Rewarding underperformance

Silly me... with so many playing problems to sort out, I was thinking the break would allow extra time for much needed intensive work at Finch Farm. Instead of a much-deserved a kick up the arse, the players are treated to an all-expenses-paid holiday in New York!

Has the world gone completely mad?
Dick Fearon, West Australia     Posted 12/03/2011 at 23:16:28

Comments

Mick MacManus
1   Posted 13/03/2011 at 01:09:12

If all the training in the world isn't working at Finch Farm try something different I suppose! A change of scene / routine. Not that I begrudge it at all, but I was wondering how much the total cost of the trip could be?
Alex Kociuba
2   Posted 13/03/2011 at 02:18:48

The cost would be probably the equivalent of half a day's wages! So not much / a lot.
Steve Leary
3   Posted 13/03/2011 at 06:16:14

Maybe he will try 4-3-3 in New York!!
Garry Martin
4   Posted 13/03/2011 at 08:04:59

Don't worry, the peolple in charge know what they're doing... how many new season tickets has that just cost US??? Brewery & piss-up come to mind.!!!
Andy Callan
5   Posted 13/03/2011 at 08:14:36

Some team bonding might do them all good.....

It'll not cost them a thing; it's costing us.

Lets face it, it'll be fuck all on the grand scale of things.
Ryan Holroyd
6   Posted 13/03/2011 at 09:12:22

Andy

It'll not cost them a thing; it's costing us.

Did you put a contribution into their New York fund? I must of missed the collection boxes on Wednesday.
Eugene Ruane
7   Posted 13/03/2011 at 08:30:41

'Bonding'?

'BONDING'!?

What is this, some MTV 'reality' show about a Beverly Hills cheerleading team?

And can someone explain SPECIFICALLY how this bonding works, how it affects performance?

Ossie: "I didn't really get on with Bily that much before the NY trip but we had a laugh there and so now we pass to each other, plus somehow my touch and vision are much better"

FFS!

New York should be a reward!

We haven't got a pot to piss in, we're performing like shite and they're going to fucking New York?

Plus it's not like we're buying players every ten minutes and they need to get to know each other, I mean if ANY team should be 'bonded' it should be us.

But you know what, I'll accept that I'm an 'arl arse' and out of touch etc and that bonding IS important ACTUALLY.

Fine, do what Howie did, take 'em for a Chinese and a bit of Karaoke.
Gavin Ramejkis
8   Posted 13/03/2011 at 09:27:40

Ryan, that'll be the pot of cash the club has from season ticket sales, cup ticket sales, merchandise sales and match day refreshment sales, yeah that'll also be the pot that not one fucking penny was added to by the chairmen or his lickspittles.
Brian Waring
9   Posted 13/03/2011 at 09:39:20

This type of thing gets on my fucking tits. Bonding? FFS, the players already see each other every day of the week.

What Moyes should be saying is, "Right, you shower of twats, you've been woeful this season, so whilst we have a free weekend, we're going to be doing loads of extra training."

All this, "the players are tired" shite, "a break will do them the world of good" is a joke. They should come and work with me on the flat roofing in the height of summer, stripping a huge roof off, then they would probalby appreciate how lucky they are.
Eugene Ruane
10   Posted 13/03/2011 at 09:57:07

Moyes out. (Waring in!)
James I'Anson
11   Posted 13/03/2011 at 09:56:09

Why can't they pay for it themselves? If their work was so important to them then I'm sure that they would be prepared to invest in their own future and wellbeing. If ''BONDING' is part of that then fine.
Eamonn Turner
12   Posted 13/03/2011 at 10:13:02

Eugene, Micheal, Lyndon or anyone, could you please give me the gist of the Chinese restaurant story or a decent link. I missed out on it back then and have tried to Google it many times without success. I?m under the impression there was a bit of ?getting things out in the open??
Eugene Ruane
13   Posted 13/03/2011 at 10:28:18

Eamonn - From memory (and my memory is woeful these days)

I think we only really heard about it after results had started picking up or maybe after the cup win of 84.

Also I think they had more than one of these Chinese/Karaoke bonding evenings.

We probably only got to hear about it as it made for a good story and I'm sure had results continued to go badly, we'd have never heard anything.

Anyway (as I say, from memory) it seems things came to 'a head' and they were all taken to a Chinese and got pissed and 'bonded' (ie: told each other they were useless, lazy etc)

During one bonding session, I seem to remember hearing something about Sheedy getting a smack (Snods?).

Anyway SOMETHING worked and I DO know it was a fucking hell of a lot more sensible (and cheaper!) than sticking them all on a knackering flight to NY.
John Audsley
14   Posted 13/03/2011 at 10:35:34

Eamonn

HK used to often go out with the players to a Chinese, mainly if I remember when a player had stepped out of line (he paid) or to BOND. Colin Harvey carried this traditon on in 1990 we where bottom of the league so Colin Harvey took them out and Keown and Sheedy got in a scrap.

If memory serves, Sheedy told Keown "You can't fuckin play" so Martin knocked him out.

Much merriment was made of this and a few weeks later poor Colin was fired after yet more poor performances.

Think I remember right BUT it was 1990!!!!!
Ray Said
15   Posted 13/03/2011 at 10:37:20

The players should be funding trips to New York for the fans who have to watch their crap performances.

What happened to doing your job well in exchange for the money you are paid?

If I perform badly, I am not expecting an arm around the shoulder and a voice whispering "Don't you worry, Ray, let's get away for a few days and do a bit of shopping. Where do you fancy ? Milan or New York?'

I expect a stern voice saying "Ray, your performances have dipped and if things don't pick up (like by the next week) then I think you should be looking to move on to a business who will be happy with your low level of performance ? but that is not here."

Kunal Desai
16   Posted 13/03/2011 at 10:42:51

Moyes's reason for this visit will probably be something along the lines of:?

"Landon agreed to take some time out and meet us here, we all realise how much we miss him, especially this season, so it was nice to see him. He's trained with us and the players really do miss him, so perhaps we can now kick on for the remainder of the season and finish high up as possible and do it for Landon."
Eamonn Turner
17   Posted 13/03/2011 at 10:51:49

Thanks lads, that's pretty much what I put together from snippets I heard.

Perhaps Moyes should have taken them to London for a night out in The West End instead of New York? Culminating in getting VIP seats to Blue Bill's latest production? This may even have surpassed the Chinese.
Eugene Ruane
18   Posted 13/03/2011 at 11:12:32

Sorry Eamonn, seems I was 6 years out.

Like I said, a memory like a....um.....one of those things for straining stuff.
Chris Bannantyne
19   Posted 13/03/2011 at 11:18:48

Kenwright and his cronies should come out to Australia for a bonding session with my fists.
Ron Broadstairs
20   Posted 13/03/2011 at 11:26:10

Season's been over for months ? who cares?

Just waiting for the summer so Moyes can move on and we can start again, can't come quick enough.
James Newcombe
21   Posted 13/03/2011 at 11:32:32

These things have usually seen a subsequent improvement in our form, so I don't see the problem...
Eugene Ruane
22   Posted 13/03/2011 at 11:36:47

Chris Bannantyne, it's people like you being to soft on them that, in my opinion, is part of the problem.

Fists indeed!

What's wrong with a good old fashioned team-building kicking?
Ben Jones
23   Posted 13/03/2011 at 12:20:17

At least Moyes isnt taking them to a Boyzone concert.
Gerry Quinn
24   Posted 13/03/2011 at 14:07:55

Maybe they will take a Broadway Show or two in! From the list currently playing, can I suggest.....

"How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying", or "Death Takes a Holiday" for summing up our season

Graham Duffy
25   Posted 13/03/2011 at 14:05:32

Bonding in New York? What a joke! We're all footing the bill for this. They have been shit all season. I'm not renewing my season ticket next season. It's become a chore ? not something I look forward to or enjoy.
Gerry Quinn
26   Posted 13/03/2011 at 14:08:35

More shows for the players to watch whilst slouching in the Big Apple.

For season performances: "Anything Goes"; "Wonderland!"; "Wicked".

For the away fans: "The Fantasticks".

For TW forum: "Unchain my Heart".

Adam Bennett
27   Posted 13/03/2011 at 14:21:00

I can imagine the team talk before the Reading game:

Moyes, "Come on lads. We?ve just knocked out the holders on their own patch, now we?re at home to a Championship club with the winner being one game from Wembley. We have got one hell of a chance of winning something here, now don?t throw it away. Go out there and give it your all."

Player X: "Yeah, but don?t try too hard, hey lads, because, if we get beat, we can all go for a piss-up in New York on Quarter Final weekend!"
Chris Bannantyne
28   Posted 13/03/2011 at 14:37:04

Eugene Ruane, you're right mate. A kicking is what's needed!
Martin Handley
29   Posted 13/03/2011 at 18:00:02

Well, I can arrange a good old kicking for them on County Rd!

Seriously though, Moyes could've arranged a friendly against a local non-league team instead.

Antony Matthews
30   Posted 13/03/2011 at 18:07:27

Whats in store for the team if they get relegated?

A) A trip to Disneyland in Florida so that they can listen to "it's a small world";
B) A cruise aboard the good ship Everton, even though it had just been torpedoed;
or C) A day at the races ? which is where they haven't been all year !
Trevor Lynes
31   Posted 13/03/2011 at 18:24:13

I've been saying since the start of the season that the pre-season long distance jollies are no good and not worth the money. Now they get another long distance jolly... they should go to learn how to pass and control the ball properly (Blackpool, perhaps on the beach).
Dennis Stevens
32   Posted 13/03/2011 at 19:19:38

Undoubtedly this will be a smart move, funded via some commericial deal & enhancing the club's profile across the pond. You've got to hand it to the guys running our club ? they don't miss any opportunity! I dare say it'll provide the boost we need to carry the team forward into th CL qualifying positions by the end of the season. Not getting to Wembey may well prove to have been a narrow escape that saved our season!
Mark Wayman
33   Posted 13/03/2011 at 20:52:25

Haven't the squad already had two of these team bonding trips this year? One in Scotland and one in the Lake District.
Nathan Ward
34   Posted 13/03/2011 at 21:05:36

Seems we have some very small-minded people here.

Only last week there were people saying they were training far too hard and that's why Arteta, Fellaini (add any other player of your liking) got injured.

So the club try something different, for me I don't care where or what they do ? if it improves morale and subsequently performances and then results then great.

However, if they come back hung over and things get worse......
Jamie Crowley
35   Posted 14/03/2011 at 03:46:12

I just wrote a very windy post which didn't, thankfully, end up here... I'll surmize succinctly:

Why not take that money spent and send it to the families in Japan?

Bonding? Bond together and help those poor people. Maybe by doing so you'll feel better about yourself and the positive vibe will translate on the pitch?

Even if it didn't, it'd be a better way to spend your millions currently.

Yes Dick, the world is mad. Completely mad.

If you think that's a stretch then please support the Waring Roofing Team Building Project. At least that would get some of these players out of their dream-world.

Out of touch is all that comes to mind.
Andrew Laird
36   Posted 14/03/2011 at 08:41:54

I am fine with this, as long as it's a one-way ticket for some of them.
Erik Dols
37   Posted 14/03/2011 at 12:50:44

I think they did it last year and we had a decent run-in after that so I don't mind actually. It makes you wonder why they didn't do it earlier this season though.
Phil Bellis
38   Posted 14/03/2011 at 13:04:07

Erik, I thought they'd been jollying most of the season - match-days, I think they're called
Jamie Sweet
39   Posted 15/03/2011 at 02:24:59

How about we dock them all a week's wages for being shite? Tough love is the way to go. Fuck all this nicey nicey team building crap! Let it be known that piss poor under-achievement will not be rewarded at this club. If results don't improve then keep docking their wages, and eventually we will be able to buy decent replacements with the money saved.

And if the players don't like it, they can fuck off.