Seamus

In January 2009 £60,000 was paid to Sligo Rovers in exchange for potentially the Premier League's young player of the year Seamus Coleman.

Fearless on the ball, he will run and run... and did I mention run? His low centre of gravity, pace and direction make him a nightmare for defenders when one-on-one and his crossing isn't half bad either. He sometimes shoots when he shouldn't but his decision-making will improve with age and I for one see him as our new first-choice right back either next season or the following.

It's interesting as not much was mentioned at all when we signed him and yet he has found his way into the first team and made a real impact.

I hope he is nominated for Young Player of the Year and he should be. Who knows... he might even get it! I think I speak on behalf of every Evertonian when I say the young lad deserves it.

Joshua George, Leeds     Posted 24/03/2011 at 19:10:37

Comments

Brendan O'Doherty
1   Posted 24/03/2011 at 23:28:04

Here's a pleasant little tune about our other Irish hero Seamus Coleman. Just to cheer people up,like.

Nick Entwistle
2   Posted 24/03/2011 at 23:55:04

I love the way he jinks in and around the box like an old-fashioned winger. Not sure I want him full back though, and would need someone brought in to play in front of him in a way that Ossie doesn't allow the best from him at right back.
Andrew Lawrenson
3   Posted 25/03/2011 at 03:32:18

I like the lad; I think next season he might struggle more, simply because opposition coaches will be more aware of him, but this season he is a real crowd pleaser.
Jip Foster
4   Posted 25/03/2011 at 03:34:53

Unfortunately he isn't on the shortlist for Young Player of the Year, as this article in the Guardian points out this week:

Jip Foster
5   Posted 25/03/2011 at 03:36:07

Well okay that's a bettering list, so perhaps I should still keep my fingers crossed.
Ray Roche
6   Posted 25/03/2011 at 06:18:15

It makes you realise what a load of rubbish that Young Player Award is if that's the list of candidates; Balotelli? Evans? Ramsey?Agbloodybonlahor?

It MUST be the Bookies' list and nothing to do with the Prem list.

Eugene Ruane
7   Posted 25/03/2011 at 07:00:08

Watching Coleman has been one of the very few bright spots for me recently.

I really enjoy watching him play and hope his 'just go for it' attitude isn't coached out of him.
Lee Courtliff
8   Posted 25/03/2011 at 07:47:38

Eugene ? I too am terrified that he will be "coached" into becoming another bog-standard, safety-first player. I remember how good Branch and Cadamateri looked when they first broke into the team and look at them now. Hopefully Seamus will be made of sterner stuff.

I don't believe he will be nominated for Young Player of the Year. That's for the media darlings, in fact, Jack Rodwell probably has a better chance given the way everyone raves about him. Fuck knows why. Seamus all day long for me.

Mike McIlroy
9   Posted 25/03/2011 at 07:52:31

Hey listen, keep him off that bloody list and maybe we have chance that he doesn't get snapped up by the 'big boys'. What does everyone think with Fellani and Rodwell injured? Will this put off potential suitors for another season or just drop the price??
Anthony Hughes
10   Posted 25/03/2011 at 07:58:44

Haven't seen the list but surely the flavour of the moment is Jack Wilshere?
Anthony Hughes
11   Posted 25/03/2011 at 08:01:03

Or Gareth Bale?
Chris Keightley
12   Posted 25/03/2011 at 08:37:09

By all accounts Coleman's crocked now as well ? he withdrew from the Irish squad out for 2-3 weeks.
Liam Reilly
13   Posted 25/03/2011 at 09:03:20

Would be Bale for me, with Wilshere behind him, although Seamus deserves a nomination at least.

Balotelli's nomination is scandalous, stroppy twat, can't see what they see in him. But to be honest, never expected Coleman to be in the frame in the first place, as Everton have won this award the total sum of 0 times.
David Thomas
14   Posted 25/03/2011 at 10:52:55

I like Coleman's attitude on the pitch and for £60k he has been a bargain, but in my opinion if Seamus was to win the Young Player of the Year award (as Moyes has suggested) it would be a poor reflection on the quality coming through in the Premier League.
Eamonn Turner
15   Posted 25/03/2011 at 11:20:39

Jaysus Brendan! That's brutal Mate.
Tony J Williams
16   Posted 25/03/2011 at 11:34:55

Balotelli??? How many games has he played? The fecker is so thick he can't even work out how to put on a training bib
Howard Don
17   Posted 25/03/2011 at 11:37:31

Sorry Joshua, not sure I want Seamus as first choice right back yet. Leave him where he is.
Michael Upton
18   Posted 25/03/2011 at 12:28:18

Incredibly, the odds list I saw had Rodwell and Vaughan (!!!!!!) but no Coleman. Bizarre.

Coleman has been a revelation but can't see him having a tiny chance against the likes of Bale and Wilshere. Balotelli being in there is a joke.

And let's not forget it's an award voted for by players, who're not known for being the biggest of thinkers!
Chris Fisher
19   Posted 25/03/2011 at 12:31:06

It will be one of the media darling teams' young players who gets it, Wilshere or Bale. I would be surprised if Seamus even gets a mention, two bob bastards!!!
Norman Merrill
20   Posted 25/03/2011 at 12:32:15

Joshua, The boy has got a lot more to offer, in his first season he has found a place in Evertonians hearts, and also gained a place in the Eire squad. I just hope that is progression is not blighted by injury. And he becomes a regular in Moyes's plans.
Luke O'Farrell
21   Posted 25/03/2011 at 13:50:05

He's had a great season and is progressing well.

The only downside at the moment is recently he seems to be coming inside a bit too often. The beginning of the season he was getting to the byline; creating havoc.

Nowadays, he seems to cut inside more and shoot with his, weaker, left foot. I don't know whether this is orders from the management or not...

I would like him to go back to going past full backs rather than inside as his decision making and shooting isn't the best.
Alan Bond
22   Posted 25/03/2011 at 14:40:48

Can you all please click this link below and press 'like' in the blue box if you have a facebook account and help my student 5-a-side team play at The Emirates Stadium in May. It would mean a lot. Thank you. COYB.

David McKitt
23   Posted 25/03/2011 at 14:54:31

Voted Alan, good luck!
Brian Waring
24   Posted 25/03/2011 at 14:52:29

He has been a bright spark this season, his problem is that at times he looks like a headless chicken, still on a learning curve though.

Chris (#18) whats the problem? If Bale or Wilshere win it, it will have nothing to do with being 'Media darlings' ? it will be because the two of them have been outstanding this season. Also, Henderson from Sunderland has looked good.
Stephen Kenny
25   Posted 25/03/2011 at 15:05:18

If I'm right, with a couple more goals he could be into double figures?

A remarkable return for his first season. Hopefully the next season will see a bit mopre composure in the final third and we will have a real player on our hands.
Mark Griffiths
26   Posted 25/03/2011 at 15:09:40

Just heard he is injured now!

FFS! gutted for EFC with our ever growing list of injuries and gutted for the lad, he was about to make his first senior start for ROI.
Dennis Stevens
27   Posted 25/03/2011 at 17:02:24

Does Coleman have a low centre of gravity?
Alan Bond
28   Posted 25/03/2011 at 22:25:01

Cheers, Dave, appreciate it.
Gavin Ramejkis
29   Posted 26/03/2011 at 09:33:18

Voted Alan, best of luck
Martin Paice
30   Posted 27/03/2011 at 12:10:38

Dennis 27 ? I think 'low centre of gravity' is a polite way of saying 'short'.