Time to go

I have been a life long fan but, after watching tonight's performance against Reading, I am ashamed to be an Everton fan.

Sorry, Mr Moyes, but it's time to go, you simply have run out of ideas, you cannot motivate the team, and as a result you have made us consistantly inconsistent. Quite simply, it's time for change ? not only with the manager but half the squad as they are not good enough to wear the sacred blue shirt.
Ian Price, Warrington     Posted 01/03/2011 at 21:39:08

Comments

Phil Cuthbertson
1   Posted 01/03/2011 at 21:29:17

After this total disgrace, the manager needs to go... omg.
Joe McMahon
2   Posted 01/03/2011 at 21:29:29

It concerns me that Moyes will be entering his 10th season as manager with nothing to show for it. Nevermind Premier League history th,at's probrably top flight history. Birmingham showed us it can be done 3 days ago.
Tony Hughes
3   Posted 01/03/2011 at 21:32:02

IMWT??, what a sick fucking sick joke this club is now under this clown!!!!
Chris Jones
4   Posted 01/03/2011 at 22:04:41

I live just south of Christchurch, NZ. It's been a pretty shite week as you can imagine. The Sunderland game cheered me up for a while, but this ........

For what it's worth, I reckon Davey should go. He's done well on very limited resources over his tenure, but the club needs an injection of new ideas and enthusiasm. It shows in the tactics and the level of commitment of most of the players.

Thanks, and goodbye.
Andy Crooks
5   Posted 02/03/2011 at 00:59:52

I wrote an item to the mailbag yesterday in which I stated that if David Moyes pulled another rabbit from the hat the heat would be off Kenwright once again. I actually feel quite foolish. Well, the heat is back on again and it gives me no pleasure to state the following:

David Moyes is no longer fit to manage Everton and Bill Kenwright is even less fit to be chairman than he ever was.

Mr Moyes was happy with his squad at the start of the season, is he still happy? Tonight cannot be defended. Let's not hear "who will replace him" or the even more cretinous "be careful what you wish for".

Walter Smith was sacked after cup humiliation, David Moyes should be gone by the end of the week. The removal of Kenwright will take longer but the time is up for this over the hill double act.

The club have turned full circle. If Moyes has any integrity which has not been drained by Kenwright he should summon it up and resign, denouncing the chairman as he goes.

Daniel Johnson
6   Posted 02/03/2011 at 01:09:47

Moyes will NEVER be sacked by Kenwright.
Russell Buckley
7   Posted 02/03/2011 at 02:03:33

I honestly believe the Kenwright - Moyes combo would stick together after relegation.
Ernie Baywood
8   Posted 02/03/2011 at 04:10:29

The team just poiny-blank refused to play for him. Whether it was because they dislike Moyes, or dislike Kenwright, or want to be dropped, or wanted to disrespect the fans, or are just a bunch of lazy cunts, the fact remains that they refused to play for him.

If it was me, then I'd walk right now. You can't manage something like that and just carry on working with the same blokes tomorrow.

I dream of a new manager right now. People always ask who would be better but anyone would be better right now ? just for the initial lift it would give the club. Not like it can get worse than tonight is it?

Moyes out, any fucker in until the summer, re-evaluate then.
Arnez Desmond
9   Posted 02/03/2011 at 04:57:27

I watched the game and I personally feel the manager is not to blame if he does not have the resources. The chairman should go. Look at the bench... Moyes has lost players each window without having any resource to get a sufficient replacement.

The guy looks just as pissed as us fans ? just see his facial reactions as he looks to the bench prior to any change. Given, the choice, he would have replaced the entire team barring Jags, Baines and possibly Howard. Fellaini and Rodwell will be the next to leave and possibly during the summer.

One thing is certain... Bily needs to go while there is still value and Anichebe can't play football for nuts and Bily needs to be sold. Moyes has been good for Everton and I believe with proper resources next season, he will re-establish his reputation and Everton in the EPL again.

Jason Lam
10   Posted 02/03/2011 at 05:53:20

I played a bit of footie last night. The conditions weren't too great, raining, concrete pitches, kit clashes, shit teammates, we didn't even have enough mates so picked a couple of bystanders to make up numbers. Still thoroughly enjoyed it even though I got home by 12am and had to pay for my own journey expenses.

Dewormed the cat took all of 5 minutes as I just couldn't get the pill in as it clawed its way through my bloodstained arms. Got to bed by 2am and to work enjoy this morning.

Fucking hell, if Sir David of Moyes can't motivate his players to at least enjoy the occasion let alone give a professional performance he should resign as he's not doing his job in MANAGING HIS PLAYERS. The bums are paid a fortune and its your fucking job to get the best out of them.

Craig Taylor
11   Posted 02/03/2011 at 06:41:42

Moyes deserves more respect from you lot. If you can't see his hands are tied by BK and the board than you are simple fools. No, he hasn't won anything, but the team have overachieved in the majority of seasons he has overseen.

This year has been shocking but he was given no backing to carry on taking us forward. Other teams have, and over took us. Quite simply no one could manage this team at this club any better. The board and BK are the problem. They need to go.

In fact Moyes should go, purely for himself. And to prove you lot wrong. God if he went today we would be in the shit. Is Sam Alardyce really what you want? Because that is what you would get. Entitled to your opinions yes, but wake up for god sake.

Michael Brien
12   Posted 02/03/2011 at 07:28:05

Sorry Craig ? look at some facts please: Beckford scores 2 on Saturday, he has looked in better form so of course Moyes doesn't start with him, he has him on the bench. I wouldn't have thought that could be classed as a good piece of man management.

The board do not decide the tactics or choose which players to sign ? that is what David Moyes is paid to do and paid quite well. He has persisted with the tactic of a lone striker. I would estimate in 95% of our games that has been his tactic. If I can predict that then don't you think other people can ? such as the coaches/managers of the other teams we play ?

I think that we have a good squad of players... but you have to have good leadership and management. I think that Moyes has shown in his tactics that he is predictable and he is lacking in ideas. He doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of the players.

Owen Coyle at Bolton has transformed their style of play - with virtually the same squad of players that was there with Gary Megson. Elmander was signed by Megson for instance, yet Coyle is the man who has got the best from those players.

I think the same can happen at Everton, another manager can get more from our players and have them playing to their true potential.

Moyes is a decent guy, but I think if you gave him a £100M transfer budget he would still produce the same type of results. If you think he is that good then please explain why it is that when a job comes available at the likes of Chelsea or Man City , David Moyes is never considered for it ?

You say he has never been given money to spend. I think he has, but thank goodness he hasn't been given a budget of £100M. He has broken out transfer record 2 or 3 times ? Johnson, Yak, Fellaini. One of those has been sold and another loaned out. Hardly a great success there. Have these players all been bad ? Could it be that Moyes doesn't know how best to use them, was Andy Johnson signed to play as a wide attacking midfielder?

I think its you that needs to wake up Craig. Moyes has shown his limitations and I think another coach would get more out of our squad. If you think Moyes is so good ? let's see where he goes next. A top job here or abroad. I think not, but let's see who is right.
Peter O'Connor
13   Posted 02/03/2011 at 07:56:32

I've never been fully sold on Moyes but have appreciated what he's done for Everton since he took over. He has his faults and I've always thought that IF we get a new owner with money then Moyes deserves the opportunity to spend it.

However, this season, with arguably the best set of players we have had for years, he has failed us big time. Negative to the n-th degree and totally unadventurous.

Time to go indeed.
Andy Callan
14   Posted 02/03/2011 at 08:39:03

We've no cash, but the money Moyes has wasted baffles me ? no fuckin' wondered BK won't give him anymore.....

£15M of Fellaini and £11M on Bily ? give me a fuckin' break!

Having said that, you can only buy shite with £10M these days and, as we're skint, then what can we expect.

Doesn't matter who is in charge, we'll win fuck all until someone gives us £200M and how likely is that.....?!?!?!?!?

Well it'll not be ruining my week ? the players don't give a fuck, so why should we.....?!?!?! Fuck em.
Liam Reilly
15   Posted 02/03/2011 at 08:43:05

Micheal #12
He didn't start with Beckford because Beckford was stuck on the M62 in traffic.

That shouldn't be allowed in itself, as I cannot understand why the player are not told to report several hours prior to a match.

For what it's worth, I don't think Moyes has enough at his disposal, the players were to blame last night, but he didn't have too many options to change it.

Sack the board.
Neil Pickering
16   Posted 02/03/2011 at 08:38:31

I have in the past been pro-Moyes, but i have just had enough of him now, and the blame lies squarley with him for last night's performance IMO. He is really winding me up with his tactics, and last night's ineptitude was the icing on the cake!

Bily ? Why didn't he play him in behind Saha? I think he's shocking, but to be fair he is never gonna be a wide player as long as he has got a hole in his ass, and surely last nite was the ideal time to have a look at him there before we get rid in summer.

Anichebe ? Worst player I have seen in a blue shirt. Not a centre forward, and certainly not a wide player. Vaughan well better and gives twice as much effort. He shud never have played for us again after throwin the towel in vs Bolton.

Arteta ? Has been ruined by Moyes IMO. Once our most creative and attacking player, now reduced to role of 'water carrier'. What happened to his dribbling and shooting? Moyes has tried to turn him into DF midfielder and he will never be that. Should be playing wide now. And keep him off set pieces FFS!

The whole game last nite needed width, so Moyes brings on a centre forward (Anichebe) and plays him right side, and then puts right footed Ossie (shit as well) on the left!

Rodwell ? We should sell him ASAP. Not because I don't rate him, but because Moyes will ruin him and he will go the way of most our promising youth players if he stays. Sell now and get good money before it's too late!
Alan McGuffog
17   Posted 02/03/2011 at 08:49:16

Liam

I am tired of these shit-stirring rumours that Beckford was out cos he was in a traffic jam. I happen to know that his mam washed his kit after Saturday and didn't dry it in time... that's why he came on late... he had his stuff on the radiators in Bill's office, drying.

We are a professional outfit... traffic jams indeed!

Craig Taylor
18   Posted 02/03/2011 at 08:28:07

Michael Brian ? I believe it is you that needs to look at some facts. I too thought it strange that Beckford didnt start; however, he didn't get to the game on time as he was stuck in traffic because of an accident. He was set to start other wise.

Moyes has signed the players, but what options does he have when he has £0 transfer budget? He has to find frees. Beckford from League 1, no disrespect but do you really think we would have signed him if Moyes had been given some money?

Pienaar, do you honestly believe Moyes wanted him to go, and was not prepared to give him the wage he wanted (ie be on a par with Arteta?). The amount money for transfers and wages is set by the board. Moyes works with what he is given.

So this would be when you throw in the debate about letting Yakubu and Vaughan go out on loan. Well with all due respect to Vaughan, how many chances could this kid be given? Yakubu again is likely to be a 'reduce the wage bill' release; however, admittedly I think the fact that Moyes has obviously fallen out with him has added to this one. Players and managers fall out and, as Sir Alex has shown, no player can be seen to be bigger than the manager or, more importantly, the Club.

You will also suggest Moyes could have signed players on loan ? we couldn't afford loans!!!!

So the question is who would do better, relistically speaking. This isn't a speculative, who would you want as manager if Moyes left? It's a simple who would definitely do better. Because if Moyes left there are two options:

1. Sam Allardyce, do I really need to explain why this would be shocking? But he is a desperate man to get back in to football.

2. Take a punt on someone from the lower leagues. Moyes was a gamble worth taking when appointed, but we were rock bottom on the field. We were playing defenders upfront and strikers in defence!!! This would be a MASSIVE gamble now.

Other names that are likely to be suggested ? O'Neill, Jol do me a favour. They would expect huge transfer kitty's.

Bolton were actually in a worse position than we currently are, but Coyle has been able to sign some players: Petrov, Wheater, Sturridge!!!

Who says he hasn't been in line for Man city and Chelsea? He consistenly linked with Man Utd (but who says this is true?). I think he actually was 'linked' with Man City during last season.

Moyes has earnt the right (in my opinion) to be given a chance with a board that will give him full financial backing.

No-one else could do any better.

Craig Taylor
19   Posted 02/03/2011 at 09:01:27

Maybe the board are giving him financial backing, but he is refusing it.

But how would we know as the board do not communicate anything to the fans.

Oh, silly me, there is a fans forum, for selected shareholders! Where certain questions are not allowed!!

And Elstone does his blog. The patronising twat that he is!
Mark Murphy
20   Posted 02/03/2011 at 09:09:11

"I personally feel the manager is not to blame if he does not have the resources."

Moyes had more than enough "resources" on the pitch last night to beat Reading.
He didn't have the tactical nous!

What were the tactics or game plan exactly?
Cos it looked to me that the players were making it up from the start!

We need wholesale changes from top to bottom but we also need "a new Moyes" with new ideas and a fresh attitude.
Michael Brien
21   Posted 02/03/2011 at 09:10:02

Apologies re Beckford ? I didn't realise it was the player not arriving in time. However, no apologies for the comparison with Coyle ? most of the Bolton squad where there when Megson was manager. And if you think Moyes will go to a club like Man City and do a great job ? well you are entitled to your opinion Craig but I reckon most people would disagree with you on that one.
Chris Lawlor
22   Posted 02/03/2011 at 09:02:22

For me, it is the players that must shoulder the blame for last night's capitulation. The team sent out was good enough to win that game at a canter yet even the win over Chelsea and a place in the last 8 was not enough for them to lift themselves. Extremely poor all round.

Moyes must be praying for the season to end so he can leave for richer fields. I am not saying the man is perfect but I am damn sure that he will do better things with a wealthier benefactor behind him. We are in the shite and changing managers has little to do with it.
Chris Matheson
23   Posted 02/03/2011 at 09:29:05

Bill Kenwright must be rubbing his hands in glee ? or more likely, wiping his brow in relief.

"Wow, they've fallen for it again. David's taking all the flack. Looks like I get to keep the trainset for another year. Now, just off to the Boys' Pen for a cry in front of the cameras..."

Just like the Rooney sale, where it was turned into a Moyes v Rooney contest that ended in court.

Nothing will change at this club till we get rid of Kenwright and get rid of the board. We need money but we need an imaginative and dynamic and capable board.

Moyesey is infuriating with his failure to adapt and change, and his stubborness and his 4-5-1, but the rot starts with Kenwright.
Phil Rodgers
24   Posted 02/03/2011 at 10:04:53

The problem is that if the players won't play for Moyes then he has to go. The players have that much control. I have never seen a more lacklustre performance in my life than last night. Essentially the manager picks the team and if they are not performing, regardless of what he has done in the past, then time is up.
Craig Taylor
25   Posted 02/03/2011 at 10:19:58

I think that the biggest problem last night was the attitude of the players, and admittedly you can say Moyes should have done something to change that.

But how many interviews and comments have there been about Wembley sice the Chelsea game?

Michael, Moyes has been at everton for 10 years, Coyle at Bolton for 18 months - 2 years. Of course he has some inherited players still. But if you compare like for like Moyes had us in Champions league place at the stage Coyle is at. Bolton are only 4 points above us in the league and we are having a shitter of a season!

A lack of backing has taken us backwards, its plain to see. I am not saying Moyes doesnt make mistakes, it happens. But he has over performed on shit resources for to long and it is impossible for him to keep that up when all teams around him are gaining investment.

And again, no one else is there to take over if he did leave. I know you have used Owen Coyle as an example but he wouldn't leave Bolton for us at the moment.

Only a desperate manager out of work (Allardyce) or us taking a huge Beckford style gamble on a manger in the lower leagues would be willing to take over. A MASSIVE backwards step.

I would say that the best we would be able to get would be Steve McClaren. It is this bad.

Michael have you got any options to take over that I may be missing, or do you think we could poach someone mate? (genuine question)

I know Bill is good at bullshit but surely even he couldn't bullshit a top proven manager to come in, without being able to sign anyone!!!
John Smith
26   Posted 02/03/2011 at 10:56:08

Some thoughts for the few Moyes defenders out there......

Yes I feel sorry for the guy and the financial constraints a clueless Chairman has imposed on him. But Moyes knows what the problems are and that he has to work around them. So what has he done about it? Nothing. Typical Moyes rabbit caught in the headlights dithering response.

What could he have done? Well, anyone can see that the squad needs strengthening in certain areas, so how about selling the benchwarmers to generate much needed funds for a striker and pacy winger. We could all name candidates for the exit door, but Yakubu and Yobo are on loan, so why weren?t they sold to generate income to buy someone?

Anichebe will never be good enough, Vaughan probably won?t be, and a club in our financial position can?t afford to spend £15million on Heitinga and Bily to not be first team regulars. Much as I don?t want us to be a selling club, with the latest set of accounts there are few other options, so I would also cash in on Rodwell before United and Chelsea realise he?s actually not that good.

The list above should generate at least £40million, what damage could we do with that? I know Moyes would say he needs strength in depth, but 3 of the above are out on loan anyway and I?d rather have 2 or 3 real quality players on the pitch and kids on the bench rather than the other 4.

But this thread is about Moyes, not transfers. Back to the point ? the manager tells us what a great squad we have, yet he can?t manage or motivate the real quality players we have like Arteta and Jagielka and he doesn?t do anything to bring in much needed new blood ? I despair.

Chris Fisher
27   Posted 02/03/2011 at 11:01:36

I haven't necessarily got a problem with Osman or Hibbert but I think Moyes stating that while he was there they will never leave was basically a code for, "While I am here, we will be mediocre and have mediocre players that i will stick by". Please just go now mate, I don't want to see you walking out at Goodison anymore.
Michael Brien
28   Posted 02/03/2011 at 12:02:22

Craig ? Coyle has been at Bolton for just over a year. So he has made a big change in their fortunes/style of play in a very short space of time.

Alternatives: in no order of preference
1) David Jones at Cardiff City ? he has kept them at the forefront of the promotion scene in the Championship in the face of 2 or is it 3 winding up petitions?
2) Chris Hughton
3) Alan Curbishley
4) Roberto Martinez
5) Chris Coleman ? a decent job at Fulham
That's 5 for starters. Alardyce ? Well I think he has a decent record at keeping clubs in the Premier League, he established Bolton as a Premier League club ? would Newcastle have been relegated if they had kept faith with him? Personally I think they would have stayed up.

I am sorry the old argument "Moyes has done wonders with no money" is beginning to wear a bit thin. As I have said look at some of the players that he has spent money on and then subsequently sold. Have all of these players been poor? Funny how most of them seem to be strikers isn't it.

And as regards bing linked with jobs at the likes of Man City ? can you honestly recall Moyes being linked with a job at one of the "Sky 4 or is it 5?" I can't... Doesn't that speak volumes? It's time for Moyes to step up to the plate and take some of the responsibility himself and to stop passing the buck.

Craig Taylor
29   Posted 02/03/2011 at 12:16:04

John good points about selling players, and I think its obvious now that Yakubu, Yobo and Vaughan will in particular leave. However, if large sums come in for players such as Rodwell (Shocking to suggest he isnt that good!) then lets say £20 million comes in for him, some of that will have to go to the banks to keep them sweet, we then have to replace Rodwell, how much does that actually leave you for the striker or pacey winger?

The board have got the finances into such a mess that our best source of income will be to sell these players, but the banks will not allow for it to go back into the team.

The board must go first.
Craig Taylor
30   Posted 02/03/2011 at 12:22:06

I think you have just confirmed my point Michael. Look at the list. All of those managers have worse records than David Moyes, and all at clubs with better resources.

1) David Jones ? To use a similar question you asked me about Moyes, if Jones was so impressive at Cardiff, why has no other Premier League club looked at him? He signed Bellemy and Ramsey who could both improve our squad I think that shows how much of a mess the Everton board have gotten us into financially.
2) Chris Hughton ? Did alright at Newcastle but still a gamble with his inexperiance of management (West Brom and Blackburn both looked but didn't take him on).
3) Alan Curbishley ? Out of the game for too many seasons, failled at West Ham under financial problems. Backwards step.
4) Roberto Martinez ? struggling at Wigan, they are below us in the league!
5) Chris Coleman ? Do me a favour, he was shit at Fulham, was shit in Spain (although shagging a director's wife didn't help him) and he was shit at Coventry.

Surely we want someone who can show that they can bring success to a team. Like Jol, Manuel Pellegrini, even O'Neill. All of whom would want to spend money!
Chris Sillett
31   Posted 02/03/2011 at 12:43:11

Why do people always suggest names like Allardyce and Dave Jones and say "Would you rather have them than Moyes?" There are plenty of managers out there with better records of winning trophies and getting to finals than Moyes could ever achieve!

Here's a few examples:

Martin O'Neill: 2 League Cups at Leicester and countless trophies at Celtic, and a Uefa Cup Final for them.

Steve McClaren: 1 League Cup at Middlesbrough, Uefa Cup Finalist. 1 League Championship at Twente.

Martin Jol: 2 Dutch Cups and superb win percentage at all his clubs.
Michael Brien
32   Posted 02/03/2011 at 12:43:53

Craig you dismiss David Jones but then in virtually the same sentence state".... He signed Bellemy and Ramsey who could both improve our squad ...". That's my point ? he is a very good manager who in the face of some very severe financial constraints has done very well. Just to keep Cardiff in that Division would be an achievement in itself, to keep them in the race for promotion is something of a miracle.

".....Who says he hasn't been in line for Man City and Chelsea? He is consistently linked with Man Utd (but who says this is true?). I think he actually was 'linked' with Man City during last season.." That was how you first responded to my comments that Moyes hasn't been linked with such jobs. Well how do you know David Jones hasn't been linked to Premier League jobs? He is a very good manager, he has a strong link with Everton and I believe he could do a good job at Goodison.

Curbishley ? too long out of the game ? I think you make light of the financial problems that existed at West Ham.

Hughton ? Again you make light of the situation at another club. When Newcastle were relegated the club was in turmoil. Hughton carried on and they won a very impressive promotion back at the first time of asking. At the start of the 2009-10 season I doubt if they were considered strong contenders to bounce back. The fact that West Brom & Blackburn didn't take him on is beside the point. What was it the new Blackburn owners were promising? A £100M transfer budget? Gone quiet on that one haven't they?

Basically, Craig, David Moyes isn't the only good manager out there. I think he is a decent bloke, but even if you gave him £100M to spend on players I think he would still not do much better.

It's time for a new man with new ideas ? unless Moyes can change and become more adventurous.I hope that he can... but if I am honest I have my doubts.

Craig Taylor
33   Posted 02/03/2011 at 13:04:31

Chris, absolutely McClaren, O'neill Jol Pelligrini and other exist. But they would want to be able to spend money on players. Everton have no money so they wouldnt want to come.

Michael, true Dave Jones could have been looked at. But my point on the Bellemy, Ramsey part is that really our club is worse off than Cardiff, who were nearly wound up!

Moyes isn't the only good manager out there but why would anyone, even Dave Jones, come to a club where they couldnt spend money? I bloody wouldnt.

If the board was different and we had money we would have even more scope to select a different manager.

Also if we were wanting to poach a manager we would have to pay for them, which couldn't happen as we have no money!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great banter by the way!
Michael Brien
34   Posted 02/03/2011 at 13:25:11

Craig ? I have mentioned David Jones because of the following reasons, again in no order of preference:

1) He is a good manager, who has done well in the face of adversity.
2) I don't think the lack of a mega transfer budget would be a problem to him.
3) He could easily have walked out on Cardiff City given the severe financial constraints that have existed for most of his time there. I think is more than commendable loyalty.

Personally I think there is only one club that he would consider leaving Cardiff City for and that's Everton. Perhaps it's a bit of the heart ruling the head but I don't think anyone can fault his record as a manager.

And given the dignity with which he faced a very difficult personal situation when he was at Southampton I don't think anyone can doubt how he would and could cope under pressure. He has had to cope with horrendous pressure and come through it showing both great character and dignity. Personally I think he would be a very good manager of Everton.

Tony J Williams
35   Posted 02/03/2011 at 13:33:57

League form:

Davy Jones ? Has lost more games than Moyes in a lesser league.
Huyton ? Took Newcastle down with Shearer
Curbishey ? So good he has been out of the game for how long?
Martinez ? How many times has his team been twatted with a high score? Where are they in the league? Fecking bottom, that's where!
Coleman ? One 9th place finish for Fulham then sacked... banged someone's wife then moved on and sacked after finishing 19th in 2010.

Feck me, if that is the list supposed to make us think Moyes needs to move aside for them, then we are well and truly fecked.
Craig Taylor
36   Posted 02/03/2011 at 13:41:38

Well, we will see what happens in the next 3 months. Moyes won't be sacked by this board. I do not think he would walk until the end of the season unless another job tempts him away.

I still think that with or without Moyes, the current board will hold anyone back from making us a top team again.
Chris Sillett
37   Posted 02/03/2011 at 13:47:00

Michael, #36.

You fail to mention that Dave Jones was sacked by Wolves after finishing BOTTOM of the Premier League and then the following season they were 17th in the championship when he was booted out (I'm getting this from Wikipedia btw). Also take a look at his win % at his clubs, it hovers around the 40% mark ? hardly remarkable is it? And most of his time in management has been in the lower leagues!
Conor Waters
38   Posted 02/03/2011 at 13:39:08

I have defended Moyes on occasions such as these. There is no denying that we have progressed under his management, at least from the previous decade. But even I now see that things have turned stale.

I always argued that there were never any other available managers good enough to take over. But all we need now is an interim replacement, just to freshen things up.

Any stats will prove a new appointment will jolt players into action. Those who are playing well, try even harder to keep their place. And those out of the side, see it as a new start to nail down a regular place in the team.

But since Bill will never sack him, DM will have to walk ? and what manager has done that in the last few years, fuck all. So this is all just futile...
Tony J Williams
39   Posted 02/03/2011 at 14:03:37

Conor, yes the initial jolt works, look at King Kenny and then they go and get twatted by the bottom placed team.

Feck knows what we can do, new manager, new players and new board.... it all takes money, which we don't have.
Craig Taylor
40   Posted 02/03/2011 at 14:26:03

Phew.. some people to back me up!
John Smith
41   Posted 02/03/2011 at 10:56:08

Some thoughts for the few Moyes defenders out there......

Yes, I feel sorry for the guy and the financial constraints a clueless Chairman has imposed on him. But Moyes knows what the problems are and that he has to work around them. So what has he done about it? Nothing. Typical Moyes rabbit caught in the headlights dithering response.

What could he have done? Well, anyone can see that the squad needs strengthening in certain areas, so how about selling the benchwarmers to generate much needed funds for a striker and pacy winger? We could all name candidates for the exit door, but Yakubu and Yobo are on loan, so why weren?t they sold to generate income to buy someone?

June Brennan
42   Posted 02/03/2011 at 16:18:41

BK: "So you want to come at be manager at this great club Everton??"

"Yes please"

"Well you can have the job"

"How much money do I get to spend on players?"

"Nothing. You get to work with the squad Moyes has put together, try and motivate them, fool the fans with all your bullshit talk, keep them sweet for another few months, and we will play it by ear."

Who the hell would want to take over from Moyes when this current board are "running" the club? No money, no new prospects. Same old, same old...
Michael Brien
43   Posted 02/03/2011 at 16:55:52

Chris (#39) ? The season that Wolves went down was 2003-04... didn't we finish one place off the relegation places that season?

As regards David Jones's record, what is his record in the last 3 or 4 seasons? I would have thought recent seasons would count for more than what was happening 6 or 7 seasons ago.

I think that there alternatives to David Moyes. I think that another manager/coach would be able to get more from the same squad of players. It wouldn't be a first after all if that was to happen would it? eg, Owen Coyle at Bolton.

I am not anti-Moyes, just frustrated with the man. This season we have had glimpses of what can happen if he is more adventurous, but then he seems to revert to the cautious approach. I hope that he can change; however, I don't think that he can.

Tony J Williams
44   Posted 02/03/2011 at 17:09:30

"But Moyes knows what the problems are and that he has to work around them." If only football was as simple as that, John.

First off, Moyes needs a fit, free scoring striker... just work around it... ermmm ok.... ermm... just get another one... oh wait, we can't afford one... well, just work around it! How exactly? Sell someone? The theory of 'work arounds' has just failed.
Ray Roche
45   Posted 02/03/2011 at 17:26:53

Of all the managers mentioned here to replace Moyes, the only one I could see being, possibly, better than Moyes is Jol. I liked the football he tried to get Spurs to play but I think he likes a few bob to spend.

I don't think the others are worth a carrot. O'Neill, didn't he fuck off from Villa at the start of the season? That shows loyalty doesn't it? And apparently because he wasn't going to get the transfer fee from Ashley Young, if he was sold. Stuff me, Moyes didn't even get the £2.5M from Pienaar's sale. I'm sure O'Neill would have hung around here if he'd been in charge.

At times, Moyes really pisses me off... but I struggle to think of a better man for the job, given the same circumstances that we're in.

John Daley
46   Posted 02/03/2011 at 17:19:15

"Moyes isn't the only good manager out there but why would anyone, even Dave Jones, come to a club where they couldn't spend money? I bloody wouldn't."

I am sure many managers would be ready to snatch your hand off if they were offered the same inflated salary Moyes is on. £3.2M a year with no pressure to challenge for trophies? Looks like a sweet deal to me.

You also need to remember most managers possess an ego and would probably back their own ability to come in and turn things around. No matter how dire things are at the moment, Everton are still a big name in English football with a rich history, a loyal fan base desperate for success, and still manage to attract crowds of well over 30,000 every home game. It's not like they're being asked to spend their days sponging down the world's fattest woman. There are still enough tempting features left to get some managers cock hard at the prospect.

An incoming manager would not necessarily be fearful of having no guaranteed transfer budget either. They would have no loyalty whatsoever to the current crop of players and would therefore have no qualms about shipping out the dead wood / under-performers in order to generate some funds to play with.
James Flynn
47   Posted 03/03/2011 at 02:36:39

I think the manager is important thing is over-rated in any sport. Would SAF or Wenger do better than Moyes, given the financial considerations Merseyside? I doubt it.

I'd go so far as stating that SAF has only done as well as a manager afforded that financial capability as ManU's could do.

Moyes is OK. He needs to find a real on-field leader who plays up front.

Managers/Coaches are over-rated. Badly.
Christine Foster
48   Posted 03/03/2011 at 10:03:55

James Flynn 47# Dead right. Moyes will not leave before the end of the season and Kenwright won't sack him unless we are in the bottom three.

I think he will go in the summer though, but by his choice..

Everton play like a Sunday League team: some weeks, all the mates play well and it's good fun; other weeks, they go out the night before and get in at 5am and play with a hangover.

The point is they are lacking a brute on the pitch who drags them together and kicks arse when needed. A leader who doesn't go missing when things go wrong. We haven't got a leader at all on the pitch. Not one. Clueless.

Moyes needs to go back up to Scotland and find a modern day Gemmill, someone with bags of heart and plenty of steel.

We are tin men.
Tony J Williams
49   Posted 03/03/2011 at 13:19:42

Things really are bad when we are looking for a Scott Gemmil to save us (I know, I know).