Members:   Log In Sign Up

Pat Nevin on TalkSport

I was listening to Talk Sport and heard Pat Nevin say that the rumours were all around the city of Liverpool for the last few days that Everton were about to be sold and that the new owners didn't want David Moyes. He said that he believed this to be strong enough to be true.

Now, I don't hold much faith in Talk Sport but I don't believe that Pat Nevin is all that stupid. As someone not living in Liverpool, I would ask anyone who does, if this is true.

Also, can anyone tell me what the relationship with local papers is to Everton? Are they in the pocket of the club? I'm not trying to make any point here, just asking what is happening closer to home.
Andy Crooks, Belfast     Posted 18/03/2011 at 22:08:19

Comments

Dave Wilson
1   Posted 19/03/2011 at 06:26:28

Crosby taxi drivers?
Ray Roche
2   Posted 19/03/2011 at 07:17:06

I no longer live in Liverpool myself, but I have always regarded Nevin as an intelligent and articulate man, not your usual "Er... yernoworramean, like" footballer who talks in soundbites and just says either what the fans want to hear or states the bleedin' obvious. As for the rumours, let's hope that there is some substance in them.
Alan Clarke
3   Posted 19/03/2011 at 07:36:15

It'll be garbage but these 'new owners' must have actually watched Everton this season if they don't want Moyes in charge.
Gavin Ramejkis
4   Posted 19/03/2011 at 07:59:05

I hope we are sold because I'm not giving the club another penny until BK is evicted and sent packing back to luvvie land.
Gavin Ramejkis
5   Posted 19/03/2011 at 08:04:17

It's a sad but damning indictment that whenever I hear about sale rumours I automatically think about BK being behind the rumour with an ulterior motive for his own gain. You know the script by now: unhappy fans... then cue the rumours of:

New signing(s)
New investment
New owner

[Delete as appropriate] But, after 11 years of bullshitting, no-one is falling for it anymore.
Martin Hughes
6   Posted 19/03/2011 at 08:10:05

Jagielka's contract signing came out of the blue! Is this the sign that EFC have money and are looking to keep their best players before adding to the squad?
Norman Merrill
7   Posted 19/03/2011 at 08:29:29

Just another slant on a rumour!!!
Martin Hughes
8   Posted 19/03/2011 at 08:44:58

Norman what do you mean?
Andy Crooks
9   Posted 19/03/2011 at 09:29:40

Sorry, I think it was actually on five live. This morning I'm not sure of anything, though.
Eugene Ruane
10   Posted 19/03/2011 at 09:29:11

"..and that the new owners didn't want David Moyes".

Have to say I like the cut of the completely fabricated, none-existent new owner's jib.
Dave Wilson
11   Posted 19/03/2011 at 09:54:40

I don't always agree with what you say, Eugene, but you usually make me laugh when you say it.
Jamie Carroll
12   Posted 19/03/2011 at 10:19:42

Jagielka will be sold in the summer if the club isn't sold. The new contract will get the best price for Jagielka.
Martin Berry
13   Posted 19/03/2011 at 10:33:43

Not heard any rumours ? and I live in Liverpool. Utter bollocks!l
Andy Crooks
14   Posted 19/03/2011 at 11:08:43

Eugene, brilliant stuff!
Richard Dodd
15   Posted 19/03/2011 at 11:16:39

The regulars of the Freshie must have been talking. It`s all over Liverpool I won on Euro Millions last week.......seven quid! Trouble was BB didn`t want to relinquish control. But I`ll keep up the pressure on him to hand over!
Kunal Desai
16   Posted 19/03/2011 at 11:18:22

Ahh it's that time of year where BK is most likely to be misbehaving again. Exactly how are the early bird season ticket sales/renewals doing?
Trevor Mackie
17   Posted 19/03/2011 at 12:08:31

Watching Moyes on Sky yesterday he looked like death warmed up; maybe it's a goer. Fingers crossed.
Steve Green
18   Posted 19/03/2011 at 11:57:03

Yes Gavin @ #5, how convenient that, as the head of steam against the current situation begins to pick up again ? just prior to a televised league game ? that this sort of rumour filters out. Call me suspicious and I'll hold my hand up.

And the bit about Moyes, like him or loath him, the propoganda war re his position kicked off recently with the comments Bill is purported to have made re releasing him. This is Stage 2 in the unsettling stakes, designed in the long term to avoid paying out or reducing 'redundancy compo'.

A clever game played by nasty people who think that they are clever. No mirrors this time, just smoke... BB is really getting to my health and well being at the moment.

David Hallwood
19   Posted 19/03/2011 at 12:19:48

Reluctantly, I'm with Gavin (#4). For instance, today's game coincides with some friends visiting ETA 6:30, and when I realised that KO was 5:30 (WTF is that about! ? the way football KO times are fucked about with is one of my many gripes about 'new' football), I'm toying with the idea of not bothering despite not having ESPN.

Not long ago, it would have been a case of 'you carry on without me dearest, and I'll be home as quick as I can after the après match stella'... But, after Reading & Birmingham and Wolves & Newca.....etc etc, is it worth the grief on all sides???

BTW I've just spoken to a mate of mine works up at Goodison ? all news to him, so it sounds to me like a TWebber's wet dream.
Peter Dry
20   Posted 19/03/2011 at 12:30:26

While we're on the subject of taxi drivers/fabrication/confabulation etc, I helped two Liverpool fans from Sligo find their way to Anfield from Scotty Rd yesterday and they told me a gem of a conspiracy theory regarding Istanbul. They had heard that the Italian mafia had put a considerable amount of money on a Liverpool win and had words with the Milan team at half-time. If any taxi driver tells you this, you heard it here first!

And before anyone castigates me for helping two reds, it was Comic Relief yesterday.
Simon Jenkins
21   Posted 19/03/2011 at 13:05:10

Well, I live in Liverpool and I've heard zero rumours over the last few days. Nobody on any of the main Everton fans' forums have been talking about these so-called rumours, so I have no earthly idea where Nevin is getting his info.

To be honest, the last few days have seen Jags sign a new 4-year deal and Moyes adamantly outright say that Rodwell isn't going to be sold this summer. Whether the latter is true or not, he's publicly put it out there. I reckon Nevin is talking a load of shite to be frank, Moyes has a big reputation in football and the idea that random new mystery owners don't want him just seems utter bollox. Unless they're a mega rich billionaire Sheik and they're going to replace Moyes with Mourinho or Hiddink, can't see it happening at all.

Dave Roberts
22   Posted 19/03/2011 at 13:26:36

Spreading rumours used to be an offence during the war.

It still should be.
Ray Roche
23   Posted 19/03/2011 at 14:24:12

Sorry, Dave, I don't remember that far back so I'll bow to your superior knowledge and personal memories on that one.....
Matt Traynor
24   Posted 19/03/2011 at 14:49:59

Martin (6), Jagielka has signed a new contract, to 2015. His previous contract expired in 2014. Therefore it's not unreasonable to assume he's been put on better terms because either (a) there was more to that Arsenal rumour than some of us believed, (b) clauses now inserted mean we'll get a better deal when we do sell.

I hate being cynical. Thank you BK.
Eugene Ruane
25   Posted 19/03/2011 at 14:38:31

To be fair, there's a history of this type of thing with the Nevins.

Rippleripplerippleripplerippleripple....

1940 (during the war) - Glasgow Crown Court.

Clerk: "Call Mr Patrick Hoops Grauniad-Reeder Nevin Sr"

Bailiff: "CALL MR PATRICK......"

Nevin Sr, wearing a Private Walker type suit, and a drawn-on pencil moustache saunters to the dock while the St Trinians 'Flash Harry' theme plays.

Brief for the prosecution (hands on lapels): "Mr Nevin, are you familiar with the expression 'Loose lips sink ships'?"

Nevin (weeping): "Yer 'onour, ah SWEER ahm no guilty. Whit ah sez wiz completely taken oot a context so it wuz. This whole thang is a travesty of a sham of a mockery. Awe a sez whiz 'they Germans look smart in ther uniforms and the next thing....'"

Fade.

An hour later Mr Nevin leaves court a free man, without a stain on his character.

(apart from the ten shilling fine).

On the court steps, he straightens his tie (one with a nudie pin-up on it), looks around furtively, then winks to TW and whispers "Ahm too fly f'thae cunts man - suckers awe a them!".

Cue Flash Harry theme..
Roberto Birquet
26   Posted 19/03/2011 at 15:33:58

I heard Nevin say the same thing on fivelive see link below at the 1hr 40 m mark

Alex Kociuba
27   Posted 19/03/2011 at 17:15:41

lol Eugene :D
Chris Bannantyne
28   Posted 19/03/2011 at 17:23:26

Well it seems no one from Liverpool has heard the rumour... But now they have. You can start a rumour by saying "I heard a rumour going round that..." and it quite often works.

But there is only so many times you can play this game before people say "bullshit. When I see proof then I will believe it". I believe most evertonians have been conditioned to this mindset, at least as far as talks of a sale is concerned.

Nice try BK, those season tickets must be flying off the shelves.
Daniel A Johnson
29   Posted 19/03/2011 at 19:45:18

Season ticket slump = Moutinho, Riquelme and buyout stories.

Believe it when I see it... so not in my lifetime then.
Jay Harris
30   Posted 19/03/2011 at 20:24:28

Doddy, now I see why some supporters say "be careful what you wish for".

LOL.
Martin Handley
31   Posted 19/03/2011 at 21:46:54

I know a few people that work at EFC and they've told me the rumour is actually a goer. It's believed to be an American whose worth a few bob. Sticking point is the "honourary" role that BK is to be given.

Moyes's position is under threat as they weren't impressed when they spoke to him re players he was looking at, even with a massively improved transfer kitty. Also, Fellaini would make history by being first blues player to be offered £100k+ a week.

Don't shoot the messenger ? it's just what I've been told by people I trust.

David Thomas
32   Posted 19/03/2011 at 23:05:19

Martin,

I think someone has been telling you a load of bullshit.
Alan Clarke
33   Posted 20/03/2011 at 00:07:50

How often does Martin post on here? Nice one.
Mike Green
34   Posted 20/03/2011 at 00:15:57

Eugene (25) - what......?!

I'd love to hear the relevance of that post. As I'm sure would Pat Nevin.

Bizarre as fuck.
Eric Myles
35   Posted 20/03/2011 at 02:40:08

Simoon #21 "Nobody on any of the main Everton fans' forums have been talking about these so-called rumours"

There's a link to a rumour of a Canadian takeover on the Home Page of Toffeeweb!!!

Don't any of you actually read the site contents?
Sur Jo
36   Posted 20/03/2011 at 06:30:19

I love Martin Handley. The prospective owners are Venki brothers with a large business operation in New York City's China Town. They are in bitter terms with Venki poultry (the Blackburn owners) and want to show them how to run a club.

Venki brothers have targeted West Ham's Kieron Dyer as their first signing for Everton FC. They have also asked David Moyes to meet with them during the summer to discuss the club's future. Venki brothers want to replace David Moyes with Pat Nevin.

One of their conditions is that all the best players should be on long-term contracts before they buy. That's why Phil had to extend his, after Anichebe. They are looking to sell most of the club's assets and that's why they already have a deal with Manchester United to sell Jack Rodwell.

Eugene Ruane
37   Posted 20/03/2011 at 09:25:16

Sorry Mike, all it took was Dave Roberts's war reference.

I actually have TW tourettes, it's a real condition probably, like Michael Douglas having sex addiction.
Martin Handley
38   Posted 20/03/2011 at 10:35:32

Dave (#32): No, I don't think they are; they've told me stuff in the past that has been correct 100%. It's not someone either ? it's several people, one of whom is a close relative on the staff. I don't feel the need to justify myself any further!

Alan (#33): what does how often I post on here have to do with anything? I only post when I feel I have something to add.

Sur Jo (#36): All I can say to you is that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

One last thing Pat Nevin has always come across as a very intelligent man and nobody's fool. For him to say what he has said, the source must be fairly high up at Goodison.

David Thomas
39   Posted 20/03/2011 at 11:16:08

Martin,

Fair enough, to me it sounds like a load of bullshit, just like the last story we had on this site saying someone's mate in the medical team at Everton knew all the players had not been paid for a couple of months.

Last time I think you posted about inside info, you told us that Green had called in his loan because he had money issues because M&S shares had dropped, even though Green has nothing to do with M&S.
Karl Meighan
40   Posted 20/03/2011 at 12:19:11

It sounds like the usual nonesense with season ticket renewals around the corner.

As for Everton's relationship with the local papers? The RS FC Echo is that bad you need to look in the stop press for anything regarding The People's Club. The BBC and RS Echo just love to give us nothing and never have.

Mark Lawrenson's comment, trying to compare Everton with Charlton and Curbishley on MotD last night, was a insult and the kind of nonsense all the newspapers seem to enjoy writing about Everton.

Declan Brown
41   Posted 20/03/2011 at 14:44:13

Guys anyone watching the Old Firm on BBC1 Scotland today?

On the pundit panel today are Pat Nevin and.... David Moyes. Priceless!!!!
Eugene Ruane
42   Posted 20/03/2011 at 15:00:46

Karl you say...

"Martin @38, Nevin a fairly intelligent man? ? he may well be but being an ex-footballer punk rocker and art lover it's a doubt but my guess is that there is more chance of him being clever than of Everton being sold."

Erm....bet he's intelligent enough to know that there's about 15 commas missing from that paragraph (seriously - I had to read it 4 times to get what you were saying).
Martin Handley
43   Posted 20/03/2011 at 15:51:57

David (#38): You may have mixed up with another Martin, easy enough to do!

My personal opinion on the Jack Rodwell rumour is that if Man U are daft enough to offer £25m + I'd snap their hands off, I'd rather lose him than Fellaini.

On the sale rumour, I'd be overjoyed both at the new owners and a new manager with a different outlook. I mean Heitinga for Cahill as substitution, please!

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
44   Posted 20/03/2011 at 16:15:42

Eugene, Karl doesn't do punctuation, but I've been helping him along; however, that one had me stumped and I guess I just dropped the ball and hid.
Michael Lynch
45   Posted 20/03/2011 at 16:52:01

"Be careful what you wish for ? Everton may end up like Charlton."

I've heard pundits use this one before when talking about Everton fans who are disgruntled with the Manager. It was used again by that wonderful trio of Lineker, Hansen and Lawrenson on MotD last night.

Now, this type of comment really bugs me. How on earth can you compare the 4th most successful club in English football, a pioneering club with a history of trend setting that the rest of the world followed (purpose-built stadium, floodlights, medals, dugouts etc), to a small club in South London? I find it quite disrespectful that we are are even compared to clubs like that.

We are now perceived as some lowly minnows who should be happy with staving off relegation. Well, I won't be fucking happy till I see some trophies being paraded at Goodison.

Roberto Birquet
46   Posted 20/03/2011 at 17:58:29

-------------------
History, history, history.

We are tenth at best financially and all the memories in the world are not gonna change that.

We need to find a way to get money into the club and there are no obvious answers. There has been no-one ? NO-ONE with less money than us to crack into the top five for more than a season since the 90s. Maybe you could say Leeds, if that was worth going bankrupt, losing ownership of your ground, and falling to Division Three!

Can anyone show that is wrong?

Please, get real. There are fair things to say about the style of our football, our inability to break down lesser teams at Goodison, but the idea that someone can come in, replace Moyes, and put is into top 5 sounds like naive wishful thinking.
Simon Jenkins
47   Posted 20/03/2011 at 19:33:21

Eric Myles (#35) ? Yes, I read this site and most EFC sites every day.

I really don't count that Canadian thing as anything remotely comparable to what Nevin was referring to, and I stand by what I wrote ? nobody is talking about that anywhere. I live in Liverpool, work in Liverpool, drink in Liverpool, went the match yesterday, go to aways on coaches, etc etc. Nobody is talking about it.
Eugene Ruane
48   Posted 20/03/2011 at 19:44:58

Simon you remind me of..

David Thomas
49   Posted 20/03/2011 at 19:44:32

Martin 43,

Is this not part of one of your previous posts?

"But the rumour sweeping the club is that Phillip Green has called his loan back in due to M&S having a tough time in the stock market. If that's true then BK is well and truly in the brown stuff, which may force him to sell quickly and at a lower price which will entice buyers and stave off administration, also leaving him well and truly skint and off the board."
Eric Myles
50   Posted 21/03/2011 at 02:06:48

Simon you said "Nobody on any of the main Everton fans' forums have been talking about these so-called rumours"

Yet it was being talked about on GOT.

Now you say none of your mates in the pub are talking about it? Maybe they haven't read GOT? Point it out to them and then you can talk to them about it.
Andy Crooks
51   Posted 21/03/2011 at 08:44:09

If anyone watched MotD2 last night, the rumour was repeated agiain. What was amazing was the fact that these pundits found it unbelievable that buyers weren't queing up to buy Everton. In fact, Colin Murray didn't see the necessity for a new stadium as a problem.

If this story is groundless then the cynicism of those behind it defies belief.

Gavin Ramejkis
52   Posted 21/03/2011 at 13:20:01

Andy, BK would do ANYTHING to save his own arse and keep the top job at the club, after 11 years and countless bullshitisms even the diehard BKites are starting to ask questions... (well Doddy excluded).

I wouldn't put it past BK to have claimed an investor was Japanese based but has now had to pull out due to the Tsunami.
Andrew Ellams
53   Posted 21/03/2011 at 14:09:25

A Chelsea fan at work said he's heard a rumour in a radio interview over the weekend and the potential buyer was a so far anonymous US or Canadian consortium.

Like most of you, I will keep my feet firmly on the ground until it's signed, sealed and delivered. Until then, let's just enjoy the summer purchases of Messi, Kaka and Ronaldo.
Karl Meighan
54   Posted 21/03/2011 at 14:45:28

Thanks for the help Michael@44, I didn't think commas were my problem although I now know better. Here is hoping for a paragraph along with the world's best players. Funny thing is I have never had a problem with the offside rule if only English was so simple. Anyway any rumours are good rumours regarding the sale of the club imo. Thanks again Michael.
Karl Meighan
55   Posted 21/03/2011 at 15:11:15

Still can't work this double line break out.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
56   Posted 21/03/2011 at 19:11:43

Good work, Karl... VG.

Now... see that big key to the right side of all those letters? But not as far as the numbers... no, not the numbers across the top, the ones like a phone keypad... although upsidedown (Why is it that a phone keypad and a keyboard keypad are reversed??? Another of the great mysteries of life... but I digress.)

So... after you've done typing a few words and put in a full stop, press that Big Key (Enter/ Return?) once... then press it again.... then carry on with some more typing.

When you hit Submit.... white space! Simples!!!