Big moment, big players

You've got to give the penalty takers great credit for stepping up yesterday.

While Baines's penalty was just one of those things Arteta and Neville both took great penalties and Jagielka's and Heitinga's weren't far behind. They showed they are big players ready for the big occasion and when the going gets tough they are players I'd want in my team every time.

There was no hiding from them. Baines was tremendous yesterday and has shown that he is not going to let the fact that Pienaar is no longer in front of him bother him. What a free kick!
Ged Dwyer, Liverpool     Posted 20/02/2011 at 16:11:31

Comments

Chris Sillett
1   Posted 20/02/2011 at 18:50:05

Where are all the Heitinga critics now eh?
Tom Bowers
2   Posted 20/02/2011 at 18:54:46

When your luck is in, it's in... and yesterday we had it in a big way but that's the cup. We weren't so lucky at Brentford in the Milky Mouse cup.

Thanks to some great defending and especially goalkeeping we were able to get to penalties which always seems to be a lottery and to win using 4 defenders is simply amazing.

Hopefully our luck will continue against the Black Cats.

James Stewart
3   Posted 20/02/2011 at 19:15:53

Arteta's pen was textbook & the crucial one.
Colin Ryan
4   Posted 20/02/2011 at 19:23:44

Why did mad Johnny come out with this ""From the centre line you walk straight to the penalty spot, and you're completely focused on your penalty... I tried to ruin [Ashley Cole's] concentration by colliding with him [as he made his way to the penalty spot]. The harassment was intentional"

You can be sure the FA will now fine him and give him a ban. Great performance all round though. If we somehow get thru Reading and Man C, the cup is ours coz Man U and Arsenal aren't too bothered. Stoke are a potential dark horse in my opinion.
Dick Anderson
5   Posted 20/02/2011 at 19:42:26

Big credit to Jagielka who has missed a couple of important penalties in the past.

He missed the final penalty against Fiorentina which sent Everton out of the Europa League just as it looked like we might go all the way.

Then just this season he hit the post against Brentford and we crashed out of the League Cup.

Jagielka showed big character to step up and take a penalty against Chelsea.

Although I have to ask why were 4 out of the 5 penalty takers from the defence?

Baines, Jagielka, Heitinga and Neville are all defenders. Only Arteta stepped up from the more attack minded players.

Where were the likes of Fellaini, Coleman, Bilyaletdinov and Anichebe?
Andrew Lawrenson
6   Posted 20/02/2011 at 19:53:30

I was shitting myself in case Big Vic took one...
Jamie Sweet
7   Posted 20/02/2011 at 19:50:09

I love Heitinga's penalty the most. His celebration after he scored was like a scene from Braveheart, and then what he did to Cole was just brilliant!

We out-psyched one of the big boys and man do they not like it up them!

More of this kind of thing please. We've been too nice for too long!

Oh, and credit to Neville. When he fannied about with the penalty spot for five minutes, and then set himself up for a two step run up ? I could see no other outcome than him putting it in the stands! Fair play to him... it was a great penalty!

The 6,000 behind the goal did a great job too!

Pure entertainment!
Wesley Coles
8   Posted 20/02/2011 at 20:24:14

Heitinga fully earned his inflated wage this week, that was great gamesmanship.
Jamie Sweet
9   Posted 20/02/2011 at 20:43:29

Good point, Dick. I wonder if any team has ever had their entire back four be among the first 5 penalty takers in a shootout before. I very much doubt it.
Mike Bates
10   Posted 20/02/2011 at 21:02:59

I agree with Darren; great penalty, excellent barge on Cole. Doesn't disguise the fact that the chap can't pass or tackle though.
Gavin Ramejkis
11   Posted 20/02/2011 at 21:51:36

Dick #6, our most successful penalty taker to date was David Unsworth, a defender, sod that fancy dan shit and just give me a good solid player who can put their laces through it, keeper touches it they'll still have a job trying to stop it.
Kase Chow
12   Posted 20/02/2011 at 22:14:17

Proper fucking class result yesterday. EFC have ruined many a weekend this season. Yesterday, they made this one

Thank you, Super Blues.
Tony J Williams
13   Posted 20/02/2011 at 22:59:01

Good old Rhino, you could definitely depend on him with pens. He even kept Sheffield United up with a pen on the last day too.
Guy Hastings
14   Posted 20/02/2011 at 23:01:04

Just fucking larrup the thing one side or another.
Will Leaf
15   Posted 20/02/2011 at 22:54:33

I recall Latch mentioning that back in his day it was considered poor form for the centre forwards to take penalties as they already had plenty of chances to score!
steve leary
16   Posted 20/02/2011 at 23:53:26

Superb blues baines goal was awesome jags was a rock! COYB!!!
Jamie Barlow
17   Posted 20/02/2011 at 23:51:50

Chris@1. Fair play to Johnny yesterday but it doesn't change my view of him. Still a shithouse.
Trevor Lynes
18   Posted 21/02/2011 at 00:55:20

If Heitinga played for Chelsea, the same fans that praised his 'gamesmanship' when he barged into Cole, would have bleated like stuck pigs. He is still a yard dog and would not get into any of the great Dutch sides of the past.
Jim Dale
19   Posted 21/02/2011 at 01:09:37

The barge was disgusting, even though no-one deserves such bad sportsmanship more than Ashley Cole. Heitinga is a nasty piece of work and I can see him being a real target of Evertonian hatred when he leaves.

Delighted for Phil Neville though. Back four worked their socks off and had to watch a load of old shite in front of them for a lot of game. I hope Arteta's great pen gives him some much needed confidence.

Bily is an absolute joke. Can't believe he cost more than Van der Vaart. Let's hope we can get Saha fit for Reading because I can't ever see us scoring from open play again otherwise.

Jason Lam
20   Posted 21/02/2011 at 02:26:13

You need balls of steel to take penalties, that's why our ladies who pussyfoot up the field can't take them.

Baines is so much like Sheedy. He had Pat behind him to protect the left hand side and give him time on the ball. I believe we need a strong left-sided midfield enforcer to compliment him, in a modern game where fullbacks have the most time on the ball. Pienaar, though not stronger, did track back a lot.
Nick Entwistle
21   Posted 21/02/2011 at 02:30:41

Disgusting, Jim? Overstatement.

Loved watching the ITV highlights as the presenter gave, as an impression of Cole, a big camp Ohhh, as he looked over his shoulder after the barge.

Camptastic.
James Hollister
22   Posted 21/02/2011 at 03:16:53

Jim, why would fans hate Johnny when he leaves? To me, he is the only lad in the team, maybe besides Hibbo, who won't mince words or fail to put a boot in.

It's not like any of those cheating scumbags at Cheslea do the same thing... how about Terry's nose bash on Jags? Completely intentional, he knew exactly what he was doing.

It's just such as shame the game is more for fairies than men back in the 70s.

James Bernard
23   Posted 21/02/2011 at 05:16:37

Jim, what are you talking about? If Cashley can't take a nudge in the shoulder with the money he is on, he's the one who's a fucking disgrace. As for Bily, he could have had two assists if people would have put his chances in. Still one of our best deliverers of the ball.
Albert Perkins
24   Posted 21/02/2011 at 05:29:36

Can't get used to us winning penalty shoot-outs. Man Utd and Chelsea no less!

Do I remember right that Sandy Brown took our penalties and the keepers had to get out of the way? Cannon fire!
Jamie Sweet
25   Posted 21/02/2011 at 05:35:51

Disgusting? Are you serious? It was fucking genius!

And if it had happened the other way round, I would have just been annoyed with our player for letting it get to him.

Chelsea are one of the worst teams when it comes to "gamesmanship" for Christ's sake. Admittedly Johnny's was a bit blatant, but that for me is what made it so brilliant.

The fact that WE did it to THEM was magic.

Admittedly, if it had been done to a no-mark Reading player in the next round, I may have been slightly embarassed! But it was Ashley Cole and it was Chelsea. Fucking beautiful!
Dermot Ryan
26   Posted 21/02/2011 at 07:29:48

Agree totally with Jamie et al. Heitenga's penalty, riling up the crowd, and putting Cole off his game ALMOST redeems a disappointing second season. A truly great moment from Johnny. Long may it live in our collective memories (like Ferguson tossing Ince to the ground).

It's not like Flamini's two-footed studs-up tackle or someone headbutting another player (or even Arteta poking someone in the eye). Gamesmanship: Nothing more or less. Cole always had the option to flop (and how fucking ridiculous would that have made him look).

Disgusting? Perspective please.

Jamie Barlow
27   Posted 21/02/2011 at 08:17:27

James @23. "To me, he is the only lad in the team, maybe besides Hibbo, who won't mince words or fail to put a boot in." You must be watching a different Johnny than I am. He might go around kicking people for no reason and giving daft free-kicks away, but when it really matters, he bottles it every time.
Mac Lloyd
28   Posted 21/02/2011 at 08:51:20

I'm not a big fan of Heitinga but seeing as it was Cashley then it was hilarious, there's no need for bigging himself up after though, keep it buttoned lad. The whole point of cult status is you play yourself down not mouth off to the press about how great and calculating you are.

The thing I find disgusting is the fact that the editors of this site still find cause to slag off the players after a magnificent (2-game) victory based on heart and commitment. The original front page summary of the match read something like ??with Beckford up front who was either ineffecitive/hopeless (delete as appropriate)?? FFS boys give it a rest, for once get behind the team.

Funny how it?s mysteriously changed to a (slightly) more positive note but you can see it?s written through gritted teeth.
Kevin Gillen
29   Posted 21/02/2011 at 09:59:53

It shows you how poor our strikers are that Nev takes a pen. Credit to him though. Great day to be a blue.
David Thomas
30   Posted 21/02/2011 at 10:38:49

Kevin

"It shows you how poor our strikers are that Nev takes a pen"

I don't think it is really a reflection on our strikers. I mean Phil Neal took the penalties for Liverpool when they were dominating and Steve Bruce for Manchester United.
Tom Winek
31   Posted 21/02/2011 at 10:46:51

I thought the shoulder barge was 50/50. Neither player giving any ground. Cole just assumed Heitinga would give way and didn't. Hence the pansy look over his shoulder. Fantastic!
Andrew Ellams
32   Posted 21/02/2011 at 11:57:02

Why all the issue with defenders taking penalties? Phil Neal, Stuart Pearce and Lee Dixon all took them regularly at club and country level. Paul Breitner even scored two in World Cup finals.
Phil Bellis
33   Posted 21/02/2011 at 11:32:31

Agree Tom, Cole had the option to swerve. And Jim, bloody hell, you''d have fainted every match in the 60s and 70s if you though that nudge was disgusting.
Heitinga's reported "statements" have put him in a poor light recently, but in Summer he said "It is a great club and I am playing in a World Cup Final as an Evertonian... I am proud to play for Everton". That'll do for me.
Dan Moorhead
34   Posted 21/02/2011 at 12:56:04

"To me, he is the only lad in the team, maybe besides Hibbo, who won't mince words or fail to put a boot in." Hahahahah. Somebody?s not been watching the games. Very funny.
Craig Taylor
35   Posted 21/02/2011 at 13:23:17

Who cares that 4 of 5 were defenders. They were obviously the ones who were up for it.

Probably the 5 most experienced players we had as well.
Norman Merrill
36   Posted 21/02/2011 at 13:57:50

Great credit to all the boys who took penalties, we all have our favourite one ? in my case, it's the captain's effort that made my day, and his salute to the fans afterwards.

And a special mention to Jags, for never shirking a strike, after his special against United at Wembley.

James Marshall
37   Posted 21/02/2011 at 13:58:54

Johnny's barge on Cole and our subsequent chants of 'Cheryl Cheryl Cheryl' will live long in the memory - when Cole then skied his penalty we celebrated as though the game was over! It was truly a magic moment, and not in any way 'disgusting' as someone said.

Gamesmanship is part & parcel of sport, and Ashley Cole is well aware of that fact.

Best away game in years, IMO.
Ray Roche
38   Posted 21/02/2011 at 15:24:57

Gavin Ramejkis

I thought that Roy Vernon was our most successfull penalty taker. Did he ever miss one? I might be wrong.
Ian Campbell
39   Posted 21/02/2011 at 15:29:52

Colin Ryan #5 Heitinga won't get banned and Jamie Sweet #10 regarding the whole back 4 ? Distin never took one and Heitinga was in midfield at the time!

Fantastic result!
Tom Bowers
40   Posted 21/02/2011 at 15:38:40

How can one criticise Becks? He had to run like all day for lost causes as Timmie was out of sorts still. Okay, Becks did screw one up early but which strikers don't. He would be better as a sub but we just don't have any options at present.
Trevor Lynes
41   Posted 21/02/2011 at 15:43:08

Ray... Vernon missed one penalty out of twenty and he was always having run-ins with Catterick who actually took him off penalty taking as a punishment. Alex Scott missed a penalty against Leeds but it was re-taken and Vernon snatched the ball from Scott and scored from the spot.

He once was asked who were the best strikers during the sixties and he replied, "There's Greaves, Law and ME!!!!"

He was a great striker with lots of waspish venom and the nearest to Rush of more modern times than anyone else I can remember... plus he had a competitive edge as hard as anyone. He shone in derby games as much as Collins and Ball and oozed confidence (cockiness).

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
42   Posted 21/02/2011 at 15:46:57

Mac, I always tell it how I see it but, on this occasion, I couldn't decide if Beckford was simply ineffective or just plain hopeless. I could be convinced either way.

The idea that the likes of Baines can provide brilliant balls directly to him in fantastic forward positions and the ball appears to just go right through him without any contact... I find that astounding.

The change occurs because Lyndon comes along after he's watched the game and usually puts a lighter touch on things to keep the softer souls happy. Sorry to disappoint you but no gritted teeth,

David Holroyd
43   Posted 21/02/2011 at 16:04:41

Who gives a fuck who takes the pens as long as they score? Take my hat off to Phil Neville very professional, taking time sorting the penalty spot out. Hasn't let the talk of transfer to Spurs faze him.
Ray Roche
44   Posted 21/02/2011 at 17:28:05

Trevor, I remember Vernon well, he was,as you say, a terrific striker with more than a hint of steel about him and gelled well with Young, my alltime favourite player, I just wasn't sure if he ever missed a penalty, thanks for the info.

He was also responsible for a cracking response to a manager's criticism when he had drifted down the leagues towards the end of his career. During the half-time team talk, his manager, I won't pretend to remember who it was, said to Vernon about his lack of mobility:

"And you could help, too, Roy, by moving about a bit more."

"If they can't find me when I'm standing still, they've NO chance if I run around."

He was also a chain-smoker, as I recall.

Karl Masters
45   Posted 21/02/2011 at 18:39:26

I thought Jags' was the most crucial. Miss that we would have been 2 behind and the pressure would have been right off Chelsea. And credit to him for taking one after the Brentford and Fiorentina misses.

I must admit though that I was grateful Yakubu was not taking one for us. His casual speciality penalty can often end up as an embarrassing Anelka type miss and was just what we did not need.
David Price
46   Posted 21/02/2011 at 21:19:45

Who barged into who? They both didn't alter their "flight path", collision course ensued and Cole bottled it.

More should be said of his ignorance to Moyes's handshake. He looked at Moyes and kept on walking. Typical arrogant attitude from the big shites, always storming off the pitch when we beat them, Utd the same but quick to be the friendly sportsmen when they win.

Nice one Johnny, do it in real time play in your next 50-50 challenge.

Milos Milenkovic
47   Posted 21/02/2011 at 21:54:11

Ged, I would just say that Baines's penalty was very bad decision from the manager. Two minutes after he scored the crucial goal, with fantastic shot that need concentration, determination and huge self believe and all that after 120 minutes of play, you can be sure that he was totally empty, both physically and mentally.

I know that Baines is probably our best penalty taker (and our best player overall), but there was no chance of him scoring that penalty. Maybe at the later stage?

Michael, as for Beckford and his performance, I would just love to see him playing regularly 6-7 games and to judge him after that. Do you remember Yakubu?s start in Everton team? He was awful, but he had so many chances, and finally he started to produce. Then there was Saha, just how many chances he was given in past year to start to show anything. No goals, no desire no nothing for almost a year, yet he started every time when he was ready. I think Beckford is playing very, very good considering time and treatment. Even on Saturday he showed good movement, he was tracking back, won the ball couple of times and if Coleman?s pass wasn?t behind his back he would?ve been in great goal scoring position.

I agree that not making contact with Baines's cross was poor, but he is always under pressure to perform and score or he will not start the next game, or even second half!? Maybe it?s only me, but he is giving our team another dimension when he plays, he is dangerous, exciting to watch with great desire to succeed. On the other hand, after 3 years with us, I never felt, for one moment, that Saha is actually an Everton player. Always had a feeling like he is some kind of special guest, who occasionally plays for us, but never cares too much and someone who is not part of the team.

To conclude, I think that in Beckford we have a great prospect who just needs to play.

Michael Kenrick
48   Posted 21/02/2011 at 22:46:12

Milos, re Beckford. You'd best take this up with the manager.... Moyes thinks he's been over-played!!!
Lee Courtliff
49   Posted 22/02/2011 at 09:17:20

I thought Beckford was very good in the first half. Faded with the rest of the team in the 2nd half.
Ernie Baywood
50   Posted 22/02/2011 at 10:42:25

David, I noticed Johnny did the same as Cole... glanced at him and walked on by. Thought it was noteworthy.

On Beckford, it just wasn't his game. 2nd half we played deep... very fuckin' deep. Not his game at all and I was almost glad to see Vic. Not much better, but it suited his playing style more. He actually did a decent job relative to his ability.

Baines ? well he's just fuckin' brilliant isn't he? Would like to see that partnership with Bily given some time ? a few signs that it could work out. Bily is kind of the anti-Pienaar ? end product but no build-up... I for one wouldn't mind seeing how that works out for us.
James Cadwaladr
51   Posted 22/02/2011 at 12:50:59

All these people moaning about Heitinga's barge need to get a grip. Heitinga didn't walk across to nail him, cleverly he kept to a straight line and walked into him. Cole had 50 yards to get out of the way, didn't see him try, did you?
David Booth
52   Posted 22/02/2011 at 14:01:15

From a purist point of view, what Johnny did did not perhaps fit the Everton ethos ? but boy, do we need more of it.

For a start, Cole was just as culpable and is only being sympathised with because he came off worst. More importantly however, what Heitinga did clearly worked and provided a clear pointer for us.

To be with and beat the best, we've got to stop being a 'nice' team playing equally 'nice' football. We are in desperate need of some swagger, self-belief, confidence and even arrogance. He gave that to us for a crucial split-second on Saturday by refusing to back down and showing he ? and Everton ? are more than capable of NOT being pushovers.

More power to your elbow (or shoulder Johnny) and may your teammates take note and follow your example. Time this mouse of a team started to roar...