Eric Dier

I was just wondering whether anyone had any info about our forgotten about this loan signing??? Will he be signed permanently or is he headed back to Portugal?
Rob Wilkinson, Warrington     Posted 01/04/2011 at 11:13:38

Comments

Martin Handley
1   Posted 01/04/2011 at 16:35:55

Not a chance of getting him, Rob, he has a buyout clause ? a snip at £13 mil!
Andrew Fair
2   Posted 01/04/2011 at 16:42:56

1. Eric Dier

Eric signed for the Blues on loan in the January transfer window on a short term deal until the summer when it is expected he will put pen to paper on a long term deal. He is a 16 year old from Cheltenham who is the first Englishman to play for Sporting Lisbon. Born in England, Eric moved to Portugal in 2003 at the age of 8. He captained the club at U15 level and progressed to become a regular in the U17 side whilst also turning out for the U19s - a sign of his enhanced development. Under the mentorship of the iconic Paulo Cardoso (the man who scouted Ronaldo and Nani for Sporting) Dier had been expected to break through into the Sporting first team setup next season.

Standing at 6 feet 2 inches, he has the make up to be a commanding centre half and his coaching at Lisbon`s academy is such that the ball playing aspect of his play has been greatly nurtured. Dier is a cultured centre back whose style has been cultivated by the marriage of contrasting football cultures . Dier has a tidy athletic pedigree: his grandfather Ted Croker (former Secretary of the English FA) and great uncle Peter both played professionally for Charlton Athletic whilst his dad was a pro tennis player.

His exploits have been recognised by the Portuguese national team, who attempting to select him for a recent U17 international. For Dier, though, there is only one international ambition, to attract the attention of the England FA and represent the country of his birth. His development was noticed by Umbro who pressed for Dier to front their England merchandising launch, circled below alongside former Toffee Wayne Rooney. Since his move to Goodison, Eric has been working with the Academy side but given his exposure in Portugal I would expect that he would be able to move up through the ranks rapidly and could be in the first team squad as early as next season. Asked about whether he was a typical English centre half, Dier said

"I can do that as well but I can pass it and I`m very comfortable on the ball. In Portugal it`s all very technical and that`s what they emphasise most. People tell me that I am a leader and very competitive. I`m not the quickest but I`ve been working on that ? I have seen a speed specialist, Margot Wells, for the last two summers ? but I think I read the game well, which compensates a bit. I don`t really like to compare myself to anyone but I like watching Nemanja Vidic, Ricardo Carvalho and Gerard Pique"

Read more: http://www.everton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=236916#ixzz1IHq6vgIo
Gerry Quinn
3   Posted 01/04/2011 at 17:00:06

But the big question he didn't answer was "Can you hoof it as far as Jags, Eric?"

Seriously though, great insight Andrew #2, thanks. I get the feeling that we may have missed out on a future star, but then what do I know?
Jamie Barlow
4   Posted 01/04/2011 at 17:52:30

Where did you get the £13 million from Martin?
Marc Williams
5   Posted 01/04/2011 at 19:00:12

He'll be staying, as Kenwright couldn't afford the airfare to send him back to Portugal!
Shaun Brennan
6   Posted 01/04/2011 at 20:25:53

All we need now is a midfielder who will gladly take the ball off the centre-halves, hey!!
Stephen Kenny
7   Posted 02/04/2011 at 08:37:32

Shaun,

We've got one, he plays off the striker and likes it to his head!