Members:   Log In Sign Up

Daily Mail!

What is it with them? This latest 'story' about Leighton Baines really pisses me off. In the age of the internet, you regularly come across their articles & I?m sick of them always dogging our club down and stating how we should be happy with all our best players leaving for a fraction of their market value.

Just because we?ve not got some mad billionaire throwing money down the drain and we are living in the real world, doesn?t mean they can keep taking the piss.

Gets really under my skin, the shit these people dream up, must be some plastic bitter red shite in charge. Inbred right wing twats.

Alex Buckley, Huyton     Posted 02/04/2011 at 00:47:32

Comments

David Hallwood
1   Posted 02/04/2011 at 02:19:26

'O' level maths question: If two players cost £80mill in the transfer window ? one totally out of form and at present couldn't score in a whorehouse, the other file under potential that's if he doesn't end up in jail ? how much would the best left back in the Premier League cost? Calculate your answer to the nearest million...
Chris Bannantyne
2   Posted 02/04/2011 at 04:51:13

Which story from The Mail is it?

Just did a search, not satisfied I found the right one.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
3   Posted 02/04/2011 at 05:33:22

I added a link (above) for you, Chris.
Alex Buckley
4   Posted 02/04/2011 at 06:58:05

You could pick any number of stories they come out with. Anything with 'Daily Mail' against it you know it?s going to be complete garbage, but it?s the general lack of respect and contempt in the journalism that gets to me
Dave Wilson
5   Posted 02/04/2011 at 06:50:30

Far be it from me to defend the Mail ? haven't read it for 30 years ? but is this so way out there

I was really surprised that TWs gave Moyes such an easy ride when he appeared on GOS and told the world that he felt Leighton was the "second best" left back in the country.

I could have put me foot through the telly, Baines had long since left a struggling Cashley behind.

Sorry, I hate Moyes bashing for the sake of it, but the vultures were always going to circle for Baines and I couldn't believe he was talking down the price.

Any club now knows they are bidding for a guy Moyes considers "second best".

BTW Alex: Thanks, That's more like it. I wouldn't have seen the article.
John Daley
6   Posted 02/04/2011 at 07:11:52

I'd be more worried about 'Arry starting his usual subtle charm offensive this week. After the recent England game, old Leatherface was openly lauding yet another Everton player, describing Baines as an 'absolutely fantastic' left back and 'as tough as they come'. He's probably already told Pienaar to start texting him tales of how "t'rific" it is to play in the Champions League. The shifty Spitting Image looking gobshite.
Dave Wilson
7   Posted 02/04/2011 at 07:43:05

Oh don't, John.

The thought of Spurs selling Bale and Assou-Ekotto for about £45 million while getting the Pienaar and Baines for a song has just made me feel sick.
Gavin Ramejkis
8   Posted 02/04/2011 at 08:03:43

When we do sell at least one player this summer to give Billy Bullshitter another stay of execution, it'll only be for what other teams want to pay and not our asking price. If the world and his dog knows we are in the shit and need money, they will play hardball and offer what they like; the only chance we have of getting decent money is if there is a bidding war.
Stephen Kenny
9   Posted 02/04/2011 at 08:31:25

Dave, that comment was typical Moyes, after Leighton had completely outshone him as well.

I'd love him to be the type of fella who bigs our players up. Sadly he's done this to Beckford, Seamus and Jagielka as well this year.
Eugene Ruane
10   Posted 02/04/2011 at 09:02:22

I make no apologies for reminding people of the the Mail's (8 July 1934) headline:?

"Hurrah for the Blackshirts".

People (imo) need reminding that the publisher of this arse-wipe was mates with Hitler and Mussolini and constantly praised what was going on in pre-war Germany.

A vile, hateful rag that tickles the stomachs of the bile-filled.

They constantly play the patriotic card, yet had they had their way, there's a good chance we'd now all be watching Bayern Everton (or.. erm... something).
Gavin Ramejkis
11   Posted 02/04/2011 at 10:21:13

Eugene, well said ? it's not known as the Daily Bigot for nothing.
Dean Adams
12   Posted 02/04/2011 at 10:48:54

Alex Buckley,
I was with you until you lowered yourself to thier standards in the last paragraph.
What makes us so special is that we do not drop our standards and become like them.
Chris Bannantyne
13   Posted 02/04/2011 at 09:03:21

Thankyou Michael!

Ah yes, I can see how this story is annoying. But I'm not really surprised, as someone else has already said, I have come to expect these (relatively) low evaluations of player values when involving EFC.

It's an April fools joke, all year round!
James Hollister
14   Posted 02/04/2011 at 11:59:00

Baines recently said he wants to stay with Everton and signed a new 5-year deal. He doesn't want to go anywhere, and I can't see Moyes sanctioning the sale.

Moyes has said at the end of the season he is going to be having a nice little chat with the board and if they tried to sell anyone under his feet... I just feel he'd walk... and Kenwright would be completely rudderless and unprotected without Moyes.

Anyways, it's the Daily Mail, they talk sheer bollocks anyway.
Dan Brierley
15   Posted 02/04/2011 at 14:48:29

We wouldn't take £10 million for Leighton, not a chance. I wouldn't expect him to leave for any less than £16 million, which would be a hell of a profit.
Kevin Hudson
16   Posted 02/04/2011 at 15:05:09

As a predominant ex-pat, the UK population's aversion to the Daily Mail has always mystified me...

Maybe Eugene or Gavin could help me out here, as to me it appears that they're the ones displaying prejudice here. Taking Eugene's historic example on board, could he inform me if any of the current generation of Daily Mail staff are calling for a fascist state?

Or on account of one headline 77 years ago, are successive generations of Editors, reporters & staff complicit & seemingly damned, hereditarily, for eternity, regardless of being completely disconnected to this headline?

I ask, because their problem at the moment, according to Eugene, is that they "constantly play the patriotic card." I'm ignorant to this, as I've barely glanced at this publication, having lived abroad for most of my life. But I have seen patriotism displayed in The Jerusalem Post, El Pais, Novaya Gazeta & the Sydney Morning Herald on countless occasions, none of which offended me.

Is it just English or British patriotism that some find offensive? Were the flag-waving Ghana fans objectionable to some last Wednesday? Or is it just displays of UK patriotism that are deemed bigoted?

Seemingly, a lot of people hold a negative view of the Daily Mail, whilst paradoxically admitting they don't actually read it, or haven't read it in years! Is this not ignorance? Is that prejudice therefore fair to the current staff of the Mail? Or is it a comforting distaste based on an archaic & unfair or actual & earned perception that they're all bastards?!

I ask ONLY because I genuinely don't know, and would like to hear the contemporary examples that warrant such derision on this thread. Maybe I should buy a copy to see what the fuss is, hoping, as I do, that the Leighton Baines story is baloney!
Simon Templeman
17   Posted 02/04/2011 at 17:39:15

And here was I thinking this was an Everton website, there are plenty of places elsewhere to argue politics. Suffice to say not ALL Evertonians agree with the above posters views.
Gavin Ramejkis
18   Posted 02/04/2011 at 18:14:17

Kevin, you can take a look yourself at their website www.dailymail.co.uk (don't buy a copy) and you'll find it littered with inciteful stories designed to get people's backs up generally along the lines of dodgy foreigners ripping us working taxpayers off to pay for any multitude of things such as housing, medical bills etc, if it's not the illegal immigrant card being played then its second choice is the great unwashed, grouping all people not working en masse as some form of lower life-form scrounging benefits.

Some of today's examples:

MAX HASTINGS: A nation divided: Britain is no longer split by class. Instead the social chasm is between taxpayers and the public sector

MICHAEL BURLEIGH: Up to his eyeballs in murder... Gaddafi's fingernail-puller-in-chief

EPHRAIM HARDCASTLE: Ed Miliband, the PM and an epic stag do

TOM UTLEY: A council survey about speed humps asks if I'm straight, gay or bisexual. Is there any madder example of government waste?

Single mother Britain: UK has most lone parents of any major European nation

Doctor of deception: Nigerian lived in £½m home with children at private schools... But she was hiding a fake ID

Brussels joins fight to ban free plastic bags

Crooked race lawyer 'invented claims to stop his firm's financial problems being exposed'

Tory minister: Feminism widened poverty gap and set social mobility back decades

'Hold Islam accountable': US pastor defiant after his Koran-burning publicity stunt led to two UN staff being beheaded and five others murdered.

Kevin Hudson
19   Posted 02/04/2011 at 18:32:02

Thanks for the info, Gavin. I've spent ¾ of my life overseas, and was never in on the joke when comedians always got a laugh out of mentioning the Daily Mail. I'll dutifully check it out to see if it is indeed as poisonous as everyone clearly believes it is.

Nice one.
Eugene Ruane
20   Posted 02/04/2011 at 19:49:10

Kevin Hudson ? I'm not trying to convert you, you read what you like.

My opinion is just and only that ? an opinion.

I detest their PRESENT piss-easy, lowest common-denominator stance on (fuck me, you name it!) gays, immigrants, Scousers, northerners and just about anyone else who is not an ex-public schoolboy from the 'home counties'.

Hope these help.

(for anything else, see any of shite written by their resident alehouse bore, Richard Littlejohn)

As I said, it tickles the tummy of the bile-filled and angry and for me, it's past praise for one of the greatest mass-muderers of all time, is just ONE of MANY reasons I despise it.

Now we have them (again) spouting bollocks about Everton, what's NOT to hate? (and for me Alex's last paragraph is perfect).

And by the way, Simon Templeman, ffs take your hand off it.

If you're going to argue straight-lines bollocks like that, you could argue this is an Everton website, not a humour site so there should be no humour'.

The subject of Everton and the Daily Mail was raised and it is natural that the paper's hateful, aggressive stance (it's 'politics') towards all kinds of groups will be mentioned.
Dean Adams
21   Posted 02/04/2011 at 20:19:55

We are now reaping the benefits of 12 years of labour bollocks and waste. I don't want my kids to pay for this mess.

Eugene Ruane
22   Posted 02/04/2011 at 20:39:56

I fancy a toasted cheese sandwich!

Dean Adams - I promise I REALLY thought about being polite but...fuck it, your post is such incredible bollocks you really don't deserve the courtesy.

First you say..

"You become what you think and say"

Wow, how philosophical and illuminating.

Wait, that makes me a toasted cheese sandwich - far ouuuut!

You continue

"We are now reaping the benefits of 12 years of labour bollocks and waste"

Right, because we NEVER had 'bollocks and waste' under the Tories....right?

That IS right isn't it?

Yeah Labour fucked up, but at least they had the excuse of WORLD recession to help them, rather than just good old-fashioned avarice and 'family values' (ie: nobbing your P.A)

You idiotically continue..

"I dont want my kids to pay for this mess"

Well, you know what, I DO want your kids to pay for it.

As I had to 'reap the benefits' of Thatcher's legacy, seems MORE than fair to me your kids should pay for labour's mess.

Or am I missing something?

I mean did useless, self-serving politicians appear only AFTER labour got in?

Pea-brained Poltroon!
Kevin Hudson
23   Posted 02/04/2011 at 20:34:45

Very interesting stuff Eugene,intrigued now...

I do remember the furore surrounding the Gately article, but never got to read it, until now; Wow.

I thought Charlie Brooker's rebuttal was brilliant.

Think I'll slip into an all-in-one Kevlar suit-tin hat combo with crucifix & eject seat just in case, and conduct further recon. Who are it's publishers, the Legion Of Doom?!

Thanks for the links.
Declan Brown
24   Posted 02/04/2011 at 21:32:29

Have to admit, I've read and enjoyed anything Richard Littlejohn has written, for whatever rag he wrote it for. I don't think anyone else has written so much common sense in my lifetime, but that's my opinion, I stand by it.

I'd see myself as moderately centre-right and, after what Labour has done to the country, I'd be happy never to vote for them in my lifetime. The Left / Liberal Elite have a lot to answer for in my opinion, especially right now.

Only Labour candidate / MP I'd ever like would be one that supports the Blues (eg, Andy Burnham). The rest I consider to be like Liverpool supporters, ain't got the time of day for them!!!
Alex Buckley
25   Posted 02/04/2011 at 22:10:43

Yet more garbage coming out the Mail.
Thomas Owen
26   Posted 02/04/2011 at 22:32:31

The mail spouts bullshit en masse about a wide ranging number of subjects. I especially like the number of different things they say give you cancer, Russel Howard did a great song about it! Baines and our other valued players won't need to go anywhere if Moyes sells off all the shite players we are carrying, ie, Anichebe, Billy, Yobo (make his loan permanent).
Eugene Ruane
27   Posted 02/04/2011 at 23:10:48

Declan Brown, re Littlejohn you say..

"I don't think anyone else has written so much common sense in my lifetime, but that's my opinion, I stand by it".

Good for you ,mate!

Don't let those hook-handed muslims push you around, it's political correctness gone mad! A minute's silence for the Japanese indeed and just what IS the problem with Golliwogs on jam-jars? It's politic.... oh I've done that.... er... bloody loony left!

(That Jeremy Clarkson, he's great too!)
Tony McNulty
28   Posted 03/04/2011 at 00:13:10

I cannot remember who it was, but someone a few years back said:

"The Sun plus Fear equals the Daily Mail"

Put it quite well, I thought.
Dean Adams
29   Posted 03/04/2011 at 00:22:04

Eugene Ruane

You seem intent on proving the point I made, such that you are the reason we are called bitter blues.

I was one of Thatcher's millions. Indeed, the same fate has repeated itself on numerous occasions. I have had more different careers than Hibbo has had Euro games and all parties are guilty but it is still no excuse to be so rude but I guess that is your lunatic red side showing itself, you obnoxious little man.

Andy Crooks
30   Posted 03/04/2011 at 00:26:04

Gavin, I read Max Hastings's anti-public sector rant today in work. I work in a library so I didn't buy it ? I earn a pittance and was fucking furious.

Frankly, about one in a thousand rumours surrounding Everton turn out to be true. There used to be some pretty decent football writers about, people with contacts who actually researched a story. Sadly, as money has destroyed football, the press (with a few exceptions) swallow the shit they are fed.

Declan Brown
31   Posted 03/04/2011 at 00:53:08

Eugene - Yes, Jeremy Clarkson, too!!!
Brendan O'Doherty
32   Posted 03/04/2011 at 03:03:06

Wouldn't wipe me hole with the colonialist Daily Mason.
Eugene Ruane
33   Posted 03/04/2011 at 07:46:02

Dean Adams, in response to your post (#29), I had intended to simply ask:

"Do you know how revealing your use of the phrase 'obnoxious little man' is?"

(And maybe "are you related to Margo Leadbetter?")

However, then I read..

"You seem intent on proving the point I made, such that you are the reason we are called bitter blues".

'SUCH - THAT - YOU - ARE - THE - REASON'!?

I'm now guessing you probably never actually BUY the Mail, but occasionally look at the pictures in copies discarded by those big fellers who give you your medication (and the occasional sly dig when you're playing up).

By the way, just out of interest, how did they get you to stop writing posts on the screen in crayon, then pressing send?

Would I be right in guessifying the usage of electricasious currency was thus usaged in a brainage type way - specificness to incorprifying volts and your napper?

(Idiocracy ? it lives!)
Andy Codling
34   Posted 03/04/2011 at 09:27:13

This kind of sums up the mail:

Karl Masters
35   Posted 03/04/2011 at 13:12:59

My God, Eugene!

These are fellow Evertonians you are arguing with. In fact (likely anyway) everybody you argue with on here (which is quite a large number of people) are Evertonians.

What are you like at the match??? A one-man riot, causing aggro wherever you tread? Makes me smile picturing it... :)
Eugene Ruane
36   Posted 03/04/2011 at 13:48:19

Karl Masters, it might appear that way to you, but keep in mind, my first post on any subject is very rarely..erm..'riotous'.

On this thread for instance.

My first post here simply attacks the Mail and (importantly!) gives my reasons for doing so (ie: their past support for Hitler and Mosley).

Ex-pat Kevin Hudson (reasonably) asks "Is that it - one transgression 77 years ago?"

I provided him links showing that was NOT the only reason (for which he seemed genuinely grateful).

So no problem so far.

There was also a difference of opinion with Declan Brown over Richard Littlejohn, but it was all kept fairly light and humourous - Declan certainly stuck to his guns and didn't appear overly offended.

Then Dean Adams arrives with..

"Eugene Ruane ? You become what you think and say, so I will say that that last paragraph once again takes you down to their level. We are now reaping the benefits of 12 years of labour bollocks and waste. I don't want my kids to pay for this mess".

Now keep this in mind - even though quite a few have posted a negative opinion of the Mail (ie: NOT just me) he has SPECIFICALLY addressed his post to/at me (nb: absolutely fine with me by the way).

And so I responded - TO HIM.

Well, If you take it from there, then all I am doing is fighting my corner the best way I can (legitimate surely?)

You might see me as overly aggressive but I ALWAYS try to go through, point-by-point (ie: quote-by-quote) WHY I think something is wrong/nonsense/bollocks etc and have never just responded (as a 'one-man riot' might) with 'cunt!'

(nb: remember, if someone writes cunty stuff, using cunty English, ultimately it's not ME who's making them look a cunt).

Maybe most importantly, TW is a forum for discussion, debate and argument on all things Everton and so far, I can honestly say that I have NEVER ONCE responded to...nothing.

In other words, it takes TWO to tango.

PS: By the way, your 'My God these are Evertonians' plea might have cut some ice had I not been on a Happy Al's to Sheffield a few seasons ago.
Simon Templeman
37   Posted 03/04/2011 at 16:39:28

Eugene, sit down and CALM down. Remember that any possible investor in OUR club is likely to be both wealthy and conservative. The rhetoric on here would put off most of those. ;-)
Eugene Ruane
38   Posted 03/04/2011 at 17:51:35

Simon Templeman, take your own advice ? you sit down and you CALM down.

And now take mine ? stop talking shite.

(Seriously, have you been on the piss?)

You appear to be suggesting (but, if I'm wrong, please tell me where and how) the possibility of a potential investor showing up and saying: "I'm a wealthy conservative and might possibly invest in Everton FC... but first I'll check TW to make sure there's no iffy rhetoric on there."

Wtf, ffs, etc.
Simon Templeman
39   Posted 03/04/2011 at 18:32:00

Eugene, it's linked to the spending power of the fanbase. Sit down old man.
Simon Templeman
40   Posted 03/04/2011 at 18:51:23

Eugene, please allow me to retract that remark. I had this argument with my dad so many times.