Where do you draw the line?

Last night's performance was awful, insipid, embarassing, frustrating.... and a thousand other adjectives, most of which have been used on other threads over the last 12 hours by the looks of it.

The anger has typically manifested itself as "get rid"; of Moyes, the Players, Kenwright.

As indicated in a few threads, this season more than any seems to have had a number of "worst game ever" scenarios. Expectation was set at the start of the season by the Club and the reality has never matched up to it, bar a few occasions; after which we hoped we had turned a corner, only to find, like last night, that we had done no such thing. Indeed, we've turned so many corners this season we've got back to the starting point!

As fans and supporters though, it now also feels like we are continually drawing a new line in the sand and daring the Club to step over it with another banal performance on the pitch which is worse than the last one. Trouble is, the team seem to be doing just that. Continuing that analogy, eventually you have to make a stand; you can't dare someone to cross the line every time and just re-draw it. If you do it ends up having no impact.

So to all those, including myself, who have drawn that line so many times this season, only to see increasingly poor performances from "the best squad" Moyes has ever had ? what next ?

Your decision to renew or not renew your season ticket would seem to be the first chance for supporters to have their say and hit back at the Club for crossing the line yet again last night.

What else can we do ?

Steve Guy, Harrogate     Posted 02/03/2011 at 13:51:54

Comments

Shaun Brennan
1   Posted 02/03/2011 at 15:26:52

Last night's performance was awful, insipid, embarassing, frustrating,

In that opneing sentence you have summed up Moyes's tenure.

How many times have you/we been left utterly embarrassed being knocked out of competitions by lessers clubs?

The lack of money argument may hold weight in the league but not in a cup! There's a reason why Reading aren't in the top division and soon we could be joining them.
Chris Matheson
2   Posted 02/03/2011 at 15:46:04

Steve, I will renew my ST. I hate myself for it, I know I am a mug and I know that I am being used by Kenwright, whom I loathe. I know that the best way to force him out through people power is for everyone of us to not renew their STs.

But I will renew. Every match as the teams run out I get that same stupid optimism ? or maybe blind hope ? that perhaps we will win, perhaps we will play well, perhaps this is the start of something good, something big.

As an Evertonian, I have grown into a pessimist, expecting the worst, expecting to have my hopes dashed. Yet I still have my hopes.

Also, I would still support Everton even if I did not renew my ST. If I don't like what Sainsbury's has to offer I can go elsewhere: Tesco, Asda, Aldi even. But I am a 4th generation Evertonian and I can't choose to support a different club. If I did not renew, I would still be wishing I was at the game, that is how sad I am... and I guess lots of us on this site are the same.

Kenwright knows that this type of loyalty ? blind loyalty perhaps ? exists and he will exploit it. I know I am being exploited for the love of the club and I hate it but I won't stop going to the match. Just in case we do actually come good.

Steve, you ask, what else can we do? Well, twice this year, demos have been mooted... one I recall at the Park End before the match. Nothing happened. I have no answers but will join in any effort to get rid of Kenwright, except not watching Everton.
Chris Jones
3   Posted 02/03/2011 at 16:32:52

[I'm the one in Staffordshire, in case you're wondering]

I wonder how much of last night could have been a reaction within the team of the news of Fellaini's and Cahill's injury woes? Have the teasm got scared? Were their collective minds on the potential relegation battle ahead of us now without the big Fella and Tiny Tim?

I'm not excusing last night, far from it (it was the first time in nine years I began to wonder if it's time for a change at the helm) just searching for reasons. There HAS to be a reason we were so poor after too good results, and we were playing at home, under the lights, etc. etc. (hmmmm, reminds me of when Grimsby dumped Kendall's great 80s side out of the League Cup one wet Monday night).
Chris Jones
4   Posted 02/03/2011 at 16:37:27

Please excuse the poor spelling. I blame my pore skewling.
Bill Slater
5   Posted 02/03/2011 at 16:37:58

Chris, we all know this is what most people will do, and the club expect it too.

But can you imagine them shitting themselves if all current season ticket holders decided to wait for just a few weeks to wind them up.

They all know we will all be Evertonians until the day we die and this kind of drastic measure is only made out of pure frustration of them taking the piss out of the lot of us.
Andrew Clare
6   Posted 02/03/2011 at 16:38:10

This is how we are perceived by the media and the public: "Moyes has done superbly well for Everton, he has been the best manager a cash-strapped, diminished club could hope for" ? courtesy of the Guardian Sports Blog today.

How depressing... and I suspect that's how most people have looked at us for many years now.

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
7   Posted 02/03/2011 at 16:39:07

To all the Chris Joneses out there:

Let's add some identifiers to separate you lot from treading on eachothers' posts:

Middle initial(s): Chris T Jones
Nickname: Chris "Bruiser" Jones
Locations Chris Jones [Staffs]

You choose; I'll tweak the cloud accordingly...
Larry Boner
8   Posted 02/03/2011 at 17:21:28

When Grimsby knocked Everton out of the Milk Cup, they had one shot on goal, Wilkinson, scored. Everton absolutely slaughtered Grimsby that night, but their keeper and defenders were absolutely heroic, we could have won 10-0.

As I remember, Everton and Grimsby were applauded off the field for a fantastic game.

Gavin Ramejkis
9   Posted 02/03/2011 at 18:04:30

I was at that game, Larry, it was fucking freezing and I can remember every last mile home. For weeks I had RS singing the theme to "When the Boat Comes In" to me ? for any young ones, look it up.
Andy Crooks
10   Posted 02/03/2011 at 18:59:33

I was intending to attend two games before the end of the season at a cost of more than £600 . Last night I decided I wouldn't. This morning I wasn't sure. Now, I think I will. This is how Kenwright has us. I too hate myself for it.
Jimmy Hacking
11   Posted 02/03/2011 at 19:01:36

I'm not exactly qualified to comment since I've never owned a season ticket, but surely the whole point of supporting a football club is that you renew your season ticket NO MATTER WHAT.

I may be paraphrasing the Championship manager instruction manual here but real diehard fans will always turn up to every game no matter how badly the team or playing, the weather, what division they are in etc.

Except for armchair fans like me, of course.
Guy Hastings
12   Posted 02/03/2011 at 20:08:39

Gadaffi's more likely to concede the game's up than Kenwright.
Brian Keoghan
13   Posted 02/03/2011 at 20:46:30

First of March and (apart from securing safety) our season has finally hit the buffers as many of us feared when the Autumn leaves started to fall. Hopefully we should be able to grind out enough points to ensure safety but with injuries to Cahill and Fellaini there are nagging doubts.

More worrying is the immediate future; our chairman has indulged in a deafening silence at a time when communication is all-important, the season ticket applications have been sent out to dedicated supporters who don't know what kind of team they will be watching next season and despite rumours of potential buyers, cynicism remains.

The feeling persists that Everton can no longer compete as a Premier League club and the more career-minded players will not stay on the deck of a sinking ship. More transparency is needed from our chairman about aims and ambitions, no smokescreens or theatrical verbals ? just where he believes we will be in 2012. Without a realistic vision, as Bob Dylan once said, "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows..."

Andy Mack
14   Posted 02/03/2011 at 21:00:47

The season ticket flyer in my inbox did raise a smile this morning, after this season's/last night's depression ? at least the EFC internet monkey has a sense of humour with the Subject: "0% interest on your 2011/12 Season Ticket". No shit sherlock!
Dermot O'Brien
15   Posted 02/03/2011 at 21:54:22

Chris #2, the idea of demonstrations sounds good, better than fans not going to the games. Little or no support at matches will not improve performances and will do us no good.

A demonstration during the match/ half time would be more effective to get rid of Kenwright and his cronies. Imagine 20,000 fans (the rest might not agree with us) singing/shouting anti-Kenwright guff instead of Grand Old Team. He can't ignore that. And he might just piss off.

Richard Dodd
16   Posted 02/03/2011 at 22:34:17

One thing is for certain,I`ll be first in the queue to renew my season ticket.Life without Everton-win or lose-is unthinkable!
Karl Meighan
17   Posted 02/03/2011 at 22:47:32

You have to wonder if Moyes really knows what he is doing? Anichebe is big and strong ok big, so shall we go to the local gym spot a couple of meathead muscle men and throw them a blue shirt and give them a four year contract on £35,000 a week? Just what quality or footballing skill does Moyes see in him? The final straw last night was in the five minutes injury time the team did not have the quality to launch it into the Reading area and instead had to try and retrieve posession from Championship players.

Some fans are saying we keep the ball well? Teams let us have the ball infront of them until we reach the penalty area, ie danger zone, as they know are players struggle to get behind teams and dont have the quality needed to play a killer pass, its pedestrian, slow and painfully poor to watch. No striker in the world can score goals without service.

Last night was one of the first times ever a five foot nothing striker outjumped not one but two six foot centrebacks. I am confused at last night's game plan we seemed to play with widemen well five across midfield yet failed to deliver a single cross for are striker(s) to attack. Did Moyes have a plan of any sort?

In about four of the last five games we have conceded goals with all eleven players in are own penalty area from corners, how last night a six foot clumsy centre-back has time to chest the ball down a get a shot on target and score is beyond me. Reading what Moyes said after the game he believes Reading came to park the bus well David if a fan knew nothing and just turned up and saw a corner they would believe it was Everton who parked the bus.

James Flynn
18   Posted 03/03/2011 at 02:19:53

Doddy - You're the best. You take a lot of stuff in here and remain upbeat regarding the Club.
Phil Bellis