No first team

Looking at the official club page squad, the problem we have is alarming now. If ? and that's an if ? injuries do not recover for the Villa game next week, then we do not have enough players to field a team. As it stands right now the team next week will be:

Howard Hibbert Distin Jagielka Baines Heitinga Osman Bilyaletdinov Anichebe Beckford

That is still missing one player. Chances are either Neville or Cahill will be back by then but, if not, what are we going to do? Even if one of them does return, do you have any faith of a result in that team? With potentially 2 defenders as our midfield, we will not only lack creativity but pretty much be forced to long ball it to Beckford for 90 mins!
Chris Ashton, Liverpool     Posted 25/03/2011 at 18:09:57

Comments

Lynn Thorne
1   Posted 26/03/2011 at 06:39:39

Heard that Anichebe is a doubt too. But didn't Neville and Cahill play against Fulham? Mind you ? don't think Cahill is fit and won't be until he can get some proper rest, ie, next season.
Alex Buckley
2   Posted 26/03/2011 at 06:47:00

Anichebe is the one player you wouldn't mind out for the season!

Gueye will hopefully get his chance.
Chris Bannantyne
3   Posted 26/03/2011 at 07:25:24

Yeh, I just did a count also, same result. Best case scenario there is one substitution that has played more than 15 mins first grade.

Looks like we will HAVE to see some of these new lads. I like Gueye, from what I saw in Australia. Good luck to them, but it doesn't look particularly good for us!
Alex Buckley
4   Posted 26/03/2011 at 08:26:33

Howard
Hibbert Distin Jagielka Baines
Osman Heitinga Neville Bily/Gueye
Cahill/Bily
Beckford
Andy Mack
5   Posted 26/03/2011 at 09:14:43

And just as we were pulling away from the relegation scrap.

Trying to find a silver lining, it'll give us an inkling of how the team might preform if we were forced to sell our asset players to pay off a big hunk of debt. Would we still be left with a team capable of staying in the Prem? With about £60M+ of bankable talent unavailable, we're about to find out.

Andy Codling
6   Posted 26/03/2011 at 09:39:14

Well, this is what happens when you sell players and don't replace them.
Norman Merrill
7   Posted 26/03/2011 at 09:57:09

The Villa and Wolves games would have been a hard task with a full squad; with the Internationals taking place this next ten days, let's hope that we don't fall foul of any more injuries. David Moyes and his backroom staff may end up playing themselves.
Richard Dodd
8   Posted 26/03/2011 at 10:06:21

Put your money on the Blues, whatever the team. Villa are in total disaray!
Gavin Ramejkis
9   Posted 26/03/2011 at 10:23:32

Nice optimism Doddy, but two things Everton will always do:

1. Break your heart;

2. (This season:) Blow home bankers.
Chris Bannantyne
10   Posted 26/03/2011 at 11:12:36

Even if we had a fully fit squad, I don't think I would be putting any substantial amount of money on Everton. The way this season has been going there is no such thing as a "sure thing".

I would like to retain a positive outlook, and hope some of these young guys can step up to the plate, but it would be stupid to bet on it!
James Stewart
11   Posted 26/03/2011 at 14:43:41

That midfield is probably one of the worst I have seen since the dross Smith churned out. We really are down to the bare bones. Bily has to be the playmaker in central mid for me.
Kieran Kinsella
12   Posted 26/03/2011 at 14:48:33

What difference does it make? Doddy and BK have us happily set as a mediocre mid-table team with no chance of trophies or Europe so, as long as we're safe from the drop, the likes of them do not care about our results.
Michael Kenrick
13   Posted 26/03/2011 at 16:53:57

Kieran, you just nailed it for me. And Doddy's stupid posts only serve to underline how pathetic we have become. How he can be so gleeful watching this happen is just sickening.
Ben Jones
14   Posted 26/03/2011 at 17:24:08

Is it not worth just trying something different and giving the youngsters a chance? Like Kieran said, it doesnt make a difference.

Gueye on the left and Billy in the middle for me. Neville hold and Ossie on the right. Also, does anyone know how bad Coleman's injury is?
Jimmy Sorheim
15   Posted 26/03/2011 at 17:55:41

Both Neville and Cahill will be availeble to face Villa. No worries on these two. Saha is defenetly out, as is Rodwell. Arteta is a major doubt. Coleman has a outside chance, but he will likely be in the squad. Gueye makes the bench.
Martin Hughes
16   Posted 26/03/2011 at 18:44:14

Bring on the youngsters and let them be counted! Surely Moyes bought them for the future; use and and blood them now so they will be ready for next season. COYB ? In Moyes We Trust
Dave Wilson
17   Posted 26/03/2011 at 19:16:39

Michael / Keiran

This is driving me nuts, I feel like there`s a whole army of blues out there that I dont know about. When you say "them" who do you mean?

I can see Kenwright breathing a sigh of relief for obvious reasons, but who are these other people who are "happy with just being safe from the drop"? Do they come on here? Are they in the alehouses? Where are they?
Everywhere I go, I meet bemused Evertonians asking each other wtf is going on.

Richard Dodd is a bit of a one-off, he either has the ability to take a positive out of just about every situation in life, or he is a wind-up merchant of rare talent.

If its the latter, half the people on this site are biting, biting to the extent of believing there's an army of people who will celebrate mediocrity... but come on Guys, does that sound like any Evertonian you know?
Richard Dodd
18   Posted 26/03/2011 at 20:08:05

Of course I`m not happy with mediocrity but I am a realist who happens to enjoy following Everton ? whether 8th or 18th. I`ve had a season ticket since my 16th birthday in 1992 and over nearly twenty years have only the FA Cup win in 1995 to show for it by way of trophies.

Our Prem positions up to the arrival of David Moyes were pathetic with relegation always seeming inevitable. Like any other supporter of my age, I`ve never known us have real success and have thus grown not to expect it. But, forever the optimist, I take what I can from seeing us nearer top than bottom and try to encourage others to see the blue glass half full rather than half empty.

Call me stupid as you do,Michael, but I support the cause for good or ill!

Phil Bellis
19   Posted 26/03/2011 at 20:28:09

Dave,
Like you're finding, most Blues I meet in the pub, in work etc are really dissatisfied and, to be honest, angry (especially the over-35s), with the state we're in and the continuing mediocrity at Board level. "Outspent by Blackpool and Canvey Isalnd", "don't believe we're a less attractive proposition than Blackburn" etc. But at the match... no "Kenwright Out" banners, no "Where's The Money Gone" chants, no surrounding the Directors' box... Walking out quietly after 1-6 and 1-4 thrashings... You'd think we'd just watched a boring film

Could it be that as the older match-goers (those who've seen great Everton teams) fall away, the post-Sky fans who have never known success, are just glad, like this Board, to stay in the Prem?

"At least we're not fighting relegation every year" ? scuse me, how often is that in over 125 years?

"That's Howard got the record for clean sheets in a season" ? scuse me, what about Gordon West's record?

"Mr" John must be turning in his grave...

Michael Kenrick
20   Posted 26/03/2011 at 21:04:27

Dave Wilson, without wasting my valuable time scratching around to cite them, chapter and verse, I have the distinct impression that there are a fair number of contributors to this website, including your good self, who will lambast the critics and make all manner of excuses (many of them made up) for our parlous state, when my sense is that most right-thinking Evertonians feel justifiable indignation at the failings of Kenwright or Moyes or the players or any combination thereof, for the situation we find ourselves in.

Doddy plays his "young supporter" card (35!?!) in the mistaken recollection that, before Moyes, things were pathetic with relegation always seeming inevitable. Well it never happened, Richard, so it was far from inevitable.

But that is really not the point: forget history, the point is looking at what we actually had now, this season, even after supposedly three seasons of non-investment ? we still had what most recognoized to be a good team on paper. You seem to have forgotten that Moyes utterly failed to get them playing properly until the injuries really started to bite and ? surprise, surprise ? at that stage, he apparently started reeling in clubs managed by people who are not so familiar to Premier League waters, he knows he merely has to stick to "The Plan"... ? what a load of unadulterated garbage.

Moyes has let us down seriously these past two seasons. But the poor state of mid-table Premier League football, combined with a backs-to-the-wall kick up the arse for this next-to-useless manager, has enabled your beloved local journeymen to put together something approaching a run when the squad is on its arse... and you're both happy as pigs in shit.

I rest my case.

Phil Bellis
21   Posted 26/03/2011 at 21:06:55

Head and brick wall spring to mind, Michael.

Mr Dodd: you not only accept mediocrity, you embrace it, rejoice in it...

I'm ashamed of, and for, you.
James Flynn
22   Posted 26/03/2011 at 23:21:02

What a nonsense debate about Moyes's tactics.

We don't have a predator. Simple as that. Moyes has nothing to do with that. Does anyone here think Moyes would have Rooney and Ruud forward and tell them to "Track back constantly lads"?

He plays the hand dealt and plays it well. We don't have finishers. They cost money or you trip and fall over them when they're young. Like Ferguson with Ronaldo. DIdn't cost that much, did it, to sign Ronaldo.
Chris Bannantyne
23   Posted 27/03/2011 at 00:44:05

Michael is right.

I'm a young Evertonian (22) and have never known success in the way of trophies.

But I love my team, I know my history, and I know that the current board is failing or has already failed in just about every aspect of club related business.

I do not think our current situation is acceptable. I am not a glory seeker, I do not expect silverware every season. I DO expect a board and a Manager that will drive us forward, however, and not fail us at every opportunity.

I will love this club forever, through relegation if it happens, and because of this love I will always attack those whose ineptitude is driving us down.

Kenwright is a dickhead, and Richard Dodd is a lunatic for supporting him.
Dave Wilson
24   Posted 27/03/2011 at 06:14:34

Happy Michael?

If you know of any happy Evertonians, I can only assume you move in very different circles to me.

Sure, I`m pleased to see local boys do well, it makes me proud... what's wrong with that?

I guess it comes down to whether you believe Moyes to be one of the the reasons of our current situation or merely the guy trying to manage it.
James Hollister
25   Posted 27/03/2011 at 06:49:41

There always has to be apologists... mediocrity is the kingpin with these soothsayers or nutcases.
Dave Wilson
26   Posted 27/03/2011 at 06:44:26

Phil (21)

I`m really not sure where you are coming from, being "ashamed" of, or for anybody. The guy is a passionate blue, do you want him silenced beause his opinion differs from your?

Why not educate him, Phil? Don't tell him what's unacceptable, show him. Instead of continually calling for action why not instigate it?

Before you attack fellow blues for accepting mediocrity, it may be prudent to ask yourself if you are not one of them.

Coming on TW to attack fellow blues will not get the job done.
Eugene Ruane
27   Posted 27/03/2011 at 09:34:46

TW 2014.

"No of COURSE I'm not happy being in the Championship, but blaming Moyes isn't going to get anywh....."

Shudders.
Dave Wilson
28   Posted 27/03/2011 at 10:06:10

TW 2011

"I found the root of ALL our problems" its all "their" fault..."They" err voted for this.

"50,000 of us Evertonians have to stand by as Richard Dodd single handedly destroys the club with his cheery post.

"It's his fault we are ashamed of ourselves for doing nothing."

Sinks to new depths of despair.
David Hallwood
29   Posted 27/03/2011 at 12:56:21

Nice one, Richard Dodd#18; what he is showing is unswerving loyalty to his team and it's a case of 'my team right or wrong' and I know more Evertonians (in fact football supporters in general) of his persuasion than the more erm... erudite supporters like Michael Kenrick. And as for the ?young supporter? card, well surely it?s better than the ?this team is battling relegation, I think I?ll support the Norwegian Shite card?

The fact is, unlike Michael & me, Richard started supporting Everton at a time when it would?ve been easier and probably more fun supporting Man U or the RS or the Russian shite. FFS give the man some credit.
Phil Bellis
30   Posted 27/03/2011 at 12:37:52

Dave, How rude! Who are you to dictate how I think and act? ? don't be so pretentious and patronising.

All an individual can do as legal protest, now AGMs are banned, is stop going; the club know this and also know the vast majority of us are inured and daft enough to keep turning up. This constant attendance is, I presume, seen by the Board as tacit support.

Tell you what, David, let's meet up at the Villa game, march onto the pitch, stand in front of the Directors' Box and rip up our "early-bird" renewal forms ? that'd be a decent protest but I doubt we'd get as far as the touchline... Anything else legal you'd care to put forward?

As for Doddy, he doesn't need your defending him from attacks; this is the person who called Christine Foster a "conspiracy freak". He can spout all the "god bless yer guv'nor" crap he likes ? I don't want him stopped; simply his Everton is not my Everton and whether or not he is passionate counts for nowt with me.
By his own admission he knows about and cares only for the present. He isn't alone; I've actually heard (and argued against) "we were worse under Walter", "at least it was Arsenal", "Bill's broke ? can't blame him" exiting Goodison. It's this mind-set amongst some that is a cause of our current problems.

Rest assured (as Doddy says), my annual begging letters to Macca and Lord Grantchester are in the post.

David Hallwood
31   Posted 27/03/2011 at 13:24:44

Phil Bellis (#31) are you referring to my post, David Hallwood (#29) or Dave Wilson (#28)? The world is full of Daves and you need to be specific and put the post number.
John Crook
32   Posted 27/03/2011 at 13:40:42

Assuming no more injuries during the international break, the team will probably look like:

GK Howard
RB Hibbert
CD Jagielka
CD Distin
LB Baines
RM Anichebe
CM Neville
CM Heitinga
LM Osman
A Cahill
CF Beckford

Subs: Mucha Bily Mustafi Gueye Vellios and a couple of other reserve team players. What a strong bench, eh????

Phil Bellis
33   Posted 27/03/2011 at 13:47:08

Sorry, Mr Hallwood, I can't imagine you being pretentious. My reply was to Mr Wilson who felt I was attacking Doddy and should, instead, form a one-man action committee. I shall in future, when not blatently obvious, reply using the post number.
Dave Wilson
34   Posted 27/03/2011 at 14:43:27

Phil Bellis.

I didn't try to dictate anything, read the post fella.

"Why not..." I said; it was an invitation, a suggestion. A response to your post (#19) where you were clearly frustrated wIth the lack of action.

You are perfectly at liberty to do as you please.
Mark Murphy
35   Posted 27/03/2011 at 17:55:56

So Richard Dodd is 35?

Am i the only one who thought he must be about 60?

No offence intended btw.
Michael Kenrick
36   Posted 27/03/2011 at 20:21:29

I don't believe it either, Mark, but why do you say 60?

Yes, it's usually the old blokes who don't seem to get this idea about putting a space in after each fullstop... (I didn't realise it was such a new convention) but, apart from that, his offhand dismissal of Everton History and all its inspiring trappings surely marks him out as the perfect child of the Sky Premier League? I would have said 22 at the most.
Phil Bellis
37   Posted 27/03/2011 at 20:31:43

Thanks Dave (#34)
Very gracious
Roy Coyne
38   Posted 27/03/2011 at 20:23:16

Doddy I have been lucky enough to have seen us win quite a few things my first being in 1963 and it is soul destroying watching the farce that our club has become.
Andrew James
39   Posted 27/03/2011 at 20:10:52

@Mark (35)

I thought the same. He certainly doesn't talk like any 35-year-olds I know. What next? Tony Marsh comes on and reveals he's just left school?

I would have gone for the incomparable Eugene but he posted something recently that suggested he had more stamps in his passport than Phileas Fogg!
Michael Evans
40   Posted 27/03/2011 at 20:58:26

Richard Dodd does spark some fierce reactions, doesn't he ?

I agree with Dave Wilson he may be "a wind-up merchant of rare talent" . If so, the continual "rise" he gets out of so many will merely fuel his desire to continue. He may even drive MK to banning him on the basis that he offers nothing to the debate.

However, something bothers me here.

I first saw Evertyon play on Martin Dobson's debut (1974 ?). I was told all about Everton's fantastic history by my Dad but had to endure mediocre players and mediocre teams for the next 10 years.

Despite all the unmerciful piss taking and abuse from Shropshire school mates and then work colleagues I continued supporting them.

I told people that no matter how bad they were I WOULD CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THEM. So I told them to continue with their abuse, do their worse because I couldn't give a shit.

Which brings me back to Richard Dodd.

What if he isn't a piss taker or wind-up merchant ? What if as he says he's just trying to make the best of his Everton experience on the basis that he's never known the club to be successful ?

If TW is the broad church we would all like it to be then there is just as much a place for the Richard Dodds as there is for the Tony Marshs.

There might be much which divides the TW "congregation" but the fact that we all share a love for the Club should ensure that we are capable of showing one another some basic respect.

Gavin Ramejkis
41   Posted 27/03/2011 at 22:15:09

Michael #40, can I stop you there about mediocre players and teams from eary 70s through to HK's greatest mid 80s, the 70s had some bloody good players and games, we didn't win a title but we were bloody good value for money. Despite Gordon Lee getting shut of McKenzie I still had good memories of seeing Dunc turning players inside out, Andy King's screamer past the RS after what seemed an eternity of losing to them and big bad Bob's thirty, Dave Thomas crossing balls for fun and many more decent memories.
Tom Bowers
42   Posted 28/03/2011 at 00:59:39

Chris,do you really want to lose sleep over who we have left to complete the final games. Moyes doesn't want to play youngsters. No matter how inconsistant some players have been they always get the nod ahead of some of the prospects we have in reserve. Now Duffy has been sent on loan. Is he not worth a run out. What about Baxter and Gueye?
We are now scraping some results together but losing players all over the place. The villa game will be tough as they are falling down the table so don't be surprised if we do not win with the team we have to put out.