Members:   Log In Sign Up

Terry Leahy ? the way forward?

As an anti-Kirkby supporter I have certain doubts about his Tesco connection... but, on the other side of the coin, he is a blue, who has been a massive success in business and must surely be better connected than our current Chairman and likely to attract a buyer/investor.

Terry Leahy is due to leave his post at Tesco next month and, on reflection, I would love to see if he can drag our club into the modern era and improve the off-field, and in turn on-field, performances.

No idea if he would be interested but I see a number of groups, such as Trust Everton, forming and he must surely be one of the people they should look to get involved.

Brian Price, Liverpool     Posted 17/02/2011 at 00:28:53

Comments

Richard Harris
1   Posted 17/02/2011 at 01:50:28

If he can get 'suppliers' to provide us with the products that we need (better players, manager, board and stadium) at a below-market price, like Tesco do, then sign him up now!! Although I can't see Everton dictating favourable terms (to the club) that give the suppliers no choice on their selling price and would pull the deal if they don't agree.
Hugh Jorgan
2   Posted 17/02/2011 at 02:14:11

I would think that someone like Terry Leahy would not sully his reputation by getting too close to BK. I know he acted as an adviser to the board over DK but that was in his capacity as CEO of the main stake holder.

BKs reputation in the business word cannot be great, he is chairman of a £70m business that cannot make a profit.

The only option is for Everton to find a buyer that has some level business sense before it's too late. Or is it too late?
Russell Buckley
3   Posted 17/02/2011 at 02:52:51

He would have to be a rather die hard blue to, instead of looking for another major business position,want step in and turn the good ship Everton around.

He can have all the business sense in the World. It's something I would love to see at the club. But we need that plus someone with very very deep pockets.
Michael Coffey
4   Posted 17/02/2011 at 07:20:13

Terry Leahy's nous, Paul McCartney's money. That should do the trick.

And while we're at it, get Dave "Stewpot" Stewart on the half-time turntable.
Howard Don
5   Posted 17/02/2011 at 07:44:37

Ahem, Michael (4) that'll be Ed Stewart I think. Also Macca may be loaded and a Blue but he ain't in the billionaire category. Also I think he's not one to throw money around for no good reason (apart from the Heather Mills episode that is).

Seriously I think getting Terry Leahy on the board would be a sensational move. It would be great for the marketing/retail side as he knows that world inside out and more importantly how to make a profits year on year. Also you could be sure the rest of the organisation would be run on solid business lines. Additionally he would be a figure to inspire confidence among money men and will undoubtedly have a huge network of expertise to call on.

It's a no-brainer for me in terms of expertise but, of course, still doesn't bring in any significant funds in the short term.
Derek Thomas
6   Posted 17/02/2011 at 08:52:42

He has the acumen; say what you like about the Board (and we do), you could never in your wildest dreams link the words Everton Board with the word 'Acumen'.

While he is rich, he is not FUCKIN MINTED, he couldn't find the money, but he would most surely 'know a man who can'.

Over to you, Mike l'Anson.
Matthew Mackey
7   Posted 17/02/2011 at 08:58:04

If he's a blue then let him prove it. "Put your money where your mouth is, Mr Levy" or (translated), "Prove your a Blue ? stick your hand in your pocket and invest in the club more seriously than you do at present."

The percentage of the average fans income spent on (and thus investing in) the club is probably a damn sight higher that most of those "Suits" that live in Ivory towers. It's not words that make you a Blues, it's actions.

Marc Williams
8   Posted 17/02/2011 at 09:28:01

BK has probably already lined him up for next summer's firesale of our players.... no doubt he'll pile em high & sell them cheap!!!
Michael Stevenson
9   Posted 17/02/2011 at 09:14:01

The Leahy family are fanatical blues (my mum works with his sister-in-law). He's certainly not rich enough to sort out our problems financially but what he does have is business acumen ? something that is clearly very lacking in our current board. He would make an excellent board member, or even Chairman if a certain someone would budge over. His status in the business world would certainly improve our chances of attracting outside investment.

No doubt this would have occurred to him too. However, I doubt he'd go for it given all the shit it would attract. "Stick your hand in your pocket you tight arsed suit and get back to your ivory tower" for example.
Phil Bellis
10   Posted 17/02/2011 at 09:50:10

I heard it's BOGOFF and 2-4-1 in the Summer Sales.
Mike Oates
11   Posted 17/02/2011 at 09:52:29

I thought he hinted last year when his departure from Tesco was announced that he wasn't going to get involved with ANY business (Everton included). He wanted a long few years' rest with his family after... years with Tesco.
Dave Lynch
12   Posted 17/02/2011 at 10:01:45

Mathew @ 7 ? Why should he have to prove he is a blue by sticking his hand in his pocket?

If I had a good wedge, I wouldn't touch that club with a shitty stick at the moment.

Peter Laing
13   Posted 17/02/2011 at 10:17:13

As far as I am aware, Terry Leahy has been an advisor to Everton FC for a number of years, albeit in a non-director capacity. What really infuriates me is the number of talented and succesful Evertonians who, whilst Kenwright continues with his despot ownership, would not touch Everton with the afformentioned proverbial shitty stick.

Remember Wembley 2009, Everton are a sleeping giant, the number of blues at both games demonstrated that we are still a big Club; however, if this stagnant malaise continues, we are likely to continue with this sorry demise of an institution with our proud heritage and history within the game.

Danny Broderick
14   Posted 17/02/2011 at 11:10:51

Would Kenwright want him on the board? It might show up how bad they are currently doing the job!
Roberto Birquet
15   Posted 17/02/2011 at 11:08:41

Hugh:
----------------------------
Because he retains players by paying them more than we can afford. Would you prefer worse players?

Everton's problems are bigger than some simplisitc comments seem to understand.

BK's only big crime (IMO of course) is failing to launch King's Dock. How could we not get £35 million together? ? utterly incredible.

We do not have a rich fanbase like Spurs or Chelsea; we are landlocked with the ground we've got; nothing seemingly made available by the council; Liverpool seem to not be interested in groundshare - would I support that? I'd bite their bloody hands off.

Will the TV financing prove a bubble when Sky's anti-comptitive practices are no longer tolerated? If so, we will slide and slide financially. Only way forward I can see is to buy up land round Goodison; property market is falling, and will fall further (see the low volumes indicate sellers are in denial) and get the council to support an £80 million business FFS.
Brian Price
16   Posted 17/02/2011 at 11:14:36

Just to clarify, I don't see him as the one with all the money - but more someone who can help attract and then manage some serious and sound investment. He fits the criteria for me in terms of football fan and business pedigree.

I would like to see Kenwright move over and pass his 24/7 search to someone who must surely have a greater chance of pushing us forward. Surely that's what any true blue who wants the very best for the club, would do?
Tony J Williams
17   Posted 17/02/2011 at 12:16:53

1) We couldn't afford him

2) Why would he even consider boarding a shinking ship?
Kevin Tully
18   Posted 17/02/2011 at 12:26:20

I know, why don't we give Richard Branson a call. If we get him on board, Bill Gates will surely be interested as well. Or we could go the whole hog, and get Blue Bill in front of the Dragons?

Any more staws to clutch on to?
Tony McNulty
19   Posted 17/02/2011 at 12:48:35

I am always glad to see optimism, but this seems akin to awaiting a Knight riding on a white (or blue) horse to rescue the (Old) Lady. And Kevin, you did mention the Dragons.

I think most of us have long given up believing in fairy tales.

Anyway, I thought STL had already been giving advice to the Board for at least the last two years.
Andy Whittingham
20   Posted 17/02/2011 at 13:23:22

Phill@11

Is that 2-4-1 with Cahill up front?
Christine Foster
21   Posted 17/02/2011 at 13:51:09

I think it would be something to remember to see BK seeking investment in the Dragons Den.. you can almost image the conversation..

How many millions are you looking for?
How much of the business are you offering?

Your not?? er...
Tony McNulty
22   Posted 17/02/2011 at 13:56:04

Christine - I've seen the tape:

Scottish accent: ?I don?t like this business. I don?t like you. This whole thing is ludicrous. I?m out?

Woman: ?I don?t like this business. And I don?t see where the money can be made. And you haven?t been straight with us. And I?m out?

Cyprus: ?I know football. I know Tim. But you?ve not come in here with any sort of a decent plan at all. Your Plan A is flawed. And you?ve no Plan B. The closest you get to any plan is Planet Hollwood. You?ve wasted our time. And for those reasons. I?m out?

Tall Boy: ?I have sat here listening to this getting more and more angry. Half way through all of this, you revealed these phantom investors. We don?t know who they are. We don?t know what they own. And I?m not sure you?ve been entirely straight with us about exactly what you?re offering. You?ve completely wasted our time. And for those reasons, I?m out?

Kevin Tully
23   Posted 17/02/2011 at 14:17:37

Nice one, Tony.

Next Question: "How long have you been at your current premises?"

Bill: "About 120 years."

Dragon: "You must have plans to modernise it for your customers. You would generate more revenue to grow your business."

Bill: "Not really."
Tom Hughes
24   Posted 17/02/2011 at 14:14:22

Tony,
would make a great sketch that one....
Brian Waring
25   Posted 17/02/2011 at 16:08:31

"He is a blue" ? For some of our fans, they seem to be the only credentials you need to be involved in the running of our club.

"Got any cash?"
"No, but I am a blue."
"That will do nicely, sir."
Colin Garland
26   Posted 17/02/2011 at 19:21:18

As with the majority of Everton Fans, I was a supporter of a move to Kirkby. With a multi-national such as Tesco on board the building of the stadium would've never have been allowed to fail. Yes, Ok, I love Goodison for its traditions too but in order to progress we had to move away Walton/Kirkdale in order to attract the sort of financial clout that we have seen going to other clubs that would allow us to compete at the highest level.

Terry Leahy had to be frustrated in his efforts to help the club he supports. Not only did he have to contend with the worst Council in the country, but also the Kopites of Kirkby (who now coincidently want a Tesco store), who were urged on in their plight by the blinkered support of KEIOC (Evertonians!).

It's no suprise that Bill Kenwright cannot now find a buyer, and it would not suprise me if Leahy walked away having claimed to have done his bit. Evertonians need to wake up and smell the coffee. If there was an interested billionnaire around the corner, he would've bought us by now.

I want our club to return to being the power house of English football. Our history is becoming sadly all too stretched out now. For Leahy or anyone else to take over, we need to become an attractive proposition, and I don't simply mean on the pitch.

Brian Waring
27   Posted 17/02/2011 at 20:28:32

Colin, not being funny mate, but have you been in hibernation or something?
Tony McNulty
28   Posted 17/02/2011 at 20:58:18

Kevin (27) it just occurred to me.

Cyprus: "Bill, this would be a good, little small town hobby for one man. A bit like a train set. But it isn't a business. You're not running it like a business. And it's not for me. And I could never work with you. You'd drive me nuts. I'd never know whether you were coming or going. You've no idea about the numbers or about your competition. But you're an enthusiastic man. And I wish you the best of luck"
Gavin Ramejkis
29   Posted 17/02/2011 at 21:54:27

Colin #26, or is that another psuedonym for the various club plants although this one a tad late. DK was halted through a clear breach of regulations. KMBC have supported and passed money for developing every other town they had with the exception of Kirkby, the DK plan was for Tesco to try to breach planning rules but as you appear to have been living in some odd time warp you maybe not know that Tesco bought swathes of land and property in Kirkby town centre and at some point will use it to build a Tesco store but more likely one fitting the location.

Leahy's sole intentions for DK were for Tesco shareholders and fuck all to do with Everton ? if not, why did they build a rugby stadium iIn Warrington or are you going to claim Tesco Tel is also a Warrington fan, or any other plans they had about the country, maybe they too were Tel's "childhood club".

The one thing Leahy has above BK and that's absolute ruthless business acumen which he has used to drive Tesco to being a leading supermarket chain. He knows how to turn coin ? something the board sadly don't and haven't for years.
David Israel
30   Posted 17/02/2011 at 22:54:38

For some time now ? and I've mentioned it on TW a couple of times ? I have entertained the idea that STL could perhaps form a consortium that would try and take over the club. But it's probably wishful thinking ? no one even knows if he's interested.
Derek Thomas
31   Posted 19/02/2011 at 03:22:10

Colin Garland; now now, you're being picky there with the opening line, slightly economical with the actual gist of the fact.

The fact being that you were part of the less than 50% of the small number given the vote, compared to the ACTUAL large number who had an opinion.

40% of this small minority thought that less of the plan A no plan B thing that they didn't even vote.

MAJORITY MY ARSE!