Most in one game

Midst the euphoria of Saha's 4 ? shoulda been 5 ? goal haul, I wondered what other high scoring in a single game feats by an Everton player are on record?

My own feeble and getting feebler memory is of a cold wet day in the early fifties at Doncaster when Tommy Eglington, our totally one-footed Irish left winger, scored 5 ? and all with his 'wrong' right foot.

So many memories swirling around that I admit may not be exactly correct. Where can I buy a book with those kind of statistics? It might save me from looking like a silly old fool.

Dick Fearon, West Australia     Posted 07/02/2011 at 22:46:57

Comments

Michael Kenrick
1   Posted 08/02/2011 at 14:12:42

You don't really have to look all that far, Dick...

No further than the glories and appropriately faded annals of the ToffeeWeb archives.... and this file entitled Everton Hat-tricks ? which painstakingly records all such individual high-scoring feats by your Blue heroes of today and yesterday.

And indeed it contains this entry:
Sep 27  1952  T Eglington (5) (h)  7-1  Doncaster Rovers        League
Well done, Sir!
Adolf Ng
2   Posted 08/02/2011 at 14:43:40

Michael, ToffeeWeb is really becoming a great data source to know the club's history, esp. more recently periods. You can really consider using the data and info collected ToffeeWeb and publish a book on "Everton from the supporter's perspective".

There is so much invaluable data and info, both empirical and opinion, from fans and various sources throughout the last two decades, and if you put some efforts to edit and re-arrange, it can result in a good book analyzing the characteristics of Everton supporters, as well as their trends of behaviour. It can be an invaluable collection to look at the "other side" of the club's development.

Norman Merrill
3   Posted 08/02/2011 at 14:45:57

Dick, You're so right, yes he did score five in the 7-1 victory at Goodison against Doncaster Rovers.

Tommy, whose autograph I still cherish, played more games for Everton in the second division, than any other player. His daughter used to still come over for home games years after his death.

Norman Merrill
4   Posted 08/02/2011 at 14:51:51

Dick I forgot to mention that Tommy was a member of the Eire team along with capt Peter Farrell, that became the first foreign team to beat England on English soil at Goodison Park in 1949. winning 2-0.
Dave Lynch
5   Posted 08/02/2011 at 15:11:52

More recently didn't big Bob Latchford score 4 or 5 against Coventry in the late 70s and big Joe Royle agaivst Southampton on the 70s.
Chris Keightley
6   Posted 08/02/2011 at 15:19:45

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Cottee score four in a cup match?? About 1990-91??
Paul Foster
7   Posted 08/02/2011 at 15:31:07

Jesus, that Cottee statistic is astonishing.

SIX hat-tricks for a player who never scored more than 13 in a season!

I knew there must've been a reason I loved him.
Damien Kennedy
8   Posted 08/02/2011 at 15:53:24

Didnt we beat Wimbledon 8-0 in a league cup match in the late 70s Latchford got 5 and Dobson 3. Or did my Dad just tell me that because he wouldnt take me (too young) !!
Paul Dewhurst
9   Posted 08/02/2011 at 15:49:44

Dave (5) - latchford scored 4 away at qpr in 76 I'm too young to remember him but saw this game on a repeat a few years ago think he only touched the ball 4 times and all ended in the back of the net
Eugene Ruane
10   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:04:42

I saw Latch get 4 at QPR (away) and saw Royle get four against..um...Southampton (I think...all a bit of a blur now)
Dave Lynch
11   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:13:25

We beat Coventry 7-0 at Goodison and the Latch got at least 4 I think.
Trevor Lynes
12   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:21:33

I well remember us losing to Spurs 10-4 and Jimmy Harris scored all our goals !!
Trevor Lynes
13   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:23:22

I well remember a very poor EFC side in which Farrell and Eggo played... relegated in 1950 for three miserable years before swapping places with Liverpool in 1953. I watched a very old Tommy Lawton playing for Notts County when they turned us over at Goodison 4-1 and he was a constant danger even then...

The team I remember was Sagar, Meagan and Greenhalgh, Farrell, Jones and Lello with a forward line of Buckle, Fielding, Catterick, Potts and Eglington (a pretty poor bunch)... Some guy named Oscar Hold also played up front on occasion..

Tony Waring
14   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:28:55

Trevor I remember that Spurs game at White Hart Lane. Not many players score 4 goals away from home and end up on the losing side. Then again that's Everton for you.

I saw the game against Doncaster when Eggo scored 5 and in the back of my mind I feel sure there was another thumping victory against Barnsley I seem to remember around about the same time. Maybe someone can remind me of it.

Ray Roche
15   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:32:39

Tony Waring, Trevor Lynes:
I'm sure you both remember an American cop series called Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford which used the catch line "10-4" whenever they were talking on their radios. I seem to think we took some stick for long enough after that result with Koppites et al shouting "10-4" at us!
Tom Bowers
16   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:38:40

When Royle scored 4 it was against Southampton and I believe the score was 9-3. There was also a game against WBA at the Hawthornes when Alan Ball scored 4 in a 6-2 win which wast he same season we lost to Albion in the FA Cup Final and couldn't score.
Ray Robinson
17   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:43:00

Dave Lynch(11), it was 6-0 actually. Latchford got 3.

Royle got 4 against Southampton when we won 8-0 in 71/72, Latchford got 5 gainst Wimbledon in 78/79 when we won 8-0 and Sharpy got 4 when we beat Souhampton away 4-0 in 87/88. Think Cottee may have scored 4 in some sort of mickey mouse cup (Simod?). Not old enough to remember the 10-4 defeat gainst Spurs!
Eugene Ruane
18   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:50:41

9-3?

Jesus my memory is fucked.

Did we ever beat Saints 8-0?

I seem to remember a game when my mate didn't go and we won 8-0

(or was it 6-0?....Or was it West Ham?...)
Michael Kenrick
19   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:55:43

Click the link, Eugene ? they're all in there...
Ray Roche
20   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:52:15

Tom, The score was 8-0 with David Johnson getting a hat-trick and Bally the other. Ball was sold a month later.

We beat Cardiff 8-3 in 1962, they were relegated finishing one place above...Chelsea, who finished bottom. How fortunes have changed,eh?

Eugene Ruane
21   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:54:49

Cheers Ray!

(phew!)
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
22   Posted 08/02/2011 at 16:56:12

Adolf... a book? Err... I think the book as we know it is on a downward spiral.

But maybe then we could generate an eBook so people could read it online.

Hang on a minute....
Mike Hughes
23   Posted 08/02/2011 at 17:31:32

Without looking in a reference book, didn't we beat Wimbledon 8-0 in a Cup match late 70's / early 80's ?

Or did I dream that? If so, I also dreamt that Big Bob Latchford scored 5.
Mike Hughes
24   Posted 08/02/2011 at 17:35:13

Damien @ #8 - sorry just saw your post which was same as mine at #23.

Martin Dobson - whatever happened to him? I thought he was great when I was a kid. He had the early version of the Fellaini haircut as I recall.
Colin Potter
25   Posted 08/02/2011 at 18:03:13

Didn't we beat Plymouth 8 or 9-3 in the 60's. Dave Hickson used to have a right old tussle with their centre half every time we played them. Can't remember his name, but he was a right bruiser.
That should be 50's not 60's.
Trevor Lynes
26   Posted 08/02/2011 at 18:56:04

That defeat by Notts County I mentioned was incorrect... it was 5-1 and Lawton played a blinder against us I actually played for Southport in the old Div 3 North and in my first game I marked Eddie Wainwright who was an Everton player when I was a kid. Wainwright was playing for Rochdale with another ex-Everton player, Jackie Grant, playing wing half. Southport lost two-nil and Frank Lord scored both goals.

I can also remember PNE beating Liverpool 5-1 at Anfield the season they were relegated and Tom Finney missed a penalty for Preston.

I must admit that in those halcyon days the crowd at derby games was not segregated and I've had some of my best laughs at the banter between both sets of fans, and that's with over 70,000 in Goodison.

Tony Waring
27   Posted 08/02/2011 at 19:04:06

Colin #25 - was his name Chisholm, one of the first footballers to sport a beard?

Didn't we also hammer Chelsea 8-0 in torrential rain back in the 60s.......?

Gavin Ramejkis
28   Posted 08/02/2011 at 19:42:58

Mike #24, I know Martin Dobson was at Burnley, Wikipedia says he took charge after Owen Coyle left and was kept on Brian Laws' backroom staff but was said to be taking over Director of Youth Development there.
Mike Hughes
29   Posted 08/02/2011 at 19:57:14

Thanks Gavin #28 - he's very low profile Martin Dobson. Maybe only visible in Burnley. I think we signed him from there as well.
Gavin Ramejkis
30   Posted 08/02/2011 at 19:55:54

He is indeed Director of Youth Development Mike - http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/WhosWho/
Dick Fearon
31   Posted 08/02/2011 at 20:03:08

The evening of our 10-4 thrashing at the hands of Spurs I took my soon to be wife, already a bluenose, to the Empire. On stage the comedian asked if there was any Evertonians in the audience then imitated actor Broderick Crawford with the 10 - 4 call signal.

The theatre erupted into a mixture of cheers and catcalls.

Matteo Rosingana
32   Posted 08/02/2011 at 20:57:14

Again without looking, didn't Gary Speed get a 4-haul against Southampton in a game at Goodison?
Paul Dewhurst
33   Posted 08/02/2011 at 22:31:35

Matteo 32 - Speed scored a hatrick that day - He also missed a sitter early in the game which led me to shout out " YOU COULD NOT HIT WATER IF YOU FELL OUT OF A BOAT" I tried shouting it at the following week but it did not result in another hatrick
Steve Green
34   Posted 08/02/2011 at 23:20:40

Damien @ #8, Yes we did and I do think Latch scored 5, Dobo maybe 3 and Kingy about 1.

I managed to get my girlfriend of the time to 3 matches during that era, Dukla Prague, Feyenord and err... Wimbledon! Don't know why.

Steve Green
35   Posted 08/02/2011 at 23:25:39

Dick - www.evertonresults.com is a brilliant site.

When your mind and memory starts playing up you can go to it and realise that whilst you can't remeber what the missus said 2 days ago - and boy doesn't she let you know it - you aren't altogether senile because the memories and exact detail from 30 or 40 years ago are confirmed on the site for you.

It's a fuckin brilliant confidence booster in the did I / didn't I stakes with the missus as you realise you aren't as bad as she insists.

And if you wanted it in hard copy, E-Bay and Amazon regularly have the official history books available. Sorry cant recall their exact title but they are there if you have a browse. Any difficulties, get back on and I will find the exact title for you.

Richard Dodd
36   Posted 09/02/2011 at 11:28:07

Dick, sorry to be a pedant, but only if the disallowed goal had come after all the others would Saha have scored five. The whole pattern of the game would have changed if that `goal` had counted. Who knows, we might even have lost!
Norman Merrill
37   Posted 09/02/2011 at 12:25:04

Colin (#25) ? I think the name of the Plymouth centre half was Chisholm and he had a black beard, a right bruiser.

Davie, had some right handfuls, Chisholm, Noble of Rotherham, and the crew at Bolton Barrass & Higgins.

David Booth
38   Posted 09/02/2011 at 13:08:20

Interesting to see fellow Evertonians recounting tales of great goal-scoring derring-do from our boys.

I remember one fabulous game in my first season as a season ticket holder back in the early seventies when we thrashed Southampton 8-0.

At the time, I was at college (and lived just a few miles from Old Trafford), so money was tight and along with some mates I used to walk back to Lime Street and bunk a train home after the match.

On this occasion it was pouring with rain and all along the way people kept shouting to ask us the score. Our instant and excited response of "We won eight nil!" got more than a few typically sarcastic and disbelieving replies, as you can imagine - as Everton were simply hopeless at the time.

But the last laugh was on us and I've never enjoyed reading the Football Echo (remember that great publication), as much. I can still remember the scoreboard today at the end of the match: 7, 9, 7, 9, 8, 9, 9, 7 (Johnson, Royle, Johnson, Royle, Ball, Royle, Royle, Johnson).

Happy days... but little did I know that the likes of Rod Belfitt (he was SO useless), Bernie Wright, 'Tiger' McLaughlin and Jim Pearson were soon to follow!
David Price
39   Posted 09/02/2011 at 14:24:45

What about the cup 2nd replay at Sheffield Wednesday. 5-0 up at half-time, did Sharpy get 4? Remember driving through the fog over Snake Pass to get home. Well scary.
Richard Tarleton
40   Posted 09/02/2011 at 16:46:37

Colin Potter, it was Cardiff, but the greatest moment for an old blue was Temple's goal to win the 1966 Cup Final. 2-0 down, Trebilcock's two goals, the Everton end singing "Attack, Attack, Attack".

Their defender, Young, fails to control the ball just inside their half, Temple swoops, that long run, it went on for ever... Springett, a top England goalie, and then Temple cooly places it in the corner.

Never ? and I was there in Munich in 85 ? was a goal greeted with such a roar. After 33 years, the FA Cup was ours and in those days the cup meant something.

Colin Potter
41   Posted 09/02/2011 at 18:09:46

Thanks, Tony Waring and Norman Merrill, Chisholm it was!

Who was City's centre-half in the 50s? He was another big bruiser who gave Davey a bit of a hard time.

Richard, I was right behind that goal in 66, and what a sight to see Temple thundering down on the goal!! My eldest lad was born 3 weeks to the day after Wembley, and his name is Derek Temple Trebilcock. Happy, Happy Days!!

John McFarlane [Senior]
42   Posted 09/02/2011 at 18:41:09

Norman (#4) ? although Peter Farrell played and scored in the game against England in 1949, Tommy Eglington didn't; another Everton winger, Peter Corr, did however feature in that fixture.

Trevor (#12) ? Jimmy Harris actually scored a hat-trick in the 10-4 defeat at White Hart Lane, the other goal coming from Bobby Collins.

John Willie Parker scored 4 goals against Plymouth Argyle in an 8-4 victory in our promotion season of 1954.

Colin (#41) ? I believe the City centre-half you refer to was Dave Ewing.

Peter Dry
43   Posted 09/02/2011 at 21:35:21

Doddy (#36). I see where you're coming from. It reminds me of a short story we did in school called 'Days of Thunder' (I think) about a time traveller who goes back in time hundreds of years but is told NOT to touch anything in case it affects future events. When he leaves his time travelling machine, he accidently loses balance and stands on a flower squashing it, thinks no more about it and returns to the future. On returning, everything's the same except they are speaking a different language.

I think you've stumbled across something interesting here. If Liverpool didn't get Shankly they still might be in the 2nd division or Championship, we mightn't've been banned from Europe and then gone on to win European Cups and more league titles and be the biggest club in world football. But then maybe if we weren't so shit and in Liverpool's shadow around February 1980, my dad mightn't've found solace in a quick shag and I might never of been conceived.

Ernie Baywood
44   Posted 10/02/2011 at 10:39:19

Steve Watson's hat trick v Leeds deserves a bit of a mention. He may have filled in up top that day but he was a defender by trade.

Big hauls by defenders. Is that another thread?
John McFarlane [Senior]
45   Posted 10/02/2011 at 13:43:01

Ernie #44 ? Attending Goodison since 1948 as a 10-year-old, and being educated by an uncle whose knowledge of all things Everton was second to none... His appreciation of Tommy White's playing career prompted me to do a little research.

I discovered that Tommy made 204 League, FA Cup and Charity Shield appearances, 117 as right-half / centre-half / left-half and 87 as inside-right / centre-forward / inside-left, scoring a total of 66 goals. It may well be that there is someone with a more impressive record but I really doubt it.

I admit that the vast majority of his goals would have been scored while he was operating as a forward but, for someone who started out as a centre-half and played over 50% of his Everton games as a defender, his record is remarkable. He received his sole England cap in a 1-1 draw with Italy in Rome in 1933 at centre-half.

I accept that Everton have had many versatile players, most notably Sandy Brown and Brian Harris in recent years, but I still feel that Tommy White's exploits in six different positions, and his 66 goals in 87 forward positions is worthy of acknowledgement.

Colin Potter
46   Posted 10/02/2011 at 16:02:17

Thanks John Mcfarlane (senior). We're the same age, but your memory is far superior to mine. I can remember seeing "Dixie" at South Liverpool's ground in maybe 46, 47, or 48. Can you? It ended up 4-0 for an old Everton side against an old Liverpool side. "Dixie" played just in first half.
John McFarlane [Senior]
47   Posted 12/02/2011 at 11:35:15

Colin (#47) ? I remember the game you refer to but living in the north of the city (Everton Road) I did not get to see it.

It was an ex-Everton v ex-Liverpool eleven, I thought it was a 5-2 win for Everton but I wouldn't put money on it.

I recall my brother who is five years older than me, ribbing his Liverpudlian friends by saying that Dixie scored a couple of goals then nipped off at half-time for a pint.

I have no doubt that there will be a ToffeeWebber who can put us right regarding the finer details. Time sometimes plays tricks on the memory so there is every chance that you are correct in your scoreline, my apologies if this is the case.