Members:   Log In Sign Up

It?s Time to Go For It

With all our injuries and Brum coming to play for a draw (4-5-1), we should go for it and play a 3-5-2 formation; it gets our strongest (fit) players on the pitch in a system that could prove to be extremely well balanced:

Howard
   Heitinga   Jagielka    Distin
              Rodwell
Coleman   Osman    Arteta    Baines
          Beckford   Saha

You?ve got Rodwell who can slip back and support at centre-back, two wing backs with pace to burn with an end product that can defend and our best two ball playing midfielders through the middle with Strikers in form. Together with player interchangeability throughout the team and the ability to utilise Bily in a central position from the bench in place of Osman.

Working with the resources we have available & the opposition in question, why not go for it? you can easily revert back if it doesn?t work. But given we?ve 3 games in a row at HOME, this team would defiantly make me and the rest of Gwladys St ROAR with optimism!

And if Ya Know Yer 'Istory, it?s enough to make ya heart go????

We are at a phase of games in which we need to go full tilt, not keeping it tight or playing players out of position. Fellow season ticket holders deserve Goodison rockin' for the remaining games given the season we?ve had.

COYBs

Alex Buckley, Huyton     Posted 08/03/2011 at 00:51:34

Comments

Russell Buckley
1   Posted 08/03/2011 at 02:31:10

It would be fantastic to see a line up like that just once.

But its a pipe dream. If Moyes sents out that formation against Brum I'll fall off my seat.
Michael Kenrick
2   Posted 08/03/2011 at 02:25:43

So Alex... I think you've missed a few things:

1) Three centre-backs?

I don't believe Moyes, in all his nine years of sumptuous footballing glory, has ever played with three centre-backs and two wingbacks, but little or no traditional cover at full-back. Talking of which:

2) Where's the Team Captain?

You don't seem to know Mr Moyes, his habits, and particularly his favourites very well... talking of which:

3) Where's Hibbert?

Surely he and Neville cannot possibly be dropped after Saturday's game. If Neville's not playing then:

4) Who's your captain?

And finally:

5) Where are the subs?

(Sorry, you had half of Bily in your team but I put him back on the subs bench where he was rather lonely.) We used to have a rule that your teamsheet gets deleted unless you list all seven subs as well. I think that rule has just been reinstated... And, in good Anne Whatsherface style, you ARE the Rule Breaker...

Goodbye!!!
Martin Clark
3   Posted 08/03/2011 at 02:41:18

I too would love to see how well we could perform with this formation. The midfield could flourish! Not sure how well the back three would cope but you'd keep them happier this way and on paper looks balanced.

Phil Neville is injured and Hibbert would be a useful replacement to have on the bench along with Bily. Guess that leaves you with whoever is still standing, out of Gueye, Anichebe, Baxter, Mustafi, Duffy & Mucha.

Would be nice to see some more youth come through, and would be interesting to see if Bily can gain some form if he played as a central midfielder as that's were he played and got a good reputation for Lokomotiv Moscow. I still think he could be a great player for Everton given the right opportunity as long as he has the desire, which could be questioned after a few of his performances this season.
Martin Clark
4   Posted 08/03/2011 at 03:06:25

Still believe this is just fantasy as Moyes likes tried and tested and was forced into the discovery of 4-4-1-1 formation due to injuries.

Forgot to answer question 4. Surely it would be Arteta? As he is usually the vice.
Alex Buckley
5   Posted 08/03/2011 at 05:08:52

Michael ? In reverse order:?

Apologies for no subs bench, my first post and I just wanted to make the point that Bilyaletdinov could be played in his preferred position and not stuck out wide.

Subs would be: Mucha, Hibbert, Duffy, Bily, Gueye, Baxter & Anichebe.

Hibbert?s not played most of the season, he?s limited in ability and was one foul away from getting sent off against Newcastle. But no doubt he will play.

With Nev injured, Arteta would be the natural choice or Jags if you wanted to keep the pressure off him.

3 centre-back?s is a pipe dream but we are playing Brum not Barca, they?re coming to pack out the midfield, stifle us & look to nick a goal. The 3 centre backs are all mobile international class defenders with the key to the strategy being Baines & Coleman?s defensive abilities to track back and general work rate which make this a viable option.

We need to maximise the players fit and available; we are starting to suggest Hibbert should play a holding role in midfield ffs. Less offensive teams have been successful against us this season, we need to put that right and put these teams to the sword whatever formation we play.

Even if we changed it after 5 mins, it would have scared Brum to death & Get Goodison Buzzin with the intent.
Michael Kenrick
6   Posted 08/03/2011 at 06:37:44

Welcome, Alex, sorry to be hard on you... good response.

My bad re Neville ? I forget he was injured.

I do agree, if this made us play up, it would be well worth it.
Robbie Shields
7   Posted 08/03/2011 at 06:29:20

Alex, I've got to say that is a very tantalizing selection indeed. I'm normally immediately bored when someone posts their suggested team selection, but I've got to say yours has grabbed my attention.

I also like your reasoning that Brum will come to defend and this looks like it gives us a number of possibilities to break them down. If ever we wondered if DM ever reads ToffeeWeb then surely if he picked this team and formation we would have our answer...

Don't hold your breath, though, this is far too progressive for a defense-first minded manager, playing 4-4-2 on it's own is tantamount to betting everything on black! If DM picked this team/formation I will eat every Everton hat I have, and I have quite a few.

Martin Clark
8   Posted 08/03/2011 at 07:09:33

The other thing with this formation is its adaptability. If it is not working, you only have to move Heitinga to right back, pull Baines back into left back and move Arteta back out to the left. I just think this formation could suit us as we have three class centre-backs and two players with the pace and energy to pull off the wing-back role.

It is frustrating that in reality it is a pipe dream but would be great to see it in action and amazing if it became a winning formula!
Derek Thomas
9   Posted 08/03/2011 at 07:50:34

I love it but it's never going to happen.
Gegsy Rickett
10   Posted 08/03/2011 at 08:01:57

I like the idea of a three-man central defence. There are, however, some fundamental flaws in going down the route with the team you've mentioned.

Firstly, the idea of having Heitinga as the right-sided centre-half, with the possibilty of moving to right-fullback. An absolute "no-no" in my opinion. Heitinga is garbage in any other position than centre-half. He was the man in the centre during Holland's World Cup campaign,and that's what he should be for us, in that formation. Jagielka has played right-back for Sheff Utd, so I'd swap those two around, should circumstances dictate.

Also, the idea of playing Bilyaletdinov alongside Arteta in midfield, with no "enforcer" alongside, rather than behind him, would also put me off. Far too many times does Bilyaletdinov disappear during matches, that will only put further strain on what already looks like a lightweight middle.

The above concern would have more substance to it should Rodwell be required to drop back to a centre-half position. I honestly don't know why some people think that Rodwell will become an outstanding centre-half. In my humble opinion ? he won't. Nor do I see him as a midfield "anchorman". He will excel as a "box-to-box" midfielder.

But, as mentioned, for all the benefits/pitfalls, it's only another alternative idea. Moyes doesn't do "alternative"...
Andrew Laird
11   Posted 08/03/2011 at 08:26:14

The "time to go for it" was August last year, Mr Brown Trousers reverted to type. Don't expect anything from the manager and you won't be disappointed. Funnily enough, haven't we been playing for a draw by your definition (4-5-1) nearly all season/the past 8 years?
Craig Taylor
12   Posted 08/03/2011 at 08:57:28

We all know that it will be:?

Howard
Hibbert
Jags
Distin
Baines
Osman
Rodwell
Heitinga
Arteta
Saha
Beckford

Although thinking about it, we are at home... so we will have to go 4-5-1 so drop Beckford back to the bench and put Coleman back in.
Andy Callan
13   Posted 08/03/2011 at 09:15:32

Don't be so silly......

Do you honestly think Moyes will play an attackin' team like that?!

Besides the players therein aren't good enough anyway....

Oh and you're missing Neville.

I'd play Latchford upfront with Ball just off him.
Alex Buckley
14   Posted 08/03/2011 at 08:31:14

No problem with switching Jags & Heitinga.

In my humble opinion, Rodwell could do the job of mopping up in midfield with plenty of options ahead of him. Let?s face it, we are very light in midfield & could do with an alternative given the predicament.

Bily needs to be brought on from the bench for the last 20mins once we?re in control of a game, maybe in place of a striker in a central position to give him the opportunity to regain his confidence, so if he is a square peg we at least recoup a decent fee. (Personally I still think he?ll excel in the right role.)

As for Andrew ? Sick of all this Moyes bashing, he?s got his faults but just put this into context.

The whole starting 11 I?ve picked cost us just over £25M ? around the same price Villa paid for Bent (who we should have bought for £1m on Royle's recommendation), £10M less than the RS paid for Carroll, half the price of Torres!.

So go take your Brown Trousers and stick a nappy on, oh and it?s dribbling out your mouth too!!!!!
Eric Myles
15   Posted 08/03/2011 at 09:30:14

Alex, with your team on the field and your subs list you've covered every player that we happen to have available as all the others are injured.
Andrew Laird
16   Posted 08/03/2011 at 09:47:37

I'm not the one who shits myself every week, Alex.

If you think Moyes is doing a good job then fair enough; I don't think he is, he has woefully underperformed this season as well as the players.

The money argument is the obvious statement when people won't dare look past game tactics. It is a major problem, I agree, but he has spent money (both wisely and poorly) and more importantly been afforded time which he has not used efficiently in moulding a team/club into an ethos of playing a certain way other than slowly, slowly, catchy pointy.

How Moyes is absolved from any blame is churlish.

Anthony Millington
17   Posted 08/03/2011 at 10:34:24

Why on earth would you move Arteta back in the middle after he played a blinder on the left at the weekend? Madness!
Craig Taylor
18   Posted 08/03/2011 at 11:05:34

To be fair, why would you change the team at all from Saturday? Be fair to the players. Coleman could perhaps do with a rest, and would be good impact coming on (a little earlier than Saturday if necessary.

Neville is injured so Johnny in to midfield. Jack isn't strong enough to play holding midfielder.
James Hollister
19   Posted 08/03/2011 at 11:37:03

The smaller the squad, the better they do, evidenced year after year.

Why give Moyes money to waste when he can't handle it? This season has seen his biggest squad yet... it's not surprising things have really gone belly up.

Anyways... a good win against Brum is required. God help us should we end up qualifying for Europa at the end of the season... err, no thank you! :)
James Hollister
20   Posted 08/03/2011 at 11:40:21

Keep Arteta on the wing, and keep him away from free kicks and corners.

Heitinga... umm, unless he plays in defense, I wouldn't trust him in midfield, nor would I trust Hibbo being slotted in front of the back four.

Saha and Beckford, especially if you want the best out of Becks; he cannot play up top on his own, and I suspect that's why Moyes may have brought him in, so we can get back to the 4-4-2 which has worked wonders before... who the heck knows???

Andrew Laird ? Spot on, mate. To some, Moyes can never do any wrong... perhaps they only see the result, instead of going the game, maybe watch some highlights of matches. Thats how I suspect they draw their conclusions the man is almost if not faultless. It is churlish, and it doesn't help that the press buff his ass up week after week either.

Using excuses like he has no money, who could do better? He will get us out of this and whatnot... Money maybe a factor, but it has bugger all to do with this shocking tactics of defend at all costs, and if you can grab a goal, go ahead philosophy.

Indeed he has too many faults for my liking, and I fear we may never win a thing under him. His abilities, or lack thereof, smacked him hard in the face this season. You can't just wing and a prayer it, like he has been doing since he has arrived; it will catch up with you, like this year. It genuinely scares the crap out of me that we are indeed going backwards, or dare I say going full circle?

Scary stuff ahead.
Gerry Quinn
21   Posted 08/03/2011 at 11:48:11

Russell Buckley #1 ? is that the same seat that Ken sits in to report his match from? You're not related are you?
Alex Buckley
22   Posted 08/03/2011 at 11:30:24

He'll no doubt stick with that team. But Heitinga's ball retention was terrible in midfield & we only had so many chances because we were playing on the counter attack.

Brum will sit back and flood the midfield & we've struggled to break these teams down all season.
Max Main
23   Posted 08/03/2011 at 11:52:23

No, no, no, no, no. It's not 1998.

3-5-2 was tried and it doesn't work. And it is not any more attacking than 4-4-2 or 4-5-1. Three centre backs doesn't work. Centre backs don't know how to play as part of a line of three. Nobody knows who to pick up and it's a shambles.

You also leave the defence short on the wings as the full backs don't exactly know what their job is, or they just play as regular full backs and suddenly you've got a back five. Not very attacking. And you lose the overlap effect as there's no one to overlap.

3-5-2 sort of seems more attacking on paper but all it really does is add an unnecessary centre back and demand the full backs/wing-backs/wingers to do the work of the positions that have been lost.

I agree that it would be nice for Moyes to mix it up a bit and try new things, but not 3-5-2. It would never happen and there are perfectly good reasons for that.

James Stewart
24   Posted 08/03/2011 at 12:13:23

Would be interesting but won't happen. Moyes was happy with Hibbert's awkward at best performance so he will continue at RB if Captain Ineffective is still out.

I'm sorry but I just don't rate any of our defenders apart from Baines who is a class apart. They are all muppets who make mistakes all too often and can't mark for shit. Distribution is also terrible from the lot of them.

Our strikers have got a lot of stick this season but people seem to overlook the fact we leak goals all over the place.
Daniel A Johnson
25   Posted 08/03/2011 at 12:45:23

"It's time to got for it"

Er... sorry, Alex Buckley:

Our manger is called DAVID MOYES.

The END
Shaun Brennan
26   Posted 08/03/2011 at 13:05:01

Attack attack attack!
Tom Astley
27   Posted 08/03/2011 at 13:16:21

Kenrick #2.

If this post had broken the teamsheet rules, why did you let it get published?

So you could come on and slag him off on here and make yourself look funny?

Michael Kenrick
28   Posted 08/03/2011 at 13:24:46

That must have been it, Tom. I shoulda just binned it. Thanks for pointing this out.
Tom Astley
29   Posted 08/03/2011 at 13:27:36

Cheers Mike!!

On another note, I agree with the essence of this post, but I feel we should make sure we just beat Birmingham first by any means.

That should mean we shouldn't be dragged back into a relegation battle, and then we can afford to experiment with new tactics, maybe even bed some younger players in (Duffy, Gueye to name but two).

Or we can carry on playing 4-4-2/4-5-1.
Tony J Williams
30   Posted 08/03/2011 at 13:29:37

Attack, attack, attack with the brand new formation of a team of 4 defenders.. ermmm... four midfielders... ermmmmm 2 attackers..... hang on, that looks familiar! Hmmmmmm....
Alex Buckley
31   Posted 08/03/2011 at 13:35:55

Just for the record, I am a season ticket holder & stream most away games for my sins.

Don?t get me wrong, I totally understand the frustration at the constant negative tactics, baffling team selections/substitutions & allowing 4 strikers to leave on loan (& Vic not being one of them) with no-one coming in.

But we all knew we needed to add some real cutting edge in the summer, Moyes made the mistake of not driving the Hot Dog Van down the M6 & Biting West Ham's hands off (likely the board wouldn?t allow the release of any funds raised), it didn?t happen & we started the season playing attractive football without getting any results.

Recently we are getting results against teams who come out & attack us but we go to pieces when we need to break teams down.

Until the board stop being greedy bastards and sell the club to decent investors, Moyes should acknowledge his weakness tactically and look to replace Round (who?s never convinced me) with a better offensive coach (someone like Ray Wilkins).

I know! I know! More chance of us playing 3-5-2...
Mark Murphy
32   Posted 08/03/2011 at 13:49:47

My recollection of the World Cup Final is of Heitnga playing virtually at right back as the Dutch right back pushed up the pitch. I remember thinking it looked so easy for him in that position I could have played there so can see him slotting right in.

All he did when he got the ball was pass it on to his nearest midfielder in space. He wasn't expected to do anything adventurous with it and, given his wayward passing on Saturday, I'd like to see him used like that. If I thought he was interested in staying at Everton, I would even suggest right back is his future position for us!

Harvey Miller
33   Posted 08/03/2011 at 14:54:46

Alex, this is exactly the lineup I would like to see!
Yeah I know it will never happen but It would certainly be more fun to watch than the lets-play-it-safe-approach.
Sam Hoare
34   Posted 08/03/2011 at 20:04:01

Weren't Osman and Arteta the stand out players this weekend whilst playing on the wing? Do we really want to mess that up?

Give it a go in the second half if they're parking the bus but I say start the same team again. Saha and Beckford look good together for me.
Jay Harris
35   Posted 08/03/2011 at 13:42:13

Sorry, Alex, but 3 at the back against 1 Birmingham attacker (if we're lucky) just doesnt do it for me.

We're up against one of the lowest scoring opponents who shut up shop from the first minute.

I say get Seamus in at RB with Jags, Distin and Bainesy completing the back 4 and then a MF 4+1 of Osman, Rodwell, Arteta, Gueye (if he can be found) and Cahill with Beckford up front and Saha for Cahill or Beckford with 30 minutes to go.
Paul Henshaw
36   Posted 08/03/2011 at 21:25:21

IMO.....bollocks! It may look good on paper or for those of you that play FM but 3-5-2 just doesn't work I'm afraid. 3 centre-halves vs 1 striker? Waste of a centre-half!!!

Isn't it better to have 2 full-backs bombing on past the wide men in front of them? Otherwise the 2 wing-backs are your only width on the pitch. Look at Chelsea when they play narrow in the middle of the park, they've only got Boswingwa and Cole getting wide.

I remember a quote from DM last season saying that 4-4-2 is dead in the water but when we've played it this season, I may be wrong, but I think we've won every game!!! 4-4-2 is the new 4-5-1!!!

My choice would be:?
Howard
Hibbert Jagielka Distin Baines
Coleman Osman Rodwell Arteta
Beckford Saha.

Tom Bowers
37   Posted 08/03/2011 at 21:41:25

Coleman will replace Neville with Rodwell playing deeper unless Hietinga is preferred as a straight swap with Mustard still left on the bench. However, as we have won two in a row and in a reasonably safe position, could he not give a chance to some newbies, ie, Duffy and Gueye? (If he is still with the club?) Probably not.

Osman at last had a half-decent game on Saturday so he will play ahead of Bily. My only concern is that, when Osman tracks back to help Hibbert, they are both small and Brum may try to exploit that with balls to the far post (not forgetting that Jags isn't that tall either). It was something that could have been a problem early on against the Barcodes. Hopefully we can make it three in a row?

Alex Buckley
38   Posted 08/03/2011 at 22:33:09

After absorbing all your comments, playing 3 at the back may very well be a step too far. Even though the team is set up to revert to 4-4-2 with ease, by dropping Baines to left back and shifting the defence to the right.

My concern is in the centre of the park when coming up against a team who?ll play 5 in midfield, Heigtinga was so bad when he came on against Newcastle yet seems to be our only option. Osman/Rodwell partnership seems too lightweight, Arteta is best left on the wing leaving us short options. Let?s just hope Heigtinga has a personality transplant and plays with the passion the shirt deserves.

If we don?t get an early goal to draw them on to us I fear another frustrating night at GP.

PS: Cahill's injured, Jay.