Respect

There comes a point when you have to put your cards on the table and say

"Enough is enough".

I think that time came for David Moyes tonight.

He, rightly or wrongly, has earned himself one of the best reputations as a manager in probably the best league in the world. He is either being held back by his own ability or by the lack of support he has from the board ? one or the other. So now is the time to find out which it is.

To do us, him and the club justice the only possible solution is to publicly demand Bill Kenwright officially and publicly puts the club up for SALE with a view to completing a buy out by the end of the season or he walks. Not a bit of flannel on the OS ? the real thing. And if BK refuses, or fails to sell by May, he does indeed walk.

People will say ?he?s not going to walk away from £65k a week though is he?!? He?s a wealthy man in his own right now and should now have the self respect and respect for us and the club to force the issue.

I would, I kid you not.

The supporters, media and football fraternity would also, in my opinion, give him their full backing.

So, let's face it — apart from the money — what?s he really got to lose?

Mike Green, High Wycombe     Posted 02/03/2011 at 03:34:28

Comments

Sean McKenna
1   Posted 02/03/2011 at 06:47:53

The fact is he is in a win-win situation: if we do well, Moyes is hailed as a genius working with no budget; if he fails, like he is now, he will be backed by the media as having no funds to take is forward. That's a lot to lose working with zero pressure!! How many managers have been sacked that are better positioned in the league? Newcastle, Blackburn, Liverpool, West Brom etc etc.
Adam Fenlon
2   Posted 02/03/2011 at 06:59:28

I dont think thats a reasonable thing to ask of him. Moyesey's job is to do the best he can with the playing resources available to him, and there can be no guarantees anyway that a new owner would translate into additional funds for player investment.
Mike Green
3   Posted 02/03/2011 at 07:29:34

But it's reasonable to ask a bloke to do a job without the proper tools?
Matt Compton
4   Posted 02/03/2011 at 07:49:51

I think Moyes is doing the right thing. He realises the situation we're in and yes, it is partly due to him.

However, there's no point kicking off when you have 11 games left. Let's try and make the best of them.

If he kicked off now, it'll obviously worry the players as well who I imagine are already pissed off at the lack of finances to move the team on ? although some would say half the players need moving on after last night's efforts!

The best thing to do would be to kick off at the end of the season.
Mike Green
5   Posted 02/03/2011 at 08:09:38

Or the players might think "at last, this club might have a future now that someone with influence is trying to do something about it"?

If he waits until the end of the season he'll let Kenwright off the hook; if we go down it'll look like sour grapes.

Kenwright will be reeling after last night; if you want a change in ownership, now is the time to ask for it.
Dave Whitwell
6   Posted 02/03/2011 at 08:13:43

Sorry but most of us always berate either Moyes or Kenwright, but i'm putting this one solely on the shoulders of the players. Not one of them even played at 50% of what there capable of. It looked like they all thought they only needed to turn up.

If any of them start talking about wanting to play for teams competing them they should have a good look at themselves last night and question whether they are really good enough!
Chris Perry
7   Posted 02/03/2011 at 08:21:42

Kenwright is Gadaffi, he believes the people love him, he believes that there is no real problem. Us fans are on drugs given to us by evil other clubs to cause this unrest!

Everton will be relegated this season.
Andy Callan
8   Posted 02/03/2011 at 08:27:15

Dave @ 5 - I agree that the players have to shoulder some of the blame for last night. We should have beaten that shower with 10 centre half's playing FFS.

However, playing one up front at home in the Cup to a team a division lower than you, begs a few questions of the Manager too.
Mike Green
9   Posted 02/03/2011 at 08:37:36

Andy ? we're a bit stuck for strikers at the moment though ? surely thats down to the board at the end of the day? The Beckford fiasco has highlighted this, and may well be lain at Moyes's door when it comes out in the wash but a club of our size and stature should have the backing and organisation to have at least 3 quality strikers not:

Saha ? free, initially on pay-to-play due to injury record, and it should've stayed that way.

Beckford ? free, former pub player from the lower leagues.

Anichebe ? free, no comment.

Have I forgotten anyone that's not out on loan? If I have, it shows the impact they're having.

Moyes isn't faultless in this but I think he's clutching at straws now as he's lost complete confidence in his squad and now they are losing confidence in him.
Ray Roche
10   Posted 02/03/2011 at 08:58:10

Mike, the Beckford business IS a fiasco. Some years back, in my job, if I got a promotion at a different area I was expected to move to that area, even if it was only 30 odd miles away. Beckford must still be living in the Leeds area for him to be stuck on the M62 or wherever. Why hasn't he been instructed to live or stay on Merseyside for at least the night before any match? Amateurish running of Everton yet again.

Last night everyone must shoulder some of the blame. From Kenwright's tight purse strings to Moyes's crap tactics to the players' half-hearted efforts. Booed off? They'll be lucky if they're not booed ON against Birmingham.

Mark Murphy
11   Posted 02/03/2011 at 08:58:47

Dave (#5), although I agree that 9 of those on the pitch tonight (I'm excluding Baines and Howard) were absolute shite, I was also shocked by our lack of tactics or shape?

It seemed to me that our plan was for a player to get the ball, look around for someone to pass to, find one and pass it. The player receiving it then looked around for someone to pass to, found one and passed it, and so on! There didn't seem to me to be any other plan? And that is the managers fault. And that shouldn't be difficult for a so-called top manager playing against a struggling side from a lower division.

I've had enough of this false messiah ? time for fresh thinking and wholesale changes to an over rated bunch of no marks!

I'm furious and embarrassed in equal measures.
Liam Reilly
12   Posted 02/03/2011 at 08:55:45

The club being up for sale or not is practically irrelevant, because almost everything in business has a price; it?s just negotiating on that price that?s significant.

So asking Moyes to depart if BK doesn?t sell the club by the end of the season will achieve nothing, unless BK?s valuation of the club is realistic.

Thus if reports are to be believed, where BK (or rather Philip Green) values the club at around the £100 Million mark, then I fear we?ll be playing Championship football before there?s any serious interest.
James Cadwaladr
13   Posted 02/03/2011 at 09:22:39

I hope the opening night of Kenwright's new pantomime was as big a failure as that car crash we saw last night and he decides he's shit at everything, sells up and goes into hiding in Brazil.
June Brennan
14   Posted 02/03/2011 at 09:31:48

Mike Green (2) spot on!!! Beckford is a disgrace turning up some 15 minutes before kick-off, giving the thumbs up to the crowd.
Mike Green
15   Posted 02/03/2011 at 09:35:36

Liam ? what I'm talking about is proper intent to sell up and go. I couldn't give a fuck if he doesn't get what he believes to be his valuation of the club ? Hicks and Gillete didnt get theirs across the Park did they?

He hasn't got the finances to run the club properly, he has to get out ? his loss, not ours.
Liam Reilly
16   Posted 02/03/2011 at 09:45:38

I'm not arguing with you, Mike, I'd be glad to see the back of him, as I'd imagine both he and the rest of his cronies would want a significant return on their investment to consider selling the club.

The fact that the published accounts insist that the board takes no money from the club is again irrelevant. I don't take any money from my house, but when I finally consider selling it, I expect a significant return. This is what BK is doing which is fair enough, provided the valuation is realistic.

I suspect not.
Mike Green
17   Posted 02/03/2011 at 10:22:17

Fair enough, Liam, which is why I'm saying Moyes should say he's not putting up with it anymore, watching the club and his reputation fall to pieces just so they can get a return on their investment. A good point well made though.
Henry Jones
18   Posted 02/03/2011 at 10:48:25

Moyes decided to let Yakubu leave on loan. Surely he would have done better than Vic all night long. That is Moyes's fault!
Ray Roche
19   Posted 02/03/2011 at 11:03:05

Henry,

I'm not convinced that it was all Moyes's decision to allow Yak, Pienaar, Vaughan to leave the club. However, if that is the case, he should at least have had the balls to stand up to Kenwright and tell him NO. I think it was just an indication of how far up shit creek we really are.
Charles King
20   Posted 02/03/2011 at 11:16:07

Realistically he won't criticise the employers, even privately.

Davey boy will move when it suits him and not before.

He's a fraud, if he was the honourable man people kid themselves on about he'd have gone ages ago.

Incompetent time waster.

David Mathieson
21   Posted 02/03/2011 at 11:40:33

What happened last night was all Moyes?s fault ? nothing to do with Kenwright. Not Kenwright?s fault the £10 million on Bily and £7 million on Heitinga was wasted. Between them they mustered a lame 45 minutes. Add to that the cost of their wages and the £15 million Fellani, who is injury prone, lethargic, he is just rubbish and between him and Moyes have held back Rodwell?s development.

Distin was awful last night and in general, since he has joined, our defensive record has nosedived. Neville, who I think is rubbish, is praised often, not because of his ability, ie, he is rubbish, but because the team performs better with him in it; the opposite can be said of Distin, we are a poor side with him in it.

People need to lay off Kenwright?s back and point the finger at the real culprit: Moyes. Bily should have been given a game at A/M and there is no way Anichebe should have been brought on at half-time. If it was me last night Beckford had to start, I believe he was late to the stadium for whatever reason, as soon as he arrived I would have brought him on, even if it was 10 minutes into the game, especially if the game plan was based around him, I just wonder if Moyes had a game plan.

To sum it up, another embarrassing defeat in the cups, second cup exit this season to lower league opposition is a disgrace ? Moyes Out, No excuses, good riddance.
Lee Mandaracas
22   Posted 02/03/2011 at 12:12:41

Anyone for Ian Holloway? Now there is a motivator. Trouble is, he has the skills Moyes had for the first few seasons so maybe we would only be looking at it for a few years but that has to be worlds better than what we have now.
Andrew Ellams
23   Posted 02/03/2011 at 12:08:41

For me, the excuse of Moyes not having the tools to do the job just does not wash. On paper we have a stronger squad than several of the teams above us in the league, and both of the teams that knocked us out of the cup competitions this year.

It was Moyes himself that said he believed that he had the strongest squad yet during his time at the club and they were capable of competing with the best. Now it's March, we are in the bottom half of the league and knocked out of both cups by lower division opposition. That is why he has to walk today.
Tony J Williams
24   Posted 02/03/2011 at 12:21:26

Charles, instead of saying that Moyes should do the honorable thing and walk, which in itself is an idiotic suggestion, what the players should do is come out and apologise for such a gutless display.

That was Bolton Mk II, huff and puff and no fecker will shoot. Bily is getting slated but he was the only one who was actually trying to create something, his crosses are miles better than Baines's and Mikel's and don't fecking start me on Neville's throw-ins... fecking hurry up you dozy twat, whoever is next to it take, feck off with your loopty loop throws that have never created anything in 4 years.

No-one moves for the ball and no-one can shoot, embarrassing that professional footballs are unable to have a dig and get it on target.
Norman Merrill
25   Posted 02/03/2011 at 12:13:11

After the Bolton debacle recently, David Moyes spoke to the media. His comments went along way to answer some of the reasons fans come on here to either to support the manager or criticize him. He said "I choose the squad, I select the team, I make the substitutions, and I decide the tactics." After that performance last night, fans are still coming on the Blue websites argueing, for and against.

All I will say is that I was disgusted with the overall performance, from a team playing in the BLUE shirt, and I have really had enough.
Phil Bellis
26   Posted 02/03/2011 at 12:55:52

I wonder what the take-up would be if the season ticket renewal deadline was today?

I'm waiting to see what division we're in before I make my mind up about paying in advance.

Craig Walker
27   Posted 02/03/2011 at 13:37:13

Do you know who I am most disappointed with when I think of Everton and this season? It's not Kenwright, Moyes or even Anichebe. It's myself. I can't believe that yet again I started to believe the rhetoric coming from the club that this year might be ours.

I fell for it at the start of the season. When we beat the RS at Goodison. When we beat Spurs. I fell for it when we knocked Chelsea out in the last round. I started to look at our squad and think "they're actually quite strong". Why do I always fall into the trap of convincing myself that we will be great again?

No disrespect to Hibbert and Osman but when a manager starts praising these guys as personifying our club and his methods I think to myself Steven, Sheedy, Reid, Bracewell, Southall, Heath, Sharp.... These are what personify Everton to me. Players who could play and win.

I'm afraid that our proud history is all we have now.

Tony J Williams
28   Posted 02/03/2011 at 13:46:33

Phil, I have just had an offer accepted on a house so there will be one less next year, that's for sure. Not going to part with my hard earned when the feckers in the middle can't be bothered to have a go. One more of the lads I go with will not be renewing as he now has two kids and one is just packing in cos he's pissed off.

Kenwright will be in for a shock when the figures come in when the "rip off", I mean "early bird bonus" period ends.
Brian Roberts
29   Posted 02/03/2011 at 15:18:02

For those of you bemoaning the loss of (god knows my future) Pienaar, we were just as crap with him as we are without him. Complete upheaval from the bottom up is the only way forward. If Mr Ferguson sees £15 million for our Jack, take it ? he sees something I dont. I will take the chance.
Karl Meighan
30   Posted 03/03/2011 at 10:41:32

Moyes can go with him and I wouldn't be arsed one little bit, when sixth place or thereabouts and two FA Cup runs past the 5th Round in 13 years are considered to be great achievements then the words "Nil Satis Nisi Optimum" should be changed to mid-table football is good enough. Many will say who is there to replace him well maybe the board could earn there wages as that would be there job.

Maybe Moyes has earned the right to try and improve things but what is worrying is that he believes that squad is capable of achieving success. Anybody with a ounce of understanding of football can clearly see that the first team alone needs four or five to move above your Stokes and Boltons of the world, then consider the reserves and youth teams have nobody of note who looks like they could possibly step up to the plate, with the possible exception of Gueye, then things look bleak. Now that to me is not great management.

Tony J Williams
31   Posted 03/03/2011 at 12:04:33

"Anybody with a ounce of understanding of football can clearly see that the first team alone needs four or five to move above your Stokes and Boltons" followed by "now that to me is not great management"

Playing Devil's Advocate - ermmm how is that then? How is not having the ability to get these superstar players to sign for a fraction of their worth and to take a 70% pay cut to come to us poor management?

So many posters keep on telling others how crap our players are and then in the next breath have a go at Moyes for not making these crap players beat everyone in their path... strange logic that.

We are an average side with an average manager and with a shit board. This unfortunately does not equate to a cup/title winning team.