Members:   Log In Sign Up

American investment?

Yes, I know it's only a rumour, so let's not get all silly about the news. But, did anyone listen to the discussion on Radio Merseyside referred to in the Rumour Mill article, and, if so, could you summarise the interesting bits for the rest of us, please?
Chris Jones [NZ], Lincoln, NZ     Posted 02/03/2011 at 21:07:49

Comments

Craig Taylor
1   Posted 02/03/2011 at 21:55:05

So... 3 bids rejected. And the board have said no one has been interested. Bill Kenwright is killing our club. This is further proof of the lies he has told us. Our club is a joke and the current board is taking it down.
Danny Broderick
2   Posted 02/03/2011 at 21:56:04

It pains me to write this but there are stormy waters ahead and it is time to do something before it's too late. Our season is over, all we have left is to make sure we stay in the Premier League.

We have sold all of our assets. Our wage bill last year was 69% of turnover. With a reduced turnover expected this year, we have had to loan out players to keep the wage bill down. We don't appear to have any long-term plans now that Kirkby has finally been booted into touch. We are paying out £4.5 million a year in interest payments, and have already borrowed against all of our future revenue streams. I could go on...

It's time for action. We need a protest at the last game of the season. Ironically, it's against Chelsea, the Premier League's nouveau riche. I imagine by then this game will have nothing riding on it, we will be somewhere between 11th and 16th so our protests won't do any real damage to the team.

I don't dislike Bill Kenwright as a guy, and I am sure he means well, but he has to see that we can't go on drifting like this. Does he really want to be forced out, for things to turn ugly and never be welcome back? Surely not ? we need to make this clear to him, go now before it's too late.

I don't care who he sells to, be it Indians, Saudis, Americans whoever ? if someone can come in and clear the debt, Everton FC would be £4.5 million better off every year in interest payments alone. There are buyers out there ? declare a price Bill, cos no-one's gonna come to you. State your price, let's get it out in the media, and start the ball rolling.

Some of you reading this will be members of various fan groups ? let's get it going!

Paul Conatzer
3   Posted 02/03/2011 at 21:59:55

I can reveal now, that I had made a bid for Everton dependent on me hitting all three big US lotteries. However, when I got only four numbers on one of them, I had to pull out.... Kenwright said without the lotteries, I only had enough money to pay for polish for the boots for a month, but could he have it... cause Everton needed it. "You don't want the players to buy their own polish," he told me in a trans-Atlantic phone call.
Steve Higham
4   Posted 02/03/2011 at 21:58:34

Billy Liar wasn't even at our game last night. He was at the opening night of his new West End production 'The Wizard of Oz'.

Billy Liar, it's about time you 'followed the yellow brick road ' and fucked off from our once great club.

Gavin Ramejkis
5   Posted 02/03/2011 at 22:20:28

BBC IPlayer, switch to radio search for new stations and say Liverpool as address and add it then browse today's schedule and play at will, you can hear it for yourself.

David O'Keefe
6   Posted 02/03/2011 at 22:22:39

The club is close to administration, and these revelations will damage the current regime. The clubs asset utilisation policy has hit the wall and the banks are getting nervous.

The regime have to sell.
David Price
7   Posted 02/03/2011 at 22:17:24

If true, then it's the proof that anyone needed about Bill Kenwright.

A lot of us, myself included, have trusted him as an Evertonian who in his heart wants what is best for the club and is in a difficult position to bring the club on with no disposable cash. This story though, really caps the despair we face.

To think that someone with deep pockets has been shown the door for no reason is unthinkable. We need the truth to come out from anyone who is in a position of trust to reveal the truth.

Yes, as Everton fans we are laid back and don't react in a crisis like some revolutionary state, but I'm sure if these stories are facts, then hell hath no fury as an Evertonian scorned could well be the updated phrase.

If we have been treated this way, then the anger will dwarf any shirt-burning some phoney kopite can come up with.

Chris Jones
8   Posted 02/03/2011 at 22:40:39

Gavin, thanks for the link. I tried, but that particular programme is listed as "not available."

So, could someone please tell me what was said?
Colin Malone
9   Posted 02/03/2011 at 22:42:25

That's why we never bought anyone in the transfer window.

If you sold your house and are waiting for the contracts to be signed, you ain't going to buy a new bathroom suite.

So there might be some truth in the story.

Jack Farrington
10   Posted 02/03/2011 at 22:59:16

There you go Chris.
James Flynn
11   Posted 03/03/2011 at 01:38:07

I can only hope one of the interested American parties was the NY Yankees. Not likely, but still.

I wonder if AEG was one of them. Not just that they own LA Galaxy (Donovan alert), but that they own substantial properties in England.

Plus, I have to wonder, where are these 100s of millions to re-furbish the Old Girl coming from?
James Flynn
12   Posted 03/03/2011 at 02:03:38

That is, where are these reports that fixing up Goodison will cost £100s of millions coming from? £100s of millions is for new construction, not fixing up an existing facility.

I have mentioned this before, but the RS's new owner fixed up Fenway Park in Boston, MA (It remains a dump) just by sprucing the place up. Just as old a place as Goodison and fixing it didn't cost anything remotely close to "£100s of millions".
Kieran Kinsella
13   Posted 03/03/2011 at 02:59:20

Listening to that station made me see how dumb so many fans are. "We have zero debt under BK" claimed one bloke.
Eric Myles
14   Posted 03/03/2011 at 04:59:33

James, the '£100s of millions to fix Goodison' stories are coming from BK and his supporters. And like Kieran says, there are lots of gullible BK supporters out there.
Jamie Crowley
15   Posted 03/03/2011 at 05:35:00

James -
Fenway is hallowed ground...

It might be old, but the renovations have been nothing short of stupendous.

Goodison could see a similar revitalization, if only we had owners who had the money to do so.
Craig Taylor
16   Posted 03/03/2011 at 07:45:13

Follow Evertonians for change, they are about trying to get answers out of the club. This is a big answer that they are seeking, who was interested? And why were they not accepted?
Steve Guy
17   Posted 03/03/2011 at 08:26:50

Anyone waiting to get a straight answer out of the Club's management will need the patience of a saint. Why should they tell anyone anything; they are under no obligation?
Neil Adderley
18   Posted 03/03/2011 at 08:33:47

Contact David Bick through his firms website:

David Bick, Chairman, has been a City PR and takeover adviser for over 25 years and has handled a number of football assignments involving clubs and representative bodies such as Manchester United, Leeds United, West Bromwich Albion, the Football League and more recently Southampton FC. He has also led the communications strategies for the takeovers of Aston Villa and Manchester City.

Craig Taylor
19   Posted 03/03/2011 at 08:48:21

Get the numbers behind them though steve and the club will have to take them seriously, especially if it got to the point where a protest would be the way forward. There is no chance or point of a protest until significant numbers of support for a group.
Jonathan Tasker
20   Posted 03/03/2011 at 09:13:29

In order for someone to buy the club, it needs to be offered for sale. I see little evidence of that being the case.

The Chairman showed where his loyalty lies when he chose to go to the wizard of oz the other night.
James Greem
21   Posted 03/03/2011 at 10:15:21

I wouldn't be surprised if the Yank investors that were interested in us, decided to show BK what he'd missed out on, so decided to buy the closest possible club, they play in red or something, can't remember the name...

Just a thought..
Craig Taylor
22   Posted 03/03/2011 at 10:45:45

James, I wondered about that actually.

We will never know with the way the club is currently run.

They do not give a fuck about us fans.
Brian Price
23   Posted 03/03/2011 at 10:55:00

Did Kenwright really go to the Wizard of Oz? If he did, that is an absolute joke! Here's me, spending £25 I haven't really got at the moment, to see the team and hopefully support my chance of a trip to Wembley (had we got there). Kenwright goes for a night at the theatre and yet would no doubt have been lording it up in his comfy seat for the cameras had we made Wembley.

It's all wrong and shows how out of touch our 'leader' is. I'm so sick of our club. Why should the rest of us stretch our finances when our Chairman, supposedly a true blue, can't be arsed to take his seat. Kenwright, Elstone and co can go whistle if they think I'm putting any more of my money into this shambles. 'Frozen season tickets' ? woop-dee-doo! On what we have seen this season, that's a joke and they are dreaming if they think they'll get anywhere near the numbers they have had this season to watch will no doubt be a weaker squad than we have now.

Sell up/Invest some money in the team or I (and I think many others) won't be renewing my season ticket/buying away/cup tickets/merchandise next season. As people who actually care about Everton, we need to take a stand and show this situation isn't good enough.

I am so sad by the situation we are in and wish those running the club would sort this sorry mess. They are risking losing a next generation of supporters and subsequently ruining the club.
Charles King
24   Posted 03/03/2011 at 11:16:59

We appear so close to the edge financially; nothing will happen at Everton until we're at rock bottom. Interested parties will hold back until the end of the season to see if rock bottom is low end Prem or Championship, whichever, BK and chums are going to have to bend over on this one. Serves them right for being so shifty in the past.
David Holroyd
25   Posted 03/03/2011 at 11:26:04

Short term do not buy Season Tickets. Buy tickets when there is a change at the top.
Marc Williams
26   Posted 03/03/2011 at 11:08:13

I caught the last 10 mins of this last night & it was the usual complete bollocks.

The presenters were doing their level best to 'toe the EFC party line', you know the kind of thing... "Bill's not here right now..." (he never fucking is when there's questions to answer) "...but if he was I'm sure he'd say this inane, untrue bollocks that I'm now going to repeat at you dumb patronised listeners."

FFS... At one point a guy complained about Bill not being at the match to which the presenter says, "Well, if he wasn't working so hard on his other business interests he wouldn't have the money to put into Everton."

Well, Mr Presenter prick, what fucking money would that be then? As ? to most informed people's knowledge ? he has NOT put one penny of his own money into the club!

All I can say is that if this presenter wanted a job working for Gadaffi, talking down to the people of Libya about how great their leader is & how he is still "in control" ... then boy did this fella pass the audition.

The last few minutes was then taken up by some idiot claiming "we had no debt" and a mysterious 'arl fella' telling us how great Mr Kenwright was, whilst remembering fond memories about the Boys Pen... now where have I heard that before?

Craig Taylor
27   Posted 03/03/2011 at 12:06:06

I can't stand Kenwright, but to be fair it was not as simple as a night out at the theatre.

He has as much business interest in the production as he does in EFC. The two things clashed, these things happen.

He has a lot more to answer too than us wasting our time worrying about him missing one match.

For fuck sake the lieing twat as just be proven to have been bull shitting us about people not being interested in buying us.

John Audsley
28   Posted 03/03/2011 at 12:31:50

Well, its sound to me like the entire broadcast was a total waste of time. If the interviewer is only going to take "certain" calls and the entire thing ends with that old "in the boys pen" or that old crap about him needing a piss but wouldnt go cos he was worried he'd miss a goal rubbish then its pointless.I turned it on for 4 seconds and heard "Uncle Tom Cannon" talking his usual talk and turned it off.

Maybe more worrying is that this thread is about investment and only 28 people have commented. A lot of people commented on Tuesday and Wednesday they where so fed up with EFC that season tickets etc where in the bin or not gonna be renewed.

Maybe we are on the verge of giving up... Hope not, but the way the club is run is a joke and BK deserves all the flack he gets. As do the players, coaches and Moyes ? and the twat announcer who gives us the time of the Golden Goal.
Chris Matheson
29   Posted 03/03/2011 at 12:51:05

Can I ask - sorry if I have missed this -

Where did the story/rumour come from?

Has the club denied it yet, or made any comment?
Jalil Noor
30   Posted 03/03/2011 at 13:07:20

Kenwrong was busy trying to make some money to pay the tea lady...
Kieran Kinsella
31   Posted 03/03/2011 at 13:16:32

Marc Williams

That made me mad to. They made it seem as if BK is like Dick Van Dyke in "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" putting on some cabaret so he can come home with a hatful of money for the folks back home. What a crock.
Peter Dancer
32   Posted 03/03/2011 at 13:35:41

@Steve Higham

Not sure if he went or not, but Wizard of Oz isn't his new show. It's Andrew Lloyd Webber's new show. It's also worth missing apparently.
Ste Traverse
33   Posted 03/03/2011 at 13:31:31

I wish that useless horrible cunt would stick to his theatres as h's fucking hopeless when it comes to running a football club .

The man has an ego the size of the Albert Dock and together with his arrogance he really believes he's the right man to take the club forward despite his many cock-ups, lack of finance and nous.

That non-story on NWT last night was a complete load of nonsense and I suspect one his chums in the media was behind it.
Craig Taylor
34   Posted 03/03/2011 at 13:48:55

Peter Dancer ? again I am totally against Kenwright but, to be fare, he is involved with the production. Lloyd Webber is too an is the front man but has his fingers in.

Anyway, Kenwright out!
Drew O'Neall
35   Posted 03/03/2011 at 13:40:24

The call-in was publicised locally so why weren't our new activist groups organised enough to hijack the airwaves?

So far there have been 34 posts with the same level of disgust at the content of this show, who know the 'real story' and yet I only heard one voice who seemed to echo anything like this vitriolic sentiment.

Are you all just frustrated forum junkies?
David Price
36   Posted 03/03/2011 at 14:00:47

Not worth listening to, the main thing that comes out which the club can do something about is the poor communication from the club to the fans. No real insight around potential buyers, possibly some time wasting Yanks out for a quick sale and turn Goodison into a Walmart Asda.

Tesco Terry officially left them yesterday... wonder if he's got any plans for us. Desperate and depressed, the lot of us.

Kieran Kinsella
37   Posted 03/03/2011 at 14:06:32

Drew

I think a lot of us are fans who live abroad now or outside Merseyside so we don't get the same Kool Aid to drink each week in the form of pro-BK propaganda on the local radio and the Echo. We can view things more objectively from a distance and are frustrated at the mindless sheep who sit and and get taken in by the BS.
Craig Taylor
38   Posted 03/03/2011 at 14:18:50

Surely you should question groups on their pages rather than here?!
Joe McParland
39   Posted 03/03/2011 at 15:57:50

#36 Drew O'Neall .
If you listen to the whole broadcast, one of the first people on the phone was Dave from Evertonians For Change. He says so on the show.
James I'Anson
40   Posted 03/03/2011 at 17:48:57

The only thing Bill has been successful in at Everton is to split the fan base on every issue within the club.

Not even down the middle. He's managed to fuck it up so badly that I'm not even sure if I agree with myself anymore.

This is one of the most saddening aspects of his tenure. It's very difficult to be positive and until he leaves it will not change.
Simon Templeman
41   Posted 03/03/2011 at 18:38:03

This is not to defend BK but have you not been seeing the financial results of our competitors?

Villa for example, lost £37 million last year despite a profit on player sales and have a wage bill of 88% of turnover. People talk about investment but this is pissing it at the wall. I only hope our "leaders" are waiting for this suicidal nonsense to end and those paying silly wages do a Leeds.

Chad Schofield
42   Posted 03/03/2011 at 18:49:40

Well, I suppose at least the presenter backed up the fact that not all interested parties are going to make lots of noise while negotiating or after failed negotiations ? so that'll be one less bullshit blanket answer "FOR ALL THOSE WHO WANT KENWRIGHT OUT TELL US WHERE THIS QUEUE OF RICH INTERESTED PARTIES IS".

But basically there wasn't a great deal in there. This whole "Everton need to sit down at the end of the season and revisit share options, attracting outside investment or a buyout strategy" surely should have been in place effectively since Kenwright took over... then post Kirkby... but no, we are where we are because of this inability. Why do we need to wait? Surely there's time (24/7?) before then - and if not what exactly have the board been fucking doing! What's Keith Harris been doing other than fisting Blue Bill?

Kieran Kinsella
43   Posted 03/03/2011 at 19:13:59

I guess the thing that puzzles me about Red Bill is that he had no money when he "bought" the club from another guy who sold it cause the bank called in loans and he was either unable or unwilling to invest his own money either. Therefore, what was the point of buying it? BK is like one of these people who lies about his income on his mortgage app to buy a massive house he cannot afford and then goes round the neighborhood trying to get free handouts from other people to keep him in his house. Every time the bank try to foreclose he "almost has a buyer".
Simon Templeman
44   Posted 03/03/2011 at 19:20:53

Kieran, the banks will not be fooled by Bill's Bluster. They are only interested in numbers. If some cretin wants to come in and "invest" £100 million to wipe our debt and then throw another £150 million in wages/transfer fees, then I would like to know how/why he/she found that money.
Kieran Kinsella
45   Posted 03/03/2011 at 21:39:27

Simon

I don't know. We had a loan with Bear Stearns who folded in the US because they leant out tonnes of so called "liar loans" that were never repaid. See below

Nick Armitage
46   Posted 03/03/2011 at 23:04:02

Right, can someone please tell me why all major Premiership clubs have had significant inward investment over the last decade, except Everton?

I simply do not believe that there have been no interested parties and I don't give two fucks what I am told. Kenwright is a liar, always has been, always fucking will be.

Anyway, moving forward, the club is financially fucked. It is well known within the game that the current regime have brought us to the brink of administration. As a consequence the current shareholders will be forced to sell, they have no more assets to sell and they have exhausted every revenue stream.

The vultures are circling and the end for Kenwright is near. Good fucking riddance. I just hope the prick see sense and lets go before he finishes us as a club.
James Flynn
47   Posted 04/03/2011 at 00:07:47

Jamie (16) I hear you and agree. Figured you'd see the post and couldn't resist sticking the needle in.

No doubt your boys (Red Sox-wise only, of course) know what they're doing and then some when it comes to generating revenue. Which is why I got nervous when seeing they bought the RS. Not good.
Richard Harris
48   Posted 04/03/2011 at 01:47:17

Talking of the Wizard of Oz, there was a review in the London Metro paper today that uses phrases such as " a certain feeling of creative complacency", "no emotional core to the production", "the script never sparkles and your heart will never thump".

The lead character "sings with sweetness and proficiency but never convinces you that she is on a big adventure" and the companions "sadly, feel like bit parts: there are no great performances to make you root for these lost souls on their journey of self discovery". Change the context and some of the terminology and it all sounds a bit familiar......

Adam Fenlon
49   Posted 04/03/2011 at 02:06:00

Bear in mind that the vast majority of "investment proposals" will be shit for the club and involve loading the purchase price as additional debt onto the club to repay.

In most cases, BK will be spot on in rejecting these proposals.
Danny Broderick
50   Posted 04/03/2011 at 03:37:41

James Flynn
51   Posted 04/03/2011 at 04:09:19

James and Craig (22/23). Nah. Realize this is all conjecture in here, but MLB's RS could not have been the interested Americans. Then went for the team wears the same red jersey they do. Fuck the RS, but they are a legitimate Brand that went up at bargain prices and the Red Sox couldn't resist. Jamie Crowley could tell you better than me, that bunch really, really know how to promote a team.

Now if only my Yankees would buy EFC (sighing). Blue jerseys alike, instant and massive news and credibility for EFC in America, Jamie Crowley's head turning all the way round like Linda Blair's in the Exorcist.

Ah well.
Jamie Crowley
52   Posted 04/03/2011 at 04:36:55

James Flynn-

Back one night later...

I concur 100%. NESV is extremely well run and they will, over time, provide stability and a very good business model and approach for Liverpool. They are very long-term thinking and inject cash - that they either have or that is managable debt within their means - when necessary.

The fact they own LFC is depressing beyond words to me. But sports is business, and true to form they've made a very good investment and I believe over time they will work wonders for the RS.

Oh for the same....

BTW - quite happy you've stuck around post-Donovan unlike every other American contributor. I question your Yankee tendencies :0) but enjoy having another Yank in the ranks.

We're a small, red-headed stepchild minority here... but there's no better Club to get behind.

Cheers.
Jamie Crowley
53   Posted 04/03/2011 at 04:57:29

JF -

And yes, if your pipe dream of Steinbrenner taking the East Coast baseball battle-royale went over the pond to Liverpool and that prick bought Everton, I'd slit my wrists.

Go Sox... FTRS
Andy Callan
54   Posted 04/03/2011 at 07:33:54

If this is true, then why would they reject the bids? BK must be makin' a stack of cash out of Everton otherwise he'd want to get shut; after all, he's a businessman at the end of the day.

WTF would ANYONE want to buy Everton FC FFS ? the ground is a fuckin' shed and the team is full of below-average players.

Bollox to it ? sell Howard, Coco, Baines, Arteta & Cahill then sell the ground and start the Everton Toffees ? the new NFL team on Stanley Park.
Den King
55   Posted 04/03/2011 at 09:05:22

BTW, Chris, I salute your devotion to the blues. The epicentre of a massive earthquake less than 10 miles away in Christchurch and you're more worried about the future of EFC.

Well done! And shows how precarious our position is!

Gavin Ramejkis
56   Posted 04/03/2011 at 10:00:48

Adam #50, odd that Kenshite turns that down when it's exactly what he did to buy the club 11 years ago and it's a hole that has gotten bigger and bigger year on year.
Mike Rourke
57   Posted 04/03/2011 at 11:21:34

A tip for these or any other 'interested parties'.

Throw us a bone, leak it to the press that you are making a move but are facing 'an obstacle or two within the EFC boardroom' and rest assured that we'll get out there to help force things along; placards, banners, chants, marches, etc.

Such unrest might even secure you a 10-20% discount... at that price it's got to be worth thinking about.

I really ought to charge a fee for such advice but, for the good of EFC, I'm prepared to waive it.
Gary Carter
58   Posted 04/03/2011 at 12:34:03

I personally can't understand how someone that searches for investment 24/7 can also fit in time to go to the theatre. Unless Billy Liar's lies have now reached such epic proportions that he is defying time and works 25/8. Perhaps one of his lemming-like followers can answer this for us?
James Flynn
59   Posted 04/03/2011 at 23:37:05

Jamie Crowley ? Regarding Americans jumping in and out with Landon. Just goes to show how his remaining with the Club would have sustained the major boost in EFC's profile over here.

Once he posed himself as all but an open supplicant to EFC after the World Cup and poor Moyes had to state financial reasons for not getting him back on a transfer? Let's face it, most guys in the States turned their backs on the team. A bad business and a good business opportunity lost for the Club.