Members:   Log In Sign Up

Rooney plays the blues card

How many of you actually agree with Wayne's comments that all Everton fans are right behind Man Utd to smash the kopites' record of 18 titles?

I know I'm certainly not and anticipate I'm in the minority here. I was raised to be a good Liverpudlian (as in a person of the city ?- my dad hates the 'racist and derogatory' term "Scouser") and so I was in the then not so rare position of enjoying a fair few games at Anfield as a nipper whenever my uncles wanted to take me. It sure beat staying in with the girls on a Saturday when my dad was off playing football and my kopite uncles were all off down the game so I'd go with them. It wasn't the friendly rivalry as a young nipper in the 80s it was painted out to be but my story isn't unusual.

All this has made me always back away from hating the kopites. In fact I was able to join in the celebrations along with a load of blues the day they won the European Cup and Dale Street was awash with people and I'd say at least 25% of the revellers were blues silently caught up in it all.

I most certainly do not agree with Wayne and in fact would go as far as to say I couldn't think of anything worse. I'd rather see Thatcher become Prime Minister again than rednose and his shower lift another trophy.

All my hatred in football is directed towards Manchester, blue and red, in fact all my hatred in general goes there too. I for one could never live there, work there or spend any great deal of time there. No amount of money in the world would make me do what Wayne did and I would rather see Liverpool pick up title number 19 than Man Utd.

Am I alone in this or is Wayne wrong?

Steve Ferns, Liverpool     Posted 01/04/2011 at 14:38:40

Comments

Gareth Humphreys
1   Posted 01/04/2011 at 15:36:59

Steve, I am 110% behind Rooney over this ? shame on anyone who isn't.
Michael Kenrick
2   Posted 01/04/2011 at 15:32:59

When I saw that story, I thought there is bound to be at least one! And you are he. Thanks for stepping up.

I don't want Arsenal to win anything this season after what went down at the Emirates, so it makes things less clear cut. In fact, I don't want any of them to win... I wanted Everton to win. This was to be our year, but of course one of them will.

It's still mathematically possible for us... just, but it won't be after the weekend's games, I feel quite sure of that. Ah well... the 24-year rule broken at last. 122-year thread woven through our history is torn asunder.
Adam Bennett
3   Posted 01/04/2011 at 15:49:18

1. I couldn?t give a flying fuck what Rooney thinks or says.
2. I couldn?t give a flying fuck who wins a trophy if it is not going to be Everton.
Norman Merrill
4   Posted 01/04/2011 at 15:46:24

Steve, Its all about opinions, Wayne has his, and ? believe it or not ? he does speak to many Evertonians still, so really you cannot think that all Evertonians feel like you.
Luke O'Farrell
5   Posted 01/04/2011 at 15:44:51

Steve, really? I think you are in a minority of one in thinking this.

Slightly off topic although it relates to opinions and views towards off teams; plus it annoys so I figured I'd say it...

Don't get me wrong, I hate the shite as much as every Evertonian but I'm sick of this "If we can finish above them and it's all ok" logic.

Some fans think it softens the blow when we slump to defeat if the shite lose as well... NO, it doesn't. I don't care how they get on, I don't particularly care for anything about them. They are not Everton.

We should be more bothered about the downward spiral we seem to find ourselves on at the moment. Some fans think winning the 2 derbies quantifies a great season. I would take 2 derby defeats and a good season over 4/6 points off that lot and a awful season; like the one we're currently seeing.

Yes, I hate them and everything to do with their club screams "delusion, delusion". I just get fed up sometimes when our fans are bitter towards them at the expense of our own interests.

I would rather Arsenal won tbh. I hate all the top 4; they all cheat and complain. Arsenal at least play the game in the right way, in terms of using the ball.
Brian Waring
6   Posted 01/04/2011 at 15:54:30

Agree with Rooney totally. Fucking hate the redshite, and every shite fan I know (Family included) are dreading it if the Mancs do it.
Tony J Williams
7   Posted 01/04/2011 at 15:57:01

If we can't win it, I would rather see a team take over those fuckers from across the park.

Rooney is a gobshite, but I am with him on this one. Bitter? You betcha!

Luke, I am with you too. Yes, it's great to beat them and I want nothing for them usually but the 18 & 5 thing will be rendered pointless if Man Utd win... can't be a bad thing.
Liu Weixian
8   Posted 01/04/2011 at 16:02:32

Yes! ManUre can overtake the Shite in terms of league titles won! It should shut some Redshite gobs from going on and on and on about their shite history!
Liam Reilly
9   Posted 01/04/2011 at 16:03:57

United could win 100 Premier League titles in a row and those lot across Stanley Park would still sing about their 5 fucking ECs.

Couldn't care less really, other than: isn't it a pitiful state of affairs when with 8 games remaining in the season, the hottest topic is a Rooney quote?

Hurts.
GJ Butler
10   Posted 01/04/2011 at 16:27:16

Off the point, Steve, but 'I for one could never live there, work there or spend any great deal of time there', fairly bigoted views from the son of a man who "hated the racist term 'scouser'".

Back to the point though. I dislike United, but I despise Liverpool, so United are the lesser of two evils for me.
Kevin Tully
11   Posted 01/04/2011 at 16:37:03

Still rubbing my eyes as I read "join in the celebrations"... WTF?

Love watching Man Utd lift each and every trophy as I know it riles the gobshites so much.

Well said Wazza, come home soon.
Alan Stafford
12   Posted 01/04/2011 at 16:49:04

Adam Bennett #3.
Could not agree with you more.
If we can't win it, who really cares?

As for Mr Rooney, he is just another grossly overpaid brat that has no idea what it's like to be a real fan.
Steve Ferns
13   Posted 01/04/2011 at 16:34:27

Mr Bulter, they are indeed bigoted views but it comes from years of prejudice against our great city.

From the days of the ship canal towards the present day, there is a great deal of ill-feeling rife in the city concerned with forever being passed over in favour of our neighbours down the road. We have sat back, watched our city fall into ruin, no help from the rest of the country but instead receive jibes about poverty and crime.

Every time there is a potential for redevelopment to give us a shot in the arm, we get passed over in favour of Manchester. Here I'm refering to the building of a second runway at Manchester instead of developing Liverpool Airport, the building of the Imperial War Museum in Salford was a kick in the teeth, and there are other numerous examples of money being poured into that region which has grown from being a smaller city into one now four times the size of us and real international centre for business and commerce, whilst we have lost such a role.

As a proud Liverpudlian, I have to admit to holding a lot of resentment to that city and it irks me whenever their inhabitants begin their jibes. Only in England could the second city of a country be left to ruin and instead of rejuvinating it, and even in the ultra PC world of today no one bats an eyelid when a government minister makes a "scouser joke".

So yes, you could say I had a chip on my shoulder over Manchester, but it wasn't so long ago that the rest of the city did and this went far above football loyalties.

Every Everton fan loves it when, as the song goes, Everton win and Liverpool lose, but to support a team from Manchester ahead of the kopites... No, you won't see me celebrating it.

Lee Mandaracas
14   Posted 01/04/2011 at 16:55:31

GJ Butler No 10 ? Excellent point in your first paragraph and precisely my thoughts in both. Personally, I always insist on being called a Scouser as I am from the city of Liverpool but do not support the team. Therein lies my definition between the two. I am proud of my heritage but I am a Scouser and an Evertonian, NOT a Liverpudlian!
Steve Ferns
15   Posted 01/04/2011 at 16:55:54

Kevin, loads of us went into town that night. I was enjoying myself laughing at the reds in the hogshead as Milan went 3-0 up. After they got their third, I could see it was only going one way and went home.

The rest of my mates stayed out with the Kopites and one in particular was even seen to be joining in with celebrations by singing that song. Something I didn't let him forget. There must have been close to a hundred thousand in the streets that night, Church Street was full with no pavement left uncovered and there was loads of Everton fans there, maybe they weren?t chanting the Kopites songs or running up and hugging each other but they hadn?t gone home and they were mixing freely with the Kopites.

I?m sure there were more than a few on here who were out that night as Milan fans but got caught up in it all.

Tommy Coleman
16   Posted 01/04/2011 at 17:01:09

I hate Man Utd more than I hate anything else on planet Earth. I'd hate for Alex Fergie to complete the record, totally overated manager (like every player that has played for them).

Give me more money than any other team and I'd win the Prem as many times as he did except I'd have won the Champs League more and those wins wouldn't have been by pure jammyness.

Steve Ferns
17   Posted 01/04/2011 at 17:01:58

Lee, "Scouser" is a deroogatory term invented to insult the people of Liverpool. Ask your old man, in the 60s and before, we were known as "Whackers", for reasons which should be pretty obvious. Mancs didn't like the fact that some of our hard knocks revelled in the name and so started calling us "scousers" as an insult for eating scouse stew all the time.

"Liverpudlian" is a term hijacked by Kopites but means someone from the city of Liverpool.
Rory Slingo
18   Posted 01/04/2011 at 16:40:13

I don't agree with Rooney either, Steve, because I couldn't care less if Man U beat the Shite's record or not. If it isn't Everton, then I don't care and to hear from his fat face that he thinks I'll be rooting for him and that horrible club pisses me off because he could've stayed here and helped Everton tie and beat that record instead of helping our other big rival do it!
Gerry Quinn
19   Posted 01/04/2011 at 17:03:01

Oh I never feel more like singing the blues,
When Everton win and the red shite lose,
Oh Moysie,
You've got me singing the blues..........

Says it all :)

...and don't start me off on that fat, little Manc bastard.
Am I PC in saying "little"?
Gerry Morrison
20   Posted 01/04/2011 at 17:07:05

I have supported Everton all my life. However, even if we win, I am never really happy unless the shite loose too.

If we won the European Cup, I would still be upset if they did not get relegated the same season. Of course I want Man United to beat their record; that goes without saying.

Peter Dry
21   Posted 01/04/2011 at 16:58:29

Liverpool fans were literally dancing in the street when Man U beat us in the FA Cup Final in 85. Where was their chauvinism against all things Manchester then?? And why has their hatred of teams from Manchester JUST been United and not City??
Lee Mandaracas
22   Posted 01/04/2011 at 17:19:17

Steve, No 13 ? a) Please present a logical, unbiased proposal as to why a smaller airport on a coast is more accessible than one adjacent to a major motorway network, slightly more central in the country?

b) I am unaware of any minister getting away with a scouser joke. I do recall Boris 'Bigoted Buffon' Johnson being rightly pilloried for comments about us but perhaps you are aware of a joke the media overlooked. Then again, how are you aware of it if the media neglected to pay it any attention, whatever the joke that went unpunished by the media was?

As for your response directed to me in comment number 17, I need neither a conversation with my father nor a patronising lesson in your definitions presented as the definitive ones. Scouser indeed does relate to the stew I proudly prepare for my family on a regular basis. It was bastardised in its definition by the general media (many of whom were based out of London and not Manchester) principally in the 1980s as a term similar to Scally. We were never known as 'Whackers' since there was no 'h' in the term when we were repeatedly mocked for supposedly overusing the term 'Wac' in the 1960s.

Liverpool was hijacked by the people who founded the club (from a marketing perspective, quite intelligently) by naming the team after the city. Therefore, there would always be an association between club & city. Kopites as individuals today have no influence over this except to perpetuate the marketing ploy.

Seems to me you have quite a bit of illogical bitterness towards the Mancs my friend. It even seems like you look for reasons to despise Manchester and its inhabitants where reasons are not necessarily always there.
Michael Madden
23   Posted 01/04/2011 at 17:20:53

I was born just behind Paddy's Market in1963. I remember when we won the league in 69-70 I was made up, we had 7 league titles to redshites 5.

Then the bastards ran away with nearly everything for the next 20 years. Come on Man Utd... Come on do it for me.

Adam Cunliffe
24   Posted 01/04/2011 at 17:14:32

I'm with the fat one on this one. And Gerry nailed it in one for me. I love Everton, everything bout our club just makes it better than any other. Yet the second result I look for is the shite's. Maybe it's from years of going my Grandad (On my Mum's side, my Dad's is all blue) and having him joke with me about Everton losing, to which I promptly cried. Maybe it's the fact Barmby broke my heart and moved across the park. Maybe it's coz I was so sure we'd got a point all those years ago only to see Garry McAllister score a free kick. Maybe it's because of Twattenburg. Or maybe it's because of Graham Poll claiming he's already blew his whistle.

I really don't know. But I do know I fucking hate the shite and always will do. I know my Dad hates the shite. And I know my Grandad (Dad's dad) hates the shite. So C'mon United, if Everton don't win anything or finish midtable, I do feel slightly happier if the shite do exactly the same.

Bitter? Of course I am!
James Thomas
25   Posted 01/04/2011 at 17:43:34

I despise everything about them. Their plastic fans, their shite song, "big European nights at Anfield", this bullshit mysticism they've created for themselves with the help of a media constantly up their arse. Everything.

I hope United win the league; I hope United win the next three European Cups. I hope Rooney does it, because he might be the bastard child who turned his back on the family, but he still hates that unbearable shower next door and wants nothing more than to rub their noses in the fact that they're not now and nor will they ever be what they once were. And it will tear them all up inside.

Chris Bannantyne
26   Posted 01/04/2011 at 17:30:14

Ah... I suppose I'd rather see Manure with the record rather than the RS. But really it's just the lesser of two evils. I hate both clubs and their supporters, but the kopites a fair bit more.

If Everton aren't going to win the title, then I, like others don't much give a fuck.

Although there would be a certain level of satisfaction if some poor bastards like Blackpool defied the odds and won it. That I could applaud. Manure and red scum can continue wanking themselves off.
James Stewart
27   Posted 01/04/2011 at 17:59:40

Rooney is wrong. I couldn't give a flying fuck who wins the league if it's not Everton. I hate both red teams equally.
Steve Ferns
28   Posted 01/04/2011 at 18:16:46

Lee

"a) Please present a logical, unbiased proposal as to why a smaller airport on a coast is more accessible than one adjacent to a major motorway network, slightly more central in the country?"

I'm afraid I have neither the time or the inclination to do such a thing, Lee. What you are asking for is a lengthy job and I don't have the time. However, I'm sure if you use Google you'll see the proposal set out by Liverpool Airport at the time. It centres around this, Liverpool Airport (pre JLA status and the low cost airline boom) had all the space and potential to become a major international airport, particularly with it's extra long and wide runway. The idea was that Liverpool would not compete with Manchester but would instead complement it to essentially do what it's doing now. Provide short haul domestic and European flights whilst Manchester concentrated on further afield. Liverpool would obviously require investment as the terminal facilities were then none existent.

Since Manchester won this battle, it has been proven to be a colossal waste of money as they are unable to land as many planes on the runaways per hour as they said they would be able to due to not being able to have too many planes in the sky circling around one area... whereas if the runway had been built in Liverpool then there would be sufficient room between the two runways for planes to circle and land quicker.

"b) I dam unaware of any minister getting away with a scouser joke. I do recall Boris 'Bigoted Buffon' Johnson being rightly pilloried for comments about us but perhaps you are aware of a joke the media overlooked. Then again, how are you aware of it if the media neglected to pay it any attention, whatever the joke that went unpunished by the media was?"

There have been plenty of instances and the main culprits were messers Straw and Prescott. Straw seemed to make jokes about Liverpool every chance he got, which was disgraceful for the then Home Secretary. Again, Google is your friend. I can't believe you missed the front page story in the Echo that promptly led to an apology and suggestions of misquoting.

My ?illogical bitterness towards the Mancs? as you put it, is surely no more illogical than the bittterness my fellow blues have towards the red side of the city. I feel very patriotic towards my city and, as someone who regularly is outside it's boundaries and encounters all the ?friendly banter? on an almost daily basis, I am sick to the back teeth of trying to correct outdated stereotypes, which, whilst most have been perpetuated by those down south, are mainly encountered to me up here in the Manchester and Cheshire regions.
Trevor Mackie
29   Posted 01/04/2011 at 18:11:08

If the Prem was a two-horse race going to last game of the season ? ManU vs Liverpool at Anfield ? would you be supporting Liverpool?

Back in the day, when just such a scenario involving Arsenal saw Arsenal champions, was one of the greatest nights of my life.

As has been said before, if you lived through the seventies and early eighties and had to put up with their shite, it wouldn't be a discussion.

As for celebrating their Istanbul shite, I didn't watch it and still haven't, that type of bollocks was a regular event back in the day.

Fuck 'em; till we've won the CL 5 times I'll feel the same.
Brian Denton
30   Posted 01/04/2011 at 18:23:08

Michael (post #23) I think when we won the title in 1970 we equalled their 7, along with Man U and Arsenal both of whom also had 7 at that stage.

Re agreeing with Rooney, perhaps it's a generational thing. None of the kids of today ? thank God ? have had to live through them winning the title. The seventies were hell!
Karl Masters
31   Posted 01/04/2011 at 18:40:05

Steve Ferns

I agree with all you say, except I don't want to see Liverpool win anything either.

I hate Manure and Chelsea and I don't want to see Liverpool or Arsenal winning anything. I'd rather it was Man City or Spurs or Villa than them. They have all four got fat on the Chamions League and I hate seeing them win anything.

What I really want is Everton winning everything with Liverpool second and the rest nowhere.

All those having a go at Steve clearly have either short memories or were not around in the 70s and 80s when even at England games Scousers were the target of all the other clubs, particularly the Mancs who were jealous of our success. They still sing that Bonfire song, the Park Ji Sung song, and so it goes on, even if the violence has gone in the main now.

I sat amongst them for the FA Cup semi-final in 2009. What a joyous day that was!!
Peter Fearon
32   Posted 01/04/2011 at 18:49:01

If Wayne Rooney wants something to happen... I don't. If I was on fire, I wouldn't let him put me out. I don't buy this, "I'm still an Evertonian at heart" crap. I would rather he played for Liverpool so my contempt for him could grow even stronger.
Chris Hannon
33   Posted 01/04/2011 at 19:16:28

When I was a kid, I would rather of sat in the cellar with fritzel than watch them twats! You obviously don't take the shit of them like most blues!

I hope the Mancs piss the league get to 6 Euro Cups and never win anything again!

David Hallwood
34   Posted 01/04/2011 at 20:00:19

For those of you who want to see Man U win the title, go to a game (any game not against us or the shite) and sometime in the match you get to sing this little ditty to the tune of Go West by the Pet Shop Boys. Altogether now 1-2-3:

Stand up if you hate scousers,
Stand up if you hate scousers,
Stand up if you hate scousers,
Stand up if you hate scousers,
Stand up if you hate scousers...

Trevor Lynes
35   Posted 01/04/2011 at 20:03:00

I'm so surprised at all the hatred being bandied about... I worked abroad for years and have ALWAYS been a very proud SCOUSER!!

In an ideal world, EFC would win every trophy and Liverpool would be runners up... How can any home bred man or woman honestly want Man Utd to beat any scouse side?

Between our two great sides, we have won more trophies than any other CITY in England and that is lots more than the combined Man Utd/City teams...

When Liverpool and EFC won the trophies, it was from a level playing field without foreign players to bolster up the sides competing. Teams like Ipswich and Pompey won league titles and Man Utd were in the doldrums from 1967 until 1994.

I would much rather see us preferably but Liverpool as a whole outdo the Mancs anytime... when we had the great teams of the past, we were never segregated and, when we played each other at Wembley, the fans travelled together with blue scarves out of one window and red out of the other.

When Shankly died, there were over a million on the streets and many Evertonians were there wearing their blue scarves with mutual respect!!

I have always been proud to come from a city which is above football hatred between our two teams and I abhor the way that many fans are lapsing into the same mindless hatred that contaminates other citys' fans.

Shaun Brennan
36   Posted 01/04/2011 at 20:23:08

I'm bored of your question,

... but I'll answer it anyway.

I couldn't give a flying fuck about Liverpool FC, but I do not want to see Manchester being more successful than my city any shape way or form. So no, I don't want them to win the league. I don't mind Liverpool having the most league tiltes etc, as long as they don't win it again in my lifetime.
Dave Wilson
37   Posted 01/04/2011 at 20:01:34

Every time I think I hate Man U more than the Shite, I think of Gerrard, then I hate Liverpool more.

Then I think of Rooney and I hate Manure more.

Then I think of that gobshite Carragher and I hate the Shite more.

Then I think of rat boy and I hate Manure more... and so on.

The list of reasons to fucken hate both of these clubs is inexhaustible.

Andrew James
38   Posted 01/04/2011 at 20:18:40

@ Trevor

Really good point that Merseyside has won more in football than Manchester or even London. What annoys me is that people assume that's solely down to Liverpool and forget we're the 4th most successful team in England.

But what really irritates me is Liverpool fans saying things like "oh the real derby is with Man Utd". This is their way of elevating themselves whilst being derogatory about their neighbours. In retaliation I always say our real derby is with City.
Kevin Tully
39   Posted 01/04/2011 at 20:42:52

All the redshite were desperate for us to be relegated this season. (Take a look at RAWK.)

I know a few Man Utd fans and they don't want to see us go down.

They call us the bitters and laugh at us. Why would anyone want LFC and their plastic, gobshite, glory hunting pricks to have any success is beyond me.

They are on a downward spiral, and out of the top four. I fuckin luv it!!!
Brian Waring
40   Posted 01/04/2011 at 21:24:22

Some of you lads need to be careful showing this hatred towards the Mancs.

If Sir Alex reads it, he won't give us anymore of his cast-offs as part of a deal when he buys our better players.
Col Hughes
41   Posted 01/04/2011 at 21:28:20

I fucking hate liverpool with a passion. I'd love United to smash thier records, simple as!
Sean McCarthy
42   Posted 01/04/2011 at 21:33:00

Steve ? A person from Liverpool is (historically) referred to as a 'Liverpolitian' not Liverpulian... that is, I'm afraid, a tag solely for the Redshite.

Not sure I'd wanna be referred to as a 'scouser' either... as loathsome as he is, Boris did actually have a point despite the humble pie he was forced to eat.

Oh and for me it's Man Utd every time before the other lot!! And that's got nothing to do with Rooney. I work with two Kop season ticket holders who are convinced they're going to win the PL next season!!! And it is for that deluded attitude shared by many of their ilk that I don't want them to ever win anything ever again!!

Mike Hughes
43   Posted 01/04/2011 at 22:12:48

James Flynn
44   Posted 01/04/2011 at 22:11:33

Routine stuff for you all, but fantastic stuff for an American just in as an EFC backer.

I've mentioned this before, but my first exposure to EFC passion was a 5-second clip of Joe-Max Moore scoring a goal on a header at Goodison and the crowd going nuts.

While still trying to process ESPN in the late 90s actually showing a soccer clip, I remembered his team mentioned and assumed Everton was a city in England.

Whatever Everton was, this American never forgot the name because a Yank was given a fair chance in the top league. Hard to explain that feeling.

Anyway, good to read a thread like this. I can't pretend to feel the same way as expressed here, but I'm in as an EFC fan for little over a year and I'm in for good. Reading this discussion helps me catch up to what you all grew up with.
Stuart O'Malley
45   Posted 01/04/2011 at 22:24:22

The Fields of Anfield Road really makes me puke... the camera panning over the "kip"... total manufactured bullshit!

And don't get me started on "You'll Never Walk..." aah you know the one.

As for Man U fans here in Dublin, their eyes just go blank when you mention pre-1999 football. It's very hard to take them seriously, so I can't say they bother me. So Man U winning another league does not really get to me, their fans are anonymous to me anyway.

I would hate to see the RS winning it again before us though. Just can't abide the attitude of most rs fans I meet. A seriously over-exaggerated sense of entitlement, methinks.
Thomas Owen
46   Posted 01/04/2011 at 23:11:06

The Redshite may be a bunch of arseholes but, being an Irish Blue, I've seen countless people only starting to support Manure once they started winning and then proceed to tell me how great the team is and always was when they know fuck all.

Manure fans still go on about how great their team of the 60s was, like it makes a difference today, just as much as the Redshite go on about the 70s and 80s. They are both a bundle of wankers but if Manure pass the Redshite in league titles, we won't hear the end of it for another 50 years.

Andy Kay
47   Posted 01/04/2011 at 23:15:50

1996 derby at Goodison, Fowler equalised late after Kanchelskis scrambled a lead... Redshite fans all arms and legs giving it vees .. Cue loads in the Park End shouting "United... United" ? with reference to the upcoming FA Cup Final.

There's plenty like me who would love to see United smash every record they ever had! United broke my heart in '85 but did it only once. Those bastards across the park have years to answer for...

Maine Road '77 and '84; Wembley '86 and '89... Clive Thomas, Clattenburg, Emlyn Hughes and Phil Thompson. Ian Rush every derby, Steve "fuck off" McMahon, Stevie G and the other Spice boys... Who do you really hate?

And don't get me started on Heysel...

Andy Kay
48   Posted 01/04/2011 at 23:35:02

Trevor Mackie, I totally agree. "It's up for grabs noooowwwww" is still up there with "Reid's cross... Graaayyyy!!"
Phil Bellis
49   Posted 01/04/2011 at 23:43:35

Wayne! Who the fuck is Wayne?

When Mancherster Utd play Liverpool, I want them both to get beat.

John Keating
50   Posted 01/04/2011 at 23:58:23

Born and bred in Everton. A proud Liverpudlian/Scouser ? never bothered me what they call me.

From the first I can ever remember, the only time I think of LFC is when we play them. Never watch them on telly, never give a shit about them. As far as I'm concerned, they're equal to Villa, Spurs, Port Vale etc.

If put on the spot, I hope Man Utd kick shit out of the Red bastards!

Biased? Bitter? ... No way!!

Gerry Quinn
51   Posted 02/04/2011 at 00:14:08

As my Dad used to say.... "If the red shite were playing a game in my back garden, I'd shut the curtains."

Wasn't that clean a comment, but I have always respected him for that ? God rest his soul.
Ian Smitham
52   Posted 02/04/2011 at 00:10:33

A really difficult issue for me as I grew up 4 miles from Old Trafford in schools full of Man U fans. I've been going to the game since c 1970 and have hated Liverpool FC all that time ? especially after "the best team in Europe" were denied. Went to Rotterdam with our glorious hoardes only to be denied with the events of a week later. Our lovable neighbours...

I love the LFC v MUFC games as, hand on heart, I can say they are the only games I cannot decide who I want to win when the game is being played. Any other game, it is simple. What is best for EFC?

The LFC v MUFC game I enjoy in the pub, wishing for bad things: crowd trouble, sendings off, controversy, mobile phones, errors, in fact anything except player injury, which I draw the line at. It is great to see the raw hatred and smile as it all goes wrong for them both.

Thanks for a great thread and my chance to air my view; sorry, but I really do not know whether WR is right, I just know I hate them both the same and will to my dying day. I wish them both the worst of and love my Everton.
Ian Smitham
53   Posted 02/04/2011 at 00:24:48

Just read the comments of #52, and do you know what?

Word perfect, "I hate them both the same."

From where I live and where I have come from, I really do hate them just the same.

I will be in the Winslow about a quarter to two tommorrow, with my 2 boys (young men now, at ages 20 and 18). You will know me if you see me, I hope the Tuborg is not flat, and then see you Ken in the chippy. Season tickets renewed, I love my Everton.
Mike Bates
54   Posted 02/04/2011 at 01:15:13

There are some people on here that really make me despair. If you hate Wayne for leaving to play for a better team ? and yes, they are a better team ? then you're an idiot. He's an Evertonian who saw a better deal elsewhere. I cant believe people still berate him for leaving to get a better wage and better bonuses for doing the same job.

As for what Wayne said, how can you not want Man U to beat that lot? When Man U break the record ? and it is when, not if ? I won't stand there and rub it in their faces that they don't hold the record anymore, because it wasn't my club that beat them. But the fact that they wouldn't hold the record, and that it was who they hate most that took it from them, is a nice consolation.
Chris Bannantyne
55   Posted 02/04/2011 at 01:01:25

Wow! My mum and her side of the family were all born and bred in Liverpool, and until I just read this thread I had no idea that 'scouser' was a derogatory term!

I have referred to my own family as being 'scousers', and always thought it to be a term of endearment!! Now I know to be a bit careful when I come over there next year!

I suppose it's all to do with the context that the term is used in?

p.s Mike Hughes #42

"If Liverpool played an Al Qaeda XI at Anfield, I'd grow a beard and stand in the away end."

FuckIng classic!
Michael Madden
56   Posted 02/04/2011 at 02:06:10

Brian Denton (#30) ? I have just looked 1970 up, you're right, my memory playing tricks. I still want Man Utd to beat their record, I only hate two teams: Liverpool & Rangers. Man Utd don't mean anything to me.
Brendan O'Doherty
57   Posted 02/04/2011 at 03:21:11

I'll allow myself a wry smile if Man U beat the RS's record, that's about it. Certainly won't be dancing in the streets about it. Rooney was wrong to suggest that all Everton fans are desperate for Utd to do it. Utd fans are as much patronising arrogant bastards as the RS, so it's a bit of a Hobson's choice for us.

Man U, only just!
Dermot Ryan
58   Posted 02/04/2011 at 06:43:57

I just want the shite to get relegated so that I can focus my full hatred at Man U and Arsenal (I've recently found them a bunch of arrogant, cheating, and whinging bastards who always seem to beat us).
Derek Thomas
59   Posted 02/04/2011 at 06:50:41

Steve Ferns, Re the airport thing you mentioned.

Some time in the late 40s or 50s, Manchester and Liverpool councils were offered Burtonwood Air base as the new NW Airport.

Ringway and Speke, built in the 30s with runways to match the planes of the day. Burtonwood had monster, even for now, runways.

Liverpool council turned it down. We wanted our own airport. We will do it our selves, we don't need no Mancs.

So they built the new runway, but due to cost did a half-arsed job and the runway was too small before it was finished.

Where do most people fly from??? Cutting nose off to spite face.
Ray Roche
60   Posted 02/04/2011 at 07:09:20

In the 50s and early 60s, it was common for Everton fans to watch the Redshite in Division 2 when we were playing away and Reds fans would watch us at Goodison, just so we could see a live match, as there were no televised live games in those days. My old feller did it and I did a few times but it just felt wrong for me.

I was brought up to believe that, if we didn't win anything, then the next best thing was for Liverpool to win ? after all, it was good for the City of Liverpool. And better for a northern team to beat a southern team etc.

I think all that started to change with the plastics starting to follow the Shite, and all the professional scousers like Cilla and that twat Tarbuck. If I hear that shitbag banging on about Shanks and the boot room anymore.... Heysel etc only widened the gap even more and the RS fans banging on about "5 times" and 18 titles have only widened the gap between both sets of supporters.

I'd love it, just love it, if the Mancs win it just to shut that shower of arseholes up.

Sean McCarthy: "Steve ? A person from Liverpool is (historically) referred to as a 'Liverpolitian' not Liverpudlian... that is, I'm afraid, a tag solely for the Redshite."

Sean, I've NEVER heard of a "Liverpolitian" in all my 60+ years.
Rory Slingo
61   Posted 02/04/2011 at 06:50:28

#57 Brendan hits the nail on the head. Where I live, in Singapore, it makes no fucking difference who holds the damn record, you'd never hear the end of it from either set of their plastic, glory-hunting hordes which is about 95% of the football watching population here.

Watching them argue with each other at work, school, in the pub, on Facebook about which club is better is like watching two kids in a schoolyard arguing who's dad is better. Painful. Everton are a nothing club to all of them and choosing to support either of them against the other for whatever bitter reason you can come up with is as idiotic a reason as any, thank you very much, Mike Bates #54.

Yes, I fucking love it when the Shite lose and things don't go their way but their failures don't make Everton greater. Everton's success makes Everton greater. Any consolation I feel from their pain is usually lost the minute I think how our club never seem to be in a position to capitalize on their misfortune. Now that would be a real cause for joy!

As for Rooney, when you leave something you claim to love for more money, that's called selling out. If he had stayed, we may not have won the league but I'd be confident we would've won a few cups at least, would've attracted better talent to play alongside him, and been in a much better position than we're in now. In time, he'd be earning as much money with us as he does now being the best player the club. We finished 4th after he left, who knows what we would've achieved had he played for us that season and in Europe?!

When we talk about club finances, many of you are quick to point out football's tribal nature and how it doesn't work like a traditional business. Yet, when Rooney chooses to play elsewhere for more money, he's simply being a professional?? A professional? He's turned around and told his tribe:

"Sorry, I love you guys and our proud history and I know I'm your best chance of catching up to our rivals but I'm off to join one of them instead. It's just easier that way. Love, Wayne xxx"

Brian Waring
62   Posted 02/04/2011 at 08:40:06

Rory, you're deluded if you think Rooney left us just because he was offered more money.

Couldn't it have had something to do with the fact that he would be playinging for one of the best and biggest clubs in the world?

You only have to look at his medal haul, and Player of the Year awards to realise, personally, he made the right choice for himself.
Paul Gladwell
63   Posted 02/04/2011 at 09:33:58

Steve Ferns, I am not old enough to know but in Dixie's book he refers to people from Birkenhead being called Whackers in the 30s.

As for that night, every blue I know recalls it as the worst night of their lives and any blue who sings that song to me cannot be blue enough.

Paul Gladwell
64   Posted 02/04/2011 at 09:43:53

Oh and here's one for you: when I was sitting next to a fella in the Upper Bullens who looked approaching 80, crying as we went two down to Wimbledon, I noticed two shithouses from my local, sitting there with sly faces as lads hung from trees in the Park End.

I stood up and slaughtered them and they pissed off, tails between their legs, at the same time seven thousand of the fuckers where carrying coffins and having a Going Down party at Villa Park, so who's bitter?

And you tell me 25,000 blues partied that horrible night with them.

Paul Gladwell
65   Posted 02/04/2011 at 10:07:16

The simple fact is Liverpool not Man Utd detest us, Utd could not give two hoots about us, but you can bet that the vast majority of Redshites want us relegated, try reading their websites just to get a sample, they are as bad as us.

I work with Sky Sports reds, I have to endure the fuckers in the pubs, I have no connection with Utd, I hate them too but there is only one team I despise and could write a book of reasons why ? and for that I want another record I have had rammed down my throat for years to be archived as just a figure.

Paul Gladwell
66   Posted 02/04/2011 at 10:23:18

Mike Hughes ? superb.
James Hollister
67   Posted 02/04/2011 at 11:43:05

Karl Masters ? You say you don't want the likes of Utd, the Shite, Arsenal or Chelsea winning the title because they have gotten fat from their success, you'd rather Man City or Spurs win it.

Really? Man City is probably the richest club in the country, they deserve fuck all in my eyes. As for Spurs, err no thanks... that would really make it unbearable. That team that regularly finishing below us, despite having a lot more money. That would sting as much as the Shite winning the league in my eyes.

I hate the little fat trogg Rooney, but I do agree with the fact if we can't win it, I'd rather them do it, to really rub the shit right into their smug Norwegian faces!

Besides, some people say they hate Utd, but don't we have some sort of weird special relationship with them in one way or another?
Phil Bellis
68   Posted 02/04/2011 at 11:55:27

Mike @54 ? How the hell can an "Evertonian" playing for Man Utd be "doing the same job" as an Evertonian playing for Everton? I notice you say "my club", is that how Rooney refers to us?

And yes, "what would you do if.." heard it all before ? cuts no ice with me and the idiotic, illogical majority

You leave Everton, you go downwards; for me and thousands of other idiots, there's no bigger club or better team.

Eugene Ruane
69   Posted 02/04/2011 at 10:48:49

Couldn't give two shites what he does.

If he wants to earn squillions, win medals for Manchester United, play in World Cups with England, play in the CL (play in front of supporters who indirectly slag him and his family every game), fine, up to him.

In fact I only have one gripe regarding Rooney.

Imo, he should be pulled up any (and EVERY) time he even hints at being 'an Evertonian' and told "you are fucking well not an Evertonian".

We are ultimately (and rightly!) judged by what we do, rather than what we say.

(I mean I wouldn't be an astronaut just by SAYING I'm an astronaut, I actually would have to BE an astronaut...)

Consequently, I find his claim to be 'an Evertonian' insulting to ACTUAL Evertonians.
Chris Butler
70   Posted 02/04/2011 at 13:06:17

I'm sorry I've become sick of holding a grudge againt Rooney. He's made numerous attempts to try and win favour with Evertonians this being the latest one. I'd love United to beat both of their records regarding League titles and European cups.

In my opinion, Rooney's transfer saved Everton. It's pathetic to have read some of the comments about him that are so infantile and childish. Yes, until 2009 I liked abusing Rooney as much as the next man, but it's clear to me he's tried to make up for the past and forge links with Everton, yet some people can't accept it.

Rory Slingo
71   Posted 02/04/2011 at 13:22:36

#62 Brian ? Money or medals, he still sold us out. He was already at one of the best and biggest clubs in the world and one which he allegedly loved.

Phil Neville's won the same medals Rooney has, doesn't prove anything in and of itself. But I bet Phil's mean more to him because he won them playing for the club he loved!

Rooney may have medals now but I bet he's not happy and still feels hollow inside. Why does he keep trying to endear himself to us in the media recently? He's desperate to come back to us some day.

You're right though, he made the right choice for himself. He wanted the quick path to success and he got it. Doesn't mean I have to be happy for him or cheer him on just coz he might do one over our hated neighbours with another of our hated neighbours. The enemy of my enemy is still my bloody enemy! How I hated Man U and their fans during the Beckham/Cantona era. Have you all forgotten?? They're every bit as arrogant and patronizing as the Shite!

Trevor Lynes
72   Posted 02/04/2011 at 14:46:45

It's LIVERPUDLIAN and SCOUSER ? Two names that denote the friendliest, wittiest and most talkative people in Britain... with TWO great teams, of which I have fervently supported Everton since 1948.

Stop talking about the Mancs because, for all their great players of the sixties, they never won the title from 1967 until 1994 and even Best said that we were their biggest bogey team.

Be proud of your heritage and don't demean yourselves by squabbling and pouring vitriol over local fans.
Karl Meighan
73   Posted 02/04/2011 at 18:46:53

It's funny most Reds who go the game are ok concerning the football... it's the cunts who don't go who annoy me.

That bullshit "I can't get a ticket" pisses me off. The sold out signs have not been seen at Europa League or many other games at Anfield this season but yet it will be some red twat who could afford to go the pub to watch games who tries to have a dig.

Most Evertonians I guess hate the club not the fans but anyone from the city is going to have a hard time taking stick from reds from Warrington, Ireland and Norway who try to belittle Everton imo.

Liverpool fans are easily as bitter if not worse than Evertonians in the way they despise Man Utd, is this simply as they are a bigger club who are certain to overtake there 19 title wins? These are the same reds who call Evertonians bitter. Lots of Evertonians will admit to being bitter ive yet to meet a red who admits the same thing.

Evertonians who are bitter have valid reasons can Liverpool fans say the same thing?

Another thing that annoys Evertonians is that, although there are biased Blues, most Reds talk in the main a load of shite and refuse to acknowledge the achievements of other clubs, credit has to be given where due... we may not like it but it has to be given. Liverpool fans find it hard to accept that there are better teams of which there are now many.

To answer the question if and when Man Utd win their 20th ? No, I wont be celebrating... but I will laugh at the red bitter and twisted reaction, but then again they will probably start counting Super Cups and Charity Shields.
Andy Crooks
74   Posted 03/04/2011 at 00:38:08

Chris Butler, I watched Rooney on MotD tonight and he is impossible to warm to. However, you are spot on: His sale had to happen, however badly handled it was. Sadly, it was the shape of things to come.
Alex Kociuba
75   Posted 03/04/2011 at 02:11:42

So many people who have taken time to write they don't give a shit!
Paul Gladwell
76   Posted 03/04/2011 at 10:43:08

Karl, every single word you said sums up mine and all my blue mates' thoughts, could not have put it better mate.