Reading Attendance

Looking on the e-ticketing section of evertonfc.com, I am surprised at just how many seats are available (no, I do not work at the club).

Anyone who was at Stamford Bridge knows just how we carried the team through that game and into the next round.

Please, I urge fellow fans to buy a ticket and cheer the team on. We need a big game atmosphere with 35-40,000 Evertonians, not 25,000!! I just don't understand the apathy.

We are two games from returning to Wembley. Let's pull together, get behind the team and we will succeed.

Tim Nolan, Liverpool     Posted 26/02/2011 at 22:29:35

Comments

David O'Keefe
1   Posted 27/02/2011 at 00:19:35

Tim, it's not apathy. It's called disillusionment; nobody has any hope for the future under the current regime, so why should they prop it up with their cash in the middle of a recession?
Gavin Ramejkis
2   Posted 27/02/2011 at 01:37:13

It's a horrible Catch 22 - every good result gives BK a stay of execution. I don't give a shit if he cries on TV or not as tears won't pay off the debts he has ran up as Chairman. I'm going as I'm one of many that have auto cup on their season ticket but that's not a reflection of BK it's just what I've always done and thanks to it got to Wembley twice when we finally managed it under DM. The recession tinged with the disillusionment David points out is the driving force behind empty seats, BK thick skinned or not is going to feel the pain of supporters voting with their feet, 11 years and fuck all change, enough is finally enough.
Alex Kociuba
3   Posted 27/02/2011 at 01:47:07

nearly 38,000 for today's game with Sunderland which I thought was quite good. Who would pay good money for an obstructed view against Reading? If Goodison was pillar-less I think it we'd be getting attendances of 45,000.

Who in this day and age wants to sit on a wooden seat, with no leg room and a pillar in the way? Its much more comfortable, convenient not to mention cheaper to go to the pub or watch at home.
Alex Kociuba
4   Posted 27/02/2011 at 01:47:07

Alex Kociuba
5   Posted 27/02/2011 at 01:58:10

I'm used to sitting in the Park End now, and my Reading ticket is there too. I wouldn't waste money with anything other than a completely unobstructed view unless it was against a top side or an important game.
Dave Wilson
6   Posted 27/02/2011 at 08:26:42

Is right Alex.

Fans up and down the country are struggling to find the wedge for two games a week.

I think we will get a bit of a late rush, you have to remember this fixture didn't exist until a week ago and many people ? particualarly the ones taking youngsters ? will have try to rearrange their finances.

Is it on the box?
Craig Taylor
7   Posted 27/02/2011 at 09:59:19

Surely an FA Cup match is an important game! I am against the current regime as much as anyone but we can't stop supporting the team or wanting them to succeed in all competitions. FA Cup is our final slim chance of Europe so let's get behind the boys!
Craig Taylor
8   Posted 27/02/2011 at 10:03:36

It is on ESPN.
Duncan McDine
9   Posted 27/02/2011 at 10:48:55

I think its quite a large percentage of the non-season-ticketers to be travelling from a fair distance (I'm 4 hours away on a good day on the M5 / M6!!). Not a big deal if its the weekend, but these midweek fixtures (arranged at fairly short notice) aren't easy to get to.

I imagine the win on Saturday will encourage a good turn out on the gates, so expect the best part of 32 - 35k.
Larry Boner
10   Posted 27/02/2011 at 11:12:34

I have not checked, but are Everton doing reduced ticket prices, especially as the game is on ESPN?
David Parks
11   Posted 27/02/2011 at 11:35:14

Duncan is right ? 200 miles at 10 days notice is tough with work, trains etc. First cup game I will miss in 4 years.

If we or City/Villa go to a replay, we will only have 5 days to sell tickets, sort travel as well, which, knowing our club, could turn into a farce.
Marc Williams
12   Posted 27/02/2011 at 11:43:40

As soon as Kenwright is gone then myself & my two daughters will be back more regularly, along with countless others I know that have dropped by the wayside, due to the lies & let-downs during his tenure.
Simon Jenkins
13   Posted 27/02/2011 at 12:53:41

I don't think it is disillusionment, because as others have pointed out, 37,000+ for Sunderland yesterday, following on from 38,000+ for the previous home game vs Blackpool.

There's no disillusionment amonst the vast majority of match-going blues, as evidenced by no protests ever takling place that people love to talk about, nor is there ever any anti-board or anti-Kenwright chants.

The Reading attendance will be what it is likely because 2 home games in the space of 3 days is hard for people to afford in this day and age. To attend both games by oneself would cost a non-season ticket holder close to £60. Add in a couple of kids and we're talking circa £120 for 2 home games in 3 days, one of which ? the Reading game ? is live on tv.

I think the pricing of the Reading game could have been lower. £25 for a non-season ticket holder is steep for a game vs a Championship side. It should have been at most no more than £20, and if possible, £15 for adults and a £5 for kids. They would have got a 34,000-ish attendance with that. As it stands, I reckon we'll be looking at 27-28,000. Missed opportunity I think.
Jon Beck
14   Posted 27/02/2011 at 12:29:44

Countless others Mark? Where will we put them all? New stadium in Kirkby maybe? Anyway, 7:30pm on a Tuesday must be difficult for many but I'm sure those that can be there, will be.
David O'Keefe
15   Posted 27/02/2011 at 13:46:12

Simon: How many will renew their season tickets next year? Attendances have been averaging 34,000 this season ? a drop of 2000.

As for the season ticket question you and I can't answer that with anything more than a: Watch this space.
Michael Kenrick
16   Posted 27/02/2011 at 15:41:54

Not so, David. We did have a couple of 34k games but the average attendance this season for home league matches (the usual measure) is 35,851. A bit down on last season's overall average of 36,725 but, with those big upcoming home games, the average this season is likely to be over 36,000.
David O'Keefe
17   Posted 27/02/2011 at 16:52:23

Thanks for the correction. Serves me right for relying on Prentice.
Brad Eastwood
18   Posted 27/02/2011 at 17:06:56

Does anyone know whether I'll be able to turn up on Tuesday and buy a ticket there and then considering the attendance is supposed to be quite low at the moment.
David Thomas
19   Posted 27/02/2011 at 21:38:15

Tim,

Don't worry mate. The attendance might be low, but if we win this game you can be sure the people staying away will be jumping on the bandwagon asking if there are any spares for City / Villa away.
Duncan McDine
20   Posted 28/02/2011 at 16:59:13

Brad, you can guarrantee it. Just don't get there too late, cos there might be a fair few doing the same, and you know what our box office is like!!!