I was absolutely made up with the win yesterday.

One concern I'd like to raise: I noticed early on, especially, that certain sections of the crowd seemed as though they couldn't wait to have a go at Mikel Arteta for the slightest thing and this was disgraceful, when even the smallest contribution by Marouane Fellaini was applauded.

While I have nothing against Fellaini being given maximum encouragement, the same luxury should be given to Arteta who I actually thought had a very good game, including his set pieces. He put in plenty of effort and I saw only one poor pass.

And I would like to thank Arteta for staying at Everton in the summer, even though he knew he could get a better contract elsewhere.

Abusive content removed by moderator

Ged Dwyer, Liverpool     Posted 06/02/2011 at 14:38:22

Comments

Oliver Molloy
1   Posted 06/02/2011 at 15:46:35

Yes Ged he is supposed to put a lot of effort in for £75 grand a week!!. And please tell me who was going to give him a better contract than the one he got with Everton. Not worth £75 grand a week for me.
Andy Codling
2   Posted 06/02/2011 at 15:54:22

£75 grand a week should guarantee effort

Abusive content removed by moderator

Max Main
3   Posted 06/02/2011 at 15:54:19

Oliver - have a read of this article. The relevant quote (on his reasons for staying):

"It wasn't finance. If it had been I wouldn't be here"

Oliver Molloy
4   Posted 06/02/2011 at 16:00:18

Max @ 3..
can you post the link please?
Ian Tunstead
5   Posted 06/02/2011 at 16:01:40

Well said Ged.
Liam Reilly
6   Posted 06/02/2011 at 16:11:35

Agree Ged. The same folk having a go at him would have been having a go at Moyes for letting him go, had he left in the summer. I thought he played very well yesterday alonside Fellaini and Rodwell.

I've no doubt he'll hit his high standards again.
Mike Bates
7   Posted 06/02/2011 at 16:13:16

The opportunities Arteta has to put a shot in only to bottle it and pass sideways to Pip - resulting in a wasted cross - is, in my opinion, just getting ridiculous. Putting a shot on target with a forward following up is a better bet for an assist than a Phil Neville cros.
Andy Codling
8   Posted 06/02/2011 at 16:35:57

Arteta is getting better with every game but why should he be above criticism?

I'll not thank any player for staying at Everton when they are on so much money; if they don't want to stay here, then they can fuck off.

Andy Hegan
9   Posted 06/02/2011 at 16:40:59

The most overrated player weve ever had.
Mike Elbey
10   Posted 06/02/2011 at 16:53:10

The people on here slagging Arteta for taking £75 grand a week are no doubt the same people who would have been slagging both him and the club off had he left in the summer.

The day Mikel renewed his contract was the highlight of the summer Everton-wise for me and many other Blues I know. He could most certainly have got more elsewhere but showed a degree of loyalty by staying.

Yes, he is well paid... and yes, he has not played well this season... but to criticise him for the contract he was offered is both ridiculous and hypocritical.
Oliver Molloy
11   Posted 06/02/2011 at 16:53:01

Liam @ 6

Not this same folk!!

My opinion of Arteta has never changed and, unless he starts banging in at least 15 odd goals a season, he simply is not worth the money he is paid. I also said many times if we were getting good money for him and, let's not forget, he apparently was looking for a move, he should have been sold. By giving him the contract he is on, and given the state of the club's finances, it was complete madness.

What do you think the Big Fella will be looking for now if we can even tempt him to sign an improved contract? My opinion is Arteta is way overrated, and is extremley fortunate to be earning the money he does. If the guy starts to bang in the goals, I might change my mind... but somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

Luke Berry
12   Posted 06/02/2011 at 17:03:44

'The most overrated player weve ever had'

That's the kind of over reaction this emotional season has unfortunately produced in us as Evertonians. Arteta was truly inspirational for a period at the end of last season and quite rightly deserved a bigger contract. Evertonians forget what a player he has been in his time here; yes, he has had a terrible season, however, his form will pick up. He showed at times yesterday that he is getting back to somewhere near his better form.

Let's give the whole team encouragement, and try to stay off the players' backs. We maybe haven't as much to play for this season, but it's by no means over and the team needs all the support we can give.

COYB
Stuart O'Malley
13   Posted 06/02/2011 at 17:15:29

Oliver 6 ? "Let's not forget he was apparently looking for a move". On what information do you base that assumption?
Craig Bellew
14   Posted 06/02/2011 at 17:16:16

Fully agree with Oliver.

Since he signed his contract he has been shite, that's been there for all to see, so why are we not allowed to have a pop at one of our STAR PLAYERS when he does'nt fit that billing. It's not as if it has been only a few weeks that we have been carrying him, it's been pretty much all season, with only yesterday showing brief glimpses of what he can do, but still way off what he should be producing for £75k a week.

If fans turn up at GP and pay their hard earned cash to watch our players perform and on a fortnightly basis they don't, we have the right to have a pop, especially when it takes me over 3 years to earn what he does in a week.
Oliver Molloy
15   Posted 06/02/2011 at 17:24:55

13-Stuart... the fact that Moyes and Kenwright said they were both doing their best to persuade him his future was with Everton... to stay and sign a new contract rather than return to Spain, etc etc ? all summer of 2010!!
Andy Codling
16   Posted 06/02/2011 at 17:37:15

"He could most certainly have got more elsewhere but showed a degree of loyalty by staying." no, he was offered vast amounts of money, stop confusing loyalty with someone accepting a ridiculous wage offer. And can you tell me who these mysterious people are who were apparently queuing up to offer Mikel even more money?
Dennis Stevens
17   Posted 06/02/2011 at 17:44:10

I don't think he's been the same player since getting crocked, & he was having trouble delivering from dead-ball situations even before that. The new contract was definitely not merited ? rather like his automatic place in the first XI this season. If people are criticising his performance then the easy answer is for him to get his finger out & improve it. Anyway, I'm sure he's getting no worse stick than Osman has to regularly suffer.
Tony Waring
18   Posted 06/02/2011 at 17:58:56

Anyone who thinks Arteta is overpaid ? and let's remember we are talking about the Premier League which is well know for its excesses ? should have watched Chelsea v RS this afternoon. I shudder to think what their wage bill is and they were absolutely crap from Cech right through to the last man. Until the last 4 minutes of extra time they hardly broke sweat. The stats will tell you they had goal attempts in double figures but I don't think any were actually on target.

Arteta at £75k is a bargain by comparison and yesterday he looked like he's coming back to his old self, which is something all Evertonians should be happy about.

Oliver Molloy
19   Posted 06/02/2011 at 18:07:00

18...Tony who gives a toss about the rest of the Premier League? The two clubs you refer to have more money than us for starters. Even at his best, Arteta, in my opinion, is not worth £75 grand a week.

Answer this question then, since you bring up other teams: Is he better than Fabregas or Nasri? ? because they don't earn the wage he does at present!

Jamie Barlow
20   Posted 06/02/2011 at 18:04:03

Half of you lot on here were screaming for us to award him with a new contract last summer. He isn't having a good season so far but is playing better and better with every passing game, in my opinion.

What do we do with Fellaini? Do we give him what he wants to stay? What if he gets injured and doesn't come back the player he is now? Do we start slagging him and Moyes off for the taking and offering of said contract? It's alright saying Arteta isn't worth what we're paying him but he was before his injury ? and will be again.

Dennis Stevens
21   Posted 06/02/2011 at 18:08:00

Tony, I think you have to bear in mind the context ? ie, Everton's finances as opposed to Chelsea's.

Obviously, when compared to people who do real work rather than kicking a ball about, all of these players are grossly overpaid. However, in the surreal world of top flight professional football, some clubs would comfortably pay Arteta the contract he has ? just to warm the bench.... but, for Everton, he's our top earner at a price we can ill-afford as he currently isn't, and may never again be, our top performer.

Chris Jones
22   Posted 06/02/2011 at 18:13:56

There's an old footy saying that goes, "You're only as good as your last game." Well, yesterday Mikel was excellent. Yes he has been poor overall this season, but Ged's right there are certain players the crowd get on the back of too easily ? I hope Mikel doesn't stay on the 'hit list' too long.
Craig O'Connor
23   Posted 06/02/2011 at 18:14:19

Arteta should have been dropped by Moyes months ago and if required let him have an impact from the subs bench. No-one should be guaranteed a start because that breeds complacency.
Tony J Williams
24   Posted 06/02/2011 at 18:20:13

Andy No 2: £75k should guarantee effort ? I think you are wrong. Getting paid any type of wage should guarantee effort. It's the job you are paid to do.
Paddy Francis
25   Posted 06/02/2011 at 18:25:40

Agree with, Tony (No 18 above) about Chelsea ? we've got a great shout against them in the cup: if the worst RS team in years can beat them easily, so can we on our day.
Danny Burke
26   Posted 06/02/2011 at 18:27:21

Mikel is the most talented player I have seen in an Everton shirt in my time. Yes, he has not lived up to the high standards he has set so far this season... but I have faith in him.

It seems that as Evertonians we always need a player to have a moan at: Hibbert, Osman, Distin, Arteta, Heitinga, Bily, Pip have all endured planty of stick, some warrented, the majortity not.
Andy Crooks
27   Posted 06/02/2011 at 18:28:00

Arteta is a fine player who is out of form. I would never give any player stick at a game, it is utterly unproductive. However, I can understand those who do. At the very least, £75k per week should guarantee 100% effort.
Jon Cox
28   Posted 06/02/2011 at 18:19:29

A lot of people have used the word 'overrated' for Arteta. Having watched today's game at the Bridge and seen Torres play, I realised what the word 'overrated' truly means.
Damien Kennedy
29   Posted 06/02/2011 at 18:39:30

Andy (9) ? Have a serious word with yourself!!!
Oliver Molloy
30   Posted 06/02/2011 at 19:01:15

20...Jamie...
The simple fact is.... We should do everything we can to keep the big man because he is growing into the toughest league in the world and, barring serious injury, he will be the best. We already know he is a top performer and is still learning. So, we give him WHAT WE CAN AFFORD to pay him.

Fellaini will want at least parity with Arteta at the very least, and this is the hole the club now finds itself in. But I believe unless the club is sold, and as Moyes has already said, that we can show a player like Fellaini that there is money to buy, it will be a hard task to hold on to him. These guys want to win trophies and play against the best.... Even if we do find a buyer it will be tough because of wages. Fellaini signed for us because he knew it was a very good career move for him and of course the simple matter of trebling his wage packet he was on at SL... He is the closest thing I have seen to Patrick Vierra when he was in his prime and is only 22.

All the top clubs like Fellaini; if the worst happens, I'd bet there will be quite a bit of interest for his services. I just hope we are not in the position that we have to sell him!

Nelaj Behajiha
31   Posted 06/02/2011 at 19:05:43

Fans are perfectly entitled to their own opinions as long as they don't abuse other supporters or overly abuse players for their performance. I dislike Arteta because of his continual insistence that he's a good central midfielder: he's not.

I have said for ages that he should be playing in the role that he played earlier in his career at Everton ? on the wings. It was there where people noticed his talents not his performances in central midfield. Ged, if everybody has your belligerent view, going to the match would be boring. We pay our hard-earned cash and are enititled to our opinion at least. Arteta is on huge wages while many of us are not; we expect for him to justify his huge wages. All this bullshit about how you should sit down, shut up, politely clap opposition players and never boo is ruining the game ? the customer's always right.

Abusive content removed by moderator

Oliver Molloy
32   Posted 06/02/2011 at 19:20:28

31...Nelaj:
Excuse me if you think I'm being rude but I'm having a right laugh at the way you put things!!.. Very very funny post.
Max Main
33   Posted 06/02/2011 at 19:28:23

Can't believe I didn't post the link. What a dipshit.

Andy Hegan
34   Posted 06/02/2011 at 19:28:39

Damien (#29). Meaning?
Ian Kearney
35   Posted 06/02/2011 at 19:36:22

Couldn't agree more, Ged, a section seemed delighted at his first real dip in form for us, and couldn't wait to throw the boot in, some of the names I've heard him called this season have been disgusting.

His form is starting to come back, but this is probably the same group of people who where hurling disgusting abuse at Fellaini in his first season.
Oliver Molloy
36   Posted 06/02/2011 at 19:43:34

Hey Max,
Won't open for me ? it says 'this page is no longer available' or something like that.
Max Main
37   Posted 06/02/2011 at 20:01:58

Hmm, works for me. Try Googling: "Daily Mail Mikel Arteta Billionaires". When I Google that phrase it's the first link that comes up.
Kevin Elliott
38   Posted 06/02/2011 at 20:10:39

What short memories some people have.
Seems like only yesterday that everyone was saying that Saha was over the hill.Shit. What the fuck is Moyes playing him for etc etc.
Moyes has stated that Louis needs confidence,and we all saw the result of that yesterday.
Arteta is the same.Get behind him for fuck's sake. He's a class act and you know it.
Call yourself supporters. Tut tut tut.
Andy Codling
39   Posted 06/02/2011 at 20:51:25

Arteta said: "I could have gone somewhere with Champions League football, or a club with a lot of good players, but I really value what we have got here."

Way to big your team mates up, Mikel!
Oliver Molloy
40   Posted 06/02/2011 at 20:49:50

Got it, Max, and after reading it I think Moyes should ask him to take a paycut... seeing it was never about money and all.

Would he have stayed if the club had not given him £75 grand a week? I think we both know the answer to that.

James Martin
41   Posted 06/02/2011 at 21:57:00

Why does Fellaini deserve parity with Arteta? What has he done to show he's worthy of that? Why is Arteta being judged on goals when he is a deep-lying creative playmaker? How many goals does Xavi get or Alonso? Doesn't make them bad players.

Just because Mikel added set-piece goals and attacking flair to his game doesn't mean we have to demand 15 goals from him a season. Fellaini has played quite well this season, not earth-shakingly magnificent as most people seem to think. The fact is we've struggled for goals and conceded frequently, so he can't be playing that well.

How many goals has he scored from the defensive midfield position? Everyone seems to have forgotten his ridiculous red cards and the amount of points they cost us in previous seasons. Judge him for what he is, a young player starting to fill what could be great potential and in good form this season.

Arteta, along with Cahill, has carried this side for about the past 4 or 5 years. His set pieces, whilst they have deteriorated after his injury, were once a source of plentiful goals whilst his overall play was mesmerising at certain points. I'll never forget that cup tie against Aston Villa when he marshalled a team containing Anichebe and Gosling on the wings with only Cahill up front to destroy a very good Villa side.

He's stayed loyal when he could have easily left, takes responsibility on himself for set pieces and penalties even now, in the face of overly harsh criticism, and still shows for the ball even in games this season where he hasn't been able to make a 1-yard pass. Fellaini has spent 2 seasons doing very little except getting sent off and now that he's playing half-decent everyone has him in a god-like aura.

Mark Wayman
42   Posted 06/02/2011 at 21:53:31

I think Arteta has played better the past three games. I don't believe he does enough in the centre - I also believe we are weak in that position with or without him.

I have been far from impressed with his performances this season, but to completely write him off after six poor months is ridiculous.

Rodwell hasn't been great this season, played all over the middle, had a lengthy injury and over the past two weeks people had decided that he was never going to be the player we all hoped. He's only 19 and if we put him up for sale tomorrow I bet there would be a lot of clubs willing to take him off our hands for a decent fee.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and are free to air it, I wish some people would think first though before blowing a gasket (society in general here, not just Evertonians).

Y'know, I was sat behind someone yesterday who started criticising Bily after 40 seconds. I myself am yet to be convinced by Bily but really what does that achieve, he hadn't even done anything and was chasing down a Blackpool defender. Overall he had a decent game, yet this guy criticised everything he did.
Andy Graham
43   Posted 06/02/2011 at 23:02:31

You can tell he's well aware he's been shite and he's trying to make up for it by making sure that he's being seen to be putting in a real shift. Great attitude. He's gone up in my estimation (if he could be any higher). He won't settle for what's going on and is trying to put it right by sheer effort which is all he can do and I'm happy because he will get back in form and when he does, with Felli, Rodders, him, Coleman and possibly a rejuvenated Bily we could have the best midfield in the league.
Andrew Keatley
44   Posted 06/02/2011 at 23:46:50

Agree with Dennis (17); I think he is being limited by a long-standing and persistent groin injury that means that he cannot sprint flat-out. The knock-on effect of this is huge, as it means he is tentative - both in possession and out of it.

He should have been dropped during November/December (when he was hugely disappointing); hopefully he is over the worst of it and his confidence - and fitness - are gradually returning.

Is he worth £75,000 a week? In his best form he is - and the top players' weekly wages are offered in the hope of them being on top form...
Thomas Williams
45   Posted 06/02/2011 at 23:53:59

James Martin jeesh, where have you been for the last 2 years? Fellaini doing very little? Brought over from a foreign country aged 20, wasn't afforded any time to settle in, due to poor start/injuries, suffered through over officious referees, placed up front where he had never played before, still scored a fair amount of goals I might add .

Season 2 was brilliant until that Greek bastard near crippled him; he came back this season having spent as much time off as Arteta and continues his good form.

We all like and have our favourite players and Arteta has been a good player for us, but currently this season ? and we are in February not Aug/Sept ? he has been woeful and does not warrant a place in the side. What he earns each week is actually irrelevant, most people in the work place don't actually perform better following a pay rise, so how should footballers be any different.

You don't like Fellaini, fair enough, your prerogative, but you will find he is by far our most prized asset. I fear we will find that out in the summer.

Ben Joyce
46   Posted 07/02/2011 at 06:00:31

Arteta: the most over-rated player we've had?

Obviously every blue is entitled to their opinion... but is that a joke???

Yes, he's having a below (his) par season this year but all his criticism is a tad much, not to mention the hate campaign thats grown waiting for him to make a mistake!

Not long ago, the ground (home and away) had his song echoing around it... people on suicide watch when he got injured and missed the derby.

I was also at the game away at Newcastle when he got stretchered off with a cruciate ligament injury. (meaning he was out for the season, therefore going to miss the rest of the FA Cup run) the place was like a morgue!!

Get behind him, he doesn't mean to fuck up... pains me to say, not even the Mancs or Kopites are that fickle with their STAR players when they are playing shite i.e., with Rooney or Gerrard.
Anthony Hughes
47   Posted 07/02/2011 at 10:04:20

Arteta had had a poor season but there's no doubting he's one of our most talented players. Yes, he probably isn't as good as the very best players in the world in his position but down the years he's done a very good for us.

Fellaini, again has played really well for us since he's been here but he also doesn't warrant the revered status some fans hold him in. A very good player again, no doubt, but not the earth shattering, box-to-box superstar some would believe he is.

Shaun Kinnair
48   Posted 07/02/2011 at 10:31:22

Some of you guys have a very short memory. How many times has Arteta been player of the year for us, supporters player of the year, how many??? Unlike Lescott, Peanut, etc... who've gone to other clubs he's stayed, give the man a break.

How many times has he stated that he loves the club!! He doesn't want to leave!! He's is still here, while others have left, he's an Everton player, he is one of our own. Yes, he got a new contract, a bigger contract, don't we all look for security in our working lives, if we were offered bigger wages would we take it.

Yes, he's not having a great season but for all great past seasons he's given us, shouldn't we at least support the little Spanish wizard who's given so much in the past through this bad time he's having. He's never said a bad word against Everton, he's never spat his dummy out in the past, that's why we have loved him in the past.

Are we that fickle.... Please let's get behind this guy, if he was your son playing football would you pull him down from the touch line. Do you really think it'll restore his confidence by getting on his back. I for one will be supporting him through this difficult period that every player goes through.

David Price
49   Posted 07/02/2011 at 11:11:30

I was chuffed as well when Arteta signed and then amazed at his poor form. However, he is forming a strong partnership with Fellaini, how the big man still has doubters is baffling. Rodwell had his best game as did Bily ? proof that players need a run of games to build up their performance levels.

Chuffed with Beckford's goal, fair play to the lad, he has a go and not afraid to miss. He could have played it safe and gone for a first touch to steady himself but took a chance and lashed it home. That seems to be his strength that we need to play to as well, back to goal, holding play he has a lot to learn but facing goal with the ball in front of him, he is a definite threat.

Colin Malone
50   Posted 07/02/2011 at 11:48:56

Mikel Arteta is a class player. We are a better side when we play the five in midfield, you certainly see a better Mikel Arteta. Saturday's match we saw Felliani patrolling the holding position, which gave Arteta more room.

If you'd watch the Chelsea match, Lampard is going through same dip in form. WHY? he is a better player in a five-man midfield... 3 midfielderS and 3 forwards FFS, the Chelsea boss should be shot for that formation.
David Chait
51   Posted 07/02/2011 at 12:14:59

Ridiculous that anyone can have a go at Arteta... first Cahill, now this. Is no-one worthy of loyalty and respect? (I do believe this is the minority of fans.)

Yes, Arteta has not been his best, but is getting there... he might have been wary to go all guns blazing due to his injuries... but that will come.

Under-rated ? the player who pulled the rest of the team up by their bootlaces... footballer of the year at least twice to my memory. Who at his peak deserves to be in the best National side in the world. A humble Everton loving guy who wants nothing more than for Everton to break the ceiling. The man is class, as a player and a person! Unbelievable.
Anthony Fox
52   Posted 07/02/2011 at 12:21:53

Same old Everton story... Whoever costs the most money or is on the highest wages gets the stick. That's why we had to put up with 30 thousand people saying Fellaini was shite when he first signed before anyone had even given him a chance.

Supporters are meant to get behind their players not slate them cos they are pissed off cos they earn £75k a week. There's a load of shite across the park that's on more money than him. Time to get over the fact the players get paid silly money and support your players.

Shaun Kinnair
53   Posted 07/02/2011 at 12:34:44

Well said, Anthony (50). All players have a bad patch, Torres in the World Cup was dire, Lampard this season, even Rooney had a bad patch, all players do. We should look at the many good years service Arteta has given us and get behind the guy, all this stick doesn't help him or Everton. We are supporters, so let's support him through this bad patch. I for one will be!!
Norman Merrill
54   Posted 07/02/2011 at 12:24:00

Thomas Williams com 44,
Well said mate, could not have put it better myself, some fans find it easier to defend the players they like, by making stupid remarks about others.
Howard Don
55   Posted 07/02/2011 at 14:11:39

Spot on Antony (50). Arteta is improving I think, flashes of his old self on Saturday, driving forward on occasions. You can't buy form, doesn't matter how much you pay all players have bad periods. Also rans at West Ham are on £70,000 plus and Arteta could have got it elsewhere but chose to stay with us. Hardley a person on here would have argued with that decision 6 months ago.
James Martin
56   Posted 07/02/2011 at 19:52:18

I'm not saying I don't like Fellaini, I'm just saying he doesn't deserve over exaggerated praise in the same way that Arteta doesn't deserve over exaggerated criticism.
Tim O'Connell
57   Posted 07/02/2011 at 20:58:08

Shaun Kinnair: no; 52 says it all.
Peter Dry
58   Posted 07/02/2011 at 21:15:42

I wonder what the people of Rwanda would think about us earning £15/20k a year? It's funny how no ToffeeWebbers or football fans in general ever compare their own wages with these people, who in some cases are starving.

I wonder what they would say about the taxi driver/postman/policeman etc while they suffer through another day? Maybe something along the lines of, "How many DVD's, shoes and t-shirts do they actually need?"

Footballers wages are ridiculous compared to ours but at least we have a relatively comfortable life. Our wages are ridiculous compared to some people's.

Nelaj Behajiha
59   Posted 07/02/2011 at 22:13:24

I, like many others, just get pissed off with the fact these players get paid huge wages for not doing their job properley. A bit like a painter getting paid for unblocking your sink or to fix the tiles on your roof. Arteta isn't paid to pass the ball sideways and basically put in a pathetic performance, then make some rallying call in the press. No wonder we have so many problems if our players look at him for motivation.
Dennis Stevens
60   Posted 07/02/2011 at 22:26:10

Arteta's wage isn't brought up because it's high - they're all high compared to the real world. The reason is that subsequent to getting crocked, & whilst it's still unclear whether he'll ever be the same player, Arteta has been offered a new contract of the kind a club like Everton can only afford to offer to very few top performers. Hopefully the club's faith in the player will be fully rewarded, otherwise it's a very expensive mistake, especially as it sets a mark for other players to negotiate on.
Joel Webb
61   Posted 08/02/2011 at 10:57:30

Hey guys, where can info on player wages be found? I've tried google but cant find anything I'd consider "reliable"... Is the only source newspaper speculation at the time the deals are made?
Ged Dwyer
62   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:22:26

James Martin No.41

You have summed things up perfectly.
Brilliant !