Seamus Coleman

Whilst most of the vitriol from yesterday appears to be aimed at Anichebe, I wanted to voice my concerns about Seamus Coleman.

From what I have seen, he is either all over the opposition or, most of the time, is completely snuffed out. I noticed, for example, in the match at Sunderland that Bardsley, their full back, completely had Coleman in his pocket.

Yesterday, he hardly had a kick. It is as if the opposition know that if he is dominated early on, he has no Plan B and just disappears.

Amongst the many reasons why we lost yesterday was the fact that effectively we were playing with only 9 men. Having wing backs like Coleman and Bily is a real disadvantage as neither contributed anything. They are both one-trick ponies and they should not appear together.

Jonathan Tasker, London     Posted 14/02/2011 at 13:15:19

Comments

Ray Robinson
1   Posted 14/02/2011 at 15:07:45

Coleman is being inhibited in my opinion by a combination of over-instruction, which is curbing his natural exuberance, and a fullback in Neville that doesn't complement his style.
Anthony Hughes
2   Posted 14/02/2011 at 15:16:20

Coleman's strength is in knocking the ball five yards past the fullback and doing him for pace over the short distance before whipping in a cross. A lot of teams will have seen this and will double up on him. As he gets little support from Neville as an overlapping fullback, then he is limited to what he'll can achieve because he doesn't have "a trick" in the locker.

If the defensive side of his game improves, I can definitely see him as an adventurous rightback overlapping which will be harder for the opposing team to defend against.

Mike Hughes
3   Posted 14/02/2011 at 15:26:15

Being cynical, has the fact that he's just signed a contract got anything to do with it?
Daniel Johnson
4   Posted 14/02/2011 at 15:27:58

Coleman is young and needs a much deserved rest. But our lack of depth in the squad means he's got to push on to the end of the season.
Mike Gwyer
5   Posted 14/02/2011 at 15:32:05

What the fuck do you expect? He's witnessing team moral sink to depth's that he never seen, he's looking at a front line player in Anichebe who probably would not get into his local Irish pub team and too boot, he's not much off 20.

Fuck, he probably wants to go home and get away from all this shit.
Mick Gallagher
6   Posted 14/02/2011 at 15:40:04

Give the kid a break, there are more experienced players on that pitch yesterday who've done fuck all.
Jimmy Hacking
7   Posted 14/02/2011 at 15:44:37

Coleman was poor for us yesterday, I thought, but I agree with Mick #6, he is having a fantastic season for us; everyone has off-days.
Dave Wilson
8   Posted 14/02/2011 at 15:47:09

talk about favourites

As the OP states, Seamus not for the first time stinks the place out and the excuses come rolling out

"He young" - Well older than Vic like, but it doesnt count

"He probably see`s Vic and thinks he`s played with better center forwards in Ireland" - I wonder if Vic has ever played with a winger who has provided such shite non existant service.

And why stop at Seamus ? why not tlak about Bilys abject display . . ot more to the point the worst Cahill on the park having a Weston and missing an open goal that cost us any chance.- not to mention losing his man for their first goal . .and dont get me started on Neville and Heitinga

Col Hughes
9   Posted 14/02/2011 at 16:00:15

Dont forget he's a right back playing out of position, even when he is not havin the greatest of games he still works hard for the team, unlike some.
Paul Olsen
10   Posted 14/02/2011 at 16:10:38

Coleman was really poor, no doubt. But, he always tries therefore he´s not lambasted when he´s poor.

Anichebe is a whining waste. The number of times he went to the floor more interested in the ref than the game really annoyed me. A couple of those balls could have been won had it not been for him turning around to have a go at the ref. That is such a shit attitude there is no excuse.

And when Fellaini passed the ball across Beckford and got a shitload of stick from the latter i just had to laugh.
Had Beckford been able to control a ball while on the move he wouldn´t be such a useless footballer. Decent goalscorer, useless footballer.

Fellaini was horrendous, his passing was all over the place.

Heitinga, oh my!

Bily, oof. Another stinker.

Actually think Neville got an unfair amount of stick yesterday, he was not one of our poorest players. Arteta our best man alongside Baines. Although both were pretty average on the day.
Paul Olsen
11   Posted 14/02/2011 at 16:17:16

And don´t get me started on Anichebe´s touch.

I´ve pointed out Coleman´s poor technique a couple of times, but in all honesty.

Anichebe has the ball-control of a 3-year old and about the same sense of awareness. I was just waiting for him to wet his shorts yesterday.
Dave Wilson
12   Posted 14/02/2011 at 16:24:30

And Coleman showed Messi like control when put clean through... just before he turned around and started whining at the ref.
Liu Weixian
13   Posted 14/02/2011 at 16:23:43

Coleman just had a poor game. I don't see why he should be singled out for criticism when he clearly tried his damn best. In the first place, he is a wingback, not a winger. To be played slightly out of position is bad enough without having to deal with being man-marked by the opposing fullback and not receiving enough support from your own teammates.

Since Pienaar's departure, teams are finding it a lot easier to deal with our flank players. They now don't need to concentrate so much on neutralizing the left and can instead expend more effort into dealing with the attack down our right, which is not particularly strong to begin with. We are paying the price for letting Pienaar go.
James Stewart
14   Posted 14/02/2011 at 16:41:35

Coleman was poor but he is the least of our worries. You can't knock his desire or passion.
Yes, he's no Messi but this is a lad who cost £60k and who would run all day long for the cause. He will never stink the place out like Anichebe does.
Matthew Lovekin
15   Posted 14/02/2011 at 16:39:27

Yes, Coleman had a poor game, but he is one of very few bright points over this whole season.

Coleman, Baines have been plus points this season. Fellaini is gradully getting better and Cahill's goals. Apart from that, this season has been a total disaster.
Tony Waring
16   Posted 14/02/2011 at 16:50:32

Let it be noted that Seamus has also scored a few goals! It is also high time Cahill was given a rest. He seems to have been playing non-stop for years what with World Cups and various Far East/Pacific non-events ? not to mention the fact that he's probably spent more time in the air than the average astronaut. He is stale and no wonder.
James Stewart
17   Posted 14/02/2011 at 16:55:10

I thought Osman and Hibbert were your Messis, Dave ? not Coleman?
Mike Gwyer
18   Posted 14/02/2011 at 17:21:12

Dave #8 & 12.

I'm sure your taking the piss but hey, having watched that shite yesterday I'm beyond caring.

Coleman can change a game, I've seen him do it. Coleman can give right backs a tough time, yep I've seen that as well. Now I've never seen Anichebe change any game, absolutely never - unless your gonna say his wonder goal against some shite german club. Anichebe is a big moaning twat, and for your info he has a bit of gambling problem too boot (he probably put a wager on himself that he could play like a total twat).

Additionally, "the local pub in Ireland bit" is reference to Coleman's heritage. Personally I've never been to Ireland so for all I know his local pub may hate footy and love cricket, but fuck, that would still make them far far better players that Anichebe.

Dick Anderson
19   Posted 14/02/2011 at 17:29:03

I agree I thought Coleman was dreadful yesterday.

He does seem to be a one trick pony.

Coleman needs to take a long look at Leighton Baines. There's a player doing a great job.

Baines defends well, gets forward a whole bunch and can deliver a terrific ball into dangerous areas.

Baines gets my vote for player of the year. Coleman needs time because so far he's not really impressed me.
David Holroyd
20   Posted 14/02/2011 at 17:28:19

Colman has played more games than he should but don,t forget he has just started and they his team mates didn,t help him one bit.
Jamie Barlow
21   Posted 14/02/2011 at 17:25:36

I don't mind it when a player has an off day but keeps on going. Coleman did this yesterday as did Felli. You won't find them going missing and hiding. Felli had a nightmare yesterday but kept showing for the ball. What I can't stand is players who don't give a shite when things don't work. Anichebe yesterday was shocking and i don't expect anything more from the lad now. He's like my nine year old lad when I tell him he can't go on his x box and I hope he fucks off in the summer.
Dick Anderson
22   Posted 14/02/2011 at 18:23:26

I think almost the entire team underperformed yesterday but I agree with Jamie Barlow that at least a few of them kept at it.

Howard
Difficult to really blame him for either goal.

Baines
The only player in the team who played well.

Neville
Always gives it his best just a shame he's a very average player.

Heitinga
I dont rate him. Looked a liability at times. Bring back Jagielka now.

Distin
Looked lazy and uninterested.

Coleman
Was a forgotten man for most of the game but even when he had the ball he didn't do anything with it but run into the first defender.

Fellaini
Saw plenty of the ball and you could see he was trying but nearly everything he touched went to the opposition.

Arteta
Terrible corners. Just hasn't looked the same player since his injury. No longer has the ability to run the midfield.

Bilyletdinov
Rubbish. Looks ok on the ball but doesn't have the work ethic that Pienaar use to.

Cahill
Usually the one of the hardest working players but looked tired and out of sorts.

Anichebe
Lazy and wasteful. Never looked like scoring and frankly I cheered when Moyes finally took him off.

Beckford
Is good for a goal normally but has nothing else to his game.

Osman
Didn't add anything when he came on. Not a bad player and I'd rather he started the next game then Bily or Coleman.

Baxter
Looked quite lively but a couple misplaced passes and an awful volley from a corner makes me wonder about his quality.
Tim Spring
23   Posted 14/02/2011 at 18:33:41

Jamie, Anichebe is not going anywhere mate, new deal on the table and a manager who will continue to play him despite his obvious inability to play football.

I just hope the Yak's form continues and he comes back and wants to score next season. I doubt it though.
Alex Kociuba
24   Posted 14/02/2011 at 18:38:06

Dick I disagree with around 50% of your assessments but "an awful volley from a corner makes me wonder about his quality" I hope this was said tongue-in-cheek. Otherwise what an idiotic thing to say.

And..

Osman IS a bad player.
Beckford ISN'T good for a goal
Anichebe I agree
Bily is class
Jagielka deserves to be on the bench
Jim Burns
25   Posted 14/02/2011 at 19:02:20

I can't believe Coleman is getting stick... for Christ's sake - he's entitled to get marked out now and then (even Bale suffers that and top European clubs are going to be all over him in the summer).

The lads a breath of fresh air and cost us next to nothing... lay off him or we'll lose him before he has anywhere near fulfilled his potential.

For my money, we missed Peinnar like mad yesterday... closing down and creating tempo.

He's fucking well out of it.

Get off Coleman's back or 'Arry will have him.
Ian Kearney
26   Posted 14/02/2011 at 19:12:08

Its quite simple, he's a ful back not a winger, and whoever plays right wing is gonna suffer, because Neville is awful.
Howard Don
27   Posted 14/02/2011 at 19:32:16

Jonathon you touch on something that struck me watching the game.

Firstly I love Seamus to bits for his attitude but, unlike a lot of people on TW, I have doubts about his ability to be top class, and he looked a bit lost yeasterday. Also you're right he is a bit of a one trick pony. I sincerely hope I'm wrong though and it has to be said he's coped with a really steep learning curve so far and it could continue upward.

Secondly Vic's performance as main striker yesterday was dire. But., and I'll probably get slaughtered for this, when he went wide right his performance did improve somwhat, which of course in the context of the game isn't saying much at all. However it did occur to me that earlier in the season when Vic played wide right a few times he did have the odd decent game. Food for thought?

Ducking my head below the parapet now.
Dave Wilson
28   Posted 14/02/2011 at 19:07:15

Mike; I`m not taking the piss mate.

I`m angry and I mean fucken angry with everything and anyone to do with Everton today, the "I couldn't give a fuck" attitude that was so prevelant throughout the side sickened me.

Davey Moyes and his team should have been made to run the gauntlet through the travelling fans they had so badly let down and be made to take all the abuse that was coming to them yesterday.

This mindless, pitiful "it all Vics fault" whine that so many people are hiding behind only makes me more angry. It`s the usual scapegoat shit that lets the rest of them off the hook, they where all shameful yesterday.

I don't subscribe to this favouritism shite, I couldn't give a flying fuck who the fans like and who they don't, I only know 8-9 performances were totally unacceptable and Coleman's was one of them.

Shane Corcoran
29   Posted 14/02/2011 at 19:45:28

Coleman jumped from playing right back for a LOI club to a year later playing right wing for a supposedly top EPL club. I'm amazed he's done as well as he's done.

You have no idea how bad the amateur soccer scene is in Ireland, lads. He's raw and his biggest assets are in his head, determination and desire. Look at our more skillful players and the bigger problem is that these attributes are sorely missing.

Michael Kenrick
30   Posted 14/02/2011 at 20:12:01

Hey Wilson, wind yer fucking neck in with this "scapegoat" shit, will yer. He was utter shite. Even 5 Evertonians can't be wrong... never mind the 500+ we've had bemoaning one of the most atrocious performances in a blue shirt in living memory.

Scapegoat. You should be ashamed. And remember, didn't you once tell me taking the piss was your primary occupation on here? Knock it off, FFS! In fact, who the fuck do you think you are calling everyone "ignorant"? Jesus wept... it's like you've gotta think something up to come on here and get locked into a stupid argument. Well, it ends here.
David Thomas
31   Posted 14/02/2011 at 20:11:08

Dave Wilson,

8-9 of the performances. Your being very generous in my opinion. Who did you think had a performance that was not totally unacceptable?

Dave Wilson
32   Posted 14/02/2011 at 20:16:40

Michael

You wont find me claiming he was anything other than shite, but look at David Thomas`s question, can you answer it? I can't. I`m not taking the piss, I believe what I say.

The worst performance in living memory? Worse than Bily`s or Colemans or Beckfords or Heitinga`s? Don't think so, Vic was shite alright, but at least the opposition knew he was on the field.
Michael Kenrick
33   Posted 14/02/2011 at 20:30:14

Dave, on behalf of our readers, I utterly reject your accusations regarding making a scapegote (sic) out of Big Vic. These fans were just commenting on how awful he was... not out of any desire to scapegoat him but because he was DIRE! For you to label them "ignorant" is both arrogant and offensive and is rubbing salt in already gapping wounds.
Dave Wilson
34   Posted 14/02/2011 at 20:40:00

Michael

It was not my intention to be either arrogant or offensive.

When somebody who has been watching Everton for a decade or so compares a current player with thousands he has never even seen then surely the post by definition is an ignorant one.

People are angry, none more so than me, but why single out one man?
It's not only me saying it, Jay and Trevor are long time Evertonians and both have expressed an unease on another thread at the singling out of one player.

If it's the word scapegote that offends then I`m more than happy to withdraw it, it doesn't alter the point I`m trying to make though.

Do you not agree that by singling out one man we merely overlook the shortcomings of the rest of them?
Michael Kenrick
35   Posted 14/02/2011 at 21:08:11

People are not "singling out" ? they are responding to what they see ? why don't you show any respect for that?

Why do you have to set the rules for how people provide their evaluation and critique of the way the players perform? If someone plays badly, they will get slaughtered on here ? do you honestly expect anything different?

If people want to talk about just one player who was particularly bad ? they can!

If people want to go through the whole team, assigning marks out of 10 ? they can.

If you want to present a different assessment of your own, that's fine... but using this website to denigrate other Evertonians and call them ignorant is just not on.

And the word, by the way, is "scapegoat" ? one who bears the blame for others, who is the object of irrational hostility. Well guess what: all the "blame" I've read about Anichebe has been directed fair and square at him for how he performed in the game. And irrational? Hardly...

So scapegoat is totally inappropriate (and "scapegote" is not even a valid word).
Dick Fearon
36   Posted 14/02/2011 at 22:10:23

Months ago I pointed to Anichebe's disgraceful attitude. I suggested that Moyes or captain Pip ought to have a word in his ear about it. We are locked into a fight for survival and the very last thing we need is a petulant whinging whimpering cry baby leading us into battle.
Sean McCarthy
37   Posted 14/02/2011 at 22:16:11

Alex #24......billy is class
if you say so mate!!! On that basis vic is the next drogba!!!
Dave Wilson
38   Posted 14/02/2011 at 22:52:38

Michael

I wouldn't dream of trying to set the rules, but I`m not alone in asking why others get excused.

This is a thread about Coleman and the excuses for him are stacking up. He`s older than Vic (but his youth is an excuse) he contributed less and he wasn't up against two uncompromising centre-halves getting shit service, so why when he is criticised is it ok for people to say lay off him, give him a break? And why is it wrong to ask why Cahill ? whose only contributions were to miss an open goal and lose his marker for their goal ? or Bily who only touched the ball to give it away aren't getting slaughtered too?

Michael Kenrick
39   Posted 14/02/2011 at 23:44:58

Listen Dave, I don't care what people say about the individual players, as along as what they say represents their genuine reaction, opinion, analysis, critique ? whatever you want to call it ? but about the players.

I'm not here to award points but what I don't like to see is that described (by you) as "scapegoating" and the views described (by you) as ignorant. Just have some respect for the views of your fellow Evertonians and cut this elitist know-it-all crap.

You can disagree and offer an alternative view without demeaning others ? most people on here manage it. That's all I'm asking.
Alex Kociuba
40   Posted 15/02/2011 at 00:53:43

Sean #37 I'd even go as far to say Bily is too good for us. Bily is the icing-on-the-cake for a top side, but as we can rarely string any half-decent performances and Bily being played mostly out of position he looks average (or worse to some people here).

Bily could slot right into the Real Madrid or Barcelona team and look a world beater. Paradoxically, Iniesta or Kaka would of looked crap if either of them played for us on Sunday.

Sean McCarthy
41   Posted 15/02/2011 at 01:20:06

Bily for Barca!!! Fuck me, I think I've just wet my pants laughing!!!!
Anthony Hughes
42   Posted 15/02/2011 at 07:57:05

Alex, Bily would replace exactly who in the Barca or Real midfield?
Ian Tunstead
43   Posted 15/02/2011 at 13:43:54

That's football, sometimes players can come in and out of games especially for wingers and strikers when the team is not dominating posession and especially when your a young player playing in a new role.

I have seen Ronaldo go missing for entire games but then show one moment of class in win a game, it happens. It doesn't matter who you are, you will not dominate every game for 90 mins.
Steve Cotton
44   Posted 15/02/2011 at 15:58:34

Dave Wilson, I think you have a valid point my friend. Anichebe ,who is not the best player in the world, was put out on his own up front, with no support (where was Cahill?) and in my opinion left out to dry!! When he got moved to right wing for a short while, he made more of an impression than Seamus did the whole game.

Let's get off Victor's back and give him a run on the right, put Coleman to right back and let them work together. It can't be worse than Sunday??? Can it???

Steve Cotton
45   Posted 15/02/2011 at 16:02:00

And let the greek lad have a run up front with Beckford.. he was our only addition so he must have something going for him..

And where is Gueye?????????

David Thomas
46   Posted 15/02/2011 at 17:47:49

Steve Cotton,

Victor and Seamus as our right hand side? We would be destroyed on that side. Seamus defensive qualities are very poor at the moment and Anichebe is shite.
Sean McCarthy
47   Posted 15/02/2011 at 23:58:20

Dave, I'm with you mate!! Coleman might be able to run quickly but sometimes reminds me of a bull in a china shop!! Plus he can't tackle to save his life and would just give away penalties all the time!!

As for Anichebe, he is just shit. Period. Someone tell me what he brought to the right wing. He's got a piss poor touch to add to his many other (non-)qualities!!!