Feed the Yak

Having watched Everton struggle to draw a game in which they created a hatful of chances against a piss poor defence and in Beckford had a centre forward who failed to jump for one ball, what am I supposed to make of the news that James Vaughan scored the winner for Palace and the Yak got all 3 for Leicester?

Can someone please explain what is meant by the term 'on loan' and if, as it implies, we can recall such players, please tell David Moyes. We should be 2 points behind the RS this morning.
Mike Keating, City Centre     Posted 04/04/2011 at 11:33:08

Comments

Tony J Williams
1   Posted 04/04/2011 at 16:15:24

Leicester paid us for the loan so there would be a penalty if we recalled him.

Not too sure abour Vaughan but hardly setting the Championship alight with the 4th from bottom team Palace. His goal on Saturday was a penalty, so nothing about how his attacking prowess is going.

We do need someone though.
Paul Rice
2   Posted 04/04/2011 at 16:17:36

As Beckford has proven (although I still like the lads endevour).......the Premier and Championship are a gulf apart in terms of standard.

Same way that Beckford can't score in the Prem a semi shite Premiership striker can score in the lower league.

I wouldn't sweat it too much mate.

Look on the bright side - we're 7th and we've played some right rotting shite this season.
Paul Foster
3   Posted 04/04/2011 at 16:24:58

Where does this "Beckford can't hack it" stuff come from? He has scored 8 in 25 in a team that has hardly created a clear-cut chance all season. And remember, this is his first season in the top flight. If a foreign player had come in and bagged 8 in 25, I think we'd be pretty excited about his second season.
Nick Entwistle
4   Posted 04/04/2011 at 16:49:38

Paul! Away with you and your positivity!
Chris Bannantyne
5   Posted 04/04/2011 at 16:50:02

I agree with Paul. Of course we all want results not now, but yesterday! But I still think Beckford needs a bit more time to shine. He was never going to be setting the world alight this season, and who knows? He may never be that player.

I still think it's too early to write him off just yet. I personally predict more from him next season, and still regard him as being a mighty good bit of business (free) considering our financial constraints (by 'financial constraints' I mean 'piss poor chairman').
Chris Bannantyne
6   Posted 04/04/2011 at 17:06:56

Paul Foster that is...
Paul Rice
7   Posted 04/04/2011 at 17:16:12

I always have a lot of time for a lad who's prepared to run regardless of how shash he is.

I'd have a little more hope for Beckford if he was 19-20... as far as a striker goes he should be hitting the heights of fitness, nouse and skill at his age.

8 in 25 for someone who cost nothing more than wages is great........he's not exactly keeping a better striker out of the team either is he.

By comparison the other 2 players mentioned:

- The Yak, who has presumably eaten John Paul Kissock with a side order of fries.

- James Vaughan, a man who appears to be the sole inspiration for the character 'Glassman' in Unbreakable and has all the sporting nouse of Forest Gump........ruuuuuuun Forest, ruuuuuuuuuuun

Rob Murphy
8   Posted 04/04/2011 at 17:27:30

So you respect guys who run around the place but you have no respect for James Vaughan who is the ultimate when it comes to running around the place???
Alex Kociuba
9   Posted 04/04/2011 at 17:24:46

Its obvious to a blind man Beckford is garbage. As far as I can see he's scored six, not eight.
James Martin
10   Posted 04/04/2011 at 17:31:25

Ridiculous Beckford bashing. Can anyone remember just how bad Yakubu and even Saha were earlier in the season? How many Everton goals has Vaughan got?

I think Beckford is a masterstroke by Moyes. He got him FOR FREE (not for £35 million), he's the only one in the team with any pace and, despite what the unbelievably negative critics say, he does have finishing prowess, even the one that was disallowed against Villa was an amazing finish, but no everyone wants some sort of cultured curl round the keeper finish every time fresh from the Playstation.

I prefer someone who just gets it in the net, which Beckford has a surprising amount of times this season considering it's his first season, has been used from the bench mostly, often plays as a lone striker, and was playing for a relegation threatened team until about a month ago.

Give the lad a break, a full season with a regular strike partner and on his current rate he'd probably be plus 20 goals.

Paul Gladwell
11   Posted 04/04/2011 at 18:14:25

Beckford over both of them, 8 goals in how many starts is not too bad, it`s a better ratio than any other striker at the club this season I think, aside from that first miss, he did a lot of good things on Saturday.

As for the Yak he should be still with us. Vaughan ? can you remember some of his last games? He was woeful.

Tony Waring
12   Posted 04/04/2011 at 18:30:13

James @ #10. You're dead right.
Jimmy Hacking
13   Posted 04/04/2011 at 18:39:15

Just watched the Yak's hat-trick on the BBC website.

I could have scored those. Defending was cataclysmically bad. How often do you get handed three on a plate in the Prem? Never, that's how often.

That said, I still believe we shouldn't have loaned him out, decent striker.
James Stewart
14   Posted 04/04/2011 at 19:05:58

Vaughan is not the answer, he was always a headless chicken.

Yakubu's hat trick wasn't impressive at all but I have to say I think it was a mistake to send him out on loan. He is needed at the moment as we simply don't have a replacement.

Here's hoping Magaye gets some game time up there & not Vic!
Joe McMahon
15   Posted 04/04/2011 at 19:52:29

I agree, will people stop slagging Beckford. He also scored a perfectly good goal on Sat (didn't he). He hasn't started that many games, isolated upfront on his own (like many other forwards have been over the Moyes years).

His goals against Blackpool, Bolton (when just come on) and his goal at Anfield were all taken with confidence and ability. Give him a break. Saha went nearly a year without a goal, as as for Vic!

John Audsley
16   Posted 04/04/2011 at 20:08:46

I like Beckford and always will, he's given more this season than some others combined.

He needs time, coaching and service... BUT where the coaching will come from is anyone's guess.........
Michael Brien
17   Posted 04/04/2011 at 20:39:17

Beckford has done well in what is his first season in the Premier League. Some other points to consider-

1) More often than not, when he has started, it it has been as a lone striker. That's a pretty demanding role for a striker of international experience let alone one new to the Premier League.

2) A lot of the time he has been brought on with less than 20 minutes to go, not exactly much time in which to make an impression.

3) Ever heard of the football expression "Striking Partnership"? Examples: Sharp & Gray, Sharp & Lineker, Sharp & Heath, Latchford & McKenzie. Not too may examples at Goodison in the last few seasons.

I heard an interview with Moyes when Dithering Davey said that he had made a mistake in not signing another striker in the summer ? is having 3 or 4 strikers on the bench not enough?

I admire Beckford for just getting on with it ? he must think he has signed for the wrong club, given the lack of service to the striker and the lack of support by his manager. Have you forgotten West Ham away ? NO recognised striker!!!! Cahill upfront because he has scored a lot of headed goals!!!!!

Moyes doesn't know how to get the best out of his creative players and his strikers. Until he starts to show more adventure in his tactics, we could have David Villa upfront and he would struggle.

Paul Rice
18   Posted 04/04/2011 at 21:20:22

Rob - 8

I never said I don't respect James Vaughan ? anyone who pulls on the Royal Blue and gives 100% in my book, regarless of shiteness (after all, it's not there fault they're shite), deserves a clap.

Problem with Vaughan is that he runs around then either smashes himself into oblivion or smashes someone into oblivion and gets sent off.

The lower divisions even made Brett Angell look good at one time or another ? my point being I wouldn't sweat on having two semi-shite strikers out of the team and bash Beckford because they're no better than him.

Besides we're 7th... pretty good considering how this season looked.

Mark Rankin
19   Posted 04/04/2011 at 21:42:39

I think it's great Yakubu is netting a few times as it might mean a few more quid for him in the summer or a bit more confidence for next season!
Alex Kociuba
20   Posted 04/04/2011 at 21:49:02

James, I see people agreeing with you ? let's pick up on a few things you say:

"Beckford is a masterstroke"
"The only one in the team with any pace"
"He does have finishing prowess"
"I prefer someone who just gets it in the net which Beckford has a surprising amount of times this season."
"On his current rate he'd probably be plus 20 goals."

I mean, seriously, this is all just sheer nonsense.

"Give the lad a break" ? boo fucking hoo.
Jimmy Sorheim
21   Posted 04/04/2011 at 21:59:56

First, stop bashing our club's strikers that have found form now. Second, I dont like negative after negative name calling towards the club that I love! Third, I happen to like the fact that both Yakubu and Vaughan have found many goals again, that to me is a sign of good things to come. This might be just what they both need in order to come back and hit the ground running come next season.

So stop complaining all the time about our strikers hitting form. It just sounds childish, and is not productive. I do agree that they should both be recalled. If only Vaughan, than that would also help us until the end of the season, by reaching 5th place and Europe we will all praise Vaughan and the club again!!!!!

Anthony Millington
22   Posted 04/04/2011 at 23:34:58

James Martin,

How many Everton goals has Vaughan got? I'll answer that, he's not got many because he's never given a game! He's not had half the chance Beckford has been given by Moyes. How can you ask that question, when was the last time he started upfront like Beckford does? How can you possibly expect him to score when he never gets given a chance!

Also, who made this rule up that if you run around and put in a shift for the team you're a headless chicken?! One of the rare players we have with pace and commitment and he gets slated for it and loaned out while we have the Bily's in this world costing a fortune and can barely run or manages 90 minutes!

I think we should have kept Yakubu because he can hold the ball up and will score goals if he's given games. Silly by Moyes to loan them both out when we all knew Saha and Victor were going to get injured at some stage.
Eric Myles
23   Posted 05/04/2011 at 02:23:49

Mike, it's all about the money, we can't pay the wages so there's no way we will have any players back from their loans.
James Martin
24   Posted 05/04/2011 at 10:33:22

I'm not saying I don't want Vaughan back, he could turn out to be a useful player, I'm merely refuting unfair criticism of Beckford. Hey but if people here want to start a season pinning their hopes on a youngster who gets injured all the time but bagged a few for Palace leading the Everton line, then go for it.

What's nonsense about at his current rate he'd probably get 20 a season, he's started less than half of the games and got 8 which should in theory be 9, meaning even with a harsh estimate he'll probably finish the season on 10 goals. Is it really that ridiculous therefore to think that, if he has another season starting a lot of games with a strike partner, he'd get near 20? ... Yeah, now I read it ? how absurd.

Alex, rather than just inanely tearing other peoples posts in a nonsensical manner, how about actually contributing something to the debate.

Anthony Millington
25   Posted 05/04/2011 at 11:43:26

Beckford's doing alright ? he scored 6 goals in the Premier League, nothing to get too excited about. I certainly can't see him getting 20 goals a season, or even 15 for that matter, but at least he's not injured like all our other strikers (apart from the ones on loan!). Don't get me wrong, that was a great finish against Villa and should have been a goal, but what about the first half when he missed that one-on-one?

I think we're getting rid of 2 good strikers in Yak and Vaughan, let's just hope they get replaced! It's going to cost a few bob to replace them!
Paul Rice
26   Posted 05/04/2011 at 14:29:02

Expensive depending on whether the replacements - Purple Aki and Bubba from Forest Gump have decent agents.
Eugene Ruane
27   Posted 05/04/2011 at 21:09:05

I don't really get the downer some have on Beckford, or the Yak for that matter.

Beckford's not setting the world on fire (and never will) but I think he's ok and I've seen loads worse (in the PL generally and for us!).

Also I think all this 'he comes from a lower league' stuff is bollocks - loads of great players have come from the lower leagues.

As for the Yak, at his fattest he was still thinner/fitter than Bob Latchford (and I LOVED Bob Latchford!).

Difference is Latchford had great service for much of his time at Everton (nb: he wouldn't even THINK of moving his arse for a shitty ball that he had to run for).

I understand the frustration at our inability to regularly find the net and the desire to try to pin-point the reasons why we don't.

I just don't think Beckford and/or the Yak are the reasons.