link to the the thread if someone wants to follow it. And maybe there are some fresh ideas on this score? (Although, personally, I have little left in the tank at the moment!)
James Martin
10   Posted 03/02/2011 at 16:27:28

We can't even defend now, so not quite sure what all those defensive coaches are doing. Nor can anyone in the team besides Baines cross a ball. Jagielka and Anichebe can't even pass so who knows what they're being coached to do exactly.
Declan Brown
11   Posted 03/02/2011 at 16:37:17

Mark and Brian, i too, can remember the abuse Irvine took before he left. As you say, some have short memories. Wouldn't say no to him coming back if he has something positive to offer.

But i'd prefer Andy Gray coming in to help advise Moyes on how to attack teams, get the impression Andy Gray can spot a lot of things that could help Moyes and he seems more clued in tactically whether it be our own or the opposition's.

Still haven't forgiven him for the "you beauty" commentary on Stevie Me's goal years back, my mate takes great pleasure in playing that back to me.
Craig Taylor
12   Posted 03/02/2011 at 16:46:27

I would rather Andy Gray than Irvine.

I think Gray is of an attacking mind, plus he must have so much knowledge of everyone elses tactics.

Wont happen though.

Also Irvine was definately criticised when he was at goodison.

Anthony Jaras
13   Posted 03/02/2011 at 17:24:30

Andy Gray? I bet he would demand at least THREE times the salary Steve Round gets!
Mark Wayman
14   Posted 03/02/2011 at 18:20:30

Andy Gray has a dominant personality, I don't see him wanting to be a coach or assistant manager now (I know he was at Villa, learning from BNP Ron). Plus, do you really think he needs less money for a harder job?

Having been a manager I don't think Alan Irvine would want to go back to being an assistant again, although it's not unheard of and you could say he failed to make it as a manager.

I do think we need an attack minded coach though.

Un-Interestingly, I saw Alan Irvine at the Ocean Plaza hotel/restaurant in Southport three weeks ago.
Jeremy Benson
15   Posted 03/02/2011 at 18:45:12

Why doesn't Graeme Sharp do our attacking coaching?

He clearly loves the club, and working at the club. And he certainly knew where the onion net was...
Jeremy Benson
16   Posted 03/02/2011 at 18:49:21

He's also pretty articulate and strikes me as more intelligent than most footballers. Perhaps it's time for Sharpy to have a larger role...
Andy Crooks
17   Posted 03/02/2011 at 19:00:16

I thought David Moyes was the coach. Does it matter a fuck who assists him? Is all they are doing not carrying out the coach's orders? Unfortunately are coach doesn't seem to have the first clue about coaching. I said a long time ago that it was time for a change. Some responses were deleted such was the negative comment I got.

I'll say it now and not on a separate thread: David Moyes should resign now and salvage his reputation. If he hangs around for Kenwright much longer he will be unemployable.

Stephen Davies
18   Posted 03/02/2011 at 19:27:44

Always like Irvine as a player and as a coach.
Would like to see him back, he added something to the club
Dick Fearon
19   Posted 03/02/2011 at 20:23:22

I agree with Marc # 4, that Irvine shared the blame and rightly so for our unpreparedness at the start of those seasons when he was here.

We also moaned about having two dour scotsmen in the dug-out. Irvine was head coach when Moyes retreated into his "if they don't score, we can't lose" phase that is still ongoing. AJ, the Yak and Beattie as strikers were ruined during Irvine's time.

The only difference I have seen between Alan and Steve is the cute little head-set worn by Steve.

Christopher McCullough
20   Posted 03/02/2011 at 20:58:34

Andy, regardless of what's said here on ToffeeWeb Moyes has, and always will have at Everton, an excellent reputation. (No, he won't take us down). His reputation seems to be cemented within the professional football society. And all you have to do is mention Moyes to a mate to realise he is highly regarded by the average football fan.
Christopher McCullough
21   Posted 03/02/2011 at 21:02:58

I can't believe anyone would prefer that professional shite talker Andy Gray to Alan Irvine.
Declan Brown
22   Posted 03/02/2011 at 21:39:22

I'd have Andy Gray because he was a centre forward and a very good one at it so he would know what type of service our strikers would revel in.

As for Irvine, as I said, people have short memories, it's not as if we pulled any trees up in the goalscoring charts when he was here.

Andy Gray would freshen things up and bring in some attacking nous to a team and club that is desperately needing it.

Read Graham Sharp's book to see how important Andy Gray was in the dressing room back in the mid 80's. Having that back again might go along way to saving us and David Moyes, because right now we're in trouble and the signs both on and off the field aren't looking good.
Christopher McCullough
23   Posted 03/02/2011 at 21:45:31

Fair enough, I will check out Sharpy's book sometime. I personally thought Gray was a melter on the TV, but I agree that someone with an attacking mindset would complement the coaching staff.
John Crook
24   Posted 03/02/2011 at 21:50:08

Irvine was about to come back after he was sacked by Preston to help out... but then the Sheff Weds job came up.
Peter Dry
25   Posted 03/02/2011 at 21:45:44

After losing 5-0 to City at Eastlands a few years ago, I was introduced to Sharp by a mutual friend in a bar in Manchester. We ended up having a frank exchange of views, which ended with him accusing me of being a 'redshite' because I was defending Duncan Ferguson who he thought was lazy. I think this proves that he would be a disaster if paired with Moyes.

His answer would be for our strikers to work harder, chase lost causes into the corner flag etc, and defend from the front. No thanks; I don't want my strikers working themselves into the ground, I want them getting on the end of chances. I'm surprised Moyes hasn't given him a job already though, because he's up his arse on the phone-ins.

John Maxwell
26   Posted 04/02/2011 at 01:34:51

Let Andy Gray run the womens team as a trial, then if they win the league and cup double, then promote him.
KPR Williams
27   Posted 04/02/2011 at 09:46:26

Do strikers make good managers? I can't think of many.
David Israel
28   Posted 04/02/2011 at 16:44:26

Frankly, I don't subscribe to the anti-Round school and I happen to think that the team's style of play has improved since he came in. These days we normally try to play football, push the ball about, and not just use the up-and-under. I don't know how much of that is down to Round but I sure don't remember the team playing like that when Irvine was around.

We remain a basically defensive team in spite of that improvement in the style of play, but that, I'm afraid, is more down to the manager.

So, basically, let's not romanticize about Alan Irvine, even though, of course, I regret his sacking (well, it's Mandaric, isn't it?) and wish him well.
Christopher McCullough
29   Posted 04/02/2011 at 18:45:10

Alex Ferguson, KPR
Sean McCarthy
30   Posted 04/02/2011 at 19:40:37

John Crook ? says who???
Derek Thomas
31   Posted 05/02/2011 at 06:01:54

List the Great managers, or even the Good ones.

Busby, Shankly, Stein Docerty Mercer, Paisley, Kendall. All, in old money, WingHalves.

Catterick, Clough, Ferguson; rip shit and bust run through brickwall centre forwards.

Jack Charlton, Cullis; Centre Halves.

Ramsey, Fullback.

Not too many attack attack attack minded fancy dans.

Revie, Deep-lieing centre forward/ playmaker.