Vellios, The Secret Weapon?

Well, the lad makes his debut for the ressies and scores, by all accounts a well taken effort ? now this may be well off the mark, but I would have him on our bench and I will explain why.

He is a complete unknown so data on him is limited, he has played league football in Greece and has scored against Olympiakos ? the equivalent of say Sunderland ? what I mean is he has played in front of a big crowd so should not be to fazed by the Goodison atmosphere.

He is 6ft 3in ? taller than any forward we currently have ? I also noticed that he looks a lot more mature physically than the other players in the current reserve squad ? take a look on the official site.

I'm not saying he is going to tear up the Premier League, merely suggesting it might be worth getting 10-15 mins out of him over the next few games, this lad could prove to be the secret weapon Moyes has been looking for.

Chris Keightley, Harwich     Posted 24/02/2011 at 12:20:21

Comments

Dave Lynch
1   Posted 24/02/2011 at 14:19:10

Fucking Hell! Two secret wapons at our disposal, I can hardly contain myself!

The lad has got more chance of signing for Barca and replacing Messi than he has of getting near our first team. Only chance he has is if all our strikers bar him come down with the plague. Even then, Moyes would probably play Osman upfront.

James Cadwaladr
2   Posted 24/02/2011 at 15:21:27

At 6 ft 3 in, Moyes will have signed him to develop him into a centre half.
Brian Waring
3   Posted 24/02/2011 at 15:31:37

Wow! We've got to be careful here, with all these secret weapons, we'll end up getting investigated by NATO.
Dave Lynch
4   Posted 24/02/2011 at 16:19:57

Brian... We defo have no WMD at Goodison. If only we did.
Brian Waring
5   Posted 24/02/2011 at 16:40:20

Dave, surely Kenwright comes under WMD?????
Alan McGuffog
6   Posted 24/02/2011 at 17:13:45

AND we've signed another centre-half!!!
Gavin Ramejkis
7   Posted 24/02/2011 at 17:15:12

Victor is also 6'3" but then would you really call him a striker? Was he playing as a lone striker for the rezzies? If he was, Moyes will be dribbling all over himself that he's finally found one.
Stephen Kenny
8   Posted 24/02/2011 at 17:43:26

Hopefully he will be a bit less secret than the other weapon.

The question I keep asking myself is how poor are Silva, Gueye, Vellios etc if Anichebe gets in before them? Truly worrying.

Gavin, I've seen Victor a few times up close and he's not 6' 3".
David Thomas
9   Posted 24/02/2011 at 18:08:38

Gavin,

"Victor is also 6'3"

He is never 6'3 in a million years. He is about 3 inches shorter than that.
Gavin Ramejkis
10   Posted 24/02/2011 at 18:15:04

Boy's thats what you get with Wiki, I thought he was only about 6' myself but checked his Wiki entry, they have Louis at 5'11½" , Beckford at 6'2" and Victor at 6'3" ? maybe he wrote his own Wiki entry?
Steve Cotton
11   Posted 24/02/2011 at 19:12:50

Victor has been to my house as he was at school with my daughter and he is 6' 2". I know cos I am 6' and he was taller than me but not as tall as my son who is 6' 4".

Ok!
David Thomas
12   Posted 24/02/2011 at 19:52:47

Victor is about 6' 0".

He is not only 1-2 inches shorter than Fellaini is he guys?
Lee Courtliff
13   Posted 24/02/2011 at 19:53:30

It doesn't matter how tall Vic is or is not. He is a fuckin' lard arse who should be fucked off asap. I know nothing about Vellios but, if I had to choose between him and Vic, I would pick this unknown Greek lad everyday of the week. If he turns out to be shite... so what? Vic is and he has a lot of Prem experience.

Maybe Vellios will turn into a half decent striker given the many chances that Vic has. Only one way to find out... Can't see Moyes pitching him in anytime soon though.

Steve Cotton
14   Posted 24/02/2011 at 20:29:08

Dave Thomas ? I have stood next to the guy for 2 hours and i assure you he is a big lad, well above me and I am 6' 0". Fellaini is 6' 5" or fractionally under by the way.

And yes, he is a lard arse... but a big one.
David Thomas
15   Posted 24/02/2011 at 21:12:32

Steve Cotton,

I am 6'-2" and have a picture of me stood next to Victor after an Everton game at the end of last season right in front of me now. I am a good couple of inches taller than him in this photo. So if Vic is 6'-2" now he must have grown 2 inches in the last 8 months or so.

Mo is 6'-4". There is an article that was in the Evertonian magazine recently were he states this himself.
David Price
16   Posted 24/02/2011 at 21:31:30

John Terry told me he stood at the side of Vic for minutes on end before he moved and thought he was quite tall...
Tom Bowers
17   Posted 24/02/2011 at 21:29:44

He wouldn't be the first young newcomer to slide into obscurity at Everton but surely he may get a few minutes before the end of the season? We do have others awaiting a baptism but it may not happen until we are 100% safe.

One word of caution, being tall doesn't make you a danger if you don't have timing. If Crouch had timing, he would be a worldbeater... and need we say anything about the stringbean at Birmingham?

Matteo Rosingana
18   Posted 24/02/2011 at 21:39:07

Height doesn't come into it when you're lying on the ground... it's a bit of a leveller.

What height's Heitinga? How round is Round?
Shaun Lyon
19   Posted 24/02/2011 at 21:44:59

David ? at number 16 ? Vic's immobility was intentional and entirely understandable ? his girlfriend was on the other side at the time.
Micheal Lynch
20   Posted 24/02/2011 at 22:16:35

"...fazed by the goodison atmosphere". Would not worry there. He might wonder is he in a Sunday league game in the local Park.
Davie Turner
21   Posted 24/02/2011 at 22:24:05

Quote "Dave, surely Kenwright comes under WMD?????"

Weapon of mass delusion?

More on topic, If he does well in the Reserves I reckon he should get a run-out; I doubt he will but there you go.
Kase Chow
22   Posted 24/02/2011 at 23:59:30

People hate big Vic on here so much they actually deny his height!!!!

Only on Toffeeweb!!!

Amazing!
Danny Broderick
23   Posted 25/02/2011 at 01:11:12

Back to the original point, this is never going to happen. The lad's scored a consolation goal in a thrashing in the reserves, that in itself hardly justifies being in the reserve team, whether he's 6'-3" or not!
Adam Fenlon
24   Posted 25/02/2011 at 01:33:23

I blame Moyes for not nurturing Big Vic's height enough over the years!

He's got a track record of failing to assist players to develop vertically! ;)
Mark Stone
25   Posted 25/02/2011 at 08:22:05

I want to know what Steve Cotton and Victor Anichebe were doing standing still next to each other for two hours? Steve, are you Jermaine Beckford and was this a game that went to extra time?
Steve Cotton
26   Posted 25/02/2011 at 08:35:36

Mark Stone, he was at a BBq at my house, as a friend of my daughter, and boyfriend Adam Hammill was there as well. I was not looking into Victor's eyes for 2 hours but I stood talking to him mano a mano if that counts.... You can come this summer if you bring your own cans of ale.
Chris Keightley
27   Posted 25/02/2011 at 08:35:30

Moyes probably won't put him in but why not? He has played 24 league and cup games in Greece and has scored more goals in 40 odd games for Iraklis and Greece Under-19s than big lard arse Victor has in 100 ? so give him a run out!
Mark Stone
28   Posted 25/02/2011 at 08:41:19

Anichebe and Hamill, eh? Now there's two players I'd like to exchange for each other!
Liam Reilly
29   Posted 25/02/2011 at 09:19:40

This thread has quickly disintegrated from Vellios being on the bench, to Vic not being tall enough, jeezus.

Unfortunately, just can't see Vellios making the bench, but wouldn't it be great to see some new blood in an otherwise very dissapointing season. Perhaps when we are no longer in danger, err hopefully.
James Cadwaladr
30   Posted 25/02/2011 at 09:23:19

I've had a photo taken with Victor, I am 6ft 2in and he is taller than me.
James Cadwaladr
31   Posted 25/02/2011 at 09:24:39

Davie Turner ? Kenwright is just a Weapon. Simple as.
Chris Fisher
32   Posted 25/02/2011 at 09:29:58

Anichebe is 6ft ? it's on the official site and various others! What a strange argument!
Tommy Coleman
33   Posted 25/02/2011 at 09:35:38

My Girlfriend said Anichebe is 6'-1" when wearing flat shoes and 6'-3" when wearing high heels.

Fact.
Tommy Coleman
34   Posted 25/02/2011 at 09:47:26

Plus, if he's wearing one flat shoe and one high heel, he is 6'-2".
Kevin Jones
35   Posted 25/02/2011 at 09:44:00

I'm 5'-4" and can confirm he's bigger than me. Problem is he looks shorter because most of the time he's fecking perpendicular.
Anthony Hughes
36   Posted 25/02/2011 at 09:56:46

Doesn't matter what height he is, he can't jump to head the ball anyway. I've never come across a player who just can't get off the ground to challenge for a header.
Dan Brierley
37   Posted 25/02/2011 at 11:19:24

I guess nobody knows how tall he is, because he is never on his feet long enough to be measured!

Back to the original point (which incidentally doesn't even mention Vic), haven't got a clue about this guy. But it seems to be the strategy of the club to keep bringing in these young players, in a hope that we get the next Coleman. But for every Coleman, there is a Scott Spencer, Cody Arnoux etc. Until he has played his first senior game, I don't really know what we can discuss about him. Nobody knows what his potential is at this time.
Tommy Gourlay
38   Posted 25/02/2011 at 11:31:13

@8 Stephen Kenny

"How poor are Silva, Gueye, Vellios?"

I saw Silva against Forfar in pre-season and he didn't look too good. It wasn't as if Forfar had any underrated but good players against him though because Vaughan made the defenders look woeful for the first 45 minutes before being subbed.

It does sound like ? based on the line-up from the reserve game ? that Vellios would've been playing on his own up front doesn't it? (Baxter tends to play more off the striker than as one.)
Stephen Kenny
39   Posted 25/02/2011 at 12:46:13

Tommy,

If the reserves play 4-5-1 then it looks like it's here to stay!

I've never seen any of the fringe players in action but I do know that Victor, since he came back from injury, has not looked like scoring once.

For me, big and bustling is suited to Rugby, I want strikers who have intelligent movement, good finishing and a goalscorer's instinct. I appreciate these things cost but, as we've seen this season, no goals = no points.

Hopefully the end of this season wil see a bit of a clearout.
Chris Matheson
40   Posted 25/02/2011 at 12:55:29

If Vellios does get into the first team, it will be like having a new signing.

Oh, hang on....
Alasdair Mackay
41   Posted 25/02/2011 at 13:30:38

I'm going on record as the Evertonian that rates Victor Anichebe.

I have posted before that he has things he needs to work on (first touch, delivery of final ball), but I think he brings things to the side and he would be in or around my first team.
Alasdair Mackay
42   Posted 25/02/2011 at 13:38:03

Also - I don't care wether he is 6' or 6'3" - he is tall and powerful. 3 inches here or there doesn't really matter when you are already bigger and stronger than 90% of the people who will be marking you.
Brian Waring
43   Posted 25/02/2011 at 14:31:10

Alasdair ? "He is tall and powerful" and "Bigger and stronger than 90% of the people who will be marking you". If that's the case, then why is it that, most of the time, he is on his arse whinging like a fucking tart???
Mark Stone
44   Posted 25/02/2011 at 15:12:51

Alisdair, I rated Big Vic when he was playing on the right last year and he was running at players, scaring the shit out of them. I don't rate him as a stiker though, certainly not from what I've seen this season.
Gavin Ramejkis
45   Posted 25/02/2011 at 15:19:49

Steve #27, off at a tangent but did anyone ask Hammill if Everton had shown any interest in him at all?
Ray Roche
46   Posted 25/02/2011 at 15:11:32

Alasdair Mackay ? "3 inches here or there doesn't really matter"
Really?
Ask yer missus....
Lee Courtliff
47   Posted 25/02/2011 at 17:24:01

I really enjoyed this thread, very funny. But I didn't actually call Vic a "lard" arse.I n my post i called him a "mard" arse but the editor obviously decided that he preferred "lard", and it seems to have caught on. Doesn't matter.... Vic is both.

By the way, I am 6ft-3in tall and i doubt Vic is taller than me, he's about 6ft-1in, tops. What the fuck this has to do with anything I don't know, Tevez is only a shortarse but look how many goals he scores. Vic just isn't a striker... where was he in the shootout? There you go.

Tom Bowers
48   Posted 25/02/2011 at 18:41:12

No matter what Big Vic's height is he just doesn't cut the mustard.
There was a time he looked like making his mark until Nolan crocked him but he just looks like a 5 minute substitute these days. Okay, we may say give him an extended run but personally I don't think he has a gift in any department except power which by itself is of little use.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
49   Posted 25/02/2011 at 19:01:04

Oopps, sorry Lee, my bad. I shoulda checked. "Mard arse" fits him far better... L & M ? very close on the keyboard...

Bit like Z & V. So I changed "Tevev" to "Tevez" ? hope that was right? ... and added a bunch of spaces here and there. Can't quite figure out why anyone would put spaces between words but not between sentences or after commas and full stops? Is this a new webstyle I'm unaware of???

But I shouldn't complain... if everyone wrote as well as that nice Mr Fields and his four-part blockbuster, I'd have nothing to do. Mind you, since he said virtually nothing we didn't already know in all that text, I did feel somewhat flat after wading through it all...

And then I saw he'd sent his webtome to other sites as well... the bloody cheek! Perhaps we need something claiming copyright for submitted materials???

[Oops.. I seem to have gone a bit off topic. I blame the cold. The ToffeeWeb Towers field office was down to ?10 last night after plenty of snow, and tonight it will be ?13... whatever happened to global warming?]
Stephen Kenny
50   Posted 25/02/2011 at 19:20:41

Michael,

Perhaps Mard arse is a description that fits more than just Victor?
Gareth Atkinson
51   Posted 25/02/2011 at 19:21:41

I once stood next to Big Vic as well... didn't catch how big he was as he fell over almost instantly and sat on the floor sulking.
David Hallwood
52   Posted 25/02/2011 at 19:32:42

The debate rages how tall Vic is... but how Big is he? Ooooo, matron!
James Flynn
53   Posted 25/02/2011 at 19:58:26

Well, this is one of those discussions that keeps me coming back to ToffeeWeb. What a bunch of characters.
John Pickles
54   Posted 25/02/2011 at 22:41:37

Maybe it's a Nigerian 6' 3"!
Shaun Lyon
55   Posted 25/02/2011 at 22:57:27

For any Blues reading this who don't happen to come from Merseyside or the Northwest and are confused... the term 'mard-arse' refers to a spoilt brat, whinging type of personality, often a child.

As applied to a footballer, it would refer to the sort that constantly moans, berates the ref and tries to get opposition players carded or sent off. A typical phrase might be: "I can't stand that twat Gerrard. He's a right mard(y) arse."

Wayne Smyth
56   Posted 26/02/2011 at 01:10:06

I have a photo of "Big" Vic, and he's only 3 inches tall.... so there.
James Hollister
57   Posted 26/02/2011 at 08:14:54

Shaun Lyon ? term coined by wollybacks, end off.
Lee Courtliff
58   Posted 26/02/2011 at 14:01:12

Hope you are in a better mood today Mr Editor. If not... maybe you should go for a drink with Vic. I think you would get along really well.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
59   Posted 26/02/2011 at 14:16:33

I was quite happy, Lee, till I saw another post from you with your trademark lack of spaces between sentences. Come con, fess up... did something happen in your childhood?
Lee Courtliff
60   Posted 26/02/2011 at 15:43:36

Sorry about my lack of spaces. At least i have a trademark,i suppose. What does "come con" mean?