Outing ? Part 1: Stephen Graham

Whilst other media display wild homophobia by outing gay sports stars, I have for some time , thought that real "Outing" should be properly reserved for people in the public eye who have taken a wrong turn in life and have ended up somehow supporting that lot, the name that we cannot and will not say.

And so , in what I hope will be the first in a series of enlightening articles, I bring you Stephen Graham. Not a bad actor, it has to be said, indeed very good in This is England and now in Boardwalk Empire, playing Al Capone, no less.

However, in ShortList today he talks of his love for that team and mentions speaking of their plight to one Johnny Depp. He then talks about an Evertonian who works for Johnny and about the Evertonian trying to steer Johnny to the dark side. We applaud that Evertonian, whoever you are.

More outings to follow.

Jonathan Tasker, London     Posted 03/03/2011 at 08:36:15

Comments

Christopher McCullough
1   Posted 03/03/2011 at 15:28:27

Jonny Depp is amongst the coolest people on the planet. He will certainly prefer The Blues.
Peter Dry
2   Posted 03/03/2011 at 18:36:49

I've never understood people's fascination with Jonny Depp. Stephen Graham's cockney accent in Snatch is far better than Depp's Dick Van Dyke effort in From Hell. Also, Graham's from Kirkby so I wonder whether the KEIOC brigade class him as a scouser??
Jon Cox
3   Posted 03/03/2011 at 20:34:15

Depp IS totaly overrated when put against guys like De-Niro and Paccino. He is of course a madia construct that all the Eastender brigade fall at his knees.

Did have to laugh by the way, when Depp opened his mouth to sing in the SweeneY Todd musical and what we got was David Bowie. Classic shit man.
Stephen W Leary Jnr
4   Posted 03/03/2011 at 21:35:51

Could Johnny Depp buy us? Lol. COYB!!
Peter Dry
5   Posted 03/03/2011 at 22:07:12

Stephen, right now i'd take Dick Van Dyke!
Eugene Ruane
6   Posted 03/03/2011 at 23:50:34

Was Al Capone only four foot eleven? Coz he is on Boardwalk Empire. No doubt if they were making the Giant Haystack story, Ronnie Corbett would have got the nod.
John Daley
7   Posted 03/03/2011 at 23:31:17

"Depp totaly overrated when put against guys like De-Niro and Paccino"

De Niro and Pacino have been living off past glories and simply embarrassing themselves for the past fifteen years or more. Last half-decent performance De Niro gave was in Heat, and Pacino probably The Insider. They're almost as infuriating and cringeworthy to watch as the Blues these days.

They were great in the eighties but now regularly put in piss-poor performances with virtually no chance of hitting award-winning heights ever again. They're the fucking Everton of the method acting world. Except not skint.

Stephen Graham
8   Posted 03/03/2011 at 23:57:38

I resemble that! I don't have a cockney accent. A scouse-midatlantic wi' a wee hint ae glesca.

But not cockney! There!

Been a Blue since '62.
Peter Dry
9   Posted 04/03/2011 at 00:57:45

In their pomp, who was the better actor, Bob or Al?? For me, Pacino's performance in The Godfather and The Godfather Part II the way he portrays Michael Corleone exactly as Puzo wrote it is breathtaking and makes me just favour him. His monologue in Any Given Sunday is inspiring as well. There's a YouTube video of Everton greats/goals etc with this speech as the voice over. It's a bit cheesy but worth a watch.

Eugene, I noticed your observation about the height difference as well; I believe Capone was broader than Graham too. Also, why not just get a yank to play a yank? Albeit Graham's accent isn't too bad but it just puts me off.
Adam Fenlon
10   Posted 04/03/2011 at 02:05:51

Pacino vs De Niro vs Depp on ToffeeWeb?? Christ, the football must be worse then I feared!

So who was the better supermodel lads ? Elle MacPherson, Naomi Campbell or.... Linda Evangelista?
Eric Myles
11   Posted 04/03/2011 at 03:02:07

John #7, my favourite DeNiro performance was in the excellent Monsters Inc.
James Flynn
12   Posted 04/03/2011 at 03:02:10

Couldn't tell you about Linda. She looked fabulous up close, but didn't like to brush her teeth and chain-smoked. I just couldn't get past that.

Naomi, on her night, was all I could hope for. But she identified too much with flash bulbs going off, men slobbering all over her, and all the other women jealous whenever she walked into a room. She loved that stuff. Pretty shallow, I know. But I wasn't looking to marry her, just wanted to get her to bed on nights like those because she'd be all wired up and hot to trot.

But, the best for last, Elle, Elle, Elle. The real thing day or night. 2 good years, I'll tell you. But one day she was gone on a shoot and I realized I missed her. So I got the hell out of there.
James Flynn
13   Posted 04/03/2011 at 03:19:21

JD - DeNiro was hysterical in Analyze This; which was a pretty good comedy. Lots of laughs.
Andy Callan
14   Posted 04/03/2011 at 07:28:12

A gangster-type run football club would be fuckin' ace. No shit from the players then.....

Beckford would have had his kness done (Lescott stylie) for being late the other night... It would only happen once.

We'd all be able to drink, smoke and fight in the ground without fear of being arrested and even if you were then the club would be able to bail you out, provide a fake passport and move to to Spain on the sly......

Ha ha ha ha ? sounds fuckin' ace to me like.
Eugene Ruane
15   Posted 04/03/2011 at 09:46:08

John Daley - brilliant!
Liam Reilly
16   Posted 04/03/2011 at 13:03:07

James #12 ? You need to stop taking the mushrooms, mate
James Cadwaladr
17   Posted 04/03/2011 at 13:19:27

Pacino's best performance for me was in "Scent of a Woman". Genius.
Jamie Tulacz
18   Posted 04/03/2011 at 14:11:21

John (7) love the analogy!

How about Stallone though, fits the living off past glories to a tee, and is a known blue!
David Hallwood
19   Posted 04/03/2011 at 19:21:08

Let's not forget a true acting giant and Evertonian, Sylvester Stallone, better than Al & Bob put together. Who can forget his mesmerising performances as Rambo?
Mike Green
20   Posted 04/03/2011 at 23:12:00

Bang on John Daley ? De Niro and Pacino have just become a parody of themselves. Credit to De Niro though for The Fockers series... OK, OK, I know it's wank but I'm a young family man and all that and it's pretty enjoyable stuff. Pacino though ? none of that, Jim Broadbent's better ? and I'm not being sarcy, he fucking is.

James Flynn ? I've been with Caprice twice, once in a lift, once in a revolving door. I was going up, she was going down; I was going in, she was going out. I wish that was an analogy but it's not. Typical.
James Flynn
21   Posted 05/03/2011 at 05:15:17

Liam (16) Jesus! I never thought of it that way for a second. The day Elle left for her shoot was when we did our last mushrooms. Ah well, I retain the fondest memories.

Plus, the money she gave me for not releasing all the sex tapes of us. Not that I ever would have.... you understand.