Russian swap?

Having watched the Irish game last night, I got to thinking...

With Aiden McGeady unhappy in Moscow and our Diniyar Bilyaletdinov unhappy on the bench and unable to cut it in England, surely we should be looking at a swap?

No club outside of Russia is going to rate Bily highly enough to fork out the sort of cash Moyes would want for him. I see he came off the bench for Russia last night and if we leave him to rot on the bench for another season he will lose all his potential worth.

Now I like Bily, I think he gets a bad deal from our fans. I sit in the Park End and it only takes one poor pass for the majority around me to get on his case. But I also understand why: he is very frustrating.

So why McGeady? More pace than Bily, a more natural winger than Bily, a better workrate than Bily, has more tricks to get around a full back and although he might not get as many goals as Bily, he would be better suited to the pace of the EPL.

Being Irish and naturally following Celtic too, I have seen McGeady play for long enough to think that this deal would make sense. Of course Moyes doesn't scour Toffeeweb looking for transfer tips (although he could do worse) but I would love to mention this one to him.

McGeady went to Spartak for £6 million, Billy cost us £10 million (allegedly)... I think a straight swap would suit both.

And while I'm at it; Shane Long anyone??!!
Niall Clinton, London     Posted 27/03/2011 at 14:07:11

Comments

Larry Boner
1   Posted 27/03/2011 at 15:30:01

There is currently not one person, with the common sense, wherewithall, or business acumen to do anything close to a mutual beneficial swap deal for players.

We are, without doubt, the most pathetic bunch of hopeless amateurs it has ever been my misfortune to be involved with. Even the most simple of extensions to the back of the Stanley Park end is beyond this witless group of morons.

Mr Moyes has clearly, for a number of years, required the support of a wheeler dealer type, you know the guy who can say "Look David, I can get Charlie Adam for blah, blah, blah"... But, instead, we career blindly on, until we come to the present, skeleton squad, that will certainly lose, by league position, the money it would have taken to bring in Hamill, or Sturridge.

There must be a hidden agenda here, surely? Nobody is that fucking stupid to allow a club like Everton to sink into the mire, in the richest league in the world? Or am I being too critical as my renewal forms go through the shredder?

Andy Riley
2   Posted 27/03/2011 at 15:39:12

I think this could be a good idea. I believe in the summer there needs to be a drastic turnover of the playing staff, whether Moyes stays or goes, and/or whether we get rid of BK. The time has come for a rebuild of the squad. I see a Rodwell / Welbeck exchange deal is being mooted in some papers ? if they threw in Darren Gibson as well we should snap their hands off!
Chris Butler
3   Posted 27/03/2011 at 15:43:55

Having watched Spartak Moscow v Ajax, it's easy to see why he did so well in Russia. In Russia, players just have far more time on the ball to create a pass. English football just doesn't afford that type of time on the ball.

Personally, I agree with Larry that Darren Gibson would be great for Everton, he's the missing piece of the jigsaw. Whether Welbeck is good enough, I don't know. Don't know where than Frazier Campbell went either. Fellaini always showed some promise when he played. Bily, like nearly every Russian player, even Arshavin, shows touches of genius but, for 95% of the time, is useless.

Robert Pierpoint
4   Posted 27/03/2011 at 16:01:27

Since when was McGeady unhappy in Moscow? Only two months ago, there was an interview where he was recommending moving abroad to other players.

Good player, and hope he sticks it out in another culture. There was talk that Zenit wanted to take him. Plus, his wages are massive in Russia. They would totally eclipse our structure, I would have thought.
Antony Matthews
5   Posted 27/03/2011 at 15:58:24

Andy ? Knowing whiskey nose, he will offer us Owen Hargreaves, Michael Owen, and Old Man Scholes, The only one I would take is Gibson too.
Mike Gwyer
6   Posted 27/03/2011 at 16:03:34

Hey Larry.

I thought I was reading a pile of tripe when going through your response but, after a second read I began to get the jist. Fuck..... being an Evertonian is nothing but pure drama, I guess only Everton can drag defeat from a most wonderful victory.

Anyway, things are already pointing to an eventful summer ? I guess we will see good players go and either shite has-beens or just shite players coming in. Mr Blue will bank the cash, Moyes will probably fuck off and we can continue to wank our selves off at the pure shite walking out at GP.
John Keating
7   Posted 27/03/2011 at 16:07:54

Sorry Niall. If you think the fans get on to Bily for ONE poor pass, then you must have some serious obstructed views in the Park End. Bily has been given more than enough chances and has fucked up every one. People say he's not played in his right position. That may well be the case. But it's no reason why the prick can't pass straight!! Sorry but he will never cut it here regardless where he plays and whoever he plays for.

As for McGeady, a poor man's Theo Walcott. I saw him regularly playing for Celtic. Definitely bamboozled defenders running at pace; unfortunately he was still running at pace, dribbling and bamboozling in the penalty area after leaving the ball at the half-way line!! Sorry... if he was any good, he wouldn't be where he is.

Chris Bannantyne
8   Posted 27/03/2011 at 16:20:00

This summer is going to be the shittiest of the past 5-10 years methinks. I'm expecting a fair few out, not much in (at least in terms of quality anyway).

The manager could also be out the door, with reports now of Tottenham and Villa showing interest.

I don't think Moyes is the most brilliant of managers, but I don't see how we could get anyone better given our financial status.

I am already crossing my fingers that we don't have a big jump ship of our best players only to left with a Championship manager and Championship footballers.

I just hope there is a decent sheikh on the horizon, holding a cheque with EFC written on it!
Steve Collins
9   Posted 27/03/2011 at 16:31:53

Niall, McGeady is overrated and quite frankly a Championship player. Just because he scored for us last night doesn't mean he is fantastic, all of a sudden. When he played in Scotland he looked good because the opposition he played against were generally poor. if he was that good, other Prem teams would have made serious moves for him but instead he ended up in Moscow. 37 appearances for Ireland and only 1 goal ? not exactly a good return for an attacking midfielder/winger.

Also, his inability to cross a decent ball is madness. He cuts inside all of the time. His shot is weak most of the time also.
Jeff Armstrong
10   Posted 27/03/2011 at 16:49:29

I would take McGeady over Bily anytime... even if he is "Championship class" or "Scots Premier class", he would be a far better option than what the Russian currently seves up!

No heart, misplaced passes, game-watching, no pace, never wants the ball, doesn't matter if he played 20 yards further in from the wide position, all the above would still apply.

David Thomas
11   Posted 27/03/2011 at 17:08:44

Darren Gibson is not going to improve Everton. Yes, he has got a good shot on him but watch the rest of his game and see what he contributes.
Jamie Barlow
12   Posted 27/03/2011 at 17:09:39

Agree with John @7. Bily has had enough chances. Get rid as soon as and throw in that Dutch prick with him. Good riddance to both.
Brian Waring
13   Posted 27/03/2011 at 18:01:40

Darren Gibson is shite! And so is Wes Brown.
Paul Ellam
14   Posted 27/03/2011 at 18:41:54

Agree that the squad needs a major overhaul. In my opinion, we should sell the fringe players who have had enough chances to impress and failed (Vaughan, Anichebe, Bilyaletdinov) and the ones who don't want to play for us anymore (Heitinga, Yobo and Yakubu). With the money made from these sales, we should buy at least one quality striker and look to bring in cover at left wing and left back. Easier said than done though, obviously!
Andrew Ellams
15   Posted 27/03/2011 at 18:51:42

Jamie @12, be careful when mentioning a player's nationality. You might find yourself with a 3 year ban
Colin Ryan
16   Posted 27/03/2011 at 18:57:38

Why would any sane Everton fan want Darren Gibson? I've watched him for Ireland and Man U numerous times and he's shocking. Last night he was slightly better than average but the majority of Irish fans think Glenn Whelan is better. Now that says it all.

As for summer, it's time for a major overhaul. Out goes Rodwell, Fellaini, Bily, Heitinga, Yak, Yobo, Vaughan which should bring in £60m if the figures bandied about for Rodwell and Fellaini are correct.

I actually haven't a clue who to bring in but definitely not Gibson.

Trevor Mackie
17   Posted 27/03/2011 at 19:02:03

Surely we should be holding fire until Moyes goes to Villa, maybe the new guy will get the missing 30% out of the players we've got.
Gavin Ramejkis
18   Posted 27/03/2011 at 19:41:07

McGeady left Glasgow as he was always getting the shit kicked out of him on nights out trying to be the big man, had a massive fall out with Strachan over it. The SPL is no great shakes and the Russian league is his level.

As for Gibson, seen him more internationals than for Man U and he's average at best, Wes Brown is old and shite.
Michael Kenrick
19   Posted 27/03/2011 at 20:00:49

Judging by today's (cough) *football*, I think there's a perfect job awaiting Moyes north of the border.... Scotland Manager! What could possibly be more perfect?

On a related point, I can't believe we don't have a single Scot in the squad. Surely there was an incredible period of years when there was always at least one Scot in the Everton squad? Who was the last? McFadden? Naysmith? Be funny if 'twas Moyes himself who broke that particular mould.

ps: Was it me or did Adam have an absolute mare? Perhaps a cunning ploy to dissuade the Sky 4 from swooping...

Disclaimer: Any possibly xenophopic overtones contained in this post are subtle at best and should not be construed as racially aggravating under Section 28 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998.

Seamus McCrudden
20   Posted 27/03/2011 at 20:10:53

David Thomas, you are 100% correct, Gibson only has a shot, the rest of his game is extremely poor. Personally I cant believe he gets anywhere near the Man Utd team or Ireland for that matter.
Iain Love
21   Posted 27/03/2011 at 21:06:01

Bily is obviously not suited to the prem, it doesn't mean he's shite, look at others who didn't cut it in England, Forlan, Veron for example. Mcgready will not improve our team nor would Gibson.
What i'd like to see is sell him for say £7mill buy Krancjar for £3mill and stick a £4mill bid in for Boltons Kevin Davis, i know i know but look at how we play at least he can hold the ball up, and we wont get a decent striker for that money.
Chris Bannantyne
22   Posted 27/03/2011 at 21:41:37

Sell the whole squad, buy the entire Blackpool squad and manager plus a few decent players.

At least there will be entertainment each week.
Andy Crooks
23   Posted 27/03/2011 at 22:49:50

I think I have watched more Irish football than is good for anyone. I have evangelised for a long time over Seamus and Shane, Darren Gibson is not in the same league as either of those lads. To demonstrate that I am not a biased Blue I would urge David Moyes to look at the Irish Celtic lads, McCourt and McGinn. They are worth taking a chance on.
I have grave reservations about David Moyes but his ability to turn the odd rough diamond into a gem is what he is good at. McGinn is it. Dave Wilson, you don't rate Coleman or McGinn, believe ,Dave, I have seen them enough to know.
Brendan O'Doherty
24   Posted 28/03/2011 at 00:40:20

Mc Geady: From where has this rumour come that he is unhappy in Moscow? His move to Moscow has been the making of him. Yes at Celtic he was running into blind alleys and failing to deliver the end product, but since his move he has looked a much more complete player. He has done well in the Spartak Europa League games I have seen this season, and last night looked absolutely superb. One particular piece of control when he killed the pace of a long pass to him was right out of the Rooney top drawer. His final ball into the box is now there, and he looks the real deal.Unfortunately his value now is way beyond our means, so there is zero chance of it happening. If there was any chance of a swap deal with Bilya happening I would bite their hand off.

Gibson: Useful squad player at Utd and would be the same at Everton. Great shot on him but that's about it. Wasn't great last night and won't get into the Ireland team whenever all our midfielders are fit.

Especially now with the emergence of James Mc Carthy.....now there is a Scot - now Irish:-) - that we should get in for before his price goes through the roof/ the RS come in for him. Fantastic prospect.

Jamie Crowley
25   Posted 28/03/2011 at 04:54:46

McGeady is so fun to watch, which I did almost every weekend at the local CSC.

But once you get over the pace, ball control, and occassional nifty move you realize - the kid holds the ball WAY too long almost every time he gets possession.

He may have changed, but that's what I saw when he was with Celtic. He'd break down any flow by jacking around with the damn ball for 30 seconds. Not that Strachan's team had flow mind you...

Still, he'd be better than Bily out wide.
Jimmy Sorheim
26   Posted 28/03/2011 at 07:49:33

Stop this abuse of Bilyaletdinov now! What is the matter with people, critisiceing Bily who hasn't seen a run of games since last year? I would love to see anyone else do better with these 5 minutes playing time towards the end of a match. That is just low, and if you really are TRUE supporters then stop hitting out at him and point your finger to the man that hardly ever plays him anymore.

It takes time to hit form and you need active regular playing time to do that, for example, Saha in the first half of season, he got endless chances to show what he could do. Not Bily. I rest my case!

Jamie Barlow
27   Posted 28/03/2011 at 10:30:35

Jimmy, Bily has had enough chances to prove what he can do. He just can't hack it. As a couple of posters have already said, it doesn't matter where he is played, he can't pass the ball. He's also too slow, refuses to take people on and does absolutely nothing when he hasn't got the ball. Simply not good enough and I'd swap him for McGeady as soon as we could. Can't be any worse.
Dave Wilson
28   Posted 28/03/2011 at 10:59:44

There are certain players who are just not cut out for the Prem... people like Decco, Forlan and even Jô have failed to come to terms with the physical aspect of our game. I think Bily falls into this catergory.

Andy Crooks ? McCourt is about 28 mate, he has only managed 30 odd games for Celtic, McGinn hasnt even managed that many, being a cut above the rest in Ireland does not a Premier League player make.

I like Seamus, I like his attitude and nothiing would give me greater pleasure than to be wrong about him. but he has now lost the surprise element and if he doesnt improve his delivery or start to lift his head, I fear we have already seen his best games.

The shite have unearthed a player ? well actually they have stolen another from under our nose: watch young Kelly when you get a chance; he is a proper, proper player, he`ll go right to the top and I`d swap him for any of the players you mention in a heartbeat.

Liam Reilly
29   Posted 28/03/2011 at 11:11:06

Wonder how much James McCarthy would cost? That boy is going to be some player, probably move to one of the Sky 6 in the summer though.
Jimmy Sorheim
30   Posted 28/03/2011 at 13:35:44

If Bily could get some consistent game time in a forward role, just behind the striker, then he would blossom. This is where he is played for Russia and there should be no doubt about his quality. When Kanchelskis goes out just before his transfer here and said that he is top class then there should be no doubt. The problem is that he is being ripped apart by Moyes with him playing him in awful places. Even after he has done badly in them, he still can't put him in his favoured position.

Heitinga is another example of a player being used in the wrong way. I think we should all think twice about who is at fault here. The answear is David Moyes, and his faulty tactics! But IF Moyes is going to do the same fault in the future, then it is a different matter.

Paul Maguire
31   Posted 28/03/2011 at 22:01:24

Totally agree Jimmy. It may well be that Bily isn't suited to the Premier League but to say he has had enough chances is disingenuous. I for one would love to see him have a decent run in the side in his preferred and usual position and then make a judgement call ? not after a handful of 5 minute sub appearances on the left wing.

There always used to be criticism of the Rip Shit and Bust type of player at Everton being the antithesis of the 'School of Science" and now we get a cultured talent like Bily, there is a call for him to be replaced with the former. Poor bugger cant win.

Dan McKie
32   Posted 29/03/2011 at 10:02:14

People who say Bily has been played out of position are correct in a way, but it is only slightly left of his supposed best/prefered position, and I think would have shown more whilst playing on the left if he was going to cut it anywhere else on the pitch. I doubt he would suddenly become a world beater playing 10 yards further inside!

I feel the same about Rodwell, £25 million?? I can't think of any games where you can say 'yeah, Rodwell was our man in that game'. Sell them both before its realised how average they are outside of EFC.

Stephen Kenny