We can get to the final... can't we?

I can remember watching the semi-final against Manchester United two years ago thinking, "We are not going to do this." When Cahill missed, the only thing I could think was defeat. But the day was won by Baines, Neville, Vaughan and Jagielka.

The game on the weekend was Baines's and Neville's game. And the game will always belong to them.

When Everton got the draw against Chelsea in the first game, I just thought Everton let us down. How good you can play but get a replay at Stamford Bridge.

I'm just 15, so I don't go to many Everton matches. My Sky box was broken so I had to listen to my radio. I thought it was going to be a repeat of the first game, but saw I was wrong. When Fellaini scored in added time and was disallowed everything started to go negative.

Extra-time came. I went to the loo for just a split second, and when I came back Lampard had scored, so I just turned my radio off and went outside to play football, pretending to be the Everton team turning the score around. When I came back inside, I asked my Dad if it was still 1-0 and he said, "Yes."

So I went back to my room and put the radio back on and heard there was just 2 minutes left. I knew Chelsea where going to win.

Then we had the free-kick. When I heard both Baines and Arteta were standing behind the ball I thought, "Not you Mikel, this is Baines's territory". And when the ball hit the back of the net, the window in my room was covered with steam. I was just so happy. But still we had the penalty shootout.

When Lampard scored, Baines missed, and then Drogba scored, I had my face in my hands. Jagielka scored and I thought, "2-1 ? we can still win this." And then Howard saved Anelka's penalty, we had a very good chance and we took it when Arteta scored. Essien scored, Heitinga scored and then up came Cole, I thought to myself, "He'll probably miss this..." and he did.

And then came up Phil Neville, I thought "He's going to miss this too. But no, he didn't, because I found myself running around my village in happiness.

The question is, "Because we've beaten Chelsea, will we get to the final?"

Morgan Rhys, Cropthorne, Worcestershire     Posted 22/02/2011 at 23:42:33

Comments

Howard Don
1   Posted 23/02/2011 at 06:55:42

Yes we can Morgan. The downside for you is now that you've set a winning precedent, you have to spend the next three rounds listening to the radio in your room!
Stephen Kenny
2   Posted 23/02/2011 at 07:10:49

The best team usually wins the league, it's not always that simple in the F.A cup. We've got a really good chance to get back to Wembley and hopefully this time were taking the cup back with us!!!
Stephen Kenny
3   Posted 23/02/2011 at 07:10:49

Derek Thomas
4   Posted 23/02/2011 at 07:36:35

Nice one Morgan, I can see you now, running round the village shouting ' I'm the only Evertonian in the village '.

Yes we can get to the final and this time win it. Though I think SAF will have learnt from his mistake and will be less likely to put out a weakened team.
Ernie Baywood
5   Posted 23/02/2011 at 08:41:36

Jeez 15 year olds going outside to kick a ball... I didn't think they did that anymore. Haven't you got a PSP? (I'm probably well out of date there aren't I?)

We can win it mate. We did it in 95 with a worse team (though I loved them).
Peter Bourke
6   Posted 23/02/2011 at 08:45:22

Yes we can get to the Final Morgan but we have a long way to go before we do.
You know that feeling you got when we won and you ran around your village with happiness, well, that will stay with you all your life and hopefully it will happen to you many many more times in the future.
Well written piece Morgan and i hope you can tell us how many laps of your village you did when we win the final.
Mike Green
7   Posted 23/02/2011 at 09:02:54

Great bit of writing Morgan, nice one, well done.

Yes we can. But I think the odds are against us.

The fact that we had to rely on a set piece from a full back in the final minutes of extra time on Saturday sum up our predicament. We have no teeth up front. So in every tie we will struggle and my guess is sooner or later we'll get caught short.

However. In my experience the two major things you need to acheive your goals are effort and desire so on that front I think we've got every chance.

We've also got experience having got to the final two years ago and a golden chance to get to the 6th Round against either of two teams we know we can beat. To be honest the only teams we should be afraid of in all of this now are Man Utd and Arsenal and we know one of them will not make it past the 6th Round.

We have a good chance Morgan, but we will have to grasp that chance and ride our luck for it to happen.

Come May though my wish is you are running around your village hailing us as FA Cup winners.

Come On You Blues!

Cheers

Mike
Brian Denton
8   Posted 23/02/2011 at 09:52:55

Blackpool won in the League last night. Hate to piss on the parade, and all that ...!
Chris Fisher
9   Posted 23/02/2011 at 10:09:41

Yeah, of course we can, Morgan... but so can everyone else left in it! I think we will, though ? so get ready to run around your village for about a week after the final!
Gavin Ramejkis
10   Posted 23/02/2011 at 10:21:27

If we can get Saha back fit for the Cup games we do stand a good chance as he did appear to be coming good again, cross everything Morgan and keep that radio safe too.
Shaun Brennan
11   Posted 23/02/2011 at 10:40:18

Of course we can win it, Morgan, with a sprinkiling of Luck, anyone can.

On a side note, wish I was young enough to pop out the house for a kick around.
Tom Winek
12   Posted 23/02/2011 at 10:39:48

I too listened to the game on the radio but had a feeling all the way through the game that it was ours. Even when Lampard scored and Baines missed his penalty I just thought we'd win. Might have been something to do with the BBC commentators in hyperdrive about how Chelsea should've been home and dry a long time ago and how we were just hanging on and looking tired.
Jimmy Hacking
13   Posted 23/02/2011 at 11:53:57

I think we have an excellent chance of making it to the final at least. assuming we beat Reading we could be two games away from the Europa League and all the riches that brings.

I don't know why but I just have a crazy feeling in my gut that this will be our year. And wouldn't that be typical of Everton under Moyes? To stick two fingers up to the nay-sayers. COYB
Peter Dry
14   Posted 23/02/2011 at 11:59:35

I was your age when we won the cup in 95 and remember being made up that United's two best players weren't playing. If we get the same luck this time round who knows.
Norman Merrill
15   Posted 23/02/2011 at 12:12:11

After our great cup run in 2009, I am sure all fans would love to get back there.
But we have a game against Reading at home to WIN, then if we do we have the little effort of going to either City or Villa and getting the result.

I am sure on our day we can beat anyone, but lets take one game at a time, and right now its a huge game against a very talented side in
Reading.

But we can dream, and lets hope its more than that?
Mark Murphy
16   Posted 23/02/2011 at 12:21:05

Shaun #11, 2 of my 3 kids are football daft and dream of playing for Everton (even though we live in Chelsea country).

I'm always popping outside for a kick around!

Get breeding lad!

Morgan ? great stuff, lad... of course we will win it ? dont stop believing!
Dick Fearon
17   Posted 23/02/2011 at 09:43:09

I had worked the night shift on the Docks then straight to Matthew St where I did another 4 hard hours labour helping mates to lay a concrete floor in a warehouse next door to where the original Cavern was situated. Then a mad dash to Lime St still in my work clobber just in time to catch the last football special to Bolton.

The year was 1966, the game was the FA Cup semi-final, the opposition was Man Utd. They boasted a galaxy of international stars. According to the pundits, we had no chance.of beating a United that included the likes of Law, Styles and Charlton... but beat them we did.

The only goal was a bit of a fluke by Colin Harvey but it was enough to send us to Wembley where we beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-2 to win the FA Cup. Something in my old bones tells me it's our time again.

David Price
18   Posted 23/02/2011 at 14:03:43

Good stuff Morgan. Spirit alive and kicking in the next generation.
Christopher McCullough
19   Posted 23/02/2011 at 14:48:13

You should watch the games on the internet and check out the live forum on ToffeeWeb if you get the chance.
Charles King
20   Posted 23/02/2011 at 15:17:33

Morgan

Next time I travel through Pershore to Evesham I will salute the sign to Cropthorne knowing missionary work is being preached in a goodly manner, well written young man.
Ste Traverse
21   Posted 23/02/2011 at 17:13:01

If we can get past Reading then this FA Cup can really open up for us this season. Man City or Villa away doesn't exactly look terrifying. Villa are no great shakes and we always do well against Money City.

If we reach the semis then two of Birmingham, Bolton, Stoke and West Ham will be there. Wouldn't we fancy ourselves against any of these sides? But also, of course, one of Man Utd and Arsenal will be semi-finalists too.
Tom Bowers
22   Posted 23/02/2011 at 18:10:32

This season we have had 3 drawn games against Chelski with one to play. In 2 of those games we had very late equalizers. Could just be we have their number although we have yet to beat them.
However, usually lots of luck helps teams win cup games and we were so lucky last Saturday. It may well indeed be our year despite the problems with our strike force.
We just need the defence to keep up the good work.
Karl Masters
23   Posted 23/02/2011 at 18:23:40

That match was the perfect example of how you should never give up... ever!

Of course we can win it, but don't underestimate Reading.
Karl Masters
24   Posted 23/02/2011 at 18:28:56

Tom Bowers ? Chelsea haven't beaten us since the Cup Final, that's 5 matches now and although most of the games have ended in draws that game at Wembley is the only time they have beaten us the last 8 meetings.
Andrew James
25   Posted 23/02/2011 at 21:07:30

Reading, my home town, are a good side at the moment but less illustrious than the Svevolution going on at Leicester or QPR who the London media are obsessed with.

We have to start well and give them nothing. If we start badly and go missing for 20 minutes, they are just the side to nick a goal and work like crazy to defend it.

I am actually more nervous about this one than Chelsea away which I suppose speaks volumes for how our season has gone.
James Stewart
26   Posted 23/02/2011 at 22:19:10

Depends on Saha and if he plays in the cup games. Without him we simply can't score enough goals to win it.
Jamie Crowley
27   Posted 23/02/2011 at 22:53:13

Shaun @16:

3 kids... YOU my friend need to breed more.

5 sons - Americans who would give a nut to play for Everton some day. Hence all the money and soccer tournaments around the sunny state of Florida...

Get to 5, then tell a man to breed! :0)

ps: the back yard has a lined pitch with full goals, "18-yard" boxes, the whole thing. Mini-Goodison right out the back door! If you're gonna kick around, might as well play a game with the boys and the neighborhood kids....

Mark Murphy
28   Posted 24/02/2011 at 10:31:29

Jamie @27

Actually Its Mark@16 and YOU my friend need to READ more ;o)

3 boys as it stands but who says I've stopped?

(Actually I have but if I had a back yard big enough to hold a football pitch like yours I would be tempted to add to my team!)

Good luck!

Gerard Carey
29   Posted 24/02/2011 at 11:24:35

Super piece Morgan, brings back memories. Long time since I was a kid, but still get a lump in the throat everytime we play. The difference a win makes. An FA Cup Final win??!! I would be on a high for months after that!!
Norman Merrill
30   Posted 24/02/2011 at 12:08:10

Andrew, 25.
With having friends who support Reading, they text me as soon as the draw was made, giving me a warning. I mentioned in my comment 15, that they are a talented side, so we will have to be really up for it, and I am sure we will be.

I'm looking forward to a good cup match.

Karl Masters
31   Posted 24/02/2011 at 19:03:50

Reading have a midfielder called Leigterwood who is a powerful tackler and makes them tick. The sort of player that we should be looking to snap up on our budget these days... Moyesie will get a good look at him, that's for sure.
Stephen Kenny
32   Posted 25/02/2011 at 12:53:32

Karl,

He's at his level there I think.
Mike Jones
33   Posted 25/02/2011 at 22:15:15

Morgan, great post. Fantastic feeling from such a young supporter; it uplifted me. Brian Denton, post 8, what's with the language and attitude?