Members:   Log In Sign Up

Duffy's Away

Another one out on loan. Shane Duffy this time, who is off to Burnley for a month. Will be fantastic for him to get some games under his belt at a very good level.

Best of luck Shane, it will be great experience for you and we will be following your progress all the way.

Tony Cheek, Haugesund, Norway     Posted 24/03/2011 at 17:45:40

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
1   Posted 24/03/2011 at 18:45:06

With the money saved on hot lunches in the Finch Farm canteen these days, maybe we can afford a loan player of our own this summer!
Stephen Kenny
2   Posted 24/03/2011 at 19:15:51

Hopefully there will be a few more like Duffy who go on loan to get some experience of competitive football.

I've got no doubt that half a season or more will tell us everything we need to know about Baxter, Gueye, Vellios, Mustafi, Bidwell, Garbutt etc.

Loans of the type that Wallace and Nsiala have gone on are a waste of time.
Stephen Kenny
3   Posted 24/03/2011 at 19:18:52

'Half a seaon or more in the Championship'
Karl Masters
4   Posted 24/03/2011 at 19:21:38

Speaking of the Championship, has anybody spotted any talents there we could try and purchase in the Summer for reasonable fees on reasonable wages ? in the Cahill mould?

Last season, the lad Dorrans at WBA stood out for me, but with them going up we had no chance of getting him. The winger, Sinclair, at Swansea, looks half-decent and has banged in a lot of goals for example.
Andy Crooks
5   Posted 24/03/2011 at 19:21:33

I think this is great news. Shane Duffy is the best asset Everton have at present. He isn't going to get into our first team right now so he'll show what he can do on loan and hopefully do the same as Coleman next season. This lad will be a class centre back, believe me.
Andy Crooks
6   Posted 24/03/2011 at 19:26:11

Karl, I look at the rumours on the site and laugh. What you are saying is our only way forward. Find another bargain Mr Moyes.
James Hollister
7   Posted 24/03/2011 at 19:29:07

I thought I might put this out there.

Fellaini played 22 games last season before being carted off injured for the rest of it.

This season he has played even less, just 20 matches before again going out for the rest of the season.

During all the matches he has played, he has been playing off and on either, great or joe average.

If Real Madrid or Chelsea want to come in for him, the price tag should be around 25 mill minimum. What concerns me is that he is rather injury prone, and when we loose him and Arteta our entire midfield goes to entire pot, and the lads just panic.

Which for me explains why when we where winning, we went back to panic defending, they had no outlet and simply had no idea what to do in the last 15/20 minutes of the Fulham match.

We can't afford to have a player of Fellaini out for such long periods of time, particularly when we have to rely on him.

I don't know the answer as to who if we did offload him for a decent fee, who we could bring in. I am sure there is bound to be some one somewhere, who maybe equally as good elsewhere, I dunno.

We do need the funds, the team is disgustingly stale, and as we all know we desperately need a striker or two, a right back and a winger, all I know is we must do something. We can't afford to have a lower league player trying to take up one of the most important mantle's in the game as a striker.

Becks requires a foil, and he tends to do okay with Saha, but then we know we need to move Saha on too, it's time to get him off the payroll permanently, the man is a liability when not playing.

My real concern, after the season we've just had, would anyone of any note want to even come to us, ie, after the barmy admin scare, and the shocking season we've had and with potentially no Euro football?
Gavin Ramejkis
8   Posted 24/03/2011 at 19:50:55

Duffy needs games under his belt and not sitting on a bench catching splinters so best of luck to him, noticed it was an emergency loan, surely with Saha broken again we can seek an emergency loan to cover him?
Ryan Holroyd
9   Posted 24/03/2011 at 19:59:32

Duffy is the best asset Everton have!! Hahahahah...
Paul Olsen
10   Posted 24/03/2011 at 20:06:18

And here we go, one more out and what happens next.

Coleman pulls out of Ireland squad with an ankle injury

Who´s left now then?
Chris Bannantyne
11   Posted 24/03/2011 at 19:58:04

Yeah good luck Duffy!

But we are really decimating an already threadbare and decimated squad. I suppose central defender is our most covered for position though.

Coleman has pulled out of the Irish squad due to sn ankle injury. Here's hoping it doesn't keep him out of OUR squad for long.
Trevor Lynes
12   Posted 24/03/2011 at 20:07:54

We have ELEVEN out on loan and now we have Arteta, Fellaini and Saha on long term injury. I noticed to day that other clubs are making loan deals almost every day. Why are we not doing the same with loans coming IN instead of OUT as it appears normal for every other team in the league? Surely we could bring in one or two fringe players from our wealthy opponents to tide us over until the end of yet another ragged season (of discontent).
Andrew Conroy
13   Posted 24/03/2011 at 20:10:53

As an isolated case I would see Duffy's loan move as a good thing. Unfortunately it isn't, and this loaning out of so many players at a time we're desperate for bodies stinks of a club desperately doing anything they can to reduce their running costs.

There's no chance for Duffy at Everton anyway, and I've wondered for awhile now why Moyes even bothers putting him on the bench. This is by no means a judgment of Duffy's ability; I haven't seen much of him so haven't got a clue how good he is. It's more that I've never been able to imagine a scenario happening on the pitch that would lead Moyes to giving him a go. If Jags, Distin, Heitinga, Hibbert and Neville all got injured in the same game game Moyes would put Anichebe in at centre back before Duffy, such is his fear of anything so radical as playing players in their right position and trusting anyone but his usual favourites.

Ian McDowell
14   Posted 24/03/2011 at 20:28:54

I think it's a good move. The games will help him gain valuable experience and we are well off for defenders so the chances are he wouldn't get near the first team this year. The forward situation is a different story.
Dick Fearon
15   Posted 24/03/2011 at 21:08:07

When all our loanees return, it will seem like 10 new signings, yippee!
Erik Dols
16   Posted 24/03/2011 at 21:48:29

Dick Fearon beat me to it :(

Only conclusion left is that Hibbert's to blame.
Kieran Fitzgerald
17   Posted 24/03/2011 at 22:07:00

I can't understand why this wasn't done months ago. There is plenty of cover at centre half. IF Duffy is half as good as he's made out to be then we could have gotten him at least half a season's experience and then looked to see which of the senior players we could have sold in the summer to raise some cash.
Andy Callen
18   Posted 24/03/2011 at 22:06:46

Trevor, you can only loan a goalkeeper after the transfer window has shut and that is only in exceptional circumstances, ie, you have no other fit keepers. This time next year we might be able to take a plunge into the loan market, however that will only be as a result of us getting relegated.

I agree with Andrew Conroy, as an isolated loan deal, it makes sense; however, like others have suggested, it smacks of desperation from the board, trying to lower the outgoings at any cost.
Steve Carter
19   Posted 24/03/2011 at 22:01:08

This is just sensible business practice in our present predicament. We have to sell or make silk purses out of sows' ears (be it acquiring Cahill-esque bargains or silking our own sows). Languishing in our reserves or on our first team bench means our unused assets have no exposure to potential buyers. In addition to saving wages, loaning puts them in the High St shop window (even if it isn't the Kings Rd). If they come good, we sell or bring them back a la Coleman; if they don't, we JP Kissock them. Simple.
David Hallwood
20   Posted 24/03/2011 at 22:15:22

Steve (#19) ? it's Everton's version of last man standing.
Lee Courtliff
21   Posted 24/03/2011 at 22:29:39

I am a Burnley lad and have a lot of mates who go on the match so I will get them to let me know how he gets on and then let you all know. One of my mates knows his stuff. He was telling what a great signing Cahill would be for us and he got that one right. Lescott too.
Martin Handley
22   Posted 24/03/2011 at 22:41:34

Not to put another downer on things lads but I've just got back from the mini Derby where Jose Baxter was CARRIED OFF on a stretcher with a hamstring tear I was sitting near David Moyes and he just went white! It was a bad one so that's one more down can anybody work out who the fuck we've got left fit!?

On a positive note the Greek lad looks useful,and the goalie saved a penalty.

It ended 2-2 by the way.

Chad Schofield
23   Posted 24/03/2011 at 22:52:42

God that's terrible news Martin!

Good luck Duffy on your loan.
Jimmy Sorheim
24   Posted 24/03/2011 at 23:24:18

In striker position we have: 1. Beckford; 2. Gueye and 3. Vellios. In midfield we have Bily and Gueye. In defence we have Heitinga and Mustafi.

I don't feel overly confident, could have used at least Vaughan who has scored 8 goals this far for Palace. Otherwise we are in big trouble with both Rodwell and Saha out plus now Coleman. I feel scared, we are getting relegated with this few quality players to choose from!!

Ray Roche
25   Posted 25/03/2011 at 06:27:06

Right, we've got Villa at home next. I want you all at the ground early, no "I'm stuck on the M62, Boss", and all with yer boots dubbined and yer socks washed. Does anyone have any of the old "nail-in" leather studs so I might get a game too? At least we'll have a full bench.
Liam Reilly
26   Posted 25/03/2011 at 08:44:09

"I feel scared, we are getting relegated"

Everton are not going down. There's 8 games left and we're 8 points clear, plus goal difference is worth another point. So no fear there, as we'd have to lose all 8 remaining games to go down and even for Everton that's a tall order.

Lets cheer the lads on for the remainder of a disappointing season and look to regroup in the summer.
Gavin Ramejkis
27   Posted 25/03/2011 at 08:55:39

I can't see the logic for who we have left now in the striker stakes not calling back Vaughan.

Anichebe is a very poor hybrid of a fat Yakubu and Heskey minus both of their goals, if anyone doubts his size just take a look at his fat arse in oversize shorts next time you see him warm up or play

Beckford will never ever ever be a lone striker and playing him as one will destroy him, his pace will be wasted à la Andy Johnson chasing lost causes into the corner flags or getting battered by centre halves trying to win hoof balls finding if he does win them there'll be no-one to pass to...

Gueye ? for whatever reason, DM doesn't rate him, so we can count that one out.

Vellios, despite what he has done already in the reserves, those games are a million miles away from the EPL and DM just doesn't have the MO to put untried players in.

The lack of squad size will bite and it's that small to be how badly it will bite now ? not even when it will bite.
Richard Dodd
28   Posted 25/03/2011 at 10:06:22

Gavram, I know you meant LONE striker when you referred to Beckford but I wouldn`t mind betting that by this time next season he isn`t a LOAN striker like all the others who parade their skills under this misnomer!
Gavin Ramejkis
29   Posted 25/03/2011 at 10:33:59

Well spotted Doddy, oops! It's a pity about trying to play him up front alone as it won't work and from Leeds supporter friends they said playing him off a target man got them lots of goals. We can't loan anymore players out as I don't think we've got anyone left unless we want an empty bench now.
Tony J Williams
30   Posted 25/03/2011 at 10:41:52

Just read this post, James 7. You can hardly call Fellaini injury prone. Two bad tackles have done for him in the last two seasons.
Ben Jones
31   Posted 25/03/2011 at 12:12:57

Rodwell is now injured, and it is probably gonna be Neville and Heitinga in centre mid now.

God I'm scared...
Adam Carey
32   Posted 25/03/2011 at 12:46:03

Isn't Vaughan on his way out of the club? I was under the impression this could be a loan-to-buy situation with Palace? Seeing as we're broke I can't see us messing up a potential transfer fee by putting ourselves first for a change!
Tony J Williams
33   Posted 25/03/2011 at 12:58:03

Ben, who needs the likes of Arteta and Fellaini in the middle when we have can the Rhinoesque floaty balls of Neville and the shithouse tackling of Heitinga?

I expext goals galore.... just not at the right end probably... hmmmm.
Trevor Lynes
34   Posted 25/03/2011 at 16:30:42

Andy... I thought it was as you say... But there are other loans going on and I don't know why!! If loans are not allowed for any other than goalkeepers, how come Duffy is going on loan?!! Answer that!!!
Tony J Williams
35   Posted 25/03/2011 at 16:46:34

I think it is an emergency 28-day loan to Burnley.
Les Martin
36   Posted 25/03/2011 at 17:02:36

Moyes is doing the right thing. The Championship is a rough physical league, all short back 'n' sides, no poncy pleats or maze shave haircuts there lads, it will make a man of him. Personally i think all the Prem will be after this boy in say 3 years time, he is a class act, all the attributes for a centre-half and he can pass the ball.
Tony Cheek
37   Posted 25/03/2011 at 17:27:52

Ray (#25).... brilliant!! Suddenly it all came back to me, that dream we all have, where we are sitting waiting for the game to start, and over the tannoy comes "Everton have only got ten fit players, is there anybody in the crowd who has brought his footy boots and can play a bit".... (Come on, now, you`ve all had that one!)

Well I fear that could actually happen. Polish those boots boys!!!!

Trevor Lynes
38   Posted 25/03/2011 at 18:40:34

Tony (#25)... Don't you think we have an emergency with all the injuries and loans OUT??? Now it seems we may be missing Rodwell and even Coleman.

What constitutes an emergency in your eyes????

Stephen Kenny
39   Posted 25/03/2011 at 19:44:15

Trevor,

We're not allowed to loan players in outside of the transfer window, we can loan players out. Simples.
Andy Crooks
40   Posted 25/03/2011 at 19:54:57

Les Martin, you obviously know class when you see it. You will be proven right.
Andrew Edwards
41   Posted 25/03/2011 at 21:43:26

36, class act?? I've seen him playing 4 times and I don't see it.
Trevor Lynes
42   Posted 25/03/2011 at 22:37:40

A pretty stupid comment, Steve... Burnley are loaning IN and so are many other clubs... check it OUT!!

If Burnley can loan IN for an emergency... WHY CANT WE ????

Mike Litherland
43   Posted 25/03/2011 at 23:07:48

Trevor, loans IN for Premier League clubs finished in January. For Championship clubs, the deadline is today. Simple.