James Wallace

I might be the only one, but I'd forgotten all about this lad. I remember him having a couple of minutes of first team action last season but after that he dropped off the radar somewhat, with Barkley emerging as the new academy favourite.

Seems he's now putting in some pretty impressive performances, albeit at Stockport, and their fans can't praise him highly enough. Has anyone seen him play recently? Does he have enough to make the first team at some point?
Mark Burton, Falmouth, Cornwall     Posted 18/03/2011 at 18:28:30

Comments

Aidy Dews
1   Posted 18/03/2011 at 20:17:38

I've always liked what I've seen of him whenever he's had a chance to be involved. I like the way he plays, he looked good on the ball, always got his head up looking about and liked to play give-and-goes and always found space for himself to receive the ball.

In the Europa League game away to Sigma, he was pointing and telling the senior pros in the team where to play it next and things like that and it was good to see.

I liked the look of him and like midfielders that play like that but Moyesy obviously sees things differently and doesn't think he's quite ready for us atm.
Dick Fearon
2   Posted 18/03/2011 at 21:29:06

This whole business about loaning out our younger players is something I have long suggested. I began thinking along those lines after looking up the club pages of our European opponents.
It amazed me that it was not unusual that they had anywhere around 20 players either in on loan or out on loan. At a vital period of their development, it is far better to place these young men into competitive environments.
Dick Anderson
3   Posted 18/03/2011 at 21:49:41

James Wallace is 19 years old and he's playing in League 2.

Admittedly it sounds as though he is doing ok. But doing ok in League 2 is a long way away from having a chance to make it at a Premier League club like Everton.

If your really good you don't go out on loan to League 2. Especially when your 19. Could you imagine Wilshere or Rodwell playing in League 2?

My guess is Wallace will have a decent career in the lower leagues like say Steven Schumacher or Anthony Gerard.
Andrew James
4   Posted 18/03/2011 at 22:12:25

I do worry about our youth team. Wallace was being painted as near to Rodwell and Baxter the next Rooney 2 years ago. Neither have stepped up. Vaughan and Anichebe have frustrated us all, although I still believe Vaughan is the better player and can do a job.

Antony Matthews
5   Posted 19/03/2011 at 08:54:43

Let's face it. Even if these players do become world beaters then all Fergie has to do is pick up the phone and quote a ridiculous price and we bend over.
Sam Hoare
6   Posted 19/03/2011 at 09:30:34

Agree with Dick. League 2 is a long way from the Premier League. If he goes on loan (like Akpan just has) to a Champioship side and does well then I will start to take notice.

But all the best to the lad, you can only deal with what you're given.
James Flynn
7   Posted 21/03/2011 at 02:31:08

Loan Wallace to Arena at LA Galaxy. Not wasting time in League 2 with some hack of a manager. Arena will either bring it out in him or prove him a dud.
Andy Callan
8   Posted 21/03/2011 at 12:30:11

No chance - if he was good enough, he'd've been playin' by now.

Mind you, Rodwell keeps gettin' a game... and the game just passes that man by.