Members:   Log In Sign Up

Vellios and Gueye in?

Now seems to be the perfect time to introduce our newly bought assets, since we have a buttload of players out injured. With Saha and Rodwell being the latest to the list, the only clear replacements are Vellios and Gueye.

The most likely is Gueye coming in to play at left midfield or as a supporting striker, and I think he could do a great job in both roles. But he will most likely start in a left midfield role then forcing Osman in to the middle as a replacement for Rodwell. Vellios is more a back up for Beckford as he is has little experience in the Premiership.

I am is looking forward to seing both these young lads. There is something fresh, new and exciting about young talents as they tend to give it their all to impress, much like Coleman did in his first game against Spurs. They give it their all and that is precisely what we need for the next eight games!

Jimmy Sorheim, Norway     Posted 25/03/2011 at 08:17:20

Comments

Liam Reilly
1   Posted 25/03/2011 at 14:53:37

Personally, would love to see it, but it's not going to happen. Every place in the PL is worth £800k+ and there's no way a club as short as Everton will be happy to finish in the bottom half just to experiment with younger players.

They'll be lucky to get 20 minutes between them from now until the end of the season.
Chris Keightley
2   Posted 25/03/2011 at 15:01:29

Says Liam Reilly ? Gueye played for France U21s and scored recently, he is more than capable and will defo get a chance against Villa; Vellios may get a place on the bench I reckon. I too am hopeful of seeing them both for more than 20 mins.
Guy Rogers
3   Posted 25/03/2011 at 15:04:29

Moyes is more likely to re-sign David Weir on loan till the end of the season and play him in the holding midfield role, thus freeing up Osman to play on the wing.

Brian Waring
4   Posted 25/03/2011 at 15:05:56

Chris, there has been plenty of times Moyes could / should have given Gueye a chance when he has been on the bench.

Also, I will be very suprised if we see Vellios anywhere near the 1st team this season.
Liam Reilly
5   Posted 25/03/2011 at 15:09:24

Chris,
I am just stating my opinion. As Brian says, there has been ample oppertunities to play Gueye, but he has only featured in the Carling Cup and in the FA Cup when we were 5 goals up....

So when we are spanking Villa at Goodison shortly, expect to see the secret weapon.
Tony J Williams
6   Posted 25/03/2011 at 15:18:27

Vellios has yet to be on the winning side for the reserves... I think. Setting up and scoring goals in the deadhead league means nothing.

Hopefully he will be one for the future but he will not be seen much if at all this season.

Expect Bily on the left with Ossie, Neville, Cahill in the middle with Seamus on the right...... foook, he's done in so two defenders in the middle with Ossie on the right, switch with Bily throughout or even Anic (balk) ... Aniche (balk) ... no, can't even say it.
Nick Entwistle
7   Posted 25/03/2011 at 15:32:01

Dear David,

I see you have yet another of your team out till the end of the season and running low on suitable players.

As I am really good at watching Everton I know how the team plays and would like to help you out. I can play in most positions but prefer to be on the wing. You see it's getting warmer now and it's better to be closer to the water bottles.

Also, I once did a Cruyff turn and bent it round the 'keeper with my left foot in a five-a-side game so I have proven skill. I was wearing the yellow away kit with blue zig-zag at the time.

I will wait for your response eagerly.

Regards,

Nick 'Ebrell' Entwistle

Liam Reilly
8   Posted 25/03/2011 at 15:37:41

Nick,

There's nothin in your CV about defending or being a utility player, so apologies but we can't use you.

Dave
Tony J Williams
9   Posted 25/03/2011 at 15:39:10

Sorry Nick, you are over-qualified.
Jimmy Sorheim
10   Posted 25/03/2011 at 15:38:58

Good to see that others also have faith in Gueye and Vellios. There will be a good chance for Gueye to play as Moyes really doesn't have another midfield option, without putting Heitinga in who hasn't impressed anyone except in defence last year.

I also think that Vellios will be given a couple of minutes late in games when we have to try something desperate and I think he could surprise us all.

Looking forward to the Villa game cause Bily will finally get to start a game again ? as long as Rodwell and Coleman are out for that game, I mean.

Phil Rodgers
11   Posted 25/03/2011 at 15:53:39

Could we really not have got anyone in on loan in the transfer window?
Ben Jones
12   Posted 25/03/2011 at 16:10:00

Depends if Coleman is definitely out of the game. If not, then it will be a midfield of Coleman, Neville, Osman and Billy.

If he is then Billy will shift to the right and Gueye on the left, which would be a good, positive change.

Vellios might be on the bench.
Tony J Williams
13   Posted 25/03/2011 at 16:13:22

Ben, the fecken tea lady will have to be on the bench just to make the allotted 7.
Gavin Ramejkis
14   Posted 25/03/2011 at 16:22:59

DM will go for a 4-6-0 with the midfield packed with defenders and hope for a draw, even after a good game against Spurs it took months and major injuries for Coleman to get another look in. Moyes just hasn't got previous over his nine years and counting of doing something new like this.
Ben Jones
15   Posted 25/03/2011 at 16:42:46

Rather her than Anichebe, Tony.
Eugene Ruane
16   Posted 25/03/2011 at 15:58:04

Agree Jimmy.

Towards the end of last season I remember suggesting (after we were 'safe') something similar and many seemed to think that it was a huge risk.

As if with the first 11 (whoever the fuck they might be!) we were guaranteed wins and I was suggesting throwing those wins away.

Personally I believe we have as much chance of picking up points by giving a few young uns a go, as we do of going the 'dead safe' (ie: NOT dead safe) route.

My brief would be "Go out and show off, take the piss, impress me, I want the crowds hands stinging through applauding, I want to see every fucking trick in the book and shooting on sight, attack like bastards, terrify these cunts!"

(Something tells me a DM team talk would be a little... um... 'different'.)

I know there's money involved but there are also 38,000 supporters who, I'm guessing, would pass up 9th place for 11th if they could see a few things they might remember for the next 50 years.

Duncan McKenzie achieved very little in his time with us, but a couple of incredible piss-taking performances and nutmegging Tommy Smith means free pints for life when he's in the company of well-oiled blues of a certain vintage.

(More to life than Sky money, skint or not.)

By the way, please do not confuse this with me suggesting playing ALL the reserves, I know this would be a daft idea (not least as most of them are out on fucking loan).
Tony J Williams
17   Posted 25/03/2011 at 17:06:49

And also THEY haven't won a game in ages against reserve sides, Eugene.
Aidy Dews
18   Posted 25/03/2011 at 17:34:23

I wouldn't be against seeing those two given a chance in the next couple of months but, like some have said, Moyes won't do it.

Gueye especially I'd've thought would've been given a go sooner but Moyes is obviously holding back for a reason... but for what reason I haven't got a clue?

And did anyone watch the mini derby last night? That Vellios kid looked pretty decent, had a good touch and his link-up play and awareness was good as well but for a tall lad, he isn't that great in the air.

Watching him last night, he reminded me of Crouch with his touch and clever awerness and link up play but even though he wasn't great in the air, he was still better than Crouch; Vellios could be well involved with the first team squad come next season IMO.
Jimmy Sorheim
19   Posted 25/03/2011 at 18:25:06

As people in here have pointed out, there does not seem to be a "great" chance of any new blood coming in, even with all these injuries. I myself can't remember the last time he went with a new youngster since Coleman against Spurs last year. That seems to prove that Moyes is burned out in a way because I remember him trying lots of different young players, like Rooney, Gosling, Rodwell and Vaughan. It shows he has lost a spark in that area. I think he should give us something to look forward to next season, and a good performance from Gueye and Vellios could do just that!
Eugene Ruane
20   Posted 25/03/2011 at 18:48:38

Tony - not really surprising the reserves don't win many if every week someone leaves on loan.

We (I think) currently have 11 out on loan. (Fuck me, it's like Escape to Victory or those East European defections that were popular in the 70s.)

To be honest, I'm rather confused about which Everton players actually play for Everton these days.

"Why don't we give X a chance?"

"Er... we can't lad, he's on loan at Burnley (Hull/Liecester/Fulchester") etc etc.

Anyway, as we got a 2-2 against the other shower at their place last night, we obviously still have one or two left we could give a run out to.
Daniel J Johnson
21   Posted 25/03/2011 at 19:14:58

'My brief would be "Go out and show off, take the piss, impress me, I want the crowd's hands stinging through applauding, I want to see every fucking trick in the book and shooting on sight, attack like bastards, terrify these cunts!".'

Possibly the most cretinous thing I've read all weak. Thank Christ us fans don't have a hand in managing the club, we'd be relegated by October.
Stephen Kenny
22   Posted 25/03/2011 at 19:38:04

Daniel j,

Crab like footie by the slow pass masters obviously gets your juices flowing.

There is another type of football out there beyond the walls of 4-5-1 y'know.
Eugene Ruane
23   Posted 25/03/2011 at 20:10:27

Jesus some people just beg for it.

Daniel J Johnson, regarding my team-talk, you say..

"Possibly the most cretinous thing I've read all weak"

Really?

Well I can only guess that you haven't read your spelling of the word 'week'.

Here's a tip, before you use the big words, learn to spell the little ones.

(I WILL accept a typo, but only if you had all your fingers cut off and had Cumberland Sausage transplants - dummkopf!)

Alex Buckley
24   Posted 25/03/2011 at 19:35:29

We are fast running out of options, maybe the fact we?ve played the least amount of players in the league has contributed to the current mess we find ourselves in.

Gueye will now surely get his chance even if he?s only coming on from the bench, Vellios will no doubt be sat next to him cause who else is there?

I?ve asked the question on a previous post about getting JV back from his loan at Palace. Surely we placed a condition in his contact for him to be recalled & if not, someone?s accountable and needs shooting.
Jay Harris
25   Posted 25/03/2011 at 21:27:52

I hate to say it but expect to see Wes fucking Brown on loan with a view to him being a downpayment on Rodwell in the summer.

In the meantime:

Howard
Hibbo Jags Distin Bainesy
Cahill/Bily Neville Heitinga Osman
Anichebe Beckford

Perfect for 0 - 0 or 1 - 0.
Colin O'Keeffe
26   Posted 25/03/2011 at 23:12:02

What have you been smoking? Davie give Vellios or Guyue a run out? Not on my watch Davie will be thinking.

I think Jay is close there with that team (#25). But I can't see Moyes starting with Beckford and Anichebe up front in a 4-4-2. Bily should start in front of Anichebe and play in the hole behind Beckford ? push Cahill back into central midfield with Heitinga and shunt Neville out to the right. There's no way Bily can play wide, so just give him one chance at least in a central role ? hardly a huge risk if the rest of the team is top heavy with defenders.
Ernie Baywood
27   Posted 26/03/2011 at 00:05:27

Gueye looked exciting in pre-season, but then so did Anichebe.

I'd love to see young players given a go but, for all I know, they could be shit. Of more interest against Villa is what Moyes will do with Bily. He's got no choice but to play him... does he know how to use him? I reckon that, as much as anything else, will show our manager's abilities.
Jalil Noor
28   Posted 26/03/2011 at 02:32:10

Somehow I have a strong feeling Anichebe will start against Villa.

Andrew Lawrenson
29   Posted 26/03/2011 at 05:20:59

In response to No 28 ? Moyes will probably make him captain!!!!!!
Paul Gladwell
30   Posted 26/03/2011 at 08:19:51

How can people get excited and scream for the introduction of two lads who have less experience than someone playing for FC Wimbledon?
The Premier League is the hardest league to adapt to in the world and Moyes knows what he sees every day in training; although it would be nice to see something new come through, let's get safe first... because we are not yet.
Richard Dodd
31   Posted 26/03/2011 at 10:10:14

Jay has got it spot on. Anichebe will start wide right, thus allowing Davey to go with his tried and tested one up front. Don`t be surprised to see subs on only to kill time. After all, it`s only Houllier`s Villa we`re playing ? no contest, you`ll see.
Robert Pierpoint
32   Posted 26/03/2011 at 13:57:06

I understand loaning out young players (Duffy) to Championship teams ? that would be great experience for him ? but what irritates me is Joao Silva. This is a Portuagal U21 striker. Now he may not be ready for the first team (anyone any ideas?) but he has been sent back to Portugal on loan.

Surely Preston would have wanted him? We should be sending these young players to clubs in the Championship, getting them used to both English football and English culture. How is Silva going to improve ready for the first team if he is being sent back home at the first opportunity?
Daniel J Johnson
33   Posted 26/03/2011 at 16:07:48

Eugene, why do you choose to pick on a frivolous mistake as a way of responding to my criticism? Is it a sign that you have no response? Then again you only have to check out the Youtube video comment sections to find out that people argue of grammar and ethnicity as opposed to the video itself.

ps: The most important word in there was 'cretinous' and the main thing is I managed to spell that correctly.
Michael Kenrick
34   Posted 26/03/2011 at 17:13:08

"11 players out on loan" ? I can only come up with nine. Who am I missing?
Eugene Ruane
35   Posted 26/03/2011 at 18:51:38

Daniel J Johnson.

You ask why I chose to pick on a frivolous mistake as a way of responding to your criticism.

Well first of all it wasn't a 'frivolous mistake', it was a mistake (if you can tell me what a frivolous mistake actually is, I'd LOVE to know).

A mistake I might have ignored...had you not been such a prick in the first place.

But as you ask, here's why.

Because your 'criticism' was NOT a criticism, it was an insult, pure and simple.

A criticism would have been to have explained WHY you thought my opinion wrong - you didn't.

A criticism would have been to explain WHY you thought an out-and-out attacking side containing a few (young) reserves was SO wrong - you didn't.

Instead you simply just labelled it 'cretinous'.

It was YOU who 'gave it the youtube'.

By the way, that's absolutely fine with me, not a problem.

But don't then come on here whining like a big soft tart when I respond in kind.

Give an insult, get an insult - that's fair enough isn't it?

In fact while I'm here, I'll respond to this.

"Then again you only have to check out the Youtube video comment sections to find out that people argue of grammar and ethnicity as opposed to the video itself".

'People argue of grammar'?

Sorry, but every time you write, you dig yourself in deeper.

That paragraph looks it was constructed by an insane, drunk, blind ape.

But please, keep 'em coming!
Chad Schofield
36   Posted 27/03/2011 at 13:42:05

I had hoped to see Gueye early on in the season... but oh well.

Personally if (and it's not a small one) we have to play Big Vic then I'd prefer to see our very own insane, drunk, blind ape (nothing to do with race) on the wing rather than sucking up front.
Daniel J Johnson
37   Posted 27/03/2011 at 14:23:47

I will admit Eugene that I failed to elaborate on my issue with your post. I just think that it fits into the idea that every fan thinks they know best. Clearly telling your team to "go out and take the piss" and "I want to see every trick in the book" would result in a completely undisciplined performance and probably a loss in most games.

I think you'd agree that footie (especially at the top level) is an organised and rigid game that requires a lot of work on and off the training ground. Look at Blackpool ? yes, they play some great football without fear but the way in which they defend is an absolute shambles, and could very well result in them being relegated this year.

Everton have better players, but certainly at the moment, with all the injuries, grinding out results seems sensible. Man Utd have spent most of this season doing as much and they have a far more expensive group of players.

Not sure you'd be so happy if we were playing enterprising football in the Championship.

Feel free to scrutinise my grammar and spelling once more, old chap.

Daniel J Johnson
38   Posted 27/03/2011 at 14:33:59

By the way:

Frivolous ? a: of little weight or importance.

Just thought that I'd clear that up fella.
Eugene Ruane
39   Posted 27/03/2011 at 19:35:02

Daniel - what a frivolous response...'fella'.