East Coast boys are hip

I realise there will be a lot of complaining by the home-based TW contingent in regards to the announcement that Everton will, yet again, visit the USA in the summer break, but I, for one, am chuffed to bits and can't wait to get the opportunity to see them close up.

I do hope though that the pre-season friendlies after their US visit are substantially better than normal - in order to get a GOOD start to the season instead of the usual dross they play!

Roll on July......
Gerry Quinn, Houston, Texas     Posted 22/03/2011 at 17:00:10

Comments

Jamie Barlow
1   Posted 22/03/2011 at 19:15:25

Can't see this post going down well, Gerry.
Dick Fearon
2   Posted 22/03/2011 at 19:13:28

Going by past experience, our pre season plans are in urgent need of a complete overhaul. What do we get! more of the same old mistakes.

A month after the new season kicks off and we are all fuming at yet another atrocious run of games; expect Moyes to repeat what he said at the same juncture last year. 'We will be hitting our straps in another 4 weeks'.

Some people are incapable of learning from past mistakes and I am afraid our Davey is one of them.

Gerry Quinn
3   Posted 22/03/2011 at 19:27:23

I put the post up to start an argument, Jamie!

You could say "what is good for the goose is good for the gander".
If the Barcelona's, Real Madrid's, Manures, Chelskis and even Spuds are coming over to the states, then why not? The facilities are excellent compared to Europe.

Where Everton go wrong compared to the above teams is in the pre-season build up matches following their visit to the states...........argue away :)

Anthony O'Sullivan
4   Posted 22/03/2011 at 19:38:20

When you consider how often we are on Fox soccer over there it makes sense to keep travelling over, but do it a bit earlier and get back for 2 or 3 games at home before the season starts.
Chris Butler
5   Posted 22/03/2011 at 19:35:21

I was the first to bring up this issue last year. My argument is simple: yes, it's great for the fans in America. But in my opinion, these match are devioid of any atmosphere, any real effort and any real intent.

For selfish reasons I suppose I'd like Everton to visit somewhere like Ajax or PSV in the summer. I'd like us maybe to play a big side at home such as Barca but more realistic somebody like Roma or Juventus. As it's unlikely we'll get into Europe, a cheap trip to Amsterdam or Eindhoven would be great. We'd take thousands. We took bloody 2,000 to Anderlecht once.

Got to say there's nothing better than a Wednesday night pre-season friendly in the sun. Having a good old sing song, hopefully welcoming some new arab owners, being able to going the match in shorts and a T-shirt, not freezing your arse off like most games. Yes, they're all selfish reasons. But the sight of 4,000 blues travelling to Ajax would be a sight to remember. I've always wanted to visit that stadium.

Jamie Barlow
6   Posted 22/03/2011 at 19:41:15

Gerry, I don't mind where they play at the start of pre-season. The players seem to like the facilities and I believe they're a quite decent team. I just hope they play some half decent teams later on.
Pat Finegan
7   Posted 22/03/2011 at 21:16:01

It's probably not a good idea to visit the USA every single year but I'M GONNA GET TO GO TO AN EVERTON GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm selfishly excited about this but I do fear that it could lead to another bad start to a season.

Trevor Lynes
8   Posted 22/03/2011 at 21:26:18

Save the business class airfare and plush hotel costs and put it towards a transfer fund !!!!!!!!!!
Gerry Quinn
9   Posted 22/03/2011 at 22:43:25

Pat #7
Where will you travel from?
I also assume that we will be playing in either New York or Boston for the 2nd match - also the MLS all-Stars is due to be played at the latter stadium - could it be us again?
Eugene Ruane
10   Posted 22/03/2011 at 22:24:15

Predictions.

Everton 4 - Mississippi Oven Chips 1

(gls Vellios 3, Mustafi)

Everton 3 - Texas Homecarers 2

(gls Vellios, Duffy, Gueye)

Everton 5 - LA Confidentials 1

(gls Gueye 3 Vellios, Mustafi)

Everton 9 - Hanna Montana 0

(gls Saha 9).

Echo - "9 goal hero Saha breaks both both legs in U.S comeback game - out for season)

Team for first PL game of season (against Stoke) features Anichebe as a lone striker.

We get beat 2-1 (Hibbert)

I snap.

I am arrested naked in the dug-out trying to chin Moyes and screaming incoherent stuff about..

"..you take this fucking useless shower all the fucking way to America...have you learnt nothing you ginger cu..."

I am sent down for 3 months and ask the judge if he can make it 8

Etc.

Kurt Knight
11   Posted 23/03/2011 at 00:44:22

Gerry, you sat in front of us in Salt Lake -- Go blues; will definitely be there.

Gary Russell
12   Posted 23/03/2011 at 01:25:22

Cheers to TW's funniest poster Eugane... hilarious!
Gary Russell
13   Posted 23/03/2011 at 01:26:32

Spelling!! > Eugene
Chris Bannantyne
14   Posted 23/03/2011 at 02:11:21

I think they should come out to Australia again, but this time no fluffing about sightseeing, throw them out in the middle of the dessert, play two games each day, one at noon in deadly oppressive heat, one at midnight in the freezing cold. Sleep in tents, have to survive only on tinned food and whatever they can hunt themselves, fly to and from in shitty non sound proofed military cargo jets.

When they get home and the season starts, it will be an absolute breeeeze!

Or then again, maybe not..
Stephen Kenny
15   Posted 23/03/2011 at 10:05:30

Eugene,

I get it but why naked?
Kevin Jones
16   Posted 23/03/2011 at 10:22:56

Brilliant stuff Eugene. We could play the. Tallahassee Tampons

Named after Louis Saha of course, in for 1 week out for 3
Eugene Ruane
17   Posted 23/03/2011 at 10:56:44

Stephen - why naked?

Good question.

Basically because I reckon it would help with the insanity plea.

So rather than me having to do my time in a hole like Walton, I'd get to go to a secure care facility.

A few months being sedated, plus tea, biscuits, cakes ciggies and telly - lovely!

And by the way, if being naked DIDN'T convince the court my 'responsibility was diminished', I'd simply flash a lower Bullens season-ticket card.

(cue people in the public gallery dabbing tears from their eyes and sympathetically whispering 'poor wretch')
Mick Gallagher
18   Posted 23/03/2011 at 11:59:31

Book your flights now before the budget and he puts more duty on long haul flights
Norman Merrill
19   Posted 23/03/2011 at 12:28:41

Like some of the comments on here, I also doubt the reasons for going to the USA?
If its a club jolly, to get any NEW signings???? bedded in then ok.

Because unless we meet up with a good side ie top German or Italian side, then we are not really going to be tested.

Hence the slow and predictable start that we have been having for a couple of sesasons.
Gerry, I appreciate that you are looking forward to seeing the Blues
abd I am sure you know what I am getting at.
Trevor Lynes
20   Posted 23/03/2011 at 13:49:12

Fully agree with #19....Maybe its a way that Tim H can get to see his family...likewise Tim C when we head for OZ....why dont we instead go to Holland so Mr Heitinga can see his family ????
Reasons being better opposition and weather we are used to....no jetlag and rather cheaper on the pocket for fares and hotels......I dont understand the benefits of long haul pre season JOLLIES against very limited opposition and strolling players...it also takes Round and DM out of the picture when they would be much better off sussing out european players who might be worth signing !!!
Charlie Dixon
21   Posted 23/03/2011 at 13:00:27

Ha, Eugene best post on here by far. That's the sort of sense of humour we'll need to get through until when the transfer window shuts in August.
Gerry Quinn
22   Posted 23/03/2011 at 16:12:24

Eugene - agree with the majority - excellent comments, got me giggling away.

Yes, I also stated (same as the majority) what the pre-season should entail....

As usual, when Everton play the US teams in these matches in July, they will just be starting on their pre-season training. The US teams will be halfway through their season - and nobody expects too much from the Everton players as they attempt to start to step up from their short summer break in order to "get up to speed" - fitness wise first, then match-wise.

My bone of contention is that Everton leave this side of the Atlantic, travel back home and play teams that offer very little in relation to EPL standard, topped off by a last match against a "foreign" club.

Surely we should be playing stronger EPL type teams instead?
Eugene Ruane
23   Posted 23/03/2011 at 17:16:47

Gerry, I couldn't agree more.

It's great that U.S blues get to see them play, but imo it's a waste of time (and money) in so many ways.

Pat Finegan
24   Posted 23/03/2011 at 18:51:42

Gerry #9
I'll be traveling from South Jersey. I wouldn't be surprised to see them play the Union in Philadelphia.
Gerry Quinn
25   Posted 24/03/2011 at 01:17:54

Pat #24
Yes, I have started to look around Washington on the web - have just sent an e-mail to President Obama to ask if a group of 10 of us can visit the White House on Friday 22nd! Seriously, I sent it to him instead of my Member of Congress!!!!
Gerry Quinn
26   Posted 24/03/2011 at 01:25:08

I'll turn him and Michelle, and the girls into avid Evertonians :)