The Worst Player.... Ever!

Ok so this is a bold statement but Anichebe is the WORST player I have ever seen play for Everton. I started following Everton in 1994 and how the Cup win of 95' seems an awful long time ago!

There has been some dross up front for us in recent years but this man tops them all! Horrible attitude, horrible touch, no pace and an embarrassing trait of going to ground trying to win a free kick as well ? that's all he can do. Only interested when he thinks he might receive a pass. Just walks around the rest of the time.

Now there are players I don't like watching, like Neville for one, but I support them 110% because they wear an Everton shirt; however, I cannot support Victor Anichebe.

As for Moyes, well what's left to say? The Slow death continues...
James Stewart, Leeds     Posted 13/02/2011 at 18:12:14

Comments

Andrew Conroy
1   Posted 13/02/2011 at 17:57:03

What David Moyes sees in Victor Anichebe is beyond me.
Elgin Joshua
2   Posted 13/02/2011 at 18:08:34

If I ever see Victor on the pitch again!!!

You can be forgiven if you had poor technique. It's alright to have a horrible first touch. It's even ok if you can't hold the ball, but your total lack of respect to the team for not tracking back is unforgivable.

The worst I've ever seen the team play. Ever. Even during Mike Walker's time. This has to be the worst.

Tony Hughes
3   Posted 13/02/2011 at 18:15:09

Anichebe has to be the worst player ever to wear the blue shirt! The black Bernie Wright!!
Tony Cheek
4   Posted 13/02/2011 at 19:12:08

Strange thing was, I was actually feeling sorry for Anichebe towards the end. I think the lad knows that he is out of his depth. He is not, never has been, and never will be a PL player. Yet Moyes gives the lad a contract tying him to us for the next few years. There is not another manager in the PL who would let him near the first eleven.

If we are so short of cash, why was he even considered for a new contract? Before today's game, we might even have got half a mill for him. Now, nobody would even let him sell a programme.

You can just see it coming, a lot of big names are going to leave this summer. Shit creek without a paddle!!!

Mark Kearns
5   Posted 13/02/2011 at 19:50:36

Regarding Anichebe's contract, it was due to expire in the summer ? correct? So, offer him a contract for £25k a week or whatever it was, then look to sell him in the summer for £1 million to a Championship club.

He would have left on a free in the summer anyway and chances are the new contract isn't that much more per week than the old one.

Wishful thinking on my part maybe. Personally I would have been happy to see him leave for free after his performance today.

Roman Sidey
6   Posted 13/02/2011 at 19:55:15

You could actually see the midfielders elect NOT to pass it to Anichebe after about 10 minutes or so. People were on Bily's back when he was in a bit of space in the first half and miffed it, but his options were a) hold it a little longer and try to get a shot away, risking losing possession, or b) pass to Vic...

I guess had he passed it Vic, we at least would have had another 2 or 3 minutes of injury time at the end of the first half.

Moyes this week needs to leave, and whoever is manager next Saturday should play a complete team of reserves, because we need to focus on the League and League alone at the moment.
James Hollister
7   Posted 13/02/2011 at 19:58:23

@ Mark Kearns - Put him on as window dressing for the summer for Championship sides. Only problem is, today he showed just how ineffectual and poor he really is, I'd be surprised if any one in the Championship wanted him.

He is childish and petulant and has no ability at all. People call him strong, because of his build, but he is as lightweight as Osman is.
Mark Kearns
8   Posted 13/02/2011 at 20:11:15

Roman, was just trying to make sense of it. Maybe BK got one of those emails from a Nigerian relative of Big Vic mentioning some sort of lottery win / investment
Roman Sidey
9   Posted 13/02/2011 at 20:15:20

Yeah Mark I know. I was agreeing with you, but elaborating on it a bit.
Jamie Carroll
10   Posted 13/02/2011 at 21:37:04

The fact that Anichebe was FOURTH choice to satart up front for Everton at the start of the season tells you everything about the squad at present.
James McGrady
11   Posted 13/02/2011 at 21:39:32

Cough, cough, Brett Angel?
Peter Rogers
12   Posted 13/02/2011 at 21:36:57

He was bad and i dont rate him at all myself but i can honestly say none of the others looked like they wanted to be there either. I dont blame Moyes but Kenwright and the rest of the muppets need to look at what they have done to our club we need investment but it might just come to late, hope not.
Chris Matheson
13   Posted 13/02/2011 at 21:50:04

Two good responses already pretty much sum up my views.

1 I agree with James McGrady reference worst player ever

and

2 - Kenwright out
Micheal Lynch
14   Posted 13/02/2011 at 21:55:37

Sorry but Vic was bad... but then look at Neville. Remember Vic after half-time at Anfield... played well that day. Think if he was upfront in a 4-4-2 he would be a decent foil for a good striker.
Gavin Ramejkis
15   Posted 13/02/2011 at 21:57:37

He is utterly shite and out of his depth but he didn't write the team sheet or send out proper strikers on loan to get the accounts signed off, DM is forced to play what little he's got and fuck me it really is a little now but Billy Bullshitter has destroyed the club, what little was left is a shadow of a team and a laughing stock.
Ian Edwards
16   Posted 13/02/2011 at 22:00:43

Gavin

Moyes had enough of a squad to have won today. His team selection, tactics and substitutions were shocking. Kenwright has his faults but doesn't pay Moyes a fortune for him to sit on his arse sulking and piss three points up against the wall.

Wasn't Moyes happy with his squad in August?
Andy Crooks
17   Posted 13/02/2011 at 22:02:39

Gavin, I agree with you about Kenwrght but would you not agree that the conniving of David Moyes on a fat contract has kept him where he is. You and I or any supporter cannot hurt Kenwright, David Moyes can. He can remove him with one courageous statement. Unfortunately, he's been bought off.
Joseph Hand
18   Posted 13/02/2011 at 22:05:55

Victor Anichebe makes my blood boil at times. What was all that about when he started punching the floor in anger?

The kid is lazy, shit, and has a bad bad attitude.
Nicholas Harrison
19   Posted 13/02/2011 at 21:55:23

Sounds like a desperate outpouring of emotion, to me. Players who have played well all season like Felli and Baines played poorly today, along with the majority of the team. I thought Arteta, Distin and...erm maybe Howard(?) had decent games. The rest were awful and the blame for that cannot be laid at the door of the manager or the skint board, at least not today.

The main cause of the vitriol aimed at Moyes and the board seems, to me, to be based on the following points:
1. Moyes should be doing better with the current squad.
2. Kenwright and the board have failed to realise areas of growth in revenue.
3. Kenwright appears reluctant to sell up.

Point one becomes void, in my opinion, because Moyes has already worked miracles assembling our 'decent' squad and to have this decent squad out-performing more heavily (or equally) invested teams on and on again is unprecedented in world football. ie, it's extremely hard and, to our knowledge so far, impossible.

Point two may be valid but all I ever hear on here is wild conjecture from people who think millions of Australians and Americans should be buying the shirts of an average premier league team (Everton).

With the release of last year's accounts it appears the board of EFC has/is done all it can feasibly do in the gamble to get Champs League football. They haven't gone overboard in the way Leeds did but they've gone to the very brink to get into that lucrative competition. And who can blame them? Moyes appeared the best candidate to do it on a shoestring budget so it was a worthy gamble. It's like we took a massive leap over a canyon and when it just looked like we'd make it a gust of wind has caught us and now all there is left is to fall or be rescued. As for whether Bill is reluctant to sell up...why has no Billionaire or investor ever complained about this? Steve Morgan complained about Liverpool not wanting to sell to him, are we naive to think that this elusive billionaire wouldn't have just gone public to force the sale?

I was all for hating Kenwright and Moyes but it's dawned on me, we're simply not in the top 10 of the premier league in terms of revenues or investment so we have to accept our lot. No point in hating two men, whom we do not know and, who probably have the best interests of Everton at heart.
Andy Crooks
20   Posted 13/02/2011 at 22:07:10

Also, Alex Nyarko is the worst player ever to wear the blue shirt.Vic is shite but tries now and again.
Anthony Lamb
21   Posted 13/02/2011 at 21:42:40

After over 55 years following Everton, today's display has almost convinced me to stop! Watching this team at present is not good for one's health ? mental or physical! The display, especially in the second half, was nothing short of a disgrace and an affront to those who support the club, let alone those loyal enough to spend monies travelling to support the team.

I have to agree with James. I think Mr Moyes and his coaching team need to be confronted with the challenge to justify their "faith" in players such as Victor Anichebe. Could he kindly identify those features, normally associated with the attacking professional footballer able to play at the top levels, and precisely where we might see evidence of these in Anichebe's current make up?

Anichebe does not award himself contracts; does not determine his own training schedules and certainly does not pick himself in the team. It is beyond comprehension that we have a young man so bereft of even the basic skills, after a significant years of "preparation" chosen to lead the line at Everton.

Whatever the problems with Yakubu and perhaps Vaughan how in the name of all that is sane can Anichebe be the preferred option? Beckford for all his limitations has at least the assets, sadly lacking in Anichebe namely manoeuvrability and enthusiasm!

The same applies to players such as Billyaletdinov. Could those responsible for investing some 9 million pounds ? 9 MILLION POUNDS ? in this player kindly tell us that, of all the players available in the UK never mind the whole of Europe (the world??), why they opted for the Russian?

There can be few weaker, slower, more tactically ill-disciplined players seen at Everton for many a year ? who even gets himself pulled up for the now unheard of "foul throw-in"!

And finally I hope Mr Moyes and Saha sat down and took note of a centre-forward blessed with far less ability than Saha (Davies) who showed this malingerer of an Everton centre-forward what real professional commitment is all about.

With few exceptions (Baines?) this was an utterly abject performance which brings nothing but shame on the whole sorry mess that appears to be Everton Football Club at present.

James Royston
22   Posted 13/02/2011 at 22:04:37

True Anichibe is just not PL in attitude or ability. He can only have been given a contract to avoid the Gosling situation & try to get some sort of a fee for him from someone in the future?? God knows who??... Can we get the Yak back or is he on loan for the rest of the season.....We need nine points to be safe ( what terrible way to be thinking at this time of the season) but will we get them?? far from certain. Is the manager still up for it. He is acting as if he is in his last few months at best (PLEASE), appearing to have totally lost any entuhusiasm. It would not surprise me to see him go at anytime & Phil Neville installed as a caretaker. Could be why he did not push to go to Spurs...
John Ford
23   Posted 13/02/2011 at 22:05:06

If you analyse Anichebe's preferred style its immediately obvious why he is so poor up front.

With back to goal receiving the ball he'll always tense his body and spread himself looking for a physical contest ...every time the ball comes to him...he even backs into the defender until contact is made, then does this rigid body thing.

Even when its possible he never tries to move quickly out to receive the ball and gain a yard.

How can he possibly control/lay off /run with the ball when his body is basically in a spasm.....stiff and wooden, he then gives the ball away in a 50 50 ...consistently.

Of course he also has no vision, cant see a pass and moans like a child.

Dick Anderson
24   Posted 13/02/2011 at 22:34:50

I dont know if Anichebe is the worst player ever but he's certainly the worst striker Everton have had in recent years.

Of course thats assuming we classify him as a striker. His strike rate is so poor its difficult to call him a striker.

Dick Anderson
25   Posted 13/02/2011 at 22:36:56

A good arugument is whether or not this is the worst team of strikers ever assembled at Everton?

The first thing that strikes me is that the entire strike force cost absolutely nothing. Chelsea have a £50 million striker. Liverpool just bought two strikers for over £40 million.

Everton Strikers = £0

Saha
Free Transfer. Great on his day but so injury prone its impossible to rely on him.

Anichebe
Youth Product. Big, lumbering, lazy, bad touch, terrible striker rate.

Beckford
Free Transfer from Div 1. Looks like he can get the odd goal but has nothing else to his game.

Baxter
Youth Product. Completely unproven at Premiership level. Never scored a goal for the first team.

I guess with a strike force that cost nothing to put together we shouldnt expect much.

As the old saying goes you get what you pay for.
Tom Bowers
26   Posted 13/02/2011 at 22:44:35

Moyes is the problem guys. Anichebe is doing what he gets paid for-pulling on a shirt and going on the pitch.
I saw today the same stuff they have palyed in many games this season-pass the ball around midfield about 20n times then back to Distin who hoofs it forward hopefully to someone who invarariably loses control back to the opposition. Will it ever end.They are so predictable.
I have said it after some of our wins this season not to get carried away and especially after the result against Blackpool when the tackling was so poor that gave them 2 goals.
Remember Sturridge is on loan and has scored 3 goals since coming to Bolton and we let Yaks go for a lummox like Anichebe.
Peter Rogers
27   Posted 13/02/2011 at 22:42:25

One quick thought cant we bring the yak and /or vaughan back from there loans.
Steve Barr
28   Posted 13/02/2011 at 22:50:51

Ian #16 is right.

Our financail situation will prevent us competing for honours but these players, and Moyes, are paid very well and performances like today are unacceptable. NO EXCUSES.

We do not have any leaders in this club, no one on the pitch and certainly not Moyes, who has most certainly lost the players respect from what I can see.

Change is not always the answer but we are in need of a "motivator of people" right now!

The result of inaction will be Championship footy.
David Roberts
29   Posted 13/02/2011 at 23:11:23

With players of the caliber of Osman and Anichibe what do you expect but to be in the shit?. Got to be the worst players ever in the Premier League.
Steve Barr
30   Posted 13/02/2011 at 23:18:46

I don't believe it is appropriate to personally slaughter any Everton player, or any young player for that matter.

Collectively Everton FC is at fault for its current situation. The players, the management and the board.

If Everton was playing well I'm sure Anichebe would be turning in much better performances. I know he's not great but he does not deserve to take the brunt of our under performing team.

I'm afraid there is an underlying disease permeating through our great club, the lack of vision and ambition over a few decades now. Change is the answer, always is.

The Club has gone stale and there are people out there who can and would make a difference. Somehow someone has to emerge and make a difference. Let's hope it is not once we have been relegated.

David Hallwood
31   Posted 13/02/2011 at 23:19:21

In my 40+ years of watching Everton Vic is the worst I've seen; loads as bad as him but he shades it because of attitiude. If I was Moyes I'd make him wear a nappy and a dummy.

God spot by Roman#6, players refused to pass to him cos they realise he's out of his depth. Just when you think that this season can't get much... roll on May and hopefully we'll still be a premier league team. But for how much longer
Clint Wheeldon
32   Posted 13/02/2011 at 23:37:54

Vic - Looks like Tarzan. Plays like Jane.
Clint Wheeldon
33   Posted 13/02/2011 at 23:38:44

Actually I take that back. Jane would have had better control, passing ability and didn't fall over as often.
Lewis Barclay
34   Posted 13/02/2011 at 23:18:58

It's rare that I bother to login to add comment but I have to agree, Victor just isn't Mustard. He's a strong lad, no doubt, I just don't see anything else.

I don't think I can ever remember having much bad to say about Moysey or Bill Kenwright either but after the desperate game of (cough) football at Bolton today I am beginning to question whether sentiment and an old fashioned attitude is pushing the Everton into a relegation battle and maybe worse over the next few seasons.

Something that really stood out today for me was : How did Bolton sign a Chelsea striker on loan, who scores three goals in his first three games when Everton, arguably more in need of a fully fit striker send two of theirs out on loan? This smacks of serious financial desperation and I fear that there is something big and nasty on the horizon.

WIthout investment I think we're in real trouble and will lose Fellani, Baines, Heitinga, Rodwell and maybe Coleman quite quickly.

I'm fed up of reading how tough it is for Everton to find an investor. Someone else needs to have a go at finding them!
Rich Williams
35   Posted 13/02/2011 at 23:42:22

Agreed, the black Earl Barrett.
Gavin Ramejkis
36   Posted 13/02/2011 at 23:29:59

Nicholas on your points:

1. Anichebe isn't EPL quality, hasn't scored a goal all season and I'm buggered if I could think of a manager who could get anything out of him at this level. Similarly I'm no EPL manager but I and many many others could tell you and DM that Beckford has never been and will never be a lone striker, any proper scouting mission or the lazy arse version via Youtube could have told you that yet DM tries it in his tried and tested failing way of destroying none lone strikers

2. We didn't raise a single attempt during the Capital of Culture when Liverpool as a city was awash with tourists buying stacks of things from shops all over the place and a great deal of RS merchandise was bought by a good deal of transient visitors who I'd bet weren't regulars, we've failed to capitalise on Tim Howard US National Keeper, Landon Donovan whilst on loan to the US market despite previous tours, we've failed to capitalise on Tim Cahill to the Australian market despite a tour there too, 1 penny spent by a buyer is more than we've marketed for on either front.

3. Randy Lerner did show an interest in Everton but quickly moved to Aston Villa and this story of whingeing buyers is a nonsense, they just move on, the RS examples where when multiple buyers were in a bidding war. The DK hearings show in black and white that the club isn't for sale and the major shareholders are unwilling to spend a penny of their own money on the club or dilute their shareholdings to assist in it's development.

Ian #16, I agree DM has been paid off and has covered BK's useless arse too long but the squad he had in August is considerably smaller now

Andy #17, for all those saying DM is an honest man with principles his price was £65k a week for his silence which as you correctly said could easily lead to the toppling of his charlatan employer, I'd bet backed into a corner the fans would back DM over BK in a heartbeat if it was a straight choice between the two. BK has form for fucking over any threats though so DM must realise he would be scapegoated before he knew what hit him just as disgustingly as BK's so called friend Paul Gregg was by him.
Jamie Sweet
37   Posted 13/02/2011 at 23:22:34

Just looking at the starting eleven and the bench today made me want to cry. Two injuries in a week and we really look in trouble.

Someone is to blame for the fact that our second choice striker is a lumbering oaf. I don't directly blame Victor - I blame the people responsible for completely failing our football club by giving us such limited options.

Moyes really needs to stand up for himself. "Back me or I walk" should have been his stance in January.

"Fuck me over and make me reduce my already thread-bare squad" is what he got.

We needed an injection of something fresh and new in January and all we ended up with was a depleted and poorer version of the squad that were already struggling in December.

KENWRIGHT OUT. What is happening to our club is a total disgrace. Something has got to change.
David Hallwood
38   Posted 13/02/2011 at 23:46:09

Nah, Vic is as shite as Earl Barrett , but at least Barrett had a go. I've never witnessed an Everton player on the opponent's box lose the ball and then turn round to the officials, arms outstretched appealing for fuck knows what instead of trying to win the ball back. All we needed was a caption 'Muuuum Billy's got my xbox' Fuckin pathetic, fucking big baby
Gavin Ramejkis
39   Posted 13/02/2011 at 23:46:31

Rich #34, Earl Barrett was black, the only Barrett property Villa ever shifted when they lumbered us with him years back.

Steve #29, if Everton were playing better football Anichebe would barely be a squad player, the team playing better doesn't make a star out of an average player
Steve Barr
40   Posted 14/02/2011 at 00:03:03

Gavin,

I actually agree with. My point is that personal attacks on Vic, or any player, will only deflect from the real problem. The team is under performing.

The Club is under performing and that is where we need to focus.

Richard Harris
41   Posted 13/02/2011 at 23:59:58

Anichebe and Beckford as our main currently fit strikers - that is down to Kenwright and the Board. Players not having the right attitude, committment, skills, awareness and technical ability - that is down to Moyes and his coaching staff. We all knew that Saha wouldn't play regularly but what did the Board do ? Sit on their hands while players left and no-one new came in. The rotting corpse of the club is not the fault of individual players, however lazy, inept or out of their depth they may be at times.....
Colin Smith
42   Posted 14/02/2011 at 00:08:14

Jo or Big Vic, its a close run thing. On the other hand, every cloud has a sliver lining....did not Man City once pay £18m for the worst Brazilian in the world? As there is not much difference between them maybe we could get around the same for Anichebe.
James Stewart
43   Posted 14/02/2011 at 00:16:38

Dick actually hits the nail on the head more accurately. I was suggesting Anichebe the worst striker in my time following the blues rather than worst ever player so Nyarko comparisons are way off.

Agree with Dick again that this is the worst set of strikers we have ever had Moyes. A fit Saha exempt.

Moyes plays Cahill whenever fit so in his mind that equals one striker. Beattie, Johnson etc etc have all struggled to cope with the role but my point is they were a hell of a lot better players than Anichebe. Yakubu was probably the one best suited to the lone role but who knows what went on there.

We are in decay and quite frankly I am sick of the sight of Moyes, Billy bullshit and Big vic!

O and Gavin is also spot on. We are not for sale!!!! Look at the facts.
James Stewart
44   Posted 14/02/2011 at 00:29:03

If Moyes continues with Anichebe up front alone there is no doubt in my mind we will go down.
Dick Fearon
45   Posted 14/02/2011 at 00:42:40

Jamie #36, Hits the nail, why blame Victor, or for that matter, Osman.

Who pushed them through the ranks? Who decided they were good enough? Who watches them week after week and still thinks they are good enough? Who puts them in the team? who decides what tactics they will be part of?

Moyes may not be able to do much about Osmans frailty but surely he should be able to change Vics whinging attitude.

Get him to watch a few videos of his game to show what is getting up the fans nose. I even wonder if the lad has a clue or even cares about the low esteem he is held in by the supporters. For that matter, why dosen't the older players take him to one side about it.

Jim Dale
46   Posted 14/02/2011 at 01:11:53

I dunno about the worst. Mickaël Madar? Claus Thomsen? David Ginola? Gazza? Brett Angell? Vic shouldn't be anywhere near an Everton shirt though. Disgusting attitude for someone with so little to offer.
Kieran Kinsella
47   Posted 14/02/2011 at 01:17:59

I think it's a bit harsh to say he is the worst ever I seem to recall a line up about 13 years ago that featured John O Kane, Gareth Farrelly, John Oster, etc then you have the likes of Vinny Samways, Stuart Barlow, Per Kroldrup, etc.
Jim Dale
48   Posted 14/02/2011 at 01:22:27

Oh yeah and as mentioned Alex Nyarko is the worst by far.
Ste Traverse
49   Posted 14/02/2011 at 02:09:49

I agree Victor was shite today but worst ever Everton player? No chance!!!
Jamie Sweet
50   Posted 14/02/2011 at 02:05:56

Why Anichebe over Beckford? He aint the best, but at least Becks offers something up front. His movement is good, he applies pressure when not in posession, he's started scoring a few, he scored a cracker against Bolton at Goodison, a great goal last week and I still feel he has potential to be a decent squad player.

Vic offers, erm, well, erm, hang on, It'll come to me in a minute...

Oh yes, a stinking fucking attitude!

Beckford gets the nod every time for me.
Jason Lam
51   Posted 14/02/2011 at 03:24:19

'Big Vic' was essentially playing as the Everton #9. Surreal. Absolutely fucking unbelievable.

He is absolutely fucking shite of a footballer. And as a professional for that attitude. So you are expected to play up front alone, chasing shadows, and getting the shit kicked out of you by 3 central defenders. So what's with the fucking whining shit? Just do your fucking job.
Very fustrating to watch Everton.
Afzan Yusuf
52   Posted 14/02/2011 at 03:54:20

Fuck Anichebe!!!

You don't deserve to play again.
Mark Griffiths
53   Posted 14/02/2011 at 06:32:29

FFS! Some of the comments on here are a bit OTT to say the least.

Yeah,as a centre forward he is championship at best, but I seem to remember not that long ago being applauded for doing a good job on the wing!

#27 - I think we have to give a recall time of 17 days or something to get the Yak and JV back.
Christine Foster
54   Posted 14/02/2011 at 06:53:32

I have often posted that Anichebe is not good enough and should have been released or sold rather than awarded with a new contract.

He will never make the grade.

His disgraceful performance at Bolton was unacceptable in a blue shirt. Half way through the second half he stopped. Literally. Did not track back. He walked. He showed no interest. David Moyes, look at the video. see for yourself WHY he will NEVER be a first team player.

No heart, no desire, no skill, no application. Get rid. Stop playing him, Baxter looked far more aware than he did.

For Christ sake listen. Look. Take all the emotion out of the equation and LOOK at his performance. Tell me what you see that justifies his inclusion in the squad because despite several appearances his performance has been woeful.

Where is Gueye? You have to consider that VIc is not the answer and look at the deck of cards and reshuffle. Please god do it before its too late

Time to be a ruthless bastard DM whether you like it or not.
Christine Foster
55   Posted 14/02/2011 at 07:08:08

Mark #52 OTT??? I am sorry if you think that was acceptable in ANY WAY then shame on you. The gulf in class was highlighted the last week Donovan played for us and was substituted by Vic. If Donovan was Premier league, Vic was Blue Square.

That may even be a disservice to the Blue Square league.

No player should EVER walk around and not take responsibility when wearing an Everton shirt. Anichebe did. He has done so before and now degrades those who wore the shirts with pride.
Alan Williams
56   Posted 14/02/2011 at 08:12:25

Gavin 36. <--You are such a prat when it comes to meaningful post. -->Liverpool CC, the fact we didn?t have a shop doesn?t make a difference, financially it means nothing. L2 revenues are very poor for the EFC shop and we did actually have a shop opposite central station several years back and it lost tens of thousands of pounds due to lack of interest, funny how you fail to mention that isn?t it?

EFC have toured the USA twice and have been prominent in the USA but it?s a tuff nut to crack with no PL team succeeding to date. The tour of Australia was a success with attendances being the highest of the pre-season tours.

Randy Lerner is a Villa fan and has been since he studied in the UK so what is it you actually want because every post that you and others hit always goes back to your hatred of BK and the board.

Some people just wont let go, EFC were crap yesterday due to the players playing SHIT, yet the same players are taking all the money we have out of our club and yesterday they are to blame ? nobody else, simple!! COYB

Frank Key
57   Posted 14/02/2011 at 08:17:26

Mark 54# you seem to be missing the point. Anichebe was Everton's lone striker last night; an honour and a privilege especially for a local lad.

Regardless of ability, the least he can do for the fans who pay is wages is put a shift in for 90 minutes. That is why so many people are venting their spleen on this topic.
Steve Pugh
58   Posted 14/02/2011 at 08:23:19

If Vic never tracked back could somebody explain their first goal to me? He was poor yesterday, but he has put in some good performances over the years, which is more than Shandy ever did. If he hadn't been given a new contract I guarantee that there would be posts on here slating the club for letting him go ona free, in fact there were comments just before he signed saying exactly that.

Finally the only thing that can save the club is a new board.
Dave Truckle
59   Posted 14/02/2011 at 09:06:32

John 23, I totally agree. As a long time reader but first time poster, Vic's performance has prompted me to finally contribute.

I am glad that I am not the only one that felt this way as I was screaming at the TV just 10 minutes into watching his attempts to hold up the ball and link up play.

Even if you argue that his ability is League One standard, surely this combined with daily training with PL class players would mean he is able to use his feet to play football. When passed to, as John pointed out, his sole focus was to back in to the opposing defender with his arms and frame rigid. The ball would then richochet against the wrestling players, obviously Vic is hoping that this is going to rebound favourably for his team but NEVER did. Surely his touch cannot be that poor that he has decided it pointless to try and control and sheild the ball before finding a blue shirt in the advancing midfield.

Maybe forgivable if you take the view that he did not pick himself, but combine it with totally lazy off the ball movement and the impetous ground pounding after he had thrown himself to the floor. I'm sorry but this is a performance that means he should never wear this great shirt again. I've never thought Vic should be in an Everton squad as the combination of sub standard skills and bad attitude is not worthy of the club.

No one had a good game but it was impossible to bring other players into the game in the system with Vic up top.

On the note of Bily, I agree much improvement is required but I see enough to make me believe that there is a player in there in a firing team.

Matthew Tait
60   Posted 14/02/2011 at 09:22:42

Victor has a few attributes (he's big and quickish), and he does have a finish when in the right spot.

But dear god, he has the worst touch of anyone I've ever seen at Everton. Bar none. Cadamarteri looks like Zidane in comparison. And the worst attitude outside of a few outliers like Nyarko.

How can your team be expected to play football with no one up front that you can pass to?

I sincerely hope he never plays for Everton again. Absolute disgrace.
Matthew Tait
61   Posted 14/02/2011 at 09:30:30

Also, can anyone, anywhere shed any light on what happened to Yakubu?

I don't care how unfit or unmotivated Yakubu is, with Saha out the Yak is head, shoulders, chest, waist and knees above anyone else at the club as a lone striker. There is no footballing logic at all behind sending Yakubu on loan that I can see.

So what on earth happened? Are we really, honestly that broke that we had to ship him out just to stay afloat for another six months? It just makes no sense at all. Outside of the Krøldrup business, it's the strangest thing I've seen in Moyes' time in charge.
Dave Wilson
62   Posted 14/02/2011 at 09:00:04

Vic is still recovering the effects of a carreer threathening injury, he`s been in and out since then, in the few games he has played, he`s been right wing. This season circusmstances dictate he is now being asked to play up front alone.

Cahill stunk the place out when he tried it ? and I mean proper stunk the place out ? but he was "playing out of position". Beckford, Yakubu and even Saha have all tried and put in some pretty abjext performances and excuses have been made, but Vic is an easy target.

Coleman, Neville, Beckford, Cahill, Heitinga, Bily, Fellaini were all more good to Bolton than they were to Everton, but Hey, Ossie wasn't on long enough and Hibbo didn't play so Vic gets it.

Possibly the most ignorant posts I`ve seen on these pages, anybody who witnessed Vic's goals in Europe, his spectacular strike at Birmingham and has watched Everton for any length of time will know that there are dozens and dozens of worse players.

Even if he becomes the player Moyes sees in training, he will be a Heskey type, not a 20 a season man, he`s still a very young man and is still learning his trade,

I`m happy for him to take his stick, he deserves it, but his treatment ? whilst excusing others ? is a disgrace.
Anthony Millington
63   Posted 14/02/2011 at 09:53:16

He was never a great player but after that injury he got he's always struggled to get back to what he was before. Moyes is an idiot, why on earth would you keep him and Beckford and Saha (who's injury-jinxed) and loan out Yak and Vaughan? It could cost us relegation ffs, when was the last time Anichebe scored? Clueless Moyes!
Dave Truckle
64   Posted 14/02/2011 at 09:57:21

Dave 61. In peace, I am genuinely interested in why you believe Vic has come in for all this stick if it is not deserved. I have refrained from using the worst ever label as I have only been visiting Goodison regularly and streaming live games since my first Goodison experience at the 3-0 Derby. My previous MOTD viewing of previous players does not give me the authority to make this assessment.

I know however, that what I saw yesterday was enough to make me feel passionately enough to comment. I'm just interested in why you think that so many of us have felt the same whilst as you say, excusing the others. For me, it is the diving, the whining, the fist beating on the floor, the lack of effort that has set this apart. Rodwell and Coleman are young and learning their trade and do not disply these characteristics to that level.

Fellaini's constant poor passing, Heitinga's 'anti' hardman challenges, Billy's general ineffectiveness frustrated the hell out of me but did not stir the feelings thats Vic's performance did. Again, I am not trying to start an argument in my first posts but am genuinely interested in what factors you feel may have influenced my and others' reaction other than the performance. The reason I ask is that your post seems to suggest that there may be something more sinister in the selection of the scape goat.
Anthony Hughes
65   Posted 14/02/2011 at 10:34:46

Anichebe can be excused for a lack of talent (it's the managers fault he's in the team as he picks him). What he can't be excused for is a shitty fucking attitude and lack of effort. The bare minimum we should expect from all our players is that they try their best regardless of ability and yesterday Anichebe just did not look arsed. Maybe he's another sitting pretty on a new contract paying far more than he should be getting.
Jimmy Hacking
66   Posted 14/02/2011 at 10:52:28

Colin Smith # 42

Jo was on a different level to Anichebe. For one thing, he occasionally scored.
Dave Wilson
67   Posted 14/02/2011 at 10:48:44

Dave

I dont think its undeserved stick, I say so , Big Vic had a poor game yesterday, but there was half a dozen others who were even worse, I dont believe Cahill, Coleman or Bily did a single thing right yesterday ? that takes some doing.

Vic has hardly endeared himself to the fans with his antics in the past and because of this some are willing to believe anything bad they read about him. He was jeered ONTO the pitch recently because the Sun ran a report suggesting he has turned down a contract.

The claim that he is thre worst ever Everton player is an ignorant one and can only be made by somebody who is relatively new to watching Everton.

The lad did more as a teenager than 99.9% of professional players will ever do.
Adam Bennett
68   Posted 14/02/2011 at 11:40:33

My take is this: Yes Victor is a bag of shite, but you have to ask yourself who trains, and tries to improve, him and all the other strikers?

Moyes ? Centre half
Round ? Full back
Stubbs ? Centre half
Holden ? Centre half
Woods ? Goalkeeper

And people wonder why we struggle to score goals.
Stephen Kenny
69   Posted 14/02/2011 at 11:57:06

A poor man's Heskey.

As a foil for a good goalscorer as someone mentioned at this level you are still expected to chip in with 5-10 goals a season, I can't see him scoring anywhere near that amount.

Beckford must have been on the verge of tears siting on the bench while Victor gets picked before him.
Richard Dodd
70   Posted 14/02/2011 at 11:44:31

I read somewher that Everton has the 8th highest wage bill in the Prem. Should we not be expecting our squad to play to that level rather than blaming the manager and chairman for their failure to impact on the division?
Aiden Jones
71   Posted 14/02/2011 at 12:05:26

Dave ? a decent goal against B'ham a few years ago and a couple of decent European games doesn't inspire confidence he will ever be any good. If he looked like he cared a bit he might get less stick.
Colin Smith
72   Posted 14/02/2011 at 12:20:26

Jimmy (65). I grant you Jo scored a few goals, but in terms of technical, tactical, physical ability & attitude I can still see very little difference. I will say Jo might be a half decent player if tackling was banned. However, on the basis of Jo bagging a couple of goals we should get & being worth, £18m , maybe we should take £16m for Anichebe!
Dave Wilson
73   Posted 14/02/2011 at 12:47:18

Aiden

The goal against B/ham was last season, he`d been out for about 18 months before that and has been played wide right as he`s struggled for full fitness ever since. No it doesnt make him a top player, but worst ever Everton player? Only if you have absolutely no knowledge of our history
Colin Prendergast
74   Posted 14/02/2011 at 12:27:59

Anthony #64. Spot on, his attitude yesterday was a joke. You could arguably blame it on the team's poor performance. However with him there's been so many on and off field incidents. It's pathetic. Either way, he's a truly, truly awful footballer and how he's managed to come through and start games in the PL, regardless of our threadbare squad, is symptomatic of the malaise that surrounds the club.
Jonathan Tasker
75   Posted 14/02/2011 at 12:52:59

I think you are being really unfair on Anichebe.

Consider that Zat Knight had to go off after he was crushed by Anichebe- you can't say our man wasn't going for the ball or trying to win it. I don;t think Mr. Knight will say that Victor was an easy touch.

I haven't got access to the data but I am sure Anichebe covered a lot more ground than most of our other players.

I seem to remember that Moyes had him playing on the right hand side of midfield before he was injured , at Newcastle, I think and he was effective.

Too many posters on here keep going on about our other strikers but think about it ? Vaughan is always injured. I admit he is a far better player than Victor will ever be but what's the point if he is always injured? The Yak is on a good scoring spell with Leicester but he is older than he claims to be and very out of condition. Saha is easily the best striker we have but you know he cannot be relied on.

So give Victor a break. He is some way from being our worst ever player. No doubt someone will ask me to name someone worse ? so I will give you Lars Jacobsen for a start or Per Krøldrup from recent history.
Mike Hughes
76   Posted 14/02/2011 at 13:21:14

I didn't see the match yesterday and was too down to watch MoTD so can't comment on Anichebe.

But worse than Glen Keeley?
Andy Gilligan
77   Posted 14/02/2011 at 13:55:47

Here's a thought. Why don't the entire team including David Moyes, donate this month's salary to charity??? Because they haven't earned it!!!

Donate it to Alder Hey or something that will benefit from all this money we're spending on their salaries, put it to good use instead of bankrolling their lavish undeserving lifestyles.
Andrew Laird
78   Posted 14/02/2011 at 13:44:07

I will admit that my heart sinks whenever he is near the matchday squad let alone the starting 11 but a ridiculous post nether the less.
Simon Watts
79   Posted 14/02/2011 at 14:04:42

I was hoping Anichebe was a contract rebel and went for nothing. We would have made money that way. Now we signed him for years and pay him £30k a week. His sell on value is £300k to £500k. And that would be what anyone would be worth.

If he plays again I will not watch Everton again. I felt sick to the stomach when he started the match. He only completes 50 percent passes, falls over, and disrupts the balance.

No finesse, positional sense. 2 goals in 36 matches. Doesn't track back and is so clumsy, the referee blows his whistle even when he hasn't fouled. He cost us the first goal.

I thought Moyes learned from the last time. I am really at a loss with Moyes this season. His substitutions have been baffling when we have played so well. Against Arsenal he just completely lost the plot.

Trevor Lynes
80   Posted 14/02/2011 at 14:10:29

I truly hate to single out any particular player for criticism as I've seen Hibbert, Osman and many others (mainly costing nothing) get the blame for abject TEAM displays. No one player can be blamed for the game against Bolton or any other poor and miserable performances by so-called professional footballers..

None of our so-called stars did any better than Anichebe so don't lay the blame at his door for a surrender to a very poor Bolton who would have been taken to the cleaners on that showing by every other Premier League team. We lost virtually every 50/50 ball and the passing of all the players was slow, laboured and amateurish.

Don't blame Vic for the displays of Cahill, Heitinga, Fellaini, Osman etc etc. Arteta was better than most as was Distin, Neville and Baines... but they were all poor and none of them put the passion into their play that is always required in physical battles.

We have spent nothing on lots of strikers and you get what you pay for... even when we have spent in the past on the likes of Johnson and Beattie they have been woeful buys in the main.

DM looked haunted throughout the game and he must be making himself ill watching well paid players not performing against poor opposition. Supposedly we get money for a finishing place in the league... well we will be losing £5,000,000 this season that should have been given to DM to freshen our stagnating squad up.

We lost Gosling for nothing and let Pienaar go for peanuts (pardon the pun). We are spiralling out of control.

Simon Watts
81   Posted 14/02/2011 at 14:17:48

ps: That last game was not about money or lack of spending. Moyes has his special boys, who no-one else can understand: Anichebe, Osman, Hibbert. I think the players were as pissed off as the fans to tell you the truth.

If I was Beckford, I would be off. I would put in a transfer request straight away because it's pointless being here. He looked pretty angry when he come on. What's the point of him being at this club, if he is behind Anichebe?

Beckford has scored goals, and still not given any confidence from the manager. I'm so angry.

Franny Porter
82   Posted 14/02/2011 at 14:58:56

When my 17-month-old daughter doesn't get her own way, and she 'kicks off', she often goes as stiff as a board and lays on the floor whinging. Whilst I ignore her. After yesterday, this is now referred to as 'doing a Victor'...
James Stewart
83   Posted 14/02/2011 at 16:46:15

Dave Wilson, what a crock of shit. I have been watching Everton since 94, as stated in the post, and believe me that is long enough to comment.

I have seen some dire performances from our strikers in that time. Probably Steve Watson was one of the worst but no-one has been as bad as Vic at Bolton. His attitude was disgusting and I hope he never wears the shirt again.

As Christine stated, the point where he just lost the ball and walked back had me delirious with anger.

Alex Rowland
84   Posted 14/02/2011 at 19:55:14

After 10 mins, my 8-year-old had already pointed out re Big Vic, and I quote: "He can't control the ball"... out of the mouths of babes!!!! Nuff said, I think!!!!
Dave Wilson
85   Posted 14/02/2011 at 20:08:45

James Stewart

Vic isnt great, he is also unpopular due to his behaviour in the past, you thought you could scapegote an easy target, but to people who have watched Everton down the years you were merely exposing your ignorance.
Ian Smitham
86   Posted 14/02/2011 at 22:50:32

James, Can I also point out that Steve Watson was not ever intended to be a striker, and maybe Dave at 85 has a point.

During a difficult time at the club, I do recall he played practically every position for the cause and just for the sake of completeness, I recall a hat trick of goals for him against Leeds. They were in the Premier League at the time.

I trust that you are not comparing the attitudes of Vic and Steve as that really would be poor.