Sky's the limit!

Whilst I am still over the proverbial moon after our penalty heroics yesterday afternoon, I do feel a little bit put out after watching 'The Sunday Supplement' on Sky Sports this morning. (My own fault, I know.) For those not familiar with the programme, it's a few journalists sat around the table drinking orange juice and discussing the latest football news and gossip.

Firstly I was disappointed, but not shocked that Alex Ferguson wants the FA Cup to have a seeding system. Although it has the obvious benefits for his own club by avoiding early round defeats by similar stature clubs, and giving themselves a clearer run at the trophy, it's also another way the 'Sky 4/5' try and influence everything to help themselves.

What really pissed me off though was they mentioned that Harry Redknapp would be the new England manager, David Moyes will or is being sounded out by Spurs and Jack Rodwell should go to Man.Utd as he is better than what they have got at the moment.

This was finished off with "Don't worry Everton fans, I'm sure Bill Kenwright will have something up his sleeve!"
Al Reddish, Stafford     Posted 20/02/2011 at 11:41:41

Comments

Peter Warren
1   Posted 20/02/2011 at 15:12:27

I couldn't give a monkey's what journos think. They all thought we'd missed our chance of beating Chelsea when drawing at home but no, we're still in the cup and I'm still deliriously happy. COYB !
Dick Anderson
2   Posted 20/02/2011 at 15:30:44

Yeah I agree. Normally Everton are completely ignored on that programme but I tuned in this morning hopeful that our FA Cup heroics would earn us a mention.

Sadly they only said 3 things about Everton.

1. Jack Rodwell will be leaving.
2. Everton are a selling club now.
3. Moyes will take over Spurs when Harry departs for England.

I was in a good mood after the FA Cup win but that really made me sad.
Kieran Kinsella
3   Posted 20/02/2011 at 15:37:02

The thing is that we drew attention to the problems at the club because BK has turned us into a selling club so we all came on here in January complaining about him selling all our players and no reinvesting. Then the Echo and the Mirror wrote pieces defending BK and then the rest of the media noticed the issue and started writing about it but unlike the Mirror/Echo most of the media put 2 and 2 together and came up with 4. (e.g. we are broke and have a crap chairman).

So initially we were annoyed that no one had realized BK was ruining the club and now that people are talking about our financial dire straits we take that as an insult. We can't have it both ways.

Charles King
4   Posted 20/02/2011 at 15:18:39

I occasionally watch that program, I'm staggered by the lack of original thought, it's an old boy network representing whoever is at the top of the tree. Presently Redknapp is their boy.
Peter Dry
5   Posted 20/02/2011 at 15:48:13

Rob Beasley said that he "wouldn't wana watch Everton every week, at least we (Chelsea) tried to win the game". Sour grapes maybe, but i know that having a season ticket a couple of seasons ago was torture. I used to dread the games more than going to work.
Simon Jenkins
6   Posted 20/02/2011 at 16:11:04

Rob Beasley, whoever the hell he is, probably hasn't paid to watch a football match in many years. So his opinion on 'value for money' is worthless. His comments smack of sour grapes; if we'd turned up like Blackpool, played really open and lost 5-2, he'd probably be patronisingly patting us on the head.

Maybe if he thinks we play poorly, he should wonder why he think Moyes is such a great manager, given that how we play is Moyes's responsibility.

Typical contradictory, hypocritical journos. Many of them are just self-serving professional liars for hire ? as much a part of the game in moving managers and players on as agents are.

David Hallwood
7   Posted 20/02/2011 at 16:17:20

BTW, on the subject of TV journos, I've just watched the Citteh game and they were discussing the 6th Rd draw, not once were we mentioned, and you've heard it here officially, If they beat Villa and we beat Reading then it's a foregone conclusion that Citteh will win.
James Hollister
8   Posted 20/02/2011 at 16:24:39

Aye but I must confess they have a shocking record against us, and I think when we go there, we don't have much to loose unlike they do, so the onus is on them.

I think we'll go there and win it without much of a problem. I think we where in more of a state earlier in the season than we are now tbh.

The good thing out the draw is the ManU v Arsenal match, at least we'll loose one of them.

Suddenly I am feeling much more confident than ever about our chances in this cup this season. Especially with the top 2 facing each other
Dave Roberts
9   Posted 20/02/2011 at 16:40:49

There's a fly in the journo's ointment.

Hawwy won't be England's manager...he'll be in jail. His trial for tax avoidance starts next month. True, Spurs will be looking for a new manager, but Jordan will get that job. It will become a poisoned chalice after the rozzers take Hawwy down the steps at the back of the dock!
Ian Edwards
10   Posted 20/02/2011 at 16:51:14

Redknapp will probably be the next England Manager and that would be the correct decision. We all know that Rodwell will be sold at some stage and from what I've seen I think he is probably not going to be as good as we thought he was.

As for Moyes to Spurs.... that won't happen. They have a history of playing attacking football and their supporters won't put up with his brand of dull negative "let's park the bus" type of football. But if they want him, I will gladly drive him there.
Eugene Ruane
11   Posted 20/02/2011 at 16:47:33

Dave - remind me, what exactly is the charge?

I remember a mate at the time saying 'that's a really serious charge, he'll do a few years if he's guilty' and me thinking 'Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese let him get what Peter Sellers got in After The Fox.

(ie: "We the jury find the defendant INCREDIBLY guilty")
Dave Roberts
12   Posted 20/02/2011 at 16:56:57

Did Beasley mention that Chelski were lucky to come away from Goodison with a draw?

I don't know why anybody watches Sky. Especially now that Star Trek has finished.
Simon Gilmovitch
13   Posted 20/02/2011 at 16:51:38

Anyone notice Adrian Chiles's comment yesterday before the Crawley Town game on ITV, he said something like:

"Its been a predicatable set of results in the cup today unless you consider Everton beating Chelsea as a giant killing"

On what planet does he think that was a giant killing?
Dave Roberts
14   Posted 20/02/2011 at 17:01:04

Eugene ? as far as the papers were concerned last FRiday it was 'non-payment of due tax'.... which I take to mean tax avoidance. Gideon (Georgy boy) Osborne said a while ago that there will be a severe crackdown on tax avoiders (unless you're Barclays Bank of course) so let's hope on this occasion he's right.

Hawwy was apparently miffed last week because his legal team failed to get the charges reduced.... so it must be serious.

He's a Vewy Naughty Boy!
Peter Anthony
15   Posted 20/02/2011 at 17:14:30

Cracking interview with Capt Pip, so long as he and the team follow the sterling words with congruent actions in the games to come in both league and Cup:

John Talbot
16   Posted 20/02/2011 at 17:27:05

Adrian Chiles is a Twat. And a shit presenter.
Liam Reilly
17   Posted 20/02/2011 at 18:37:23

Couldn't agree more John #16. Chiles is a complete arse. If ever there was a face for radio, it?s him.

Re Sky, do we really expect anything different, it?s Sky 4 (or rather now 6; City and Tottenham) and the rest just make up the numbers. When most of the punters come from these clubs and the journalists are just sycophants under instructions to endorse the Sky brand.

Richard Harris
18   Posted 20/02/2011 at 19:29:39

I never listen the match analysis when some of the biased pundits are involved. How Adrian Chiles managed to get paid so much money and front so many shows is beyond me! I can't stand his smartarse, "I'm so dry" and witty 'banter' and stopped watching MotD2 because of him. Now he is at ITV I wouldn't watch any of their games unless Everton are involved. He is a cunt of the highest order..
Andrew James
19   Posted 20/02/2011 at 20:15:22

Was delighted that Adrian Chiles stopped working for the BBC because it meant the late night World Cup programming didn't include him and Colin Murray, despite being a red, is infinitely better.

Journos like those on Sky are wind bags who like the sound of their own voices far too much. Most of them are part of the Murdoch machine which is poisonous, right wing and elitist. Therefore, your first mistake was getting Sky and your second was watching it.

Moyesy the family man moving to London to manage Spurs? Cannot see it myself.

Lastly, I doubt Redknapp will go to jail. Spurs will pay his legal fees and help him get off. However, given that he might leave Spurs in over a year, they might want to expose him to enough scandalous gossip to stop the FA employing him.
John Audsley
20   Posted 20/02/2011 at 20:35:38

Yep

I Sky + it every Sunday (cos the kids are always watching cartoons) and every week it's the SKY 4 or APPY ARRY who get mentioned the most.

The only comments we've had are ones like "Everton have a great chairman and are the blueprint for how a Prem club should be run".

My arse to all that shite.

It's a crap programme, just a way for the journos to buy into Sky's "Prem invented football" dream, which is a shame as it used to be a good watch YEARS AGO!
Mark Leicester
21   Posted 20/02/2011 at 21:15:55

Phil Neville did not get booked for taking his shirt off, this shows the inconsistency of football. ? This is what the presenter of the show actually said.

So the ref should have booked Neville after he scored the winning penalty? Erm... What???

Dick Fearon
22   Posted 20/02/2011 at 22:17:59

Once the referee signalled the final penalty was legit, the game ended. There is no law to stop a player from removing his shirt from that point.
Mike Green
23   Posted 20/02/2011 at 22:28:16

Andrew James - spot on, I've got a lot of time for Colin Murray, he might be a red but he knows his stuff when it comes to us and has always shown us a lot of genuine respect IMO.

Radio 5 Live yesterday. Build up to the game. Man Utd v Crawley, Man Utd v Crawley, Man Utd v Crawley. Half time? Man Utd v Crawley, Man Utd v Crawley, Man Utd v Crawley.

Front page of the Sunday Times Sports pages? Man Utd v Crawley. I couldn't give a fuck about Crawley Town, there's no romance in it, they're the Chelsea / City of their league.

James (8) - we've got a thing called a tie against Reading to get through before you can start talking about City. Besides, I've got a gut feeling Villa will turn them over. One step at a time.

Yesterday was a fantastic result but the fact that we had to rely on a full back for a goal from a set piece says it all. We used up all our lucky strikes at Stamford Bridge and are going to struggle in the league and Cup from now until May. Let enjoy it for now though ? a brilliant, memorable, afternoon.
John Gee
24   Posted 20/02/2011 at 22:35:03

Mark, 22, I didn't see that programme, did they really suggest Neville should have been booked? Do they not understand that the game had finished?

I watched the game online and at one point in the first half, one of the commentators actually said "come on Chelsea"! I was thinking, "Fucking hell, mate, will you do the Munich plane thing when Chelsea play Man Ttd too?"

Chad Schofield
25   Posted 20/02/2011 at 23:29:48

The referee has the authority to take disciplinary sanctions from the moment he enters the field of play until he leaves the field of play after the final whistle

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lotg_en.pdf (page 35)

Obviously I would not have wanted Neville to be booked but the ref technically could have.

I'd also suggest Chiles was not implying that Everton beating Chelsea was a giant killing.

As to Harry, they're pretty serious charges by the sounds of it!
Dick Fearon
26   Posted 21/02/2011 at 07:23:20

Chad # 26, Technically the referee could report you to the relevant association for any incident where he thought you brought the game into disrepute and that could be long after the game ended. In Neville's case, exposing his aging yet still manly chest did not come into that category and seeing as the game had ended it did not contravene the laws of the game.

After internationals it has for a long time been customary for players to swap shirts. I remember Alf Ramsey banned the England players from swapping shirts until after they went down the tunnel.

James Marshall
27   Posted 21/02/2011 at 14:06:59

It's a terrible show, don't waste your Sky subscription on listening to those bloated morons whinge their ego-inflated opinions into your living room.

Buy a decent paper and make up your own mind.
James Marshall
28   Posted 21/02/2011 at 14:08:24

Dick @ 27 ? that was only in one game when Ramsey stopped the players swapping shirts with the Argentina team.