Another victim of Gosling's?

Just a note to highlight the disregard some modern day footballers have. We read in the news that Plymouth are close to disappearing, running out of time and cash. Maybe this would of been slightly different if Gosling would've done the right thing, and got a fee ? not just for us but for the club that developed him also.

Another sign of the power these players have. I am not saying he would of saved them, but surely they would've been a million or so better off if he would've signed a contract before we sold him, and they had a sell-on clause...
Steve Foster, Leeds     Posted 08/03/2011 at 12:21:49

Comments

Chris Lawlor
1   Posted 08/03/2011 at 13:32:50

Fair point, Steve, but Plymouth Argyle's financial situation seems to be very much self-inflicted and it's a bit harsh to lay into ex-players when their former club is struggling.

It was Everton's usual disjointed in-house management that left the door open for Gosling's agent to exploit. It was a shocking decision for the lad as he's sat on the bench most of this season whilst his agent no doubt walked away with a few quid in his backburner.
Tony J Williams
2   Posted 08/03/2011 at 13:39:14

Who?
Michael Kenrick
3   Posted 08/03/2011 at 14:35:49

Gosling "sat on the bench" ??? Errr... not in the normal sense, being the subs bench, Chris. I think the lad has only been on the bench for one game...

Probably sat in the treatment room for the rest of it. It really makes me wonder if Everton had a poor prognosis for the lad's injury, and knew that the chance of him coming back this season was slim at best.

You gotta love a good conspiracy theory!
Chris Lawlor
4   Posted 08/03/2011 at 15:24:39

Hmm... seems you're right Michael... a quick look at his stats shows only one appearance off the bench this season and that was at 87 mins vs Sunderland.

You could be right about Everton offloading him after his injury though... that's £8k a week saved there, phew!
Richard Dodd
5   Posted 08/03/2011 at 18:41:46

Had Gosling remained with us ? and fit ? I suspect Coleman would never have got a look-in this season. Nothing lost, I`ve always thought (except his wages!).
Alex Kociuba
6   Posted 08/03/2011 at 22:04:40

I thought he went because Everton fucked up and didn't offer a proper contract in the conventional way. Something about a gentleman's agreement if I remember. It is Everton who are to blame.

We lost out on millions of pounds, £8k a week saved is nothing. His transfer money could've meant two or three loan players' wages paid for.
Alex Kociuba
7   Posted 08/03/2011 at 22:09:39

"Nothing lost" except the transfer money Newcastle said they were willing to pay.
James Hollister
8   Posted 08/03/2011 at 22:35:45

Alex Kociuba ? He was never worth millions of pounds at all. He was mediocre at best.

Comparing him to Coleman, there is no competition, because Coleman has the ability to improve his game, like Rodwell.

In all, I think loosing Gosling was a good thing, the injury notwithstanding. I honestly cringed when I saw him in the team ahead of a better player.

Sure, he nabbed some nice goals, but it doesn't make up for his all-round average or below-average performances when Moyes would start him.

I distinctly remember his passing being worse than Hibbo's on most occasions ? and that's saying something.

So no, I don't think we lost millions... but we did save on his wages and gave the slot to Seamus ? a much better player.

As for Plymouth going into admin and they could be wound up, I'm not sure where you're getting this strange idea that, if we had sold him to Newcastle, it would have given them a million or two. Last time I heard, I am sure it was like £20-odd million in debt, so it wouldn't have made an iota of a difference.

I sincerely hope they don't get wound up; no team deserves that crap, unless it's the Shite.... haha!
Jack Henderson
9   Posted 08/03/2011 at 22:47:05

When I think of Gosling I never think of his goals against Man U and the dark side in the cup. I don't even think of the way him and his agent engineered his way out of the club (not that I'm trying to absolve our own club of any blame ? the whole incident made us seem amatuer).

For me, he will always be remembered for that one-on-one against Bolton (3-2) last season where he somehow managed to lose a 20-yard headstart when through on goal, neglecting to pass to the man in space before scuffing his shot.

Zero pace, zero composure, zero vision... and a quite horrendous end product. Possibly the worst passage of play I have witnessed in a blue shirt, it should have been his last game for the club anyway. £20,000 pounds a week after a lengthy layoff from serious injury? No thanks.

Mark Rankin
10   Posted 08/03/2011 at 23:07:25

I was mildly peeved when he left but, as time goes on, the less and less costly an administration error it seems to be. When people refer to the £8,000 a week, it was my impression that, if he had stayed by accepting the new contract on the table, it would have been on more money... £15,000 a week?

Eight months on that type of money ~ £500,000 ? add in all the other sundry expenses of keeping a player: medical bills, massages, shit loads of pasta and ultimately it is Newcastle who look like the mugs at present (although I did say to my mate once, on a night out, that he'd be the next Frank Lampard).

As far as Plymouth are concerned, I don't care.

Andy Crooks
11   Posted 09/03/2011 at 00:23:03

Words I never thought I would say: Richard Dodd, spot on.
Alex Kociuba
12   Posted 09/03/2011 at 02:34:04

I don't rate nor have I have ever rated Gosling, the fact of the matter is Newcastle were, widely reported in the press (Google search), willing to pay £3.5-4m.

We lost that money through mismanagement.
Andrew Lawrenson
13   Posted 09/03/2011 at 03:29:04

He was a waste of skin... he even made big Vic look good. I was made up he went.
John Barnes
14   Posted 09/03/2011 at 05:03:10

It should always be the case when one player moves on, retires, or is out injured for a long time, that the door opens for someone else. Coleman probably in Gosling's case. And Baxter in getting on the pitch for a few minutes. None of them world beaters but things move on, and is the team worse off, or depleted?

And over on the other wing, is Arteta now suddenly worth the money everyone was crying about? Pienaar left and so someone else had to be used in 'his' position. Maybe that will work out for the best because Pienaar hardly ever produced the end product, whereas from 'his' position, in just a few games, Bily set up Saha's first v Blackpool, and Arteta Beckford's second v Sunderland and a Saha sitter at the Barcodes.

There will always be exceptional players whose departure would adversely affect teams but I'm thinking of an Alan Ball in Everton's case and none mentioned above are in the same league.

Ray Roche
15   Posted 09/03/2011 at 08:04:58

Arteta also set up Osman's goal at Newcastle, as well as recovering the sort of form that had him as the "best little Spaniard we know". However, since Pienaar went, Baines has looked half the player he was, seldom getting to the bye-line with the normal frequency. Maybe that will change if Arteta carries on with his recent form.
Guy Wilkinson
16   Posted 09/03/2011 at 08:35:07

Arteta doesn't track back as effectively or vigorously as Pienaar did.

It limits how adventurous your LB can be. Also Baines hasn't had any rest this season.
Milos Milenkovic
17   Posted 09/03/2011 at 10:29:05

Ray, Baines played superbly every single game after Pienaar's departure. Maybe he is not going forward that frequently, but still great on the ball, excellent defensively and probably most creative player in the team.
Richard Parker
18   Posted 09/03/2011 at 11:05:46

Gosling was pish. He was worth putting up with for the sake of that goal.... other than that, he looked out of place in the Prem.
Jimmy Hacking
19   Posted 09/03/2011 at 11:38:08

I don't believe Plymouth have the right to be too aggrieved. The dangers with a "sell-on" fee when a smallish club sells a promising young player are rather obvious: That player could stay at the big club for the rest of his career, or move on for free.

If Plymouth weren't happy with the £2 million we gave them, they should have hung onto him or demanded more. If they were unable to do so because of parlous finances, then they are a badly run club with only themselves to blame.

It's a similar story when you get a team like Leyton Orient, relying on a glorious cup run to break even every season. What the FOOOOK? And people say that Premier League clubs are badly run...
John Barnes
20   Posted 09/03/2011 at 11:58:29

Ray, Guy,
I wish Pienaar had stayed too but I was underlining the point that he wasn't that great and life goes on. In terms of end result, I believe weve scored more directly from the left wing since Pienaar left. Even Anichebe was laying them on from there on Saturday. The common denominator here is Baines. He's made them all look good.
David Israel
21   Posted 09/03/2011 at 18:58:39

John Barnes, #20,

Contrary to popular legend after your stints at Celtic and Tranmere Rovers, you do know your footbal!;-)