Well worth waiting...

With a 200-mile trip home facing us last Saturday, my 11-year-old son, Daniel, and I risked missing the TV highlights by staying behind to see if we could grab a few autographs and pictures with the players as they left the Goodison car park.

It was well worth it as Bily, Rodwell, Jagielka and Howard were all only too keen to sign and pose for a photo. Yes, they are well paid and should do it, but they don't have to and it's nice to see the Everton players' appreciation of the fans in this way.

Cahill, Baines and Saha also appear in Daniel's photo album from a previous visit. Most people I speak to assume Premier League players are surrounded by security men and/or are prima donnas. They are surprised to hear how co-operative the players are at Goodison.

A special mention this time to Seamus Coleman who signed for everyone until he got halfway along the barriers, then turned to meet up with pals in the car park. Hearing the shouts of those who hadn't got a signature, he turned and said not to worry as he would be back. Sure enough, when his friends drove off, he returned and resumed where he had left off.

A nice touch and the warm glow from the win over Sunderland was enhanced as we finally left in the darkness to start our trip home. And we got home in time to see Beckford's goals again!

Mike McQuaid, Lanarkshire     Posted 28/02/2011 at 23:41:01

Comments

Andrew Fair
1   Posted 01/03/2011 at 10:00:24

I had a dream last night that we sold Coleman to Chelsea. Woke up in a proper state. Thank god for reality. Not anything to do with the topic I know but had to get it out.
David Price
2   Posted 01/03/2011 at 10:10:05

Nice story Mike and a fine example of behaviour for your lad to see.
Peter Warren
3   Posted 01/03/2011 at 13:21:27

Nice to know... in the past I have seen Fellani in the street on a Tuesday afternoon, I think it was after beating Man City away this season. I commended his performance and was amazed and how thankful and humble he was for me simply saying "Well done and great game and you made my week". Whilst we all want better players, people like Anelka, Drogba, Cole etc etc would be very difficult to support.

I do think the players at Everton have a real good rapport with the fans ? that's why people get on the backs of people like Heitinga who don't seem to get it.
James Cadwaladr
4   Posted 01/03/2011 at 13:36:13

All the players are great in this regard. If anyone wants anything signing, get to the Park End 1hr 45mins before kick-off and soon enough you'll have a shirt signed by the whole squad and lots of photos. All seem really happy to do it.
Jimmy Hacking
5   Posted 01/03/2011 at 17:32:30

I'm reluctant to use the word "nice" cos my English teacher use to tell me it was a really boring word, but this is a really nice story. I've always had the impression in recent years that not one of our players is arrogant or mean-spirited off the pitch; in fact, I honestly doubt Moyes would buy anyone with a troublesome personality.

The lads can hold their heads up high.