Please drop everyone BUT Tim Cahill

The scales dropped from my eyes last night.

A team consisting of most of my former heroes who I have consistently promoted as amongst the best starting eleven in the division performed like a team that belonged in the lowest reaches of the Championship, let alone the Premier League.

Personally, I'm still chiefly blaming Moyes for his total lack of tactical plan (at least any evidence of it on the pitch was lost on me!) but, even if that eleven had simply been told to get on with it, they should still have had enough.

I know one man does not make a team but Tim Cahill still DOES make a difference and until we get him back in this team we will slide further to mediocrity.

Beckford should have been in his element last night against a lower division's reserve back four and Ian Harte (Ian Harte ffs!) and instead was in the mire. I'm not blaming him, the whole team (perhaps not Baines) was abysmal, but I am totally convinced that Tim Cahill would have made a difference!

Mark Murphy, Horsham West Sussex     Posted 02/03/2011 at 14:37:22

Comments

James Carroll
1   Posted 02/03/2011 at 15:13:10

Agree.

Over the last few years, Cahill is the only player who CONSISTENTLY sheds blood, sweat and tears for the cause. His attitude is like no other player I have seen in recent times (for any team, for that matter!)

Also ? time to give some others a go? Baxter, Duffy, Wallace, Vellios?? Can't be much worse than what we have... surely?!

Chris Rudd
2   Posted 02/03/2011 at 15:20:00

Hallelujah brother!
Shaun Brennan
3   Posted 02/03/2011 at 15:26:22

Don't need to drop him, he's injured.
Steve Leary
4   Posted 02/03/2011 at 16:30:24

Timmy Cahill an Everton legend!!!!!!! As for last night Kenwright, Moyes, Neville ? please fucking go!!
Stephen W Leary Jnr
5   Posted 02/03/2011 at 16:44:20

Tim Cahill ? Everton legend!!! As for last night, please Kenwright and Moyes, please go and take fucking Neville and Anichebe with you!!!!
Ray Said
6   Posted 02/03/2011 at 16:44:50

Mark
Baines doesn't deserve to be dropped. He plays his heart out, gives, 100% and more to the point, plays at a high level, score and creates goals. Hard to see what he has done wrong.
Mark Murphy
7   Posted 02/03/2011 at 16:50:03

Ray,
I said, "perhaps not Baines".
(and maybe Howard)

The rest of them can fuck right off!
Ray Said
8   Posted 02/03/2011 at 16:54:19

Mark
Glasses now on mate! My eyes are still not working properly after iI tried to scrub away the sight of that crap we watched last night.
Stephen W Leary Jnr
9   Posted 02/03/2011 at 16:53:07

Baines, Cahill, and Felliani are the only players this season who can hold their heads up high ? the rest can go in the summer; we need a clear out... Starting at the top!.
John Gee
10   Posted 02/03/2011 at 17:02:55

Is that the same Cahill who fucked off to the other side of the world to play in a meaningless tournament when we needed all hands on deck?
Liam Reilly
11   Posted 02/03/2011 at 17:47:44

John #9, you can't blame the guy for wanting to play for his country, FFS. He didn't schedule the tournament mid-season, did he?

Totally agree with the post, 4-5-1, 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 didn't work last night, might've been different with TC's instinct.
Alex Kociuba
12   Posted 02/03/2011 at 18:22:51

Agree with you, Stephen, but, although abysmal last night, I'd also keep Distin (and maybe Saha).
Christopher McCullough
13   Posted 02/03/2011 at 18:35:50

Interesting new formation.
Ross Keeley
14   Posted 02/03/2011 at 18:34:09

Totally agree ?we need a clear out next season. I would only be disappointed if we lost Baines, Cahill, Fellaini, Coleman, Rodwell and Distin (maybe).

I think lack of pace is our biggest downfall, our build-up is always so slow and predictable. Although not a Premier League standard player by any means, Kebe caused us a few problems last night just because he is quick.

Jimmy Hacking
15   Posted 02/03/2011 at 19:08:03

For me, the problem with all these arguments about whether we play better with or without Cahill, or how we accommodate him, should we change our tactics to fit him in, should we play him as a striker, behind a striker yadda yadda... is this:

Cahill is a true enigma who doesn't really play well alongside ANYONE; He just sorta gets on with the business of winning football matches. There are some players with whom you have to simply throw them into the mix and rely on them to produce the goods. And Cahill DOES produce the goods. Time and time again.
Gerry Rutter
16   Posted 02/03/2011 at 20:34:53

To John Gee at 9. If Moyes had refused to let Cahill play in that tournament, or if Tim didn't want to go, then Football Australia would have made sure via Fifa that he sat out the duration of the tournament on the bench. I was pissed off as an Aussie that he was playing against the likes of India while the blues were struggling.
Joe McMahon
17   Posted 02/03/2011 at 21:11:14

John (9), I agree, I was too dissapointed when he left for several weeks when we needed him. He's now come back injured and guess what ? we need him more than ever.
Joe McMahon
18   Posted 02/03/2011 at 21:14:01

Baines and Howard and Coleman ? the only ones with heads held high this season; up to last night I would have also included Beckford. On saying that, Magaye Gueye hasn't done anything wrong either, it's just we never see him.
Stephen W Leary Jnr
19   Posted 02/03/2011 at 21:41:23

Agree with you Alex Kociuba mate, Distin should be kept; Saha though... I think it's time we got rid ? he ain't reliable.

I also read we turned down three approaches for the club ? what a disgrace Kenwright and that board is.

Russell Buckley
20   Posted 03/03/2011 at 00:19:42

John Gee 9#,

I'm as blue as the next toffee but go easy on Tim. The Asian Cup isn't a nothing tournement. Its the equivalent of the European Cup for Australia so second only to the World Cup.

I know plenty of English football fans couldn't give a toss about their national team but its a bit different this side of the world. Tim is a proud Australian and he like every footballer wants to play at the highest level.

Tim is a die hard blue but make no mistake he would have a transfer requests lodged in a heart beat if the club tried to stop him playing for Australia. He also has FIFA on his side.

Not fair to bag Tim for wanting to contribute to both club and country.

How about directing your annoyance to the guys in the team who do neither.
Eric Myles
21   Posted 03/03/2011 at 02:07:28

How can you say Beckford was in the mire, he wan't even in the team!
Mark Murphy
22   Posted 03/03/2011 at 09:24:45

Eric #20 ? did you switch off at half time then?
John Vanderwerff
23   Posted 03/03/2011 at 12:48:31

I don't think Baines was that clever against Reading or all season. He doesn't hold his position defensively, and often gets into crossing positions and fails to deliver. I wouldn't argue with the fact that he gives 100% -? that was always a given for me though these days it no longer seems to be the case.

We lack leadership. I have had much faith in Phil Neville in this context (he isn't the best player in the world) but even he has lost his confidence in this team. We need a midfielder who can create ? that in our set up is Arteta and he has been woeful consistently for the last 18 months. Let's hope next season he will be better!