Our centre halves

I was doing a bit of profound thinking (on the bog, obviously) and I wondered if we'd seen Heitinga and Jagielka play together at centre back this season?

If so, how did they do?

I'm not for one second suggesting this should be the pairing we employ as I think Distin has done a more than reasonable job there all season ? but the old fella's not getting any younger and with our policy of not being able to afford anyone at all, added to the fact Yobo's probably played his last game for Everton, is this a feasible partnership for the future?
Mike Dillon, Liverpool     Posted 27/02/2011 at 08:56:31

Comments

John Crook
1   Posted 27/02/2011 at 14:22:11

Mike. the Heitinga-Jagielka partnership has not happened this season. I think most Everton fans were wanting to see Jagielka and Heitinga as their preferred pairing.

Distin has been our best centre-half this season though and has stayed injury free so therefore he doesn't deserve to loose his place. Jagielka, to me, hasn't recovered fully since his long-term injury although there were signs in the last 2 games he could be close to his best.

Heitinga, for me, has done well in the 6/7 games (Bolton away excluded) he has started alongside Distin since the turn of 2011 but he quite clearly has a sulk on him and appears very arrogant.

In my opinion, you need 4 centre halfs in your 1st team squad and I was actually disappointed to loose Yobo ? I felt Yobo would not start for us but an experienced Nigerian international such as Yobo would be a more than useful squad player when we have injuries and 2 games in a week (such as the Xmas period when we had to deploy Hibbert at centre half).

With 4 games in the next 13 days (assuming we dont have any Reading hiccups) it wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of changes in the centre-half pairings just to keep things fresh. Although, if Fellaini is injured, then you would probably expect Heitinga to play in midfield.

David Hallwood
2   Posted 27/02/2011 at 18:08:52

Just finished watching the League Cup Final, and you realise why Arsenal want Jags. With our current financial plight, don't be surprised if he goes for £18-20 mill in the summer. In other words, there's little chance of seeing them perform together.
Trevor Lynes
3   Posted 27/02/2011 at 18:18:32

See if Arsenal want Heitinga....I would hang on to Jags as long as we can.
Problem is we only have three centre backs and every team has at least that many....our squad is really bare bones and we MUST hang on to all the good players who WANT to play for us long term.
Peter Askins
4   Posted 27/02/2011 at 19:30:23

I really want Shane Duffy to come through the ranks and become a first team regular. We seem to get "bullied" in the air by the bigger forwards prevalent in the game these days, like Kevin Davies, Zigic, Andy Carroll, and everybody at Stoke City, so Duffy would provide much-needed height at the back. Ideally, he could be schooled alongside Jagielka and Distin for the next few years, so to this extent, I would be happy to take cash for Heitinga this summer, as the "lesser" of our key centre backs.
Ray Robinson
5   Posted 27/02/2011 at 19:59:15

Is it just me ? but I don't rate Heitinga as a Premier League centre back. He may have played in the World Cup for Holland but he doesn't seem properly equipped to play in the PL. For a start, he can't compete effectively in the air, secondly he's quite slow, and thirdly he shirks tackles. And don't even get me started on his attitude...!
Ian McDowell
6   Posted 27/02/2011 at 22:12:08

I agree with Ray Robinson about Heitinga. I would like to sell him in the summer, i would prefer Yobo.
Saegaran Kana
7   Posted 28/02/2011 at 02:58:49

I wouldn't sell any of our players but If we can't keep Heitinga happy, then we should sell him. Arsenal can have him instead of Jagielka and I believe we could get around £8mill. That's a decent profit and should get us a good cover for Baines. I agree that Duffy should be given game time to develop alongside Jag and Distin.
Kase Chow
8   Posted 28/02/2011 at 09:00:31

Hetinga is totally overrated. Yes he has the odd good game here and there but to be a GREAT centre back you need consistency. He hasn't got it.

Also, he thinks he's a hard man but ducks out of tackles. Plus he doesn't defend in a 'polished' way like Lescott used to, or in a 'commanding' way like Distin, or even a 'dogged' way like Jags; he's constantly holding play and scrapping... quite simply he's decent but ain't great.
David Price
9   Posted 28/02/2011 at 09:21:38

Good shout to get good money off Arsenal for Heitinga but I'd be surprised if Wenger goes for it. He likes to sign the younger player who he can dictate his style of play to. Agree about Duffy, think he is an outstanding prospect to replace Distin eventually.
Ben Jones
10   Posted 28/02/2011 at 11:47:24

I think we should sell Heitinga, definitely, as we can buy cheaper or younger alternatives. He's not gonna beat Jagielka in the team nor Distin to be fair.

People say he's a World Cup finalist centre back, but to be fair, who else do Holland have? He plays with Mathijsen who's a good player for Hamburg, but I even think Ooijer was in that squad (remember the oldish guy from Blackburn?!)

I think we could sell for him for around £8 million. We can see someone younger and hungrier for less than that, and concentrate the rest on another target or contribute to the debts.

Selling Jagielka is nuts! He's a far better defender than Heitinga. Him against Sunderland and Gyan (who is quality by the way) shows how good he is. Just been unlucky with injuries and hasn't been consistent enough, if we believe Mr Moyes.
Mark Yeomans
11   Posted 28/02/2011 at 13:50:35

I have to say, for all the tub-thumping during the penalty shoot-out over the Ashley Cole barge... We would've been up in arms if that would have been done to one of our players! Disgusting gamesmanship... anyone else think that??? Absolutely showed him in negative petulant light I thought.