Members:   Log In Sign Up

Protest at Saturday's game

After all the talk surrounding the Board, Kenwright, Moyes, Rodwell, I was wondering whether anybody is going to protest or vent their anger at the game on Saturday? I feel it's a great opportunity to do so as it's a televised game and it would be well publicised.

For me, it's time to take a stand, we need a protest march or an in-game protest where we just chant what we feel throughout the 90 mins. Something has to be done and quick ? this can't go on with the summer fast approaching.

It worked for Liverpool ? they got what they wanted; now we must make a stand. It's not an ideal way but is there another option?

KENWRIGHT OUT!! COYB

Stephen Leary, Antrim     Posted 16/03/2011 at 18:36:29

Comments

Andy Crooks
1   Posted 16/03/2011 at 19:46:51

Stephen, I believe that somewhere on this thread someone will demolish your post with the cutting analysis "be careful what you wish for".
Dave Wilson
2   Posted 16/03/2011 at 19:48:03

Will you be there, Stephen?
Dan Brierley
3   Posted 16/03/2011 at 19:38:39

Yep, that will do it. And once Kenwright is gone, all the billionaires will be queuing up to buy us. Right?

Wrong. There has not been a SINGLE confirmed genuine interest from someone willing to invest the right level of funds to take the club forward. The fundamental flaw with the 'Kenwright out' argument, is that you need somebody else to take over. Who is Kenwright meant to sell his shares to exactly? I'll support any movement that means someone else will come in and move us on. Just give me a name?
Ryan Holroyd
4   Posted 16/03/2011 at 19:50:00

I've got a question for everyone.

Why does Kenwright believe he is the right man for the job?

Was he not on the board during the PJ reign? What did he do about that the period in our history?

But he won't. He rather see us relegated than sell his shares. I firmly believe that.
Gavin Ramejkis
5   Posted 16/03/2011 at 19:57:57

I can't believe Dave Thomas hasn't been on this thread but then again Dave Wilson has asked his trademark question.

Dan, so you'd rather sit back and watch Kenshite destroy the club? I'd have anyone over him in a heartbeat as he and his board haven't invested a single penny beyond their shares in the club for 11 years and counting.
Howard Don
6   Posted 16/03/2011 at 20:03:20

Yeh that'll do it, nothing like a good morale raising protest by people who have all the criticisms and none of the answers.

"Kenwright Out" seems to be the limit of your strategic thinking Stephen, any idea what happens after that then?

David O'Keefe
7   Posted 16/03/2011 at 20:00:53

Dan, the club has not been up for sale, so your demand of who is he going to sell to? is moot. Then again there was the northwest tonight report about a buyer going all the way to a due diligence stage. So who knows?

If we have to wait for someone to come forward before we act it will be too late. Bill wants a donation, not a sale. Doing nothing is no longer an option for many blues, having said that your more than entitled to twiddle your thumbs while the club burns.

Joe McMahon
8   Posted 16/03/2011 at 20:14:18

Andy Crooks ? I couldn't agree more, how many times have we heard that phrase!

On this generously over used phrase, did we really wish for what we have now pre-Kenwright days?
Jeff Armstrong
9   Posted 16/03/2011 at 20:23:14

Dave Wilson
10   Posted 16/03/2011 at 20:16:03

Not so, Gavin.

No doubt if David Thomas logs on, he will ask his usual "What did you have in mind" question, but mine's more basic than his ? I want to know if the guy calling for action will be taking any himself?

When I get back from the match, I usually have a look on here to see what others have made of it. I`m always surprised to find people calling for action have spent the game posting on here.

I`m not against protest but I find it carries a little more weight if the people calling for it actually plan to take part.
Sean McCarthy
11   Posted 16/03/2011 at 20:27:23

"If he was such a big Evertonian then he would sell his shares for what he paid for them."

But he won't. ......... And ultimately why should he??

Dan Brierley
12   Posted 16/03/2011 at 20:21:59

David, Gavin, I am on your side! I'd also have someone else in, that can do better than Kenwright!! Now who is it? I'll tattoo his fucking name on my forehead, and climb to the roof of the top balc if there is someone out there!!

The idea that 'we are not for sale so nobody can buy us' is a complete myth!!!! A hostile takeover just happened over the park! Has Kenwright also got Keith Harris on the payroll 'pretending' to try and sell the club to hide his secret desire which is to really destroy Everton? Where is the logic? Honestly guys, some of these views seem delusional.
David O'Keefe
13   Posted 16/03/2011 at 20:33:41

Dan: You're not making sense.

A hostile takeover did not take place other the park. The club was effectively bankrupt and the banks came into find a buyer.

The club was stated as not being for sale in the kirkby documents. So Dan your opinion vs the kirkby document regarding if the club is for sale. I think I'll go for the documents.

For the record Dan nobody has suggested that Bill has a desire to destroy the club, thats just your fevered imagination. I'm sure he had good intentions until 2007 at least.
Gavin Ramejkis
14   Posted 16/03/2011 at 20:34:17

Dan, the hostile takeover across the park was enforced by a bank about to foreclose on Waldorf and Stadtler's debts.

A few folk since have asked why, if the Everton board have failed so abysmally to find a buyer (well 11 years for investment for little or no return isn't the answer) then put an interim board in place with the sole purpose of finding a buyer.

It's got beyond a joke that clubs with less to offer have been bought and sold over the last 11 years with not a single bite at Goodison. I personally have had enough of BK's lies and smokescreens to deny there haven't been buyers as the club simply hasn't been for sale.

John Audsley
15   Posted 16/03/2011 at 20:50:54

Calling Richard Dodd, with more Pro-Bill garbage and slagging off everyone else's arguments!

If you do comment, Richard, please leave reasons etc as to why you say what you say.

Protest?? No, we are all too nice to do that. Wait until the summer sales begin and we sign no one. The, only then will anger and rage start to swell

This will be the worst summer in our history, I think we all can sense it.
Stephen Leary
16   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:02:35

Dave, I will be there, yes; I am a season ticket holder from Northern Ireland.

Howard, the option is force Kenwright to stand down, demand a Broughton type figure to take temporary charge while a takeover takes place. Its absolute garbage that nobody has been interested in us, Kenwright wants some magical man to come in while keeping him as chairman, and clearing our debts, purchasing a stadium and giving transfer funds.

Kenwright is the one that needs to realise that he has to let go, a complete takeover is needed, we need somebody with a plan and a business strategy.

I asked was there another option? Like I said, a protest isn't ideal but what else can we do? Something has to be done.

Mike Green
17   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:11:38

John - you're right about this summer.

It's going to be like sitting in a hospital bed watching your leg fester and slowly but surely rot away.

By August we'll be screaming "Just cut the fucker off!!!!! CUT THE FUCKER OFF!!!!"
Jimmy Saville
18   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:20:06

How about people protest by not taking their seat till 15minutes into the game!? It would give a massive sign that the fans are not happy. It would make a massive taking point for the pundits. It would also give the fans a chance to support their team.

Anyone up for that?
Mick MacManus
19   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:11:25

It's time for those that are calling for protests to take the lead themselves, organise it themselves and not wait for others to lead them. So put your money where your mouth is and take the initiative why don't you if you feel that's the right course of action?
Dave Vickers
20   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:02:24

Stephen, it's good to see that someone has the cojones to put a post like yours on ToffeeWeb.

I know that WE are some of the most passionate fans in the world and we love the club more than anything, but there does seem such apathy at the moment. I've just got in from a curry in Spain and expected to see a few hundred replies to your post saying "Come on, enough is enough " we cannot take any more of this shite".

I now only get to a handful of games each season, but the love and passion is still there... The whole structure of the club is stale and shite.

I know it's easy to type an email from 1,200 miles away, but I still can't believe there is not an organised group of fellow blues willing to stand up and show their discontent with the current board/management. I will be at Goodison at least twice between now and the end of the season but not this Saturday.

We need a miracle and to put BK under pressure, maybe Lord Granchester, Tesco Tel, Andy Gray, Big Dunc, other rich blues and 500,000 regular fans could actually get together and save this GREAT CLUB from the disaster it is rapidly heading towards. Do the Earls and Greens of this world give a toss about our club? Obviously not. Come on Blue Boys, make me a proud Evertonian again.

21   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:24:40

Ryan (#4), you probably don't want to read these answers to your questions but I'll have a stab since no-one else has bitten:

Why does Kenwright believe he is the right man for the job?

It's not so much "the right man for the job" ? he was in the right place (on the Everton Board) at the right time (when Peter Johnson had had enough). And no-one else... that's right NO-ONE ELSE was interested. He beat Johnson down from £140M to a finally agreed valuation of only £30M but that took nearly a year... in which time, no-one else came in with a competing bid. Doesn't make him the man for the job... heck, it's not even a job: he's a Figurehead. They are down to perhaps one board meeting a year!!!

He was on the Board. "Waht did he do?" He no doubt voted at Board meetings and other stuff. What do Board Members do? Decide not to by Dion Dublin? Who knows which way he voted...

And who's telling us this? Is this straight from the "Ryan Holdroyd School of How Not Invest Your Millions"??? Any Evertonian playing this silly card needs to stand up and withdraw from the table immediately, it's just plain stupid.

But he won't. He'd rather see us relegated than sell his shares. I firmly believe that.

You may well believe that but, in common with all such irrational beliefs, you really have no logical basis on which to make such a claim. He needs an acceptable buyer who is prepared to pay his asking price, relegated or not. (Although relegated would I think make Everton shares a lot harder to sell.)
Mike Hayes
22   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:39:47

Having been to a few home matches (due to work commitments) I can't honestly see any fans chanting for 90 minutes about the board, they can't fuckin chant for 90 seconds to get the team going!
Andy Codling
23   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:45:25

Mike Hayes, when you watch the same shite boring horseshit EVERY week, it's quite hard to get motivated, especially when you are paying for it, so don't dare have a go at fans because they can't be arsed singing when they watch the dross on offer.
Stephen Leary
24   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:56:42

Dave Vickers and Jimmy Saville ? I couldn't agree more; to Jimmy I think that's a good idea, we need to do something.
Trevor Mackie
25   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:20:22

It's like the price of fuel ? people are pre-occupied with losing their jobs rather than manning the barricades at Esso or marching on Downing Street. Long term it's bollocks because prices go up and people stop buying and we end up in deeper shit.

Everton fans are cacking it in the same way ? the fear of relegation or doing a Leeds has pervaded every trembling pro-Moyes and pro-Kenwright piece in the past and look at the shit we're in now.

Like the RS, it's too late, their protest had no impact at all and became a farce, the net result is they've settled in the second division financially compared to others.

Gavin Ramejkis
26   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:58:02

Andy, I'll chip in with that response and add those fans myself included who've paid a fucking large wedge for my Park End season ticket for years to see nothing back from the club. Where's the squad depth, how many players have we let go just to get the annual return in, January loans?

When you shell out hard earned and travel to the game not knowing if it'll be Jekyll or Hyde this week but knowing it'll definitely be the same faces and no chance of any new ones, then it does kind of create a mausoleum. Entertain me and I'll help raise the rafters of the old girl; take the fucking piss and I'll think as I have on too many occasions this season ? why fucking bother???

27   Posted 16/03/2011 at 22:28:45

Is the Club for sale or not? We have some fans saying is is... some fans saying it isn't.

I thought Bill told ESCLA fans that it was (didn't he?), but famously became rather bored when asked the price. Yet the Kirkby documents suggest it's not for sale, because the (then) current Directors had no wish to dilute their stakes in the company.

There has to be a sensible explanation that accounts for the language of the Kirkby documents, in their proper context. I should really research this first but was that not asked and answered in relation to the £78M Everton needed to move Destination Kirkby forward?

The existing directors had no interest in diluting their shareholding, such as with a rights issue that would require them to put up additional money in order to preserve their stake. But I have to believe they would always be up for considering a full purchase of their shares... at the right price.
Steve Harris
28   Posted 16/03/2011 at 22:10:37

I'm all for it, it's time to stir from our apathetic slumber. Enough is enough and I'm totally convinced if too many of us believe the negative nonsense in # 3 and 6 then we're in for some very bleak years. The grass is sometimes greener. 'KENWRIGHT out'! All together now...
Joe Brennan
29   Posted 16/03/2011 at 23:50:40

Rather than taking seats 15 minutes after kick-off, which might affect the players' concentration and enthusiasm, why not stand up and start to leave 15 minutes before the end of the game, especially if the result is decided?
Richard Dodd
30   Posted 16/03/2011 at 23:43:46

Right, that`s it then, let`s make a protest! About what, exactly?

Oh, being ninth in the Prem ? disgraceful for a club like Everton ? we have a God given right to be top four for all time!

GET BLOODY REAL WILL YOUS!
Support the Club and stop trying to run it ? that`s Blue Bill`s job and he hasn`t done too bad up to now!

David O'Keefe
31   Posted 17/03/2011 at 00:15:48

Richard: Everyone supports the club, but does that mean we have to support Bill and the board?
Stephen Leary
32   Posted 17/03/2011 at 00:28:16

Richard Dodd, you clearly know nothing then about Everton, if you're happy with the way things are now, then I seriously don't know. The way you talk, it's as if we have never won anything and should be happy with mid-table and no trophies!
Matt Traynor
33   Posted 17/03/2011 at 00:45:58

Sean (#11) ? "Would you sell your house for what you paid for it, say, 11 years ago? I know I wouldn't. "

Given the increase in debt on the club since the takeover, why exactly should they be worth so much more?
Sean McCarthy
34   Posted 17/03/2011 at 01:03:05

Who knows their value? But my guess is BK would want to make a profit on his initial investment. I know I would. It's called business whether you like it or not. And sometimes it can leave a bitter taste.

My own wish? That's for the luvvie to be bought out but just can't see it happening soon. As for protest, I don't think the majority of fans have the stomach for it after so many let downs.
Chris Bannantyne
35   Posted 17/03/2011 at 05:20:58

Fuck it. If I were over there I would be protesting.

Sure, the whole argument over "who would take over after you get rid of Kenwright" is valid, but it doesn't really matter all that much in order for a protest to work.

The protest just puts pressure on the board. If they are big enough, organised enough, and frequent enough, then undoubtedly the board will want to shut you up.

As far as I can see, the only way the board could silence a loud group of protesters is to at least SHOW them, or give some evidence of what they are doing to try and move the club forward/facilitate a sale.

Kenwright just claiming that they have been working round the clock is not evidence. It's just a claim, and probably a false one.

On the other hand, if the board choose to ignore protests and hope they just go away, then the media will start to take notice when the protests don't stop and hopefully that will put some pressure on the board too.

Maybe some folks are right, maybe the idea of a protest is stupid unless you can name potential buyers and what not, but I don't think so. I hope it would pressure the board into doing what they've been lying about for years, and look for a buyer themselves. At least a bit of transparency would appease the fans somewhat.

And at the end of the day, to my way of thinking, protesting is better than doing nothing.
Jimmy Saville
36   Posted 17/03/2011 at 07:11:39

It's clear to see that we are unable to organise anything between our selves. All we can do is bicker between our selves, without coming up with any good forms of protest! Bet Blue Bill is quaking in his blue boots.

Right, any ideas to protest that are easy to follow out at the weekends game?

I suggest not getting to your seat 15 minutes into the game. We still get to support the team, our main priority. Whilst protesting against Blue Bill. It would make a massive statement in front of the cameras with an empty stadium for 15 minutes.
Keith Skidmore
37   Posted 17/03/2011 at 07:23:20

The only people showing the colour of their money each season are us, the paying fans. I'm seriously considering putting the same into our club as the board next season... Fuck all...!!!

I won't be letting them con me in to buying an early-bird season ticket, to then see more "saleable assets" sold... I've had enough.

I'll not be taking my seat for the first 15 minutes, I'll grab an extra pint.

Richard Dodd
38   Posted 17/03/2011 at 09:46:05

I`d have more repect for this line of thought if there was a queue of would-be buyers waiting in the wings. There is absolutely no evidence that such a queue exists ? or ever has done. Being very practical, would YOU or anyone else buy Everton`s debts for the £10 mil Bill is believed to have payed all those years ago? Just remember, no-one but Bill came in when PJ was hounded out and the same situation will apply if Kenwright calls it a day!

Protest at your peril!

Peter Laing
39   Posted 17/03/2011 at 09:48:13

Am I correct in thinking, if my memory serves me right, that both Elstone and Kenwright issued statements following the government inquiry that ruled out destination Kirkby that they would be seeking to heal some of the divisions that had bitterely divided the Everton fanbase?

We have an impotent board with no clear strategy or direction, something that David Moyes most recent comments would clearly allude to. Robert Earl has a significant stake in the Club but, with destination Kirkby now a dead duck, what exactly are his intentions?

To my mind, the only collective vocal dissent to Kenwright in recent years was that organised by KEIOC, Colin Fitzpatrick continues to astutely and articulately ask the questions of Kenwright and Co and his postings to this site I find are always on the money.

There seems to be a sense of impending doom around the Club and a malaise within the rank and file of supporters who quite frankly, after so many years of neglect, evidently don't have the stomach for the fight.

Andy Walker
40   Posted 17/03/2011 at 09:54:49

I have two points to make.

Firstly I have made my protest, I have not (for the first time in 25 years) renewed my season ticket and will not until we are given the truth about the club I have loved since the 1960s. Easy decision? Not a chance and it hurts like Hell but I feel it is the only way to make myself heard.

The main problem is ? what happens if I find I can live without my weekly fix of all things Royal Blue and decide not to come back? An impossible and painful thought at the moment but still a possibility, and I won't be the only one.

Secondly, If BK is a supporter and not in it for profit, then he WOULD sell it for what he paid (allowing for inflation). Only if he sees it as a money-making exercise does he want to make a profit. Remember this from a few years ago about a real supporter of his club?

"Wolverhampton Wanderers sells for £10
Sir Jack Hayward has agreed to sell Wolves to a British businessman for a tenner; in exchange for a £30 million club investment."

If BK was as honourable as this man, I would gladly sit in a re-named Kenwright Stand in memory of a man who did the right thing for his club, not just another money-grabber. Over to you, Bill...

Dave Wilson
41   Posted 17/03/2011 at 10:08:45

Fair play to you, Stephen, and good luck.
Gareth Humphreys
42   Posted 17/03/2011 at 12:00:22

One point ? what's all this "it worked for Liverpool" shite? It was the RBS that forced out H&G ? not the protesters. To be fair to them though at least they made their feelings known.
Kunal Desai
43   Posted 17/03/2011 at 12:22:23

Was Keith Harris really brought in by BK to sell the club? I can't remember him on television or the radio stating he's trying to sell the club and I don't include in that meaningless sound bites expressed in the Echo.

I've not see Harris on television or other forms of the media publically pushing a sale for Everton. I do wonder if this was another one of BK's stunts, paying Harris a tidy sum for him to spill some jargon to the local media.

Not heard anything since. Does anyone know anything further?

Adam Bennett
44   Posted 17/03/2011 at 12:55:32

It feels like everyone is running in circles.

A Kenwright out post ? then a comment of ?what happens then? ? followed by a comment of bringing in a Martin Broughton type figure/interim board ? followed by a comment of ?there?s no billionaires out there? ? followed by a comment of what happened over the park and protesting etc etc

Next week;

A Kenwright out post ? then a comment of what happens then ? followed by a comment of bringing in a Martin Broughton type figure/interim board - followed by a comment of ?there?s no billionaires out there? ? followed by a comment of what happened over the park and protesting etc etc

Etc etc fucking etc.

Same posts, same comments, same counter comments.

I?m getting fucking sick of this.

Either those who want Kenwright and the board gone actually sing, chant, hang flags around Goodison and let the board know first hand about the ill feeling towards them, or everyone stops writing on Toffeeweb about their dislike of how the club is being run and do something else with our spare time. Lets face it, do you think Kenwright will read some of the articles on here and think ?ooo think its time I should leave?. Fucking no chance.

If we want our board gone, then lets actually do something constructive, starting with screaming blue murder towards the middle of the Main Stand on Saturday.

If no-one?s prepared to do this, then I suggest putting away our laptops and start getting on with our own lives.
David Thomas
45   Posted 17/03/2011 at 13:09:53

Adam,

Excellent post. Hit the nail on the head.
Richard Dodd
46   Posted 17/03/2011 at 13:25:07

I repeat my question. Who the hell would want to pay £10 million to buy a £40million DEBT? Names and phone numbers in an e-mail to BK without delay, please. He`ll probably bite your hand off!
47   Posted 17/03/2011 at 14:25:51

"After all the talk surrounding the Board, Kenwright, Moyes, Rodwell, I was wondering whether anybody is going to protest or vent their anger at the game on Saturday?"

What exactly is your postulated protest about ... possible sale of Rodwell? Moyes Out? Kenwright Out?
48   Posted 17/03/2011 at 14:43:26

Incidentally, if people are going to be chanting some shit mantra for the full 90 minutes, please let me know so I can stay clear. Shit like that annoys the crap out of me.
Stephen Kenny
49   Posted 17/03/2011 at 14:46:07

I'll be protesting all next season, by not renewing my ticket. Those who feel equally strongly about the current regime are letting down the institution by not doing the same!!
50   Posted 17/03/2011 at 15:24:06

Richard, what were those stories we heard recently about there being three parties interested in buying Everton?

Since you asked the question, a reply would be appreciated.
51   Posted 17/03/2011 at 15:51:18

You answer your own question Michael ... stories!
Norman Merrill
52   Posted 17/03/2011 at 15:18:50

Being a season ticket holder since year dot, I have a feeling that the new season ticket sales may show a start to some sort of protest. That's if some of the comments on here are anything to go by... but only time will tell.

Besides, the financial situation of many supporters, will be one major factor for poor sales; the other will be down to disillusioned fans, who are sick of the way the club is being run.

Gavin Ramejkis
53   Posted 17/03/2011 at 16:02:42

Mark, those would be the same stories the club tried to have silenced from being released? You don't sit in the Upper Gwladys next to Doubting do you by any chance?

David Thomas, the stewards are instructed to remove any anti BK or anti board banners at home games and have been for a number of seasons, I know as I had the pleasure of being told to do so at the end of season before Desperation Kirkby was called in, to be fair to the stewards they looked humiliated to ask it and didn't push it so the banner stayed in place for Moyes and the team to see on their lap around the pitch.
54   Posted 17/03/2011 at 16:32:34

I don't know anything about the club trying to prevent reports of a takeover being released. Could you direct me?
55   Posted 17/03/2011 at 16:34:29

So what are you saying, Mark? That there have been no buyers interested in Everton?
56   Posted 17/03/2011 at 16:35:29

Have there?
57   Posted 17/03/2011 at 16:39:44

That's what Keith Harris and Bill Kenwright have been quoted as saying...

Are they lying?
58   Posted 17/03/2011 at 16:41:25

What have they been quoted as saying? What were the reasons for the deals not going through?
59   Posted 17/03/2011 at 16:45:40

They have been quoted as saying that buyers have been interested in Everton ? did you not read the stories?

How could the deals fall through if there were no interested buyers?
60   Posted 17/03/2011 at 16:47:31

I honestly can't find a single quote of Kenwright anywhere saying that there are parties interested in buying Everton. I may be looking in the wrong place? Can anyone signpost me?
61   Posted 17/03/2011 at 16:49:12

Mark... Google "Kenwright Everton Buyers"

Press Enter

Click on the first story.

Read it.
Dan Brierley
62   Posted 17/03/2011 at 16:29:39

Gents, let me make it a bit more simple. You do not have to make a statement on whether or not anything in this world is for sale. My car is not up for sale, but it cannot stop someone offering me money for it. Not being for sale, does not equal cannot be bought.

In buying a football club, you do your homework on the club itself. If I was a genuine buyer, I would leak my bid to the press, knowing just how the fans and the media would ensure that my bid would be successful. With a solid bid in place, and the world knowing it, how could the board refuse? Takeovers are not veiled in secrecy. They happen everyday all around the world, and are very public affairs.

Regarding the Kirkby comments, my take is this. People throw around the statement that was made 'The club is not for sale', without understanding the context in which it was made. Why was it part of the Kirkby call in documentation? The Government certainly weren't interested in buying the club!! I believe the club were clearly asked 'Is the proposed move to Kirkby linked with a potential sale of the club'. Which for example could mean 'Are you selling the club to Tesco's after we sign off the project, who will then not fulfill the stadium element but continue with their shopping facility.' The question was asked, to ensure that the sale of the club was not the motive behind the stadium construction. Everton clearly answered no, which was indeed true.

Ryan Holroyd
63   Posted 17/03/2011 at 16:46:11

Michael

My point was Jack Haywood, Sir Jack Walker (the trustees of his estate at least) didn't ask for 120 Million pound (the fee quoted by Keith Harris on Terrace Talk a few months ago) to sell their club.

IF Kenwright paid £10 miilion for his shares (IF) then he could do the honourable thing and accept a lesser amount than what has been quoted by Keith Harris.
64   Posted 17/03/2011 at 16:54:26

'We are talking to three parties at the moment but we had talks with people last year and when it came down to it they didn?t have the money'

To be fair I hadn't read this before. If I had I would have taken no notice as the whole story is a) in the Daily Mail and b) based on one sentence.

Hardly a damning conviction or clarity from Kenwright or Harris that there are three parties each of whom is willing to: 'pay £10 million to buy a £40million DEBT'

I actually paid more attention to the storties eminating from that David Bick; in your own review of which you (or your colleagues) state:

"Everton have refused so far to comment on the story which calls into question the Board's claim that there have been no serious offers for the club."
65   Posted 17/03/2011 at 17:34:04

So where does that leave us, Mark?

The Daily Mail, a national newspaper, cannot be considered a reliable source for this story? Okay, what sources will you accept?

One sentence, in quotes, from the Chairman of Everton FC is not enough for you. How many sentences do you need? How many quotes?

Richard asked who would pay £10M for a £40M debt ? which is not really the transaction being considered. It is much more complex (asset valuation, future earnings, player and stadium investment). Richard and his silly soundbytes don't help the discussion at all.

But the point is, as far as any of us can possibly know, there have been (and there may still be) real buyers interested in buying Everton Football Club. They haven't succeeded, obviously, and the deals may have broken down for any number of reasons.

My personal belief is the Bill Kenwright is asking too much. Keith Harris quoted £180M recently; that may well be too high for the buyers in question. We really don't know.

But I hope most Everton watchers would agree that there do appear to have been interested buyers? Or am I wrong?
66   Posted 17/03/2011 at 17:45:52

For Ryan, I understand the point, and many Evertonians may agree with you. Bill paid £8M for his shares, roughly a quarter of the club. If the sale price is now £180M, he's looking for around £40M. Inflation would probably get him to £20M.

The problem is the investor holds most of the power. If he perceives his stake is worth £40M, then like all sellers, he either holds out till he gets that price... or he drops his price if the need to sell becomes more urgent.

Protests may play a part in that process; Evertonians like to believe they did in ousting Peter Johnson. However, I think that took over a year to happen; PJ was keen to sell, and BK (the only player at the table), had the time to drive a hard bargain. And the price dropped from (if I recall) £140M to £30M.

So maybe there is hope... but I'm not holding my breath.
Paul Gladwell
67   Posted 17/03/2011 at 18:56:13

I think you can safely say a fans protest is currently taking place ? how many fans are not renewing season tickets with their early bird stunt?

And how many will decide to buy one in the summer months on the back of utter depressing shite spewing out of the club? I will, but you can bet that them figures will be the worst figures in a decade or more... and rightly so.

Day-in & day-out the shit flows, today they have threatened NSNO with solicitors over printing 'EFC' on t-shirts, what utter tossers.

Mick Gallagher
68   Posted 17/03/2011 at 20:47:58

I won't be buying my two season tickets till as late as possible, if I buy them at all. Might fuck it off and pay on the day and go on holiday.
Richard Dodd
69   Posted 17/03/2011 at 21:30:49

I can`t answer you, Michael, because I am not party to the innermost workings of BK`s business. I am sure there have been enquiries and, whatever the price, once the Club`s finances are examined, buying debt and the need for a new stadium results in interest rapidly declining. We thus have to accept that under the current ownership the debt can be managed adequately. BK may not be everybody`s cup of tea but he has not only kept Everton afloat but, through his faith in DM, has maintained our top division status. He needs our support not all the scorn heaped upon him on this site!
Chad Schofield
70   Posted 17/03/2011 at 22:37:36

Going back to something I wrote at the end of September on here, with Akpan being loaned out reducing our squad further, I'd say we're pretty much at track 8 - "Traded in My Cigarettes".

Happy days.
71   Posted 18/03/2011 at 06:39:30

To be fair, Hope Akpan is nowhere near getting a game for Everton. He's probably out on loan for experience. A good move.
72   Posted 18/03/2011 at 06:40:32

My point, Michael, is that:

Does not equal confirmed reports of serious, interested buyers.

I agree with what you wrote a mere two weeks ago:

"the Board's claim that there have been no serious offers for the club."

Don't know what changed your mind ... other than this fitting your agenda a bit better, now.
Andy Callan
73   Posted 18/03/2011 at 07:21:04

Let me put it this way:

If you've got a car that no one wants to buy, coz it's a total fuckin' rust-bucket ? IT'S WORTH FUCK ALL.

If you've got a house that is on the market and no-one comes to view / put an offer in, coz it's overpriced and fallin' down ? IT'S WORTH FUCK ALL.

If BK goes (coz we 'all want him out') and no-one buys the club, then what the fuck would we do.....?!

We'd be worse-off than we are now FFS......
Gavin Ramejkis
74   Posted 18/03/2011 at 09:13:02

Andy, how exactly would we be worse off than we are now? Let's just look at that statement, a Chairman who in 11 years of ownership hasn't spent a penny of his own money on anything at the club beyond shares, he hasn't bought a player, hasn't spent a penny of his own money on ground redevelopment highly likely he's never bought a single ticket or even refreshment in 11 years, you could even say his "purchase" of the shares originally was down to a long term friend's wife lending him the money and debated debt thus transferred onto the club itself.

An opportunity for him to lose control of the club led to utterly disgraceful media destruction of his former friend and original route for him to be able to buy the club tied to the ridiculous FSF fairy tale. Some point about then Earl was found with the backdoor funding from Green to buy out Gregg, again not a penny into the club itself. Cue BK pissing away millions of the club's money on Desperation Kirkby a seriously flawed and doomed to failure project at the behest of Tesco and KMBC and "the silent man" Earl. DK fails as it was always going to and Earl disappears, having appeared at GP less than Gregg did but I honestly can't remember Trinity Press running any similar stories about him not turning up, can you?

Roll up to present day and 11 years later, not a penny spent by BK or any of his board and major shareholders beyond shares for their own benefit from future sale, at least 14 mortgages on GP, Bellefield sold and monies pissed away on loans, only remaining assets are the players and to the smallest squad in the EPL players farmed out to get the books in, a first team player sold and supporters insulted with not a single penny invested back into loans.

So Andy, we'd be worse off how exactly? What does and ever has BK brought to the party that Everton would miss?
Ged Rickett
75   Posted 18/03/2011 at 09:25:35

Mark #56

Yes, there have apparently ? although the exact amount of "interested parties" according to Harris and Kenwright differ.

You see, last year, there was an article in the London Evening standard, by Mihir Bose if I recall correctly, quoting Harris as saying there were TWO "interested parties" (both British ? although what relevance that bears is anybody's guess). Harris stated that, when they were asked to come across with proof of having the funding to complete a takeover, they vanished without trace!?

That was a Monday night edition, if I remember correctly.

Now, the following Wednesday (again, I can't be certain of the exact day ? but I know for a fact that it was two days later), Kenwright was quoted in the Echo as saying he'd spoken to no less than FOUR people/parties, all of whom had committed the same vanishing act as Harris stated two days previously.

So, either one or the other can't count. Or people have contacted Kenwright directly.

Which begs the question of the usefulness of Harris, if these people are able to do so.

So,Mark. You now have the Daily Mail, the London Evening Standard, and the Echo quoting both Harris and Kenwright as saying that there have been interested parties, yet neither seem to corroborate the other's version of how many, although both use the same (default) version.

Given that Kenwright said four, and Harris two ? Who's "agenda" is Michael (and myself) following?
76   Posted 18/03/2011 at 12:45:06

I don't see the point of this post, Ged ... none of these are confirmed reports or even suggestions of serious interested buyers/investors. To the contrary they are all reports of chancers who have blagged in interest but in reality have no money. That is quite the opposite of 'serious interested buyers'.
Tom Hughes
77   Posted 18/03/2011 at 12:44:52

Gavin #74,
Great post, can't wait for the response!!!!
James Mooney
78   Posted 18/03/2011 at 13:36:19

What a pointless and stupid post!!

We are not Geordies and certainly not kopites, we don't protest ? we support!

I'm 24 so all I know is Peter Johnson and Bill Kenwright... and yes, Bill needs to sell but billionaires become billionaires through business acumen! We need a new ground, a new staff and let's be honest a couple of better fans! I was at Wimbledon, I was at Coventry, I was at Wembley and I was in the Gwaldys when Duncan scored against United. I know which I preferred. Take the rough with the smooth.
79   Posted 18/03/2011 at 13:53:11

Mark, I presume you are referring to this item:
Three potential bids for Everton FC have been rejected in the past year according to a report on BBC North West this evening, two from the USA, including one investment consortium who owns a major sporting franchise, and one from Asia.

Negotiations with one of the potential investors, said to have "very deep pockets", went to an advanced stage before being abruptly halted for reasons that are not known. There has apparently not been much interest since the inquiry from the US in April last year, though.

Everton have refused so far to comment on the story which calls into question the Board's claim that there have been no serious offers for the club. David Bick, a financial investment broker, claims to have been approached by a number of consortia looking to initiate takeover talks with Everton.
That appeared in our Rumour Mill at the beginning of the month. It says the same thing ? that there are stories of parties who are interested in buying Everton.

Yet people still come on this website and say either no-one is interested in buying Everton, or Everton are not for sale. These stories indicate that both those statements are not true.

The only agenda involved here is trying to point Evertonians in the direction of what is true or real, away from the fantasy, deception and lies.
David Thomas
80   Posted 18/03/2011 at 14:41:20

Michael,

So, in your opinion are Everton up for sale or not?
81   Posted 18/03/2011 at 14:53:07

"That appeared in our Rumour Mill at the beginning of the month. It says the same thing ? that there are stories of parties who are interested in buying Everton"

My point exactly. Stories from some chancer. Quite far divorced from confirmed reports from the club about serious, interested buyers.

If I wanted to buy Everton, had the money available and Kenwright was having none of it, I would be straight on the blower to every media outlet I could find. I'm sure we'd have have had confirmed reports from the actual source never mind the club. If those stories from David Bick have any substance (and if they did I'm pretty sure it would have been more widely reported than it was) then hopefully this nameless Yank with deep pockets can back up his interest by getting on to the national press or sky sports and spilling the beans - after all maybe he is opne of the only people to know that Kenwright is lying first hand. Until he does ... I'm not buying it.
Gavin Ramejkis
82   Posted 18/03/2011 at 16:24:13

David #80, I think we'd all love a definitive yes or no on that question, BK and Elstone have used the "investment" phrase recently and these discussions that foundered may have done so due to that; maybe the discussions turned from sale to investment or maybe the sale had criteria attached to it such as BK remaining on the board, or even DM staying as manager but I find it more likely that a discussion involving BK would be centred on him rather than anyone else.

All speculation... but, with the club neutering any form of reporting and a deadly silence after 11 years of failed chairmanship, what are fans and supporters supposed to do but speculate based on BK's previous form and modus operandi?

Gavin Ramejkis
83   Posted 18/03/2011 at 17:51:30

Mark, I'd love some further details to come out given the gagging orders imposed on the media now by the club, given their penchant for an expensive lawyer contacting NSNO banning them selling T Shirts with EFC on them despite that sale being a massive 3 t-shirts in 12 months!!!

If the following 2 accounts are incorrect then KEIOC will be getting a letter from the North East legal eagles too. Read both articles and make of them what you will regarding BK and what's going on behind the scenes with Green, Earl and the club being for sale or not:

84   Posted 18/03/2011 at 20:24:57

David Thomas, it sounds to me like the club is for sale, based on these stories. But they haven't found the right buyer yet, obviously!

As to the reasons why they haven't... the explanation given is that they disappear when asked to show the money. Putting a slightly different spin on that, they probably fade away when the price they are quoted is considered to be too high.

What do you think?
85   Posted 18/03/2011 at 20:30:11

Mark, I think we seem to be stuck on semantics over potential buyers versus serious buyers. Your point seems to be that all these buyers are not serious, and therefore don't count... and that there are therefore no buyers. I'm not sure how you can make that call.

Read again what Keith Harris described. Are you telling me he would waste his time and effort with someone who was not serious? They may well be very serious buyers who are simply but off when they get to hear the price. Or by some other demands being made that the purchasers are not prepared to meet.

Unfortunately, your hypothetical scenario ignores the massive barriers of "commercial sensitivity" and "non-disclosure" agreements, which typically bind all parties to silence in these circumstances. Again, the lack of parties blabbing to the press does not mean they don't exist ? far from it.
86   Posted 18/03/2011 at 21:13:09

This from the BBC (4 March):

What did he say?... "very serious investor with deep pockets" ? but you say he's lying?

Mark, You rather cynically introduced the question of 'agenda' into this discussion. Can you explain what the agenda item is that has you denying this stuff. Coz I just I don't get it.
Jim Lloyd
87   Posted 18/03/2011 at 21:07:10

Gavin, excellent post!

"I'm almost dead certain that the club will be sold" quote from Keith Haris just after the debacle of the Reading game. Amazing how these stories surface just after a shite awful exit from the FA Cup, then disappear again. If some people want to believe that, being a blue, Kenwright has the best interests of the club at heart, then that's their right.

Personally, I've had it with him, well to be honest, ever since the King's Dock episode, where to me, he just showed how selfish he was. He didn't give a Tinker's Toss about the club then, nor did he when that "Fortress Sports Fund" were to be our saviours. What was the cry isued by Samuelson? "The money's in the bank". what a load of bollocks.

I will make my protest this season, I will not be renewing my season ticket.

It's sad to say it but I can't see our club being anything other than a, if we're lucky, middle of the table, also ran club. And Kenwright will sit in his theatre of dreams and tell us about "our great history" again!

Karl Masters
88   Posted 18/03/2011 at 23:21:12

My own personal view is that there MUST have been interest in taking Everton over. Whatever state the Club is in, it's no worse than many other clubs like Portsmouth, West Ham, Birmingham or Blackburn who have all seen plenty of takeover action.

BUT, what I think has stopped it going any further and these people suddenly 'vanishing' is two things.

1. Bill Kenwright strikes me as the sort of person that would want somebody to pump in tens of millions (unlike himself) but not have absolute control. He would still want to be the figurehead which he has been all the time he's been using Gregg, Green, Earl, whoever to prop him up over the last 11 years. I guess he thinks he's got this far on that tactic so why not? But without a sideline project like Kirkby or the Kings Dock to encourage them, no sane investor will ever buy that one.

2/ The price is too high. Effectively, for what any new owner needs to spend on the stadium and players, the cub is almost worthless... ie, even if it's worth say £100m, you'd be looking at more than that on a new stadium plus say £30m on players this Summer to get us right back up there. If you sold it for £20m there would be takers, but of course somebody might do a Gaydamak (as at Pompey) and just milk the club having bought it for a pittance, so he has to try and tie in conditions and that's where we come back to him wanting to stay on and the potential buyer walking away.

Tricky situation, but I do think he has to bite the bullet, sell cheaply and let us worry about whether the new owners invest or not.

(As a sidenote, our Red friends' new owners have not actually coughed up much yet as the Torres money has covered buying Andy and Lou. I will be interested to see how much of their own cash actually comes in...)
Andy Callan
89   Posted 21/03/2011 at 12:38:28

Sell the ground to Netto - matter closed.