Everton Epiphany

I've been reading this excellent site for many a year and the difference in our opinions to me, is healthy and breeds debate

I've got to say, is there any club on earth with fans as separate on a massive issue that we are staring down the gun at? Alan Stubbs, Round, Moyes + his false eye bulging stare... And Bill, oh you get the picture,

I don't think I am an Everton supporter anymore... Fan? Er no, if that means getting behind them now...

I hope we stay up by the skin of our teeth and that the national press pick up on these imposters, all of them, players too (maybe Baines apart).

I won't be there Saturday, TV? No; radio ? can't be arsed. I love this great club that's ours, not Moyes and the circus or the players ? they will all be history; nothing more...

And god save us, the name 'Everton' will be my love, our love...

Marshy get a grip of them, lad. I for one seen this years ago. Tony Marsh and Laudrup, save our souls.

Everton FC... I love you, but we can't go on like this, I'm sorry!

Tony Cawson, Liverpool     Posted 16/03/2011 at 20:53:03

Comments

Michael Kenrick
1   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:45:14

Uh oh... another case for the ToffeeWeb Sammaritans!!!

Or we really must implement this rule against posting when bombed!
Brian Denton
2   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:56:15

And spelling Samaritans wrong !
Robert Moore
3   Posted 16/03/2011 at 21:58:19

Really hard being an Evertionian this season, so many ups and then crash back down to earth again. Serious changes have to happen this summer, but the sad thing about it is, nothing will happen this summer. I predict we will get relegated in the next two years unless change happens now. COYB
Tony McNulty
4   Posted 16/03/2011 at 22:02:52

Time to go for a couple of pints with your mates.

ps: If you really no longer cared, you wouldn't write.
Michael Kenrick
5   Posted 16/03/2011 at 22:33:41

Ooops. Thanks, Brian. An Editor who can't spell...
Karl Masters
6   Posted 16/03/2011 at 22:42:50

Depressing reading this.

We've not had a good season and yet, being only 5 points off 6th (and yes, I know 5 points above West Ham!), there is still much to play for this season.

So, whilst I respect everyone's views, I'd rather wait until the end of the season befoe I judge Moyes.

As for the Board, there have to be changes, but all Clubs are posting big losses at present (Fulham lost £17M last season despite their best ever season as just a recent example) and the bubble is getting to bursting point.

Going off at a tangent, look at Borussia Dortmund in Germany. In 2005 ,they had debts of £105M and were nearly evicted from their stadium due to reckless financial mismanagement. Yet today, they sit clear at the top of the Bundesliga and debt free. All done by getting shot of all the high earners and bringing in a coach who could get the best out of young players and cheap buys.

We already have a coach who is good at that so maybe, just maybe, we should lose some overpaid dead wood and bring in some young hungry players from the lower leagues, à la Cahill? Just a thought......

David Thomas
7   Posted 16/03/2011 at 22:59:07

Tony,

You love the club yet you can't even be arsed to listen to the game on the radio, let alone watch it on TV or, heaven forbid, actually go to the match?

With this in mind, I would agree with you that you are not an Everton supporter.

Karl Masters
8   Posted 16/03/2011 at 23:19:44

F requent
I dealistic
C omplaining
K ills
L ove of
E verton

See what I did there? Probably light a blue touchpaper, but hey it's midweek and we need something to lift the gloom! :)
David Edwards
9   Posted 16/03/2011 at 23:43:01

It's been a lousy season, Tony, but don't give up now. Fight the 'status quo' and question Blue Bill's tenure, and decide if Moyes is compliant, or merely has been led up the garden path like us all.

It was after an early 80s Manure exit in the cup, courtesy of a goal from substitute Lou Macari ? and a broken wardrobe door I kicked in while listening to the game on Radio 2 ? that I realised that a better life balance was needed and not to invest all my time and hope in EFC was wise...

But you can never shun them like you are implying! Things can only get better, Tony! Surely....?!?!?!? Everton till we die... yes?

Karl Masters
10   Posted 17/03/2011 at 00:11:52

David #9

Your epiphany was caused by Frank Stapleton, not Lou Macari (he provided the assist though) in th 5th minute of injury time of the FA Cup Quarter final in 1983, and 17,000 Evertonians went home from Old Trafford shattered.

3 days later, we played Southampton in, to some, a meaningless League game where only 15,000 turned up at Goodison to witness a 2-0 win.

We finished seventh that season after a late run of form, but it was a Summer of no net spending (we sold McMahon and Ross and bought Steven and Harper) and yet we were only a few months away from the glory of 83-84 etc. Parallels with today in some ways.

So, you never know in football. Often, the darkest hour is before the dawn!
David Edwards
11   Posted 17/03/2011 at 00:38:29

Thanks, Karl, for correcting me ? I knew Lou played some part in that dreadful day!!! Yet, quite rightly, you note how our lowest period was followed by our greatest one a year or so later ? as my presence at the Watford final and that most wonderful season that followed confirmed.

I'm not sure if our club will be able to turn it around again like that (remember Heath's famous goal!) but maybe we can all still dream and give Tony some hope! Cheers!

Adam Fenlon
12   Posted 17/03/2011 at 01:08:00

Welcome to football, Tony.

Did no-one tell you that unless you're a glory hunter, sometimes your team will be shithouse?
Tony Cawson
13   Posted 17/03/2011 at 01:17:59

Apologies everyone! just re- read my first ever post on here, and it smells a lot of 'woe is me'. Remind you of anyone! I was on County Road today, must be in the air. Oh and i've had a season ticket for 20 years, heart is in right place,apologies again. Roll on er summer, er next season. Seriously, no offence meant!! Am i forgiven!
James Flynn
14   Posted 17/03/2011 at 01:49:21

Tony Cawson - I was about to post. I thought I smelled of lot of alcohol. Not trying to bust you, but your post had that feel. If you are a first-timer, let me add that I've read a post or 2 where I thought I smelled the same thing.

Nothing unusual. Welcome to the group.
Kieran Carr
15   Posted 17/03/2011 at 02:20:33

What a load of rambling crap! Oh sorry, I can't think of any thing better to say!
Duncan McDine
16   Posted 17/03/2011 at 09:15:55

Load of bull shit.... you will of course listen to it at the very least. And so will I... and it'll probably put me in a shit mood for the next week. But that's the reality of being a Blue ? especially this year.

It's the lack of hope that's got to me this season ? even the idea of Europa (being just a few points away) seems too much for our knackered squad to chase down.
Andrew Fair
17   Posted 17/03/2011 at 09:37:13

That's the joy of being an Evertonian. I've had 26 years of life, all of them an Evertonian ? I can remember about 20, the majority of which being depressing and rubbish but not a dull moment, for better or for worse, and we will never give up on our team! Even if a few pints make you want to give up on them, it seems a quick reflection in the morning and you have the Everton bug back.

On a side note, I feel we may be in for a busy summer ? worryingly not in a positive way. The futures of Rodwell and Moyes are uncertain and without both next season may get quite hairy.
Eugene Ruane
18   Posted 17/03/2011 at 08:10:58

Maybe TW should provide a dedicated section for 'rambling crap' sent while under the influence.

Sure some of it might be incoherent, but we DO tend to be more honest when we've had a few.

I mean we've all been at some family do and heard..

(slurs) "You're a cunt Mavis, always fuggin' 'ave been, always fuggin' will be".

"How DARE you!.. NO 12 year old should talk to me like that..." etc.

It could be very interesting, I mean imagine checking into TW on a Sunday morning and seeing..

"Bill Kenwright? BILL FUCKIN' KENWRIGHT!!!? I'VE FUCKIN' SHAT EM'!! I'VE TRIED AND FUCKIN' TRIED TO SUPPORT THE MAN, BUT HE'S SHAT ON ME DREAMS ONCE TOO OFTEN. FUCK 'IM, THE LODGING HOUSE CAT-HEADED CUNT" - Richard Dodd.

Mick Wrende
19   Posted 17/03/2011 at 16:20:48

Our beloved club is crap at present and, like many others, I feel precious little incentive to go and watch because we know what we will watch will be the same crap as the last time. That doesn't mean to say I will give up my season ticket but we need to get rid of a lot of the shite we have on the pitch, in the management team, and on the board.

We are treated like crap by the club, told so many lies and generally ignored by the club who have no interest in the fans. Yes, we all will continue supporting the club but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot better things to do on a Saturday evening than go and watch that load of shite.

Tony Sullivan
20   Posted 17/03/2011 at 18:12:36

I have been on this roundabout since September 1952, Everton 5 - Doncaster Rovers 0, Tommy Eglinton scored all five. I think this season has been one of the most trying, but like most of us I keep hanging on, trying to be optimistic.
Gerry Quinn
21   Posted 17/03/2011 at 18:57:42

Evertonians are born, not manufactured
We do not choose; we are chosen
Those who run our club need no explanation
As they believe WE do NOT matter
David Hallwood
22   Posted 17/03/2011 at 20:11:06

To a certain extent I agree with Tony, bacause I just want the season to end, I've never felt this apathetic about the team, I I've seen some dark days but I've always kept the faith. I was there with Karl#10 (well in the same ground) for the Southampton game, and I remember a game v coventry when I think 12,000 turned up to watch a 0-0 draw on a freezing night(my memory's probably playing tricks but I'm sure it was on New Years Eve-anyone confirm this?). As Karl stated it was the darkest hour, but this time 'round,I just cannot see things improving.

Neil Humphreys
23   Posted 17/03/2011 at 22:08:33

Gerry - quality - I'll have that on a T-shirt,

William, I dont think that anyone is complaining about being skint - its more the patchwork quilt of lies, bullshit, deceit and general lack of respect towards the fans that people are taking issue with.

I sympathise with the sentiment of the people above. Fundamentally, this situation is getting worse daily because of a failure to communicate. For Gods sake, which club bans its local paper and mouthpiece to the fans? Its an age old problem, "bunker down lads, this will blow over" - maybe 20 years ago without the internet this might have worked. The continued silence intespersed with poorly chosen soundbites doesn't wash. I think we've seen through the current management. Honestly, I dont think I'd believe Bill if he said black was black - too many lies, too much deceit, too many false promises. I'm voting with my feet - no more visits to the game or the store until there is serious change.
Andy Callan
24   Posted 18/03/2011 at 07:18:02

I fully understand with what you say, but no matter what always end up goin' back.

It's like a really fit ex-bird, who happens to have a fantastic arse, swallows & who wants casual sex every-now-and-again..... You just can't resist somehow.
James I'Anson
25   Posted 18/03/2011 at 07:51:23

Andy, where do you get your ex-s?
John Audsley
26   Posted 18/03/2011 at 08:09:56

Andy C

I met a girl yesterday for lunch who I'd not seen for 20 years.

Will let you know how I get on...
Andrew Fair
27   Posted 18/03/2011 at 16:55:22

Bit of positive news: Jags signing for four years! Good lad, Jags!
Karl Masters
28   Posted 18/03/2011 at 18:47:58

John # 26

After 20 years mate, she's probably got a widened arse, only swallows sanatogen and likes a casual bit of Loose Women.

You must be able to resist!!! :)

Only joking mate, let's hope she's aged well. Good luck.
John Audsley
29   Posted 18/03/2011 at 21:13:03

Jeez, Karl, you where obviously in the boozer 'n all.

Ho Hum........
Andy Callan
30   Posted 21/03/2011 at 12:36:57

C'mon then, John ? how'd you get on.....?!?!?!?!?!?