Why only one Jack?

I can't help but notice that Fabio Cappello, our dearly beloved England manager, has once again selected young Jack Wiltshire of Arsenal as his new shining light for the friendly against Denmark but not the other Jack ? our Jack Rodwell. Why is that?

My understanding is that these two are roughly the same age, have both come through the England Youth ranks together and are both (equally) considered as future shining lights in the game. Yet one always seems to make Mr Cappuccino froth around the mouth whilst the other gets nowhere near as much media attention and accolades. Is it me, as an Evertonian just showing my "bitter" side or is there any plausible reason behind this omission (yet again) from the England senior squad?

In my opinion, Jack of the North is just as good as Jack of the South... yet Jack of the North never seems to get equal recognition by those who make the decisions down south. Who said the north/south divide was from a forgotten era?

Matthew Mackey, Solihull, England     Posted 08/02/2011 at 17:02:07

Comments

Harry Reynalds
1   Posted 08/02/2011 at 19:42:56

Possibly because, during this season at least, Wilshere has been playing better and played more games for a side higher in the table and much more fashionable than us?
Gareth Humphreys
2   Posted 08/02/2011 at 19:50:10

See what Harry said apart from "for a side higher in the table and much more fashionable than us" as I don't think that has anything to do with it.
David Thomas
3   Posted 08/02/2011 at 19:49:51

Simply because Wilshere has performed better than Rodwell this season.
Dick Anderson
4   Posted 08/02/2011 at 19:50:02

Personally I think Jack Rodwell has been indifferent with his form this season.

I think he needs to settle on a position and get a good run under his belt.

I think the mix of being a substitute, an attacking midfielder, a defensive midfielder while also being told he might be a defender is stunting his development. The niggling injuries arent helping either.

But yeah I think Wilshire is good value for his call up while Rodwell hasnt quite hit the heights he hope he will be able to later in his career.
Brian Garside
5   Posted 08/02/2011 at 20:06:10

It´s fine by me.
We don´t want him knackered. Keep him fresh for us. He will be called up, of that there can be no doubt. He will outshine Jack of the saaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrffffffffff and become his captain. I just hope that when it comes to pass JR is still one of us.
Richard Porter
6   Posted 08/02/2011 at 20:14:04

Brian: "We don't want him knackered"

Well, he went off injured in the Under-21s game this afternoon, so that might be too much to hope for...
Max Main
7   Posted 08/02/2011 at 20:16:43

He's not as good as Wilshere.

Maybe one day.
Andrew Lawrenson
8   Posted 08/02/2011 at 20:39:09

He needs to start fulfilling his obvious potential... and this season he has gone slightly backwards.
Brian Waring
9   Posted 08/02/2011 at 20:51:45

No brainer really. Wilshire at the moment is far better than Rodwell.
Dick Anderson
10   Posted 08/02/2011 at 20:56:02

At the moment Wilshire is having a far better season then Rodwell whose form has been indifferent so far.

Rodwell, Wilshire and Josh McEachran are the future of England though.
Anthony Fox
11   Posted 08/02/2011 at 21:10:31

More to do with the fact he has simply played less and had less of a chance, through injury and also Moyes throwing him on with 2 mins left on the clock and not 25!! The lad is starting to get left behind slightly. My worry is what does this all lead to in the summer.
Peter Warren
12   Posted 08/02/2011 at 21:28:47

Wilshire oozes class and has been playing fabulous football. Rodwell has potential and people are still unsure of his correct position. Playing in the Cahill role as he does currently doesn't cut it for me.
Dick Anderson
13   Posted 08/02/2011 at 21:24:29

Rodwell is getting left behind? Thats so funny.

Rodwell is just 19 years old and already he has made 81 appearances for Everton. How exactly is he being left behind?

You want to talk about potentially great kids being left behind, look no further then Jose Baxter.

Baxter is 19 and has only made 11 appearances for Everton.

Or Shane Duffy who is also 19 but has only made 2 appearances for Everton.
Dan McKie
14   Posted 08/02/2011 at 21:32:40

Am I the only Evertonian still waiting for this so-called £20 million player to show up in Rodwell, or even so much as a hint of it? I'm still of the opinion that we should have bitten anybody's hands off that was willing to pay anywhere near that amount last summer.
Jamie Barlow
15   Posted 08/02/2011 at 21:47:24

I'd rather he didn't get picked at all. Injured after 15 minutes in a meaningless game. Waste of time.
Ian Edwards
16   Posted 08/02/2011 at 22:00:08

I read a Henry Winter article recently. He was at a dinner with Capello. Capello was asked about Rodwell and he just shook his head. Doesn't rate him.
Dick Anderson
17   Posted 08/02/2011 at 22:05:59

Lets face it. On his form this season...Rodwell doesn't deserve an England Call up.
Paddy Francis
18   Posted 08/02/2011 at 23:19:11

Rodwell doesn't need nor does he deserve the plaudits that certain Evertonians have heaped upon him. "Future England captain" etc. He's a big lad with a good turn of pace and not bad vision, but there's a reason he's a fringe player at a team in the bottom half - i.e. us.
Steve Edwards
19   Posted 09/02/2011 at 00:04:47

Good ? I don't give a shite if he ever plays for Engerland. Let Wilshire get injured playing for them while Arsenal pay his wages.

I can't get my head around this international shite. For me the days of being a nationalist are well and truly over. As a Scouser I am well aware of the utter contempt that we are held in throughout this country. If you're not it's about time you woke up and smelt the coffee.
Eric Myles
20   Posted 09/02/2011 at 01:53:50

Anthony #11, it will lead to a reduced fee when we sell him in the summer unless he has a stormer the remainder of the season.
Paul Olsen
21   Posted 09/02/2011 at 06:52:58

Awww, let's not start picking on Jack Rodwell...

Anyone but the youngsters please, Jack has improved in recent weeks and I'm sure he will play really well until the end of the season provided he stays injury free. Remember he started this season with his worst injury yet; have some patience with the lad as he showed plenty of promise last season and is now slowly coming back to that form.
David Chait
22   Posted 09/02/2011 at 07:04:39

Come on... Rodwell given games begins to look the part... and Wilshere is getting games...

I have seen nothing in Wilshere to say he should be given an England berth. Rodwell I felt had done more.

I have said it before ? Moyes is stunting Rodwell's growth... he needs games.
Chad Schofield
23   Posted 09/02/2011 at 07:18:19

I agree Paul Olsen. Jack sustained a preetty nasty injury around September hence the limited opportunities.

Frankly I'd sooner see him out of the media spotlight and performing for us than being lauded and fauned over by various arseholes who earnestly question whether he's 'too big for Everton'.
Lee Armstrong
24   Posted 09/02/2011 at 08:18:43

Comparing Rodwell to Wilshere is a little unfair... they both have an awful lot to their game and will arguably line-up together for England eventually, but Wilshere regularly playing in a midfield of players that are all good on the ball in a winning environment is a far cry from the position Rodwell currently finds himself in unfortunately.

He seems neat and tidy at times and over the last couple of games has just started to get some confidence back resulting in him getting on the ball in advanced positions and we begin to see that he is an awful lot more than a neat and tidy central midfielder.

Give the kid some time, there is no doubt he will be a star... eventually. Look at Huddlestone at Spurs, he was looking for a move 18 months ago as he couldn't cut it. Now looking every bit like a world-beater. He is just 23.

Mitchell Wilton
25   Posted 09/02/2011 at 09:08:09

I wouldn't want his name tarnished by the perpetual disapointment of the national team.

Keep him away from that pressure and expectations and let him develop.
Anthony Fox
26   Posted 09/02/2011 at 09:34:36

Dick Anderson 17 ? You did notice I put the word "slightly" after the left behind bit. With due repsect to the other players you mentioned, I think if you asked anyone at Everton, then Jack is by far the one who has been tipped to play at the highest level.

My explanation for him being left behind slightly is that fact that after injury he has found it hard to be given a chance again by Moyes (until the last 2 games) even though our team has been on a terrible run. I hate a player trying to get his form back or given a chance coming on with 2 or 3 mins left to go.

You have the likes of Whilshire who is given the chance to play in a very good Arsenal side. Then there is the lad Jordan Henderson up at Sundeerland who is playing every week.

I used to think Moyes gave youngsters the chance to blossom but sometimes I think it has only been as he has been forced into it because of injury to our very small squad. I just hope the lad doesn't become too frustrated. Do you not remember the same being done to Rooney with him being left out to "protect him". He signs for Man Utd and plays every game...

KPR Williams
27   Posted 09/02/2011 at 10:01:05

Personally I'd quite like all our squad to retire from international football, maintain their fitness, prolong their careers and concentrate on making Everton a better team. It's not as if they will ever win anything playing for their national teams is it? Plus the fact it's tap-up heaven.
Matthew Mackey
28   Posted 09/02/2011 at 12:03:14

As the original writer of this article, I have to say I agree with a lot of the comments made here. That Wiltshire plays in a good team at the top of the PL with good players around him certainly aids his development whilst our Jack perhaps doesn't have such luxuries and hence his performances are a little erratic at times.

But the point I was trying to make was this: As the England senior team were playing just another unnecessary friendly, why stuff the team full of the old guard that basically let us all down last summer in South Africa?

And as our Jack was selected to play in the U-21s last night, why not just select him for the senior team instead? Let him make his debut alongside players that a lot of you would consider better than ours and then see how he performs. Isn't that the whole point of a friendly rather than the same old same old that fans are growing tired of watching?

If you are going to select him then select him for the senior squad as we all know what he can do in the U-21s already.

Jamie Rowland
29   Posted 09/02/2011 at 13:16:53

SImple - our Jack is not the player we make him out to be (but keep it going so that we can trick someone into giving us millions for him).

He passes side ways, slows down our play (with the exception of the one goal he scored against United). He certainly isn't as good as Fellaini although age wise they aren't that far apart.

He was at fault for the first goal against Arsenal (he should have taken another step backwards).

Jack 'Sideways' Rodwell is what we call him where I sit in the Park End.
Andrew Flanagan
30   Posted 09/02/2011 at 13:31:55

Jamie # 28

Seem to remember him putting a great ball down the channel on Saturday to Baines for Saha's second goal and lobbing the keeper from the edge of the box forcing a great clearence from a Blackpool player. Is this sideways?

Let the kid develop. He's not the finished product by any means but how can you doubt his potential? Get off his back and get behind the players!
Anthony Hughes
31   Posted 09/02/2011 at 13:50:43

At this moment in time Wilshire is a better player and Rodwell hasn't played enough or shown in his general play that he warrants a call up to the full squad. This may come in time but at the moment he isn't one of the best English central midfielders.
Tom Bowers
32   Posted 09/02/2011 at 14:23:53

Wilshire deserves his inclusion. Rodwell is an enigma simply because Moyes has had him as a midfield player when he sometimes looks out of place although last Saturday he played really well.

Also his time out with injury has affected his appearances but I am sure he will get his big chance soon because sooner or later Capello will realise that Lampard, Gerrard, Barry and the likes are no longer good enough and younger hungrier players will be drafted in. Wilshire and Walcott are prime examples.

In any event the Everton international players always seem to get injured when selected so let's not dwell to much on Capello choosing them...

Brian Waring
33   Posted 09/02/2011 at 16:35:11

Rodwell will come good, he just needs a good run of games.

You lads who are saying that Wilshire looks better because he is playing in a good team, doesn't that prove that at this moment in time he is better than Rodwell, because he is standing out in a team of good players?
Mike Oates
34   Posted 09/02/2011 at 17:36:43

Wilshire is the better player at the moment mainly because Rodwell hasn't and isn't playing enough games and also I don't really know if anyone knows his best position.

If he's going to be a class centre half (and that's were the plaudits were talking about), then now is the time to start to play him there and not in 2 years when it will take him another year to learn how to play it, and by which time he will have lost out, England-wise.

My own view is that, given games as a first-choice attacking midfielder, then Jack will come on in leaps and bounds... but not as second choice to either Arteta or Cahill. Fellaini, if he stays, will be the foundation we will build our team on.

Jamie Barlow
35   Posted 09/02/2011 at 18:43:04

Jacks out for 4 to 6 weeks so he won't be getting that run of games yet.
Jamie Rowland
36   Posted 09/02/2011 at 20:27:52

Andrew Flanagan ? I'm not on his back ? I don't boo him, I don't even moan at him ? I appreciate he's still developing but my opinion is he plays across his body and passes sideways.

The article questions why he isn't in the first team for England compared to Wilshere ? and its obvious: Wilshere is more confident, not scared to make mistakes and is always looking to get forward. Our Jack isn't.

And what is this 'potential' bollocks that people rant on about? He doesn't show me anything that Fellaini does and there is a year between them.

Richard Porter
37   Posted 09/02/2011 at 20:48:03

Jamie (36): Jack Rodwell was born in March 1991, Marouane Fellaini in November 1987, how exactly are you defining "a year between them"?
Peter Dry
38   Posted 09/02/2011 at 21:10:58

Just seen Baines come on against Denmark and he looks like a young Kenneth Williams. If that's what playing for England does for you, just stick with Everton, Jack, and keep the skin head.
Jamie Rowland
39   Posted 09/02/2011 at 21:19:47

Apologies there - the year between them relates to pitch appearance. Fellaini is in his third season for us and when he first joined, barring his fouling, he was seen as a reliable midfielder that could (and still does) control the game. Jack doesnt and he's around the same age now as Fellaini was when he joined.

We talk Jack Rodwell up and I hope he does develop to his potential (a term I struggle with as it's subjective). Jack Wilshere is far the better player ? more relaxed, better decision making and a much more skilful player (from what I have seen). Moyes doesn't rate Rodwell as highly as the rest of our midfield... so I really do fail to see why people rave about him so much or why you would think Man U etc are looking at him for a big money move?

I reckon that it's more of a case that the clubs who have dared to enquire have been as bad or worse than Everton FC and that's the reason we haven't cashed in.

You never know though, if the fans keep talking him up the way they do, we might sell him for loads of cash, relieving the burden of debt on the club.

If he did leave, would we miss him?

Ian Smitham
40   Posted 09/02/2011 at 22:24:27

I know it was "only Blackpool" but how strong and athletic did JR look?

Jack and Fella is the future and God help it when they get a run together and destroy the rest of the Premier League. Believe, it will happen. But in the meantime.... sort long, long term contracts.
Anthony Fox
41   Posted 10/02/2011 at 09:36:40

Everyone at Everton is obsessed with this sideways issue. First Arteta now Rodwell... When you play 1 up front and have no out-and-out wingers in the squad, do you just pass forward to no-one for the opposition or run into a load of defenders on your own? You can only pass to where your available players are. Passing to an isolated forward more often than not will lead to losing possession!
Ian Tunstead
42   Posted 10/02/2011 at 11:40:04

Anthony

It's a good point, but a lot of sides play one up front and the top players still manage to make incisive forward passes to split an opposition defence. That is the difference between a good player like Rodwell who keeps possession by only passing sideways and a great player.

I just don?t believe at this moment Rodwell has the vision or awareness to spot a through ball that can change a game or even the range of passing or technical ability to make the pass if he saw it, unlike Jack Wilshere.

Although, for the first time I can remember, Rodwell made an excellent through-ball to Baines against Blackpool which lead to a goal but I would need to see that kind of thing on more than one occasion to prove it wasn?t just a fluke.
Chris Keightley
43   Posted 10/02/2011 at 12:01:17

Err... it's easy ? Wilshere's a far better player!!